Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Actual video proof of the short M1 attack bug, that can steal hits from the killer

SUMMARY OF THE ISSUE: Actual video proof of the short M1 attack bug, that can steal hits from the killer

PLATFORM: PC

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW THE ISSUE OCCURED:

1. The beginning of the video shows me moving my mouse, to show that whenever I move my mouse, the OBS overlay shows that I moved my mouse.
  2. The OBS overlay (LMB button) shows that every attack I did in the video, involved me holding down my left mouse button.
  3. Notice the first few attacks yanked my camera, every though I didn't move my mouse, and the game didn't confirm a hit.
  4. Notice the first few attacks forced my lunges to turn into short M1 attacks, and the game didn't confirm a hit.
  5. Therefore, it has been proven, this game has some sort of proximity check, that can 1) yank the player's camera, and 2) force a lunge to turn into a short M1 attack… that is completely separate from the actual hit validation check.
  6. The fact that the proximity check is completely separate from the actual hit validation check, means the game can steal hits from the killer. Imagine actual chase scenarios, where the killer tries to lunge around an object (lunges don't have object collision), but the game forces the lunge to turn into a short M1 attack (which does have object collision). This would steal a hit from the killer, because if the killer was allowed to lunge around the object, they would have gotten a hit.
  7. Actual question for BHVR #1. Can latency also cause this bug to happen, if the proximity check thinks the killer is "too close" for a lunge, but the actual hit validation check thinks the killer is "too far" for a short M1 attack? Because during laggy PTBs, I think I've seen this happen way more often.
  8. Actual question for BHVR #2. Why does the game make a proximity check, that is completely separate from the actual hit validation check? The game shouldn't be yanking cameras, and the game shouldn't be forcing lunges to turn into short M1 attacks, unless the game has already confirmed the hit is happening.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo_gkU_HnQI

6 votes

Not a Bug · Last Updated

Comments

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,610

What you show in the video happens quite often.

I've always assumed it was the auto-miss "aim dressing" at work.

• Wezqu
    Wezqu Member Posts: 33

There is aim assist in this game. They put that thing in the game long time ago to help console players to get hits but in reality it makes you miss or hit the wrong survivor way too often. I even remember when it was added and how much after that got misses where the aim assist made me hit the window itself and not the survivor vaulting through it. This is clearly the aim assist they have implemented back then.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,674

In your "wrong survivor" scenario, the game is forbidding you from making a lunge attack, and you are forced into a short M1 attack instead. But the game doesn't ever mention that it can force short M1 attacks, so it ends up just being confusing to a lot of people.

BHVR's current official statement, is that we're supposed to call it "aim dressing", and aim dressing isn't supposed to help killers get hits, and it's only supposed to make the hits "look nicer". But it's clearly broken, because it's sometimes stealing hits from the killer.

• Coffeecrashing

Not a bug? It's intended for a game mechanic to steal hits from the killer? Or is it intended for the proximity checks to be separate from the actual hit validation checks, and this is just an unfortunate side effect of having separate checks?

Because if a lunge attack would hit a survivor, and the attack misses specifically because the game forced it to turn into a short M1 attack, then the game has stolen a hit from the killer.

• brewingtea
    brewingtea Member Posts: 240

I wish I could just "Not a bug" my clients and ignore what they want. Is BHVR hiring? I'm tired of programming "working code" and "satisfying my customers".

• Coffeecrashing

Are we going to get clarification on this? Is this an intended game mechanic?