We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Lightborn - shouldn't be uncounterable

Even Distortion in its current state isn't uncounterable, it has tokens that need to be recharged. Why isn't Lightborn the same? I think it's a bad design.

Some propositions I have for changing Lightborn:

1. make it have tokens that need to be recharged somehow and/or make it start with a few tokens. Each token gets consumed upon each blinding attempt
  2. with Lightborn you still get blinded (and stunned if carrying a survivor), but you recover from the blind/stun 50% faster. That way people can still utilize flashlights etc., but you can act sooner than usual thanks to Lightborn.

Either (1) or (2) would be neat, I'm not proposing both of them be implemented.

Comments

• Alen_Starkly
    Alen_Starkly Member Posts: 1,167

Flashbangs need to be created, it takes time. Lightborn doesn't require the killer to do anything, it's just there, readily and infinitely available.

• poinepp
    poinepp Member Posts: 191
    edited October 1

its really such an outdated perk for the current state of dbd where most of the perks have even a slight counterplay without it being just free. and Its just a waste of perk slot because its also not that good so I would just rather run it if it were to reduce the blindness duration instead of making me completely unblindable

• Alen_Starkly
    Alen_Starkly Member Posts: 1,167
    edited October 1

When I play survivor, I play solo queue 99.99% of the time. I only (very) occasionally join a streamer's lobby.

Post edited by Alen_Starkly on
  • Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 1,021

When they nerf distortion too hard next patch lightborn should follow. Some people constantly say it made you immune to aura reading while it didn’t, but on the other hand lightborn makes you completly immune to blinds.

• exzachely
    exzachely Member Posts: 45

I recently watched a DBD streamer (either FarmerJohn or OnePumpWillie) and they suggested that Lightborn should be nerfed to only counter the first blind, but not additional blinds. I think the perk should just have a cooldown.

• Royval
    Royval Member Posts: 634

it’s a useless perk vs smart survivors

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 1,132

Y'all use the word Bully so loosely, people are just playing the game LMAO

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,447

Technically it partially counters Blast Mine. You are not blinded and get the aura of the setter.

• TieBreaker
    TieBreaker Member Posts: 941

I think it's because many threads complained about Distortion hard countering multiple aura perks/add-ons by itself. So seeing as Lightborn hard counters multiple perks/items/add-ons, there are now calls for Lightborn to get nerfed too.

• TieBreaker
    TieBreaker Member Posts: 941

Whilst I can see why people would make the comparison between the two perks, they completely overlook the asymetrical nature of the game. I don't think it's great that a perk can make multiple perks, including ones that require work to activate useless, but if Lightborn got nerfed, it would make some matches completely unplayable for the killer.

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 1,132

Yes it's playing the game, if they are stunning you they aren't doing gens… there is no "Stun lock", that would mean you have no control whatsoever, you are all just getting tilted, giving them what they want.

the only time I ever saw a killer actually stun locked was when cheaters were rampant and they could make stuns last forever…. again with losing the meaning of words. You are a KILLER you are KILLING them, of course they are going to fight back LOL

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 1,024

I put Lightborn on only if there are 3+ flashlights in a lobby so I can play the game.

It does it's job well. So no, no nerfs to Lightborn.

Or do you want every killer to just 4 slug you instead?

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,520

Cool story. Killer mains got our Distortion ruined. Tit for tat.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me

It should just get whatever they do to Distortion. Lightborn was comparatively similar in terms of power packed into a single perk.

Distortion voided Aura builds (almost)

Lightborn voids light builds. (Completely)

Since Distortion is now a puddle of mud, Lightborn should be a swimming pool of mud.

• gravitykirby
    gravitykirby Member Posts: 2

If they nerf it you're just going to get more Franklins killers which is worse imo

• caipt
    caipt Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 627

if the issue at hand is counterplay, then both situations should go.

• TheRealConsent
    TheRealConsent Member Posts: 239

Because 1 survivor perk isn't equal to 1 killer perk.

Lightborn is still a super weak perk, not because it's useless, but because you could bring another gen regression instead of it.

Please stop complaining about such simple perks.

• caipt
    caipt Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 627

You are confusing two comparable use cases with comparable power. Most killers run at least one aura while most survivors at most bring a flashlight, with the occasional flashbang/background player build (which is uncounterable and thus is fair to completely shut down for a perk slot). Otherwise the survivor can go get a new item and void the killers perk slot. Meanwhile a killer with 2 auras, a slowdown and an endgame will be left near incapable of locating distortion user survivors with half their build (which cannot be changed post lobby).

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me

I use to do that. But I found the forums and community to be much more palatable and fun with such tribalistic role play. :)

The 'their side got nerfed, so compensate' thing has been going on forever, and there are plenty from both sides who do it. I'm just now starting to get into the swing of this mindset, as ridiculous as it is. But its fun!

Anyway, Nerf® Deerstalker!

• Orvarihusklumpen
    Orvarihusklumpen Member Posts: 32

Of course survivor mains want Lightborn nerfed. The killer can't be trolled with a flashlight with Lightborn

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,538
    edited October 6

The only nerf this perk should get: at the beginning of the match, survivors line up in front of killer and make a low bowing for spending perk slot on nothing instead of slowing down the game. Then everyone returns to their positions.

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 749

I am on the side that Lightborn is a absolute fine perk, and that it doesn't exactly need a nerf. And if by chance that you have a opportunity to throw a nerf into it. It should only covered a couple of issues I do have in mind.

It is strange that is one of the few permanent effect perks, that is old school dbd used to have ton of, yet it such a Simple perk in it design. Maybe it could deserve a cooldown, after it a flashlight is used successfully stun a killer. It would protect them for say 30 seconds. My only concern is if survivors have found a exploit to maybe overwrite the stun immunity by bringing more then one flashlight or flash bang. So it should also give it a few seconds of stun immunity when any flashlight stun trigger it first before it goes on cooldown, to prevent any "bully squads" from abusing their flashlight power. It is a strong killer perk, but only if any Survivor bring flashlight; but not work well if the Survivors can keep track of the timing of the cooldown.

Another issue, has to do with the complaints agaisnt it is mostly on survivors complaining about it, as their favorite Distortion perks is gutted. I find this argument bit biased, considering that they want to nerf perk to counter one small builds, while Distortion can literally nullified almost half the perk rooster of Aura reading. I think survivors are being bit selfish in hiding themselves in the shadows and make it way to convenient for the killer to tunnel and kill survivors that do not used Distortion at all. In short, old Distortion gives Survivors a distinctive advantage, at the cost of hurting your team's survivability over your choice to make yourself presentable. would argue it is overpowered and needs the nerf it deserves, and it sounds better in chase When it comes to recovering tokens, meaning you have to engage in being caught in the open to be able to hide effectively outside of it. High Risk, high reward perk. Old Distortion is low risk, high reward.

Lightborn is only high reward, if there is a risk of flashlight; otherwise it high risk if Noone bringing flashlight and you have wasted a perk slot.