We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Some Licensed Killers may be off the table for 2v8!

ArkInk
ArkInk Member Posts: 684

A new Slasher Radio interview with Mcote has brought some nerve-wracking news.

At around 17:30 in the