The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

This is why the distortion nerf is gonna be a problem

CrackedShevaMain
CrackedShevaMain Member Posts: 408
edited September 16 in Feedback and Suggestions

The last three days, 80 percent of the killers I’ve faced have been running full aura builds for 3 perks and then Iron Maiden. I don’t know if a streamer or popular player has pushed it but it’s literally 4 out of every 5 killers I’ve gotten suddenly running this. Getting in lockers is supposed to the the other counter to aura reading but with Iron Maiden it’s completely nullified. Distortion is the only perk survivors have to counter full aura builds. Nerfing that is gonna cause a huge problem and I’m waiting for the backlash to it.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,081

BVHR will just nerf killer aura perks that over-perform. no issues. Looking at play-rates, i think it is obvious which ones are the most common.

• MarbleThrone
    MarbleThrone Member Posts: 421

Where exactly did you read it's going to be nerfed?

All it says in the Sep-Oct section of the roadmap is Perk Updates. That can be anything.

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 608

It is sometimes so funny when players complain about killer's aura perks when survivors actually have the much stronger and better aura reading perks and killers have nothing to counter them reliable. When I play survivor, I rather love to play against killers with aura perks because these killers are interested in chases and funny stuff and not in tunnling at 5gens to win the game. It is also much better than sitting five business days on a Generator because your one ate every genregression you could ask for. Also not every killer runs full aura reading build. Most of them run either full slowdown or one infoperk. Full aura reading means also no genslowdown. I also rather like to play aura perks as a survivor because they are much stronger. Troubleshooter, Alert, Wire Trap, and Kindred are really strong perks that give you so many great informations outside but especially during a chase. You can deny every mindgame and go for risky plays because you now know how safe they are. Some of these Perks also got better with the new Eyes of Belmont Perk as two extra seconds are so big and the aura info after every gen comes really handy. The Key Addon is also so stupid because you just have to press a button to get wallhecks. Nothing to do or any requirement needed. There is also no hint for the killer that a survivor is using an aura reading perk/item/addon. In case of the killers, you can role it out by their behaviour but in case of survivor you rather think this one is either a god tier survivor or a cheater.

The only fair and balanced killer was old Overheat Billy without any perks and addons!

This is not only a Tik Tok thing: players dc once something is there or happens that they don't like. For example the Otz law; if there is a map offering and a survivor dcs, it is usual the one with the map offering because something happened that this one didn't like. Players dc for the tiniest reasons and I really wonder why they don't play in a costume game. Of cause, a dc or a hook kill has no drawback and punishment besides ruin the fun for the other players but this is something this one player does not care. I really wish the developers would increase the dc penalty and make hook kill a reportable reason.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,279

Try gearhead. It tends to chew through distortion tokens VERY quickly.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,811

Technically Distortion has to be purchased via Jeff. I wouldn’t call OoO or SP equivalent as they don’t block aura reading, they just reveal the killer’s aura during times when the killer can see that survivor’s aura.

• ControllerFeedback
    ControllerFeedback Member Posts: 50
    edited September 9

Yeah you're right. Maybe an overhaul to the Shrine of Secrets is in order, licensers and financials willing.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,580

What happens now when Lethal Pursuer doesn't show me 4 survivors at the start of the game?

• Whoever hasn't the perk equipped will eat most of the chases.
    • If I manage to get someone with the perk, I will not let him go out of my sight.

When I see nobody, that's an immediate tunnel/slug mode.

When no distortion, I'm more relaxed and can spread the hooks (unless gen-rush, and then we go back to tunnel/slug)

As far as I'm concerned, distortion isn't very nice in general and is only "nice" for survivors if they all equip it.

As survivor it's one of the few perks I'd rather not equip because I don't want to be remote-camped.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,879

If they had a different way to earn distortion stacks it would by far be better. In its current state it is overtuned and straight up just promotes horrible team gameplay.

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 418

All they gotta do is make it so you earn stacks through chases and just adjust the numbers so you can get the stacks back through a respectable amount of time. It's all it needs really, doing so will greatly incentivize people to engage with the killer so they aren't sitting on gens all much hogging up the hook states.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,131

^ This. Distortion as it is is unhealthy. It helps you hide and you regain stacks by hiding, encouraging a one-note gameplay style that hurts the team. I'm tired of having Distortion-using teammates who hide around the edges of the map and are totally useless. Distortion should regain stacks when in chase. Engaging with the killer is an important part of the game.

