So... A distortion change

I noticed distortion was nerfed into the ground but nothing seems to be done about the INCREASING number of aura reading perks that killers have.

Do they just want survivors to hate the game?

Comments

• Ifocusonyou
    Ifocusonyou Member Posts: 3

Yes i do, i delete the game and never come back. 🖕

• PreorderBonus
    PreorderBonus Member Posts: 257

If the game were as simple as just "constantly see survivors and know where to be" then the meta would consist of the top four aura perks. But go play any killer that isn't Nurse with such a build and you'll see why it isn't

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,315

Distortion is getting buffed and Weave is getting nerfed, so your point isn't really all that valid. 15 seconds to charge a token means it'll still have plentiful Tokens even for Survivors who are bad at chase, it'll be hard to NOT get at least 1 Distortion token in a chase.

• buggybug
    buggybug Member Posts: 83
    edited October 10

Pig and Bubba does, hers is Amanda's letter she only gets 2 rbts but when she crouching it shows all survivors aura, Bubba has one when he revs his saw at certain meters it show aura, onryu I thought had one I just don't remember the name,knight I think had one too also not sure of name Slinger did had one I think but then it was changed.

• hacendado
    hacendado Member Posts: 4
    edited October 10

A killer can run 4 of those perks at the same time. So you think it's balanced?

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,427

I think you have a different problem if a killer brought in 25 aura perks into the match.

• buggybug
    edited October 10

Post the adds in too you forgot them but yeah a aura read to punish survivors for doing their job.

• Darcalus
    Darcalus Member Posts: 40

Until such time as those changes are rolled out, my point is valid. No offense, but i'll reserve judgement until after the changes are finalized and released. As they are now, Franklin's Weave is absolutely broken.

Personally, i don't roll distortion because i like the back and forth the comes from a good chase. I see what they're going for by having survivors engage in a chase to get tokens back, but with so many ways to reveal auras it's just too easy to overwhelm even the proposed version of Distortion to uselessness.

• ReverseVelocity

Well, those Distortion changes will likely be out in a couple of weeks, so not long to wait. I can imagine it'll help Survivors who aren't very good at chase a ton.

Franklin's/Weave wasn't exactly well countered by Distortion either way pre-nerf, considering it eats up tokens extremely fast. The better counter in this case is Object of Obsession, since it's unlimited and gives you aura reading on the killer in return.

• Darcalus
    Darcalus Member Posts: 40

i agree the distortion changes should help, but still am not happy with the current state of the re-work. Personally I think Survivors should get a small audio notification when their aura has been revealed, except in the case with Stealth killers (chucky, ghostface, wraith etc…). Killers would still get their aura reveals and survivors would be aware they're in danger, and stealth killers wouldn't be nerfed into oblivion. I also think the Oblivious status should block the proposed audio notification, as it just makes sense.

i also agree with your take on Franklin's Weave and distortion. I don't agree with using Object of Obsession as a counter, since it still reveals your aura to the killer, which most people who need distortion for protection would simply be killed by any killer worth their salt.

• hacendado

Object of obsession is not a counter. It gives you problems when you are the obsession. Your aura is automatically revealed to the Killer for 3 seconds every 30 seconds. It increases your chances of being the obsession and if you are not, you can become it just by pure luck with Friends Till the End. It is too unpredictable and it is not worth revealing your aura just for the killer to find you.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,901

3 of the top 6 killer perks are aura reading perks according to nightlight.

• Sebaaasy
    Sebaaasy Member Posts: 2

Onryo has an Iridescent aura reading addon that shows survivors 12 meters from an active television when projecting and it benefits from Lethal Pursuer.

Bubba has the Light Chassis add-on that lets him see survivor auras in an 8 meters radius sphere (this means he can rev his chainsaw and see survivors on the second floor if he's on the first floor and viceversa).

Pig has Amanda's Letter, when crouched she can see survivors in a 16 meters radius sphere at the cost of half her power.
    She also has Amanda's Secret, which reveals auras of survivors removing reverse bear traps for 6 seconds (8 seconds with lethal)

Knight has Healing Poultice, which reveals survivors auras around the Assassin's 8 meters radius sphere when summoned.
    They are revealed for 8 seconds (10 w lethal). He also has Jailer's Chimes now, which reveals for 8 seconds the auras of survivors that cross his patrol path. Finally, he has Flint and Steel, an addon that lets him see survivors that are 24 meters away (in a sphere as always) from a dropped pallet whenever he summons the carnifex.

