The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The Unknown Changes Just Created More Problems

We appreciate the Unknown's UI improvements. However…

Delaying spawning a hallucination is still possible without slowing down by spamming the power button faster, which is just more strenuous. A better solution would be to allow us to manually deploy a hallucination whenever it's off cooldown.

The teleport movement speed recovery with the blurry photo add-on is now worse than before, which feels super clunky. This is obviously even worse without the add-on. The basekit recovery needs to be reduced even more so it feels smooth basekit.

Airborne hits are still going to feel annoying and unrewarding, even if they don't sound like hits anymore. Please make it so airbourne hits cause the UVX explosion on contact with the survivor. That would feel rewarding and allow survivors to intercept hits, which would be cool counterplay.

Increasing the time for survivors to remove the weakened state slightly would be appreciated too. Right now it feels just a bit too short.

Comments

• Thund3rstruck57
    Thund3rstruck57 Member Posts: 265

Btw to address the concerns that spamming the power button will make survivors dodge unnecessarily and lose distance, you can make the slowdown immediate when the power button is pressed so the killer loses distance when they spam their power to bait survivors like that. Or if that feels too clunky, adjust the animation from the survivors point of view so the launcher doesn't start emerging until the slowdown happens. It would emerge between the time when the slowdown starts and when the UVX is ready to shoot instead of emerging between when the power button is pressed and when the UVX is ready to shoot (from the survivors' point of view; the animation wouldn't change from the killer's point of view). Just let us spawn the hallucination manually when it's off cooldown to compensate so spamming the power to more precisely place the hallucination is unnecessary.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,656

Letting the killer manually place hallucinations would be a major buff, that would be too much. Yes, some people are delaying hallucinations, but it's usually only for a few seconds so they can move it behind an object, and it's always when they aren't in a chase.

I don't really see anyone holding onto a hallucinations for long periods of time while in a chase, because they would be shooting a UVX at a survivor in chase, and you can't tap the UVX button while the power is on cooldown.

• Thund3rstruck57

Since they can already delay it for as far as they want outside of chase, it's more of a quality of life improvement than a major buff. Also, they can already delay the hallucination in chase by damaging a survivor with the UVX, which delays the hallucination cooldown for the entire duration of the UVX cooldown, or by damaging them with a basic attack.

It sounds like your concern is that the Unknown would place the hallucination in a loop mid-chase and quickly teleport to it for a free hit (already possible). Maybe a fair compromise then is that the Unknown wouldn't be able to place a hallucination while in chase (it currently can) or for there to be a longer delay between placing a hallucination and being able to teleport (the current delay is only a few seconds).

Also, it's worth mentioning that passive hallucinations give Unknowns free map pressure without having to think about it. Manual hallucinations would require them to remember to place them and more consciously select strategic positions.

• Coffeecrashing

Damaging a survivor with the UVX doesn't delay the hallucination cooldown for the entire duration of the UVX. And damaging with a basic attack doesn't work either, because the hallucination would spawn during the successful attack recovery time, when Unknown can't tap the M2 button. Neither of those options actually works.

• Thund3rstruck57

Hmm maybe I'm mistaken. Perhaps during the instances I'm remembering, I was also near a hook or other hallucination if those delay the hallucination cooldown. I know something can delay the hallucination spawning other than tapping the UVX. I am curious though what your main issue is with someone keeping the hallucination vs. passively setting it? What is your primary balance concern?

• Coffeecrashing

If hallucinations could be manually created, they would need to be massively nerfed. Players aren't doing large hallucination delays during a chase. It doesn't work. It's not a thing.

But if Unknown could manually create hallucinations, they could be dropped manually in chase. That would be a terrible horrible thing, because they would need to be massively nerfed in chase as compensation. That's bad. That's lowering the skill ceiling of a killer, and nerfing their chase potential, just so it's easier to place hallucinations.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,106

If you ask me, i think they should buff his illusions from 4 count to 6-7 illusions. player are already using manual illusion placing so your saying that they are too strong and should be massively nerfed in current iteration.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,902
    edited September 21

I always felt automatically spawning the clone was a little strange, I suppose the point is they want it primarily for map traversal and they don't want it as a controllable anti loop tool? I don't think manually deploying clones is in their design for the killer.

Regarding the tapping power problem, faster wind up for the ability and larger slow might address that problem. Unknown gets to shoot sooner, but tapping is more costly.

Regarding the teleport slowdown, it's my understanding:

• Old basekit: 1.4s
    • Old blurry photo: 0.933s
    • New basekit: 1.217s
    • New blurry photo: ? (Don't know the number)

1.077s? (I'm guessing the new addon gives an additional 15%).

The 50% of old Blurry Photo does seem a tad high... 1.4s to 0.933s is quite a massive acceleration jump. I suppose the nerf is in to the same frame of "teleport for map traversal, not really anti loop" design... so the changes do all make sense...

That said Unknown doesn't feel oppressive/unfair though to me, an overall nerf doesn't quite feel warranted...

• Coffeecrashing

BHVR said they are aware people are UVX tapping, and their concern is the fact that it might confuse survivors into thinking Unknown is trying to hit them with a UVX. That is the issue people should be discussing.

And I literally said people aren't making large hallucination delays in chase. If UVX tapping needs to be nerfed, the best idea would be to just have the clunky extra slowdown happen whenever the UVX button is released, even if the UVX button was tapped. But that would make the character feel worse to play, and that shouldn't happen either.

• Thund3rstruck57

Ok but why would they need to be massively nerfed? It sounds like you main concern is that the hallucinations would be placed in strategic location in chase in a loop and then immediately used to get an easy hit. The problem with that logic is that, as you've mentioned, hallucinations can already spawn in chase. Unknowns don't need to do long delays to get their hallucination to a strategic position in a loop; usually just a tap or 2 will do it. Once the hallucination is deployed in a loop, it becomes available to teleport to after about 3 seconds (that I know for sure because I use that strategy regularly). The issue you're worried about is already part of Unknown's kit…so why would a massive nerf even be necessary for slightly streamlining something that's already pretty easy to do?

• Thund3rstruck57

Exactly. This is already possible and pretty easy to do. Manual hallucination placement would basically just be a quality of life improvement and not a significant buff. Also more hallucinations would be nice but that would definitely be a buff since survivors need to spend time removing them or the Unknown's map pressure would be even greater.

• Thund3rstruck57

You can already deploy hallucinations in chase and use them 3 seconds later for anti-loop. Letting Unknowns manually deploy hallucinations would completely eliminate the need to tap at all, which would accomplish their goal of not confusing survivors in chase, with the added benefit of not having to spam a button outside of chase.

Allowing Unknown to shoot quicker would remove survivor counterplay by giving them less time to react and dodge UVX so I don't think that's a good idea. Plus a larger slowdown punishes tapping even more outside of chase, which makes delaying the hallucination even more annoying, making adding manual hallucination deployment to Unknown's kit even more needed (basically what they did in this update but even worse).

The teleport slowdown just feels worse, which is never good. Chase teleports into a hit were so satisfying with interesting counterplay if the survivor being chased predicted you were going to teleport.

• Thund3rstruck57

That's a great argument for why they should add manual hallucination deployment. If Unknowns don't need to tap to delay the hallucination, they won't be confusing survivors. Then the tapping slowdown would make sense because Unknown would lose distance if they're just trying to bait the survivors into juking.

I agree that the tapping slowdown makes Unknown feel worse to play and that's what they just added, which is a problem. Manual hallucination deployment solves that problem.