The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

If you could create a mechanic to stop proxy camping what would it be?

LadyOwO
LadyOwO Member Posts: 231

title

Comments

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,713

If somehow I needed to:

I'd give the killer something like the conspicuous mechanic. Keep the AFC system, but also create another system that if the killer doesn't get in a chase, kick a gen, break a wall, or get far away from the hook, then that would also kick in as unhook gain.

I don't think its needed however.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,656

Hook times should match gen speeds.

It's non-abusable, and makes all forms of camping less efficient. (Also makes lingering for tunneling less efficient).

If the killer wants to stand and stare at furniture, then go for it. This does nothing to player autonomy and people can still choose to camp if they want. But it means that you're basically guaranteed to lose gens if you camp early. And does literally nothing to the end game.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,081

a blight can abuse teleporting hooks because he can stand near hooks when hook teleports than use his blight rush to get to the hook. that is same thing for every mobility killer.

really best solution is current anti-face camp mechanic with no restriction within 24 meter radius except for two. if someone is slugged within 24 meter radius, it is paused and the killer has 10 second to leave hook after completing hook action. during these 10 seconds, hook timer is paused. hook timers are 60 seconds. self-hook timer requires 10 seconds to fill.

ranged killer can still somewhat proxy camp vaguely alongside killers like Leatherface and Michael Myer's with tombstone but it should solve a 97% cases of proxy camping. In truth, killer shouldn't be rewarded with hook regression presence. hook regression should be more of precedent to unhook when killer leaves hooks but it is currently being used skip hook-states because of BVHR poor killer balance.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,465

Proxy camping doesn't need a mechanic to fix it since its not something that's a problem with the game. If you wanted to fix it you would also effectively remove most of the pressure of hooking a survivor and the point of the timer in the first place because there isn't a punishment for being late if the killer can't be around the hook.

That said just allow unhooking to occur at any hook in the map after killer has been within 24-32m for x amount of time.

Oh you got a basement hook and spent time setting up 4 traps at every entrance, exit, and on the stairs, well I unhooked them on this hill over here

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,216

This is not a bad idea, i did encounter a huntress that knew where the "cages" were, and kept running there, making them move all the time, and making a save impossible.

• k3ijus
    k3ijus Member Posts: 242

slow down hook timer whilst the killer is within 24m, and stop it entirely if within 8m

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 675

We don't need one, we have AFC and 70 second hooks now.

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 981

To be honest, if you want to stop killers from trying to get the first kill ASAP, you should should add a slowdown to gen speed when all 4 survivors are alive and buff the speed progressively when there are 3, 2 and 1 survivor alive. It just makes sense

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

Might as well implement a permanent anti hook mechanic honestly. Oh and also an anti injure survivor mechanic, that would be dope. Ooooooh now that I think about it an anti killer movement mechanic would be sick too!

• Bookern
    Bookern Member Posts: 162

C&T is so ingrained in the game if it was completely removed Killers especially weaker ones would have to get massive buffs to keep up, Time to down would have to be drastically reduced, Pallets and Vaults would have to be unsafer.

Also this is just me but i wanted a sprint burst like effect for m1 killers after they hook someone to get back to objectives faster

• PuddleOfBludd
    PuddleOfBludd Member Posts: 87

survivors can abuse this by staying within 24 m of the hook for chase. It’s not realistic.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,718

display of anti face camp bar on the hud.

• LittleBigSunset
    LittleBigSunset Member Posts: 239
    edited September 1

Not really sure there is a way to 'stop' it. Killers could certainly use some better incentives to not do it though. Need more perks to be designed like Pop and Grim Embrace, where leaving the hook and targetting multiple survivors rewards you.

I think unless something drastic is added like a new gameplay mechanic to build off the game's foundation there's not much you can do. This game is very limited in terms of design in my eyes. How does the game detect that the killer is proxy camping and ensure it is genuine? How could it be balanced around killers that can return to the hook extremely quickly? What does it do if survivors are nearby? How could it actually punish the killer? These are all questions that need to be answered and I'm not sure the game is capable of addressing them well enough for there to be any point in adding a built in anti-proxy camp incentive as it is. You'd need an entirely new mechanic to address it, if that makes any sense.

EDIT: Just realised I completely avoided answering the question, which is what that mechanic would be lmao. I have no idea. It's a minefield of issues you'd have to address to make sure you get it right. Something like the cage moving mechanic as others have mentioned seems like the best 'solution', but it would need some heavy tweaking to ensure it doesn't give hooked survivors a free get out of jail card.

Eg: unlike cages, you know where the hooked survivor is. You see someone running in for the save and follow them. Instead of saving, they loop you around/near the hooked survivor. Hooked survivor is moved because game thinks you are proxy camping. You are still wasting time chasing the other survivor and the hooked survivor is almost guaranteed to be saved with no risk. Cages normally move no matter if a survivor is close by, so the mechanic needs to be adjusted somewhat given the above scenario.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,844

Show the anti face camp meter on the hud. If the other survivors can see that it is slowly filling they know the killer has set up a tent near the hook.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,277

If all other survivors are working on gens, the hook timer ticks up, instead of down. This allows the most suggested counter (just do gens) to work better as a counter, while being very easy for the killer to cancel out.

• Spirit_IsTheBest
    Spirit_IsTheBest Member Posts: 935
    edited September 1

Buff the anti-camp meter range so proxy camping is more risky, but other than that there are lots of perks to help with camping, and since hook timers were increased to 70 seconds, survivors have a bit more time to do generators while the killer decides to camp instead.

I feel like tunneling is a bigger issue.

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 251
    edited September 1

significantly tighten up the MMR system

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,892

To stop proxy-camping would severely limit the freedom of the killer.

It would also widen the gap between killers in terms of strenght. The weaker ones get weaker and the strong er one barely take a hit.

I know that proxy-camping and camping as a whole is unpleasant gameplay for the survivor role, however, its is sometimes the necessary evil for killers to create some pressure.

In the current state of the game, I dont think proxy-camping should be touched.

• SpitefulHateful
    SpitefulHateful Member Posts: 278

What is proxy camping even?

If I catch three survivors sneaking around their buddy I've just hooked, that means nobody is doing gens and I'm not letting this advantage go to waste. How can I proxy camp if I'm not given an incentive to leave the area with the hooked survivor?