Deathslinger has no addons to see auras, which doesn't matter because even if he did he couldn't do ######### about it because he's slow as ######### and survivors pre-run against him so chases last 2 to 5 business days.

So congrats, you were right about only one of your statements. I'm not gonna read the rest of your post because it reeks of "Killers have 100 addons and perks to see auras while us poor survivors HAVE to use distortion to stand a chance!".
    Can't you see that one addon that counters that many things is grossly overpowered? People who defend distortion are not liked by killers nor by their fellow teammates lol. get good at looping and stop crying.

• Ayodam
    edited October 10

you forgot Zanshin Tactics (Oni) and Human Greed (Dracula).

Post edited by Ayodam on
  • ReverseVelocity

It is a counter though, like a very good counter. I'm very sorry if you don't have the skills to handle having your aura maybe periodically revealed, but it's undeniable how good Object is against Weave, it lets you exploit the perk against the killer, since you can control where you drop items.

Dropping a medkit at shack against a killer with Weave and you have Object is insanely good for you.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,245

3 seconds every 30 seconds is actually very manageable.

Most of the time the killer doesn’t see you because they're not looking for you, because it's not their perk that's causing it. The rest of the time your aura can be hidden behind a gen. And if you're really worried, just step into a locker for 3 seconds, the perk warns you when it's going o happen.

OoO is a top tier perk.

• buggybug

Also it's a easy win for stealth killers and so help me God if they have rancor, which then that reminds me if your using ooo wouldn't throw killer Also see your aura with rancor?

I know without it ofc you see theirs they don't see you but if they can when you have ooo that is very disgustingly bad.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,987

If you have problems with a Trapper running 4 aura perks, then I dont know what to tell you.

• IAmGilgamesh
    IAmGilgamesh Member Posts: 7

It's funny when survivors are complaining about 4 aura perks meanwhile they use windows of opportunity or aura perks to see the killer.

• hacendado
    edited October 10

Sure! All killer sided players chooses the Trapper! (He's in fact the least chosen killer in the game). Try to change your statement by replacing Trapper with any stealth killer. Oh C'mon!

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,987
  • RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,991

I've played Huntress with full aura build for years and regularly wnd with a 3k or higher. You really don't need gen slowdowns if you constantly know where people are and don't waste time in deadzones

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,245
    edited October 10

Distortion didn't just 'make it too easy for survivors'.

Firstly, yes Distortion was too effective at what it did. For all of the complaints in this topic about the sheer number of aura perks and add ons that killers have access to, they're still all individual perks, and to get to the level that you all find to be 'problematic', killers have to run four aura perks. Meanwhile survivors only needed one perk to counter all of that. One single catch-all meta perk to undo an entire catalogue of killer tools. That's a problem.

But in addition to the imbalance in that, Distortion was a problem for other survivors too. By being so effective at masking the aura of it's user, it meant that other survivors were disproportionately targetted, leading to unnecessary tunneling. To be the only survivor singled out while the other survivors hid all game was awful. By being too effective of a counter, Distortion only made killer aura perks even more problematic for the survivors that didn't use it.

You don't see that kind of dynamic with most other counter perks. Running Devisive Strike doesn't make it easier to tunnel other survivors. Using Reassurance doesn't reduce the time other survivors have on hook. Triggering Adrenaline doesn't steal a health state from a team mate.

Distortion needed greater cost, so that it didn't disproportionately harm other survivors, and so other aura countering perks could compete.

Object of Obsession is a good perk, it has a fair trade off.

Off The Record is a great perk, it has a relevant situational activation that protects you when you need it most.

And take it from me, as someone who will use aura perks when I play killer, these two can be just as much of a hindrance to the killer as Distortion.

And now that Distortion is finally in a decent spot with it's 15 second charge time. It's going to be just as effective as the old version, providing you get into chases. There's your fair cost.

• buggybug

Watch the next complaint is calm spirit/harden countering every scream perk and destroying doctor lol.

• Sandt1985
    Sandt1985 Member Posts: 320

May I ask a question? I understand that you dislike the number of aura reading options killers have access to. Thats understandable. But you you think its okay for survivors to have access to a single perk that single handedly counters an entire category of killer perks and addons?

Simply put, Distortion nerf was justified

• Khastrx
    Khastrx Member Posts: 140

To be honest, it would have been funny to have just left Distortion as it was; because anyone who is hiding until they are the last one remaining is now pretty much guaranteed to get mori'd the moment the killer finds them 😂

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,450

Stealth killers are literally a joke lmao, ghostface, myers pig and the like are easy to just run around in chase, why should I care if they know where I am, they all have audio ues that alert me of their presence and if they are using 4 aura perks then they lack slowdown and chase perks meaning a good chase, which is easy to do against a stealth killer, will win you the match.

