The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

EAC bugged after Castlevania update

Comments

• dmitrilessy
    dmitrilessy Member Posts: 16

Dude the game is 70 Gb lol. but yeah I thought the same too, what if I installed another game that is using EAC, wouldn't it be registered as installed?

So this may work after all. But I am using Fortnight, at least it's only 45 Gb.

• dmitrilessy

Hi everyone,

I just want to confirm that I did this and it works, Dead by Daylight is now playable. I didn't install Guild Wars 2 on Steam since the game is 70 Gb in size but I was in a hurry to try so I just installed Fortnight on Epic, it's 45 Gb. If anyone wanna try this I recommend spending more time to search for smaller game.

The main thing to do this is to find another game that uses EAC so it will be installed when you install the game. You can refer to this page by SteamDB. Once the game is installed, play it and it will automatically install EAC. Leave everything the way it is. Close the game. Open Dead by Daylight. It should now work because now EAC is already installed. They only need one installation of EAC.

Issue Summary, if you wanna read it instead of playing for some reason.

Background issue:

1. Dead by Daylight can't start because it is saying that Easy AntiCheat cannot initiate.
      1. It is impossible to know for sure whether EAC fails to initiate because it is installed but fails to initiate or that it is not installed. However, after I installed Fortnight I checked and found an Easy AntiCheat folder inside Fortnight folder.
      2. I believe EAC is game-dependent in away that it is bundled and installed along with a game that uses it BUT it will not install again if it's already found in the system. Similar to the way Visual C++ Redistributable is applied by games, I guess.
    2. Easy AntiCheat cannot initiate for Dead by Daylight because EasyAntiCheat_EOS_Setup.exe file located in Easy AntiCheat folder inside the game installation files can not initiate properly. When you click on it, something flashes like a DOS window or something but it is too fast to read anything on it then the window is closed. I believe it should instead initiate and install EAC if it's not found on the system and if it is found then it will proceed and start the game. I checked, the EAC folder in Dead by Daylight and it is different size from the one in Fortnight.

Solution that does not work:

1. The quick repair for this is to INSTALL or REINSTALL EAC on your system, right? However, all tutorial for this refers to the game's EAC folder, which DOES NOT WORK for Dead by Daylight since the EasyAntiCheat_EOS_Setup.exe does not work so stop telling people to click on the file.
    2. The next thing to do is to download the EAC installer on your own, you know, like a normal person. This seems to be impossible since EAC does not seem to provide the installer for end-user to download. Why??? I have no idea. This is really annoying. So you can not download the installer.

Solution that works:

1. The last thing to do is to get a game that uses EAC and install it. In the first guy's post he used Guild Wars 2 on Steam, for me I used Fortnight.

Please note that I have with me a .zip file of the folder EasyAntiCheat from Fortnight if anyone want to try replacing the one they have for Dead by Daylight and se if it works so you don't have to install an entire game just to have EAC. Anyone can do this and share so this could be a quicker solution for others. Careful though because anyone could just replace the .exe file with anything so if you don't know what you're doing then get the EAC from a trusted friend I believe we all have at least that one friend who plays Fortnight, right?

Note for BEHAVIOUR INTERACTIVE, no thanks to you and no need to respond to my days old complaint just check your Easy AntiCheat files FFS and get your s**** together.

On the side note, I have reasons to believe that this latest mess is a combination of BI (for not having their EAC dependent files through QC), Epic (for having such bizarre software and for having websites with no support or download page for your own software, kudoz to you, if no one can download your software, no one can exploit it, right on) and of course Microsoft with their Windows 11 recent policy to tighten security for certain files and folders. For example, notice that .exe files off your games installed by Microsoft Store or Xbox for PC app can no longer be interacted with by 3rd-party software. This is either the next mess or will blows over by the next update and on to the next mess.

Sometimes I am paranoid and think that perhaps they all do this on purpose and make it harder and harder to just want to play a game just so PC gamers give up and buy their consoles.

• crystalkitti
    crystalkitti Member Posts: 376
    edited September 9

Hate to burst your bubble, but installing/updating/running another game that also uses EAC doesn't work (for me, at least.) 😥 That was one of the first things I tried, and I tried with multiple games. I've been completely unable to play DBD since the Castlevania update, meanwhile all other games that use EAC will run fine.