• TragicSolitude

I already don't survive most matches. A large number of my teammates go down in about five seconds as is, there won't be any change there. But the majority of survivors running Distortion right now in my matches do nothing but hide along the edges. If anyone escapes, it's them, through a hatch, because by not participating they've ensured 5 gens won't get done and everyone else will die. Those are my Distortion-running teammates, and I'm sick of it. They'll never get better at anything because they don't try, they don't participate. The ones who go down five seconds in a chase will either hopefully get better over time or move to a different game.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,811
  • TragicSolitude
    edited September 10

Pessimistic means expecting the worst. I was mostly describing what I have experienced, not what I expect. In terms of expectations, I expect that if it's harder for players to hide all match with Distortion then they will hopefully be forced to participate and either improve or move on to a different game.

Unfortunately, the Distortion-for-hiding-all-match thing is also done by trolls who want to watch the world burn (one of them had a name that actually promised the killer a 3k at 5 gens, not joking, when I realized that I was mad at myself for not paying attention to the lobby), so it's not just about needing to improve. I have no fix for that, as players will always find ways to troll their teammates. That might be a bit pessimistic in terms of expectations of player behavior, but I think that's the case with most multiplayer games and something devs are supposed to take into account when designing gameplay mechanics.

• catfam05
    catfam05 Member Posts: 15

I have not played one match where the killer has not used an aura reading perk or add on. The nerf I read is ridiculous. If I understand correctly my aura will be hidden while in chase. So in the killers face my aura is hidden but um hello I am in his face. How do players use strategies to go against killers if they see us the whole match. So many say it is used so you can hide all match. Ok maybe some do that but some of us legit use it to be able to do what we do. For example I am a sabo girl. So many aura perks would stop me from being able to do it at all if my aura was not hidden. It is bad enough killers typically run straight back to the hook try and get an easy kill. Sabo was buffed with additional speeds to toolboxes to do it but now why would we even? How would we even know to get in a locker. So every time a killer comes near a gen, chest, totem, carrying a survivor hooking we all have to hop in a locker?? So then they have Iron Maiden and then we are all exposed and probably down and slugged. Cuz we all know they love to slug. You mine as well delete distortion all together it is worthless. You want to know why so many people use it um cuz everywhere you go and everything you do reveals your aura. Not just that but perks like discordance tells them when two are on a gen and if I am right the general location? So not aura reveal but lets be honest a reveal none the less. If we cannot hide our aura basically ever they should not be able to see our aura ever. Take them all out. Including scratched mirror and other add ons that reveal auras. We are basically all being forced to use shadow step on multiple survivors to cover the whole map to hide our aura from totems, chests, gens, scorched hook aura reveal you name it. I have to admit I usually roll with the changes but this one is crazy. Forcing us to bless totems (with the lovely new totem block we have to wait to wear off and tells the killer oh hey they touched that). Fair question WHY?? so many changes all the time. Leave the game alone! Let us play it stop adding and making changes like this that are not necessary. The only reason would be to satisfy killer complaints they cannot find everyone. Well duh we need to survive to get the objective done so distortion. I get that some hide that use it, that is on them and case by case and maybe should be a reportable offense versus nerfing the only perk we have next to forcing us to bless to help us. I have to get tokens back which I cannot do with a stalker so I bet none of them complained. I really hope this is not actually going to happen unless the remove all killer aura reveal perks and add ons. Not nerf remove because distortion is not nerfed it is basically removed even though you could still use it totally worthless.

• devoutartist
    devoutartist Member Posts: 108

lmfao the thing is that there a chunk of killers perks that burn tough distortions ppl just don't want to run them and then complain even then it's so easy to play around it btw as a heads up i don't run distortion it's overrated but im personal down with the nerf at one condition and that is perks that give permeance in the game should get nerf like light born it should give you immunity on flashes when it happens then have a lingering effect of the immunity for a extra maybe 10 sec then it goes on cooldown for 60 sec of something like this also i don't uses flashlight or flashbangs (there useless on average) but ill make the same argument that killers make with distortions even tough the distortions argument is a strawman at best or a lack of playing in a way that counters it light born completely invalidates anything that's involve with a good chunk of survivors mechanics including saves

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,060

Then your killers are bad, and your team is worse for losing to them. I've never considered running an all aura build on anyone except Huntress, because those builds actually suck. "But the killer can see us the entire time!" Nowhere near that. And also that means he has zero gen or chase perks. The match is legit free is the survivors are good. And I only face good survivors, so I don't run crap like that.