• ErebusSurge
    ErebusSurge Member Posts: 17

yes it’s completely fair because killers don’t have 4 perks.. they have 6 plus powers… killer add ones have aura reveal and gen blocks plus their powers have teleport, long reach attacks, reveals and no terror radius etc..

often running old distortion you’d lose 3 tokens in 40 seconds

• doobiedo
    doobiedo Member Posts: 238

aura reading is much stronger on killer than survivor. and windows should just be basekit.

• Ayodam

I think he is speaking sarcasm. The least-picked killer are the Twins

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 303

so, out of those 25 perks, you will see 4 at the very most per match.

Out of those 25 perks, around only 5 are popular amongst killers.

Out of those 25 perks, you literally named those that directly counter Distortion because they burn it's tokens.

And finally, Distortion is NOT the only counter to aura reading perks, game sense, map awareness and chase skills are also a counter.

• Brightened
    Brightened Member Posts: 311

Okay you're not even thinking about how those aura reading perks stack up though lol.

Let's just type out a typical game.

Everyone loads in.

Survivors immediately (should) run to a generator.

OOP KILLER HAS LETHAL-

Killer is on someone and downs them.

Killer has Pain Res and BBQ. (That's 3 perks)

Killer gets gen block progress and sees the next victim.

Rinse and repeat.

• Brightened
    Brightened Member Posts: 311

While we are at it- Let's not take away from the million other ways that killers can see us (WITHOUT AURA)

Think of the number of screaming perks.

And the argument is that we will get to charge our distortion faster? TO 2 INSTEAD OF 3 NOW MIND YOU.

Guess when I don't need a distortion token? In the middle of a chase. Guess what I can't really get out of with the increasing number of other very interesting killer perks (idk… the number of exposed perks as an example or… the number of perks used to block pallets)

• AGlassOfOJ
    AGlassOfOJ Member Posts: 24

Honestly distortion deserved the nerf, 100%, but now that it's done, some killer perks should get nerfed too. BBQ and Nowhere to Hide are stupidly strong and give huge aura reads for doing things you'd usually be doing anyways.

• AGlassOfOJ
    AGlassOfOJ Member Posts: 24

In an absolute best case scenario, sure. If you're playing against 4 lobotomy patients I could totally see this happening. In reality survivors actually have the ability to run away from the killer, and the killer also unfortunately can't clone himself 3 times so every other survivor will be typically doing something useful like doing gens or unhooking/healing while the survivor runs away. There's actually this neat technique called "looping" which counters the strategy of standing still and letting the killer instantly down them like you seem to think happens every game.

Survivors also get 4 powerups called "perks" that allow them to play around the killer and not all instantly die. I could recommend some beginner survivor guides if you'd like.

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 644

LP lets the killer know where the survivors are but when the one goes down quickly, this either means the killer played better or the survivor played poorly. Also, the survivor still hears the heartbeat and has the option to run to a strong tile. BBQ encourages the killer to leave the hook and chase a different survivor, which means no camping or tunnling. Knowing three perks is also already good for the survivors because it reduces the chance of nasty stuff like NOED, Devour Hope, ect.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,188
    edited October 10

In that case, if you have OoO and they have Rancor, the correct move is to be in a locker when the last gen pops. Even before the updated HUD and without OoO I would hide around the time I knew the last gen would pop. With the updated HUD, you know precisely when the last gen is about to pop. There are other ways to counter the aura read if you really can't be in a locker, like popping the gen and running one direction then turning around and going in the opposite direction, that kind of thing.

I can only remember dying unintentionally to Rancor once, and that was because I tried to heal a teammate so they could make a save, the killer had Bloodwarden, and my solo queue teammates body blocked me instead of the killer. It was on me for not leaving immediately, though, I accept that. In general, there's almost always some way to counter Rancor; back when Mettle of Man was released, the counter was to be injured when the last gen popped. I know I pissed some killers off with that lol.

… Mettle of Man was so much fun, but my god it was broken as hell.

BBQ has a large number of counters. The survivor has to be more than 40 meters away from the hook, for one thing. BBQ encourages the killer to leave the hook and get involved in a chase, which is good for the person on the hook: if the one on the hook is unhooked before the killer has found a new survivor, it's nearly guaranteed the killer will return to the hook.

I almost never see BBQ since the BP bonus was removed, though. Personally, I removed it from every build the moment that happened.