I'm very happy for you that you got your game working, though!! fingers crossed mine will eventually work too, LOL

• dmitrilessy

Was just trying to help. Should goes without saying that I wrote based on what I experienced in reference to the comment of the guy saying he did the same thing and it worked.

However, it isn't clear for me what you meant by "one of the first things I tried". I don't think it is quite the same as what I tried?

To be clear, here is what I tried based on the suggestion by the other guy I mentioned so I was talking in reference to our unique condition:

• I have no other games using EAC.
    • Dead by Daylight EAC not working.
    • I installed another game using EAC.
    • Dead by Daylight works just fine now.

In your case, you already have other games using EAC and Dead by Daylight still having similar issue. So it's different from our "bubble".

Also, care to explain what do you mean by "I tried with multiple games"?

Here is a few thigs you may try which I am sure you already tried and goes without saying is based on my bubble:

• Replace the EasyAntiCheat_EOS_Setup.exe file inside folder C:\XboxGames\Dead By Daylight\Content\EasyAntiCheat with the one from your other games using EAC? The folder should be located inside each game using EAC. That file seems to be the problem with Dead by Daylight. Try that if you haven't and if it still doesn't work then forgive my bubble.

• Witchu
    Witchu Member Posts: 16

I've tried this too and it doesn't work for me either. And still no response from behavior.

• Ankhman
    Ankhman Member Posts: 8

The objection here might be your opening statement:

"I just want to confirm that I did this and it works, Dead by Daylight is now playable."

For you, it's playable. For many of us who heard about this "fix" over a week ago and for whom it did not work, the game is still unplayable. And we have tried fiddling with EAC (along with trying all of the other suggestions in this thread and across Reddit, the Discussion group on Steam, this forum, etc.) which have not worked.

And we're very frustrated that 2 weeks on BHVR has still not fixed this bug. And it's most certainly a bug.

In that light, I believe that statements like yours will only create false hope in those who read it. It did for me.

As have many of us, I have already tried multiple variations of restoring the EAC install from other games and from the install folder to no effect.

So to sum up.. for many of us, who have spent hours at this point trying to fix a problem that is clearly on the BHVR side..

..the game is in fact decidedly UNplayable.

• JocelynAwakens
    JocelynAwakens Member, Administrator, Mod, Co-ordinator Posts: 1,589

We are still actively investigating the issue. We do not have an ETA or an update at this time.

• crystalkitti

Sorry! let me clarify that I didn't mean for my reply to come across as annoyed or short-tempered... May have accidentally put that vibe out there, as I'd just gotten done with a stressful round in another game when I was typing it up. Pardon me!

And what I meant was, I have numerous other games that require EAC to function. All of them (and their EACs) are up-to-date, but it doesn't seem to boot DBD's EAC into working… I don't want to try replacing/editing EAC files as I don't want a false alarm to go off in EAC and potentially ban me for 'file editing…' Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd rather not risk it.

Only option right now is to wait for BHVR to fix it… hoping they can figure it out soon 😭

• ZeroXez
    ZeroXez Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2

I am not taking credit for this. I found it on Reddit.
    but I have tried this and it has work for me, but the game still boot up very slow and I have a high-end PC and sometimes I have the close game reboot it is boot and it take forever load. But try this. Let me know if it works for you guys.

I found an actual fix after trying all the others which were reported to work. Repairing the installation and reinstalling the game just wasted time, don't bother. I use the Xbox app on PC, but this should work with Epic Games too (that's where I got the idea).

-Navigate to the EasyAntiCheat folder in your Dead by Daylight install directory.

-Locate the EasyAntiCheat_EOS_Setup.exe file

-Right-click the file and select Create shortcut (don't drag to Desktop, shortcut in the same folder is fine)

-Right-click the shortcut and select Properties

-In the Target box, after the existing text, add the words " install prod-fn" without quotes. NOTE THAT THERE IS A SPACE AT THE BEGINNING

The end of the text should now look like: EasyAntiCheat_EOS_Setup.exe" install prod-fn

-Double-click the shortcut.
    Note: No window will open, but EasyAntiCheat will install itself.

• Witchu

I promise you all of us have tried that and every possible "solution" that will be suggested. Some fixes have worked for people, but for the majority nothing has worked.

After weeks, they finally answered my support ticket, and after explaining everything in detail and linking this thread and telling them about the reddit posts and steam discussion, they still had the audacity to tell me "Have you tried starting the game as an admin" and "Here's a guide on how to verify files"

I will freaking scream if this issue doesn't get fixed.

• NickyLydell
    NickyLydell Member Posts: 5

Hello, I´ve tried everything suggested on this thread and my game still doesn´t open. I´m afraid for those of us who´ve gone through this already, the only thing we have left is to wait until some day behaviour remembers this issue is happening and fix it, because it´s lireally an issue that comes from the game folder itself. I have to say it´s extremely upsetting so many people are reporting this yet Behaviour hasn´t said absolutely anything about the matter.

• HexSnakeOil
    HexSnakeOil Member Posts: 1

same problem, tried everything and nothing works. all it says is "eac client cannot be instantiated" and then only allows me to quit game. fustrating

• ZeroXez
    ZeroXez Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2

OK sounds good. I was just trying to help out. It is annoying cause I was having some major issues and still is

• dmitrilessy

"For you, it's playable. For many of us who heard about this "fix" over a week ago and for whom it did not work, the game is still unplayable. And we have tried fiddling with EAC (along with trying all of the other suggestions in this thread and across Reddit, the Discussion group on Steam, this forum, etc.) which have not worked."

There shouldn't be any if we remain within linguistic conventions and understand that the word "I" means that it is subjective FOR ME.

I did this and it works FOR ME!

Might also want to you follow the conversation because it is clear that I am referring to my shared unique condition with the other guy and his fairly new "fix" as follows:

• We have no other games using EAC.
    • Dead by Daylight EAC not working.
    • We installed another game using EAC. He installed Gears of War 2, I installed Fortnight, both games have EAC in it.
    • Dead by Daylight works just fine now.

That shouldn't be taken as: This works generally outside of the context above. And even if you have identical condition and it didn't work, a simple "It didn't work for me" should suffice.

• dmitrilessy

You spent hours? I spent weeks and reinstalled 9 times before I came across that "fix"…

And by fix I mean to install another game with EAC because I have no other game with EAC and that worked for me, and by "I" I mean me and by "me" I mean myself and I subjectively within a unique point in space-time continuum.

So forgive my excitement to share it immediately as I could here.

• dmitrilessy

Hi. I just wanna give you credit that your fix worked for me. Thanks. I didn't installe Guild Wars, I installed Fortnight. We share similar condition that we don't have any other game with EAC already installed. Just wanna mention that I'm installing Dead by Daylight using Xbox for PC app (Windows Store) and installed Fortnight using Epic app.

I uninstalled Fortnight and Dead by Daylight still works, just thought you might wanna try that. However, backup the Guild Wars 2 first so if anything happened you can reinstall without downloading again.

Thank you guy, and see you in Dead by Daylight! I know it's not Castlevania's fault but I have grown to really really hate looking at that background image of Castlevania as EAC fails to launch.

• jomarocasout
    jomarocasout Member Posts: 7

i have this issue when enter in a match

• dmitrilessy

that means that file is not authentic, most likely being tampered with. if you did something to it, then don't do that. if you didn't do anything then validate the game on your platform (Steam, Xbox for PC, etc) it will erase whatever isn't a part of it and download what's necessary.

• cheemsburgers
    cheemsburgers Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 7

2 weeks and still no fix for a game-breaking update. Might be a good idea to use some of that DLC money to hire some QA testers.

• jomarocasout
    jomarocasout Member Posts: 7

i dont make nothing, if you pretend that i make cheats or something like that, i never use cheats, but this appear from the updated of castlevania, before of this i can play normally, and is 2 weeks that i cannot play in linux, and dont play in windows, no anymore, i wait until fix and bump this image

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

Ok I didnt see this post when I briefly made mine i have this same problem is there nothing we can do to fix this on the client side?

• Witchu

Nothing we can do unfortunately. If none of the fixes worked for you, then you gotta sit with the majority of us and wait :(

• Skillfulstone
    Skillfulstone Member Posts: 677
    edited September 11

Given that a dev specifically said that there's no update or ETA, any (volontary, it's possible some random update fixes it by coincidence) fixes will likely have to wait at least until late-september/early October since it's very likely not gonna be in the upcoming PTB.

• crystalkitti

I really hope this isn't the case. I really do… I've been locked out of my favorite game for two weeks now; I'm still not sure why they can't just roll back the EAC update temporarily in order to fix it (while allowing people to play the game/DLC they've paid for) but… I really do hope it gets fixed in the next week or two.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,707

for me, the issue got fixed with the patch today (even though nothing was mentioned in the patch notes?)

So, maybe just me but may be worth it for anyone affected to check for themselves

• JocelynAwakens

I can check in with the team that was looking into it!

• Witchu

The new patch didn't fix it for me. I almost got excited :(

I'm dying over here girly.

• JocelynAwakens

We empathize, but also cannot even imagine the frustration you are experiencing. As soon as we have more info, we will make sure to update.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,896
  • Ankhman

Is there a reason why this problem does not show up on the Known Issues page?

• meleemaster
    meleemaster Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1

This patch was able to fix the problem for me on steam. I know that the number one priority right now is to get the fix to everyone, but has the team considered a way to compensate players who were unable to access the game for the last two weeks? Especially since most of us missed out on the launch of the new chapter and the majority of the blood hunt event.

• crystalkitti

Oh entity, I actually forgot about the bloodhunt. I could've used all those BPs… 😥Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll extend it?

I'm unable to try my game right now, but I'll report back soon with an update on whether or not today's patch fixed it for me. (Has anyone been able to pin down what exactly might've changed?)

• Witchu

I swear if it's fixed for everyone except me >:(

• crystalkitti

My game is indeed working right now, or at the very least, it isn't giving me the error anymore. I can get in and play normally, it seems, though I haven't tried queueing up yet.

I'm not sure what changed, though..?

• Witchu

Please, someone else tell me it isn't working for them omg 😭

• crystalkitti

I'm so sorry ;-; you're sure yours updated properly, and after today's patch?

• Witchu

Yup. I verified again as well, nothing has changed for me

• GuyFawx
    edited September 12

Ya my game seemed to work after the last patch for a bit but as soon as I logged off and restarted my computer it seemed to show up again so Im right back to the same issue of eac not being able to run. Also again im on PC steam and deleting the EAC folder and having DBD redownload it doesnt fix the issue either cause I thought maybe something got tampered with or corrupted but nope

Post edited by GuyFawx on
  • Witchu
    edited September 12

This reason is why I'm terrified to do a factory reset. It's the only thing I haven't tried because I've seen others who have done it that said it fixed the issue, but then it came back asap, or the issue persisted. Like wth is going on

• Ankhman

Patch did nothing. Uninstalled, cleared directories, reinstalled, no joy. Factory reset? You've got to be joking. Guess it's time to uninstall and come back in a few months hoping it's fixed. So annoyed that the Aurics purchased in preparation for the new killer are just sitting there and not refundable. Money spent, but surely not well spent. Later for now, DbD.

• 2fat4hook
    2fat4hook Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1

hi all,

the best and most straight forward answer to this problem is to factory reset your pc. annoying i know, but i did it a day after the castlevania update and it was fixed and havent had a problem since

• etullinator
    etullinator Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2

I have tried pretty much everything in this thread and it's not working for me. I'm not a computer expert so it is really hard for me and I don't want to mess up my computer. I just want to play the game. I downloaded another game that uses the easy anti cheat and it operates with no issues; however copying that easy cheat file into my DBD folder still didn't work. Please fix!

• etullinator
    etullinator Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2

I am a steam user.

• NickyLydell
    NickyLydell Member Posts: 5

Hi, I try updating the game with the "repair" tool on xbox app but it didn´t do anything for me. There´s a new tool to install the dlcs for some reason. I re-installed them and everything remains the same. My game keeps saying EAC it´s not installed. I tried by re-downloading fall guys which works with EAC and it made no difference. I´m so done with Behaviour I can´t believe they´re taking so long for such a big issue

• GuyFawx

I honestly dont think they can fix it themselves It's something that the EAC company has to fix if bhvr could let us know that'd would be great but they could also be contractional obligated to stay silent on certain matters with eac so as to not sully its rep. I could be wrong however but thats just how ive heard it is

• abcdef
    abcdef Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 30

The game occasionally doesn't start after EAC screen, have to start it up twice to make it work.

• Seraphin
    Seraphin Member Posts: 2
    edited September 15

I tried again today after a few updates to reinstall DBD. The bug is still here "Easy Anti Cheat is not installed". When i try to launch EAC from DBD's folder, EAC appears 0.3s and then closes immediately.

I don't know what to do anymore. 20 days later still no information…

EDIT: It's working fine with the previous version of EAC, but the new one "EasyAntiCheat_EOS" refuses to open. I uninstalled every other EAC games but the problem persists.

Post edited by Seraphin on