The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The Distortion Nerf is a slap in the face for all solo players BHVR

joel84
joel84 Member Posts: 229
edited September 13 in Feedback and Suggestions

well,

one of the developers once said years ago: Playing with aura reading can be very interesting. Honestly? There is now far too much aura reading in the game. Regardless of whether it's perks or add-ons.

Playing with Aura Reading is uninteresting, but feels like cheating and requires no skill !

It's just far too much….. Distortion works against many perks and add-ons, that's true, but only if you play it right !

Meanwhile, there is so much aura reading that the tokens are used up very quickly and you have to go into the terror radius to recharge them, which takes time. Time that you can't spend on a generator, time that benefits the killers.

But none of the developers seem to be interested anymore. I'm a solo player and I don't want to be constantly hunted. Whether the developers like it or not, but that should also be taken into account. If the change goes live like this, there will be a shitstorm. I'm seriously considering giving up the solo Survivor game and just playing SWF.

Hiding no longer helps. Hide and Seek is over...what has become of DBD.... become? Now you can run the other tools like Sole Survivor by Laurie or Urban Evasion by Nea into the ground, because they are becoming increasingly useless. Time to get a grip on DS, DH and co.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 777
    edited September 12

Yeah exactly and then those are the next gutted perks, I rather have a strong and reliable counter and strong aura read. Edit: There are so many ways to reliable nerf it, but they chose the worst one. The best one would have been reducing it‘s duration to 7-8s

• hrazor
    hrazor Member Posts: 5

Exactly! I think a good solution would be to remove player auras and utilize variations of killer instinct for both sides. I would love to drop distortion, but not when lethal pursuer, BBQ, and nowhere to hide exists. I wouldn't mind auras during events, like peekaboo in the masquerade. Oh well, shadow step it is for now.

• Szakally
    Szakally Member Posts: 62

Nerf Distortion is a good thing in long term. In long term, killrates will grow up so survs recive a buff.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,717

oh wow "badham is fair" summarizes this reply, the only thing that makes sense is temple. yes it's more towards to the weaker side of maps but still not as bad as badham or haddonfield.

idk if or how midwich is weaker, did classroom loops become weaker? because as far as i know they just added clutter (and a few pallets) to the hallways and removed the breakable walls in the bathrooms. it is killer sided but i didn't include it because you were talking about devs' new map design philosophy. this makes the number of killer sided maps 3.

3 gen is an issue, but i don't think maps should be balanced around faulty gen spawns, they should instead fix the spawns. "this map is okay to have insane strong loops because it spawns 3 gens" isn't the right way to think. also you forgot disturbed ward and dds, the worst offenders when it comes to 3 gens.

gideon and rpd can be either sided if killer knows how to abuse them. gideon needs a killer that can deal with pallets or that can hold a 3 gen, and on rpd you need a terrible hook spawn and abuse it by camping (or again, hold a 3 gen). but neither hook or gen spawns should be taken into consideration when balancing the map, they should be fixed no matter what and then map should be balanced.

i really don't know how to (or want to) reply to your other points. badham is fair and garden is nothing without main are… opinions.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,878

3 words… Object of Obsession.

• NerfDHalready

it does work, being the obsession only gives the automatic aura reveal every 30 seconds. you can argue perk is better when you are not the obsession.

The clutter nerfed survivors on that map by a lot.

against many top tier killers i disagree. projectile killers, dash killers, nurse etc. long narrow ways without los breakers is never better for survivors.

but many factors play into this like small size for example and not just place them somewhere else

small sized maps mean more gens in a smaller area but those gens shouldn't be in dead zones or in really close proximity to each other like again, 2 gens in main and outside of it like disturbed ward. hell nostromo can have 3 T-H-R-E-E gens in main, which is ridiculous.

i kind of agree with the last paragraph, survivors can't do anything but gens if they want to win and killers can't waste a second or run chill perks so the gameplay is very linear and you just lose if you go for fancy fun stuff.

very weak maps feel awful as survivor but strong bs maps like badham means a chase against a pre dropping lobby costs you 3 gens and the game concludes with 4 hooks at most, that also doesn't feel good as killer. those 3 killer sided maps should be dealt with but so do other extremes, the heavily survivor sided ones.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,051

I literally never use Distortion. Who uses that perk? People who can't loop? Or people who hide while their teammates die for them?

• danielmaster87

But you can't explain it; you just say it. Explain how Object is bad against Weave Attunement.

• danielmaster87

Except you're doing head-cannon math, combined with unironically relying on that garbage kill rate stat which doesn't actually tell you anything.

• doobiedo
    doobiedo Member Posts: 144

Because you have a very good chance of getting a stealth killer and then its a dead perk slot. I dont like taking perks I have to gamble if they will even have a use or not.