• Cabalin
    Cabalin Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1

I run Distortion all the time. For me it is one of my main perks in Dead by Daylight, because it keeps the game from being a chore and unbalanced. When I play as killer, I use aura reading perks, so when I play survivor, I use the builds that would counter my killer builds. I remember before I started using Distortion, every killer was running BBQ and Chili, and you know what? The game isn’t fun when the killer goes directly to you after every hook. Now there are a ton of additional aura reading perks for killer. To those of you who are saying nerfing Distortion is a good thing because of all the people who stay at the edge of the map doing nothing, the problem is not the perk. The problem is that the players do nothing, and they’re going to do that regardless. When I use Distortion, it allows me to finish my generator without being interrupted, it allows me to unhook people because the killer doesn’t know where I am. It does not hurt your team. It gives you a ton of information that you can tell teammates if you are playing with friends. You can tell that the killer has Lethal Pursuer at the beginning, BBQ and Chili after hooks, Nurse’s Calling if you are healing someone. It is a tremendously useful perk. Not everyone is good at or likes being chased or looping. I don’t use Decisive Strike or Dead Hard because I am bad at them. I think underestimating how much Distortion contributes to the survivor experience is a mistake, and the proposed changes will probably turn some people off from playing the game.

• GroßusSchmiedus
    GroßusSchmiedus Member Posts: 515
    edited September 14

Either you are selling bullshit desperatly trying to save distortion cause among the most 10 most used perks only about 3 are aura based (see here and here) and what you claim is statistically VERY unlikely or you are genuinely lucky with your lobbies, no irony here.

I would EASILY trade killers dragging the game with 3-4 gen regression/blocking perks for full aura Killers every single time, especially because they tend to be aggressive and less boring.

Post edited by GroßusSchmiedus on
  • Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 478

This is FAAAR from being a problem since this means less 4 gen slowdown builds and more chases. That is the actual fun in the game is doing the chases and not hiding/sitting on gens the entire game. BHVR even knows already that DBD isn't a simple hide & seek game anymore and is why they're actively trying to discourage hiding the entire match.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,431

So if they are doing that, then they aren't running a single gen defense perk. So those gens should be flying.,

• Yggleif
    Yggleif Member Posts: 170

I'm convinced survivors just don't want killers to have perks.

They already gutted slowdown are you really going to complain about perks that are only oppressive if you don't know how to loop? This sounds like a skill issue.

• GenmLV10
    GenmLV10 Member Posts: 40

If Survivors can easily evade the Killer's sight for the entire game, it will prevent the game from being played properly and will even extend the duration. Therefore, the current version of "Distortion" should not exist as a perk.

In recent updates, the developers have been committed to reducing game length. That's why they introduced the 3-gen mechanic, nerfed generator regression perks and stopped releasing new ones, added or adjusted perks that increase generator repair speed, and implemented aura-reading perks to help Killers find Survivors more quickly.

There’s no problem with releasing aura perks because they effectively speed up the game, which is exactly what the developers want. In the past, generator regression perks were heavily criticized, particularly for contributing to longer games. As a result, the developers have stopped creating new regression perks and instead frequently release aura perks to speed up the game's progress, aligning with what most players originally wanted.

• Attckcat
    Attckcat Member Posts: 58

You'd think so, but those people not doing gens are still not doing gens but with Sole Survivor or Shadowstep instead. So the killer has an easier time chasing away the ones that are.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,431

So survivors don't do gens, but somehow you still think they should be able to win? Sounds like the survivors are losing because they aren't doing the gens, not because of some perk.

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 251

unless we are talking about "perma" aura reading builds and NTH as a perk, why is it actually problematic to see a killer running full aura build? First of all, it's a low chance killer will start chasing you if aura of whole team is revealed. Second, even if chase is started, killer is definitely not guaranteed to win it. Third, full aura reading builds remove all the pressure killer can create from their build.

• Kilodesu
    Kilodesu Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2

Yet lightborn has no charges and can prevent every blinding item and perk, hypocrisy is real. Weave + Franklin destroying solo queue and distortion was nerfed before that was nerfed.

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 990

What? We have more aura reading today that tells you when it's in play than we ever have had before.

Like it doesn't matter how much aura reading is in the game if most of it sucks. When's the last time you saw call of brine? Realistically you only have to worry about three aura perks and you know what they are. Lethal, nowhere to hide and BBQ. You're only gonna see the other ones on huntress.

OP: three aura perks is awful on most killers. Namely because distortion exists and you cannot burn through tokens faster than they can regenerate with standard TR killers. You're much better off running game stall because it's reliable.

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 990

Yeah, that's why tokens should be tied to gen progress.