• danielmaster87

Kill rates against noobs maybe. I'll run maybe 1 aura perk, half the time, because I know that putting on anymore is a wasted perk slot. Other perks are so much better. You can't just assume that because the killer sees the survivor, they just get them. That's not how it works, even if casuals believe that it does. Good survivors don't give a rat's if you see them or not, because they can just loop you for an arbitrary amount of time. Therefore, the aura perk did next to nothing, if not baited you into chasing someone you couldn't catch. It feels like a majority of the playerbase don't understand that those kinds of survivors exist, and just assume it's always a really good killer crushing noobs. No. Some killers aren't playing to their full potential either, which explains why buffing killer stuff for top level doesn't mean it's suddenly oppressive overall.

• danielmaster87

At this point it's not even like they link finding survivors to skill. It's more like, "Wow, you have to find survivors to win? That's scummy." I have a friend who legit says this, because he never plays killer, and just expects the killer to go easy on us while he's screwing around and not improving on survivor. But I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow questioned a killer's skill on their inability to find survivors. They question killer's skill over any little thing.

• doobiedo
    doobiedo Member Posts: 144

It can be good sometimes but its not worth taking a perk that has a very good chance to be a dead perk slot.

• Brimp

I mean a dead perk slot on survivor is a lot more lenient than a dead perk slot on killer.

• BrightWolf
    BrightWolf Member Posts: 429

Honestly, this nerf isn't as bad as I was dreading. Considering BHVR's track record with gutting perks for little to no reason other than "they're used a lot." and "people have been complaining."

As for me, distortion ends up being a dead perk in 70% of my games. But it's not great either. I definitely would have preferred it to have the tokens be tied into gen progression that the player has personally worked on/completed instead of chasing with the killer. That way, it would at least incentivise working on gens instead of the people who use distortion to hide for the majority of the game.

That said, it will at least negate the lack of recharge against killers who can hide their TR (Ghostie, Myers, Wraith.) If you enter a chase with them if the chase detection doesn't bug out. Lmao.

Hopefully, people will use the PTB to test out these changes and will give feedback to the testing, so the changes are revised slightly before they go live.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,811

Can confirm it only works if you’re the Obsession. If you aren’t, and it doesn’t guarantee that you are, it does not work for you (killer can still see your aura but you cannot see theirs).

• Brimp

Perkless killer as most of the roster will NOT win you matches against above average survivors. Meanwhile perkless survivor can fair mighty well.

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 777
    edited September 13

It does tell a lot and saying otherwise is delusional. Killers always say this game does favor survivors so hard when it is clearly otherwise and with dcs this kill rate would be lot higher.

I would wish killers would have the same win rate for once that survivors have, because then they would probably not invent new ways of twisting math like I‘ve seen it on the forums.

• Ethromel
    Ethromel Member Posts: 175

These developers don't reward solo play. Their whole score system is backwards. You would think a survivor would be rewarded greatly for AVOIDING the killer's attention like in the movies, but no, the stealthy survivor gets punished for not getting spotted and pursued. I will be doing all the gens by myself while my team gets found and downed, and when the exit gates get activated from me saving perhaps the last survivor running for their life, I get the least amount of points out of the whole team of dead victims. Technically I'm the hero and the score does not reflect so.

I heal my team, stay out of sight, do gens, and drop hooks and because I didn't get chased I'm screwed out of the top score. It's such a dumb system. Now they mess distortion up in an inadvertent way of proving how they want us to play… up front and center.

I've been saying for years that aura reading was going to ruin the game. Watch! BHVR is going to corner themselves with all these horribly designed ideas.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,707

I think doing a little of both would be nice for distortion.

• Survivor Starts with 2 tokens of Distortion
    • Survivors gain a token when starting a chase

This would allow you to have a couple stacks but also make it hard for the people who only hide. I think this would be fair.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,578

How many are stealth killers? Over how big a roster?

Your "a very good chance" is 13%

So what you want is an OP counter that works 100% of the time.

How very reasonable of you.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,427

If you actually take chase, this change won't affect you much. But I'll admit that BHVR have added an absolute ton of aura reading to the game, and there are plenty of top tier aura reading perks. Still a good change imo.

Off the Record gives aura reading immunity too, you know? But that aura reading immunity requires actually interacting with the killer to activate. Now Distortion will too, which is good.

• NerfDHalready

can confirm more that it works, i just tried. i wasn't the obsession and perk showed me the nurse any time she hooked someone else, she had bbq. i only didn't get the once every 30 second aura reveal effect.

it at least gives info on what aura reveal perk the killer is running, even if the killer is undetectable at the time. perk's icon will light up if your aura is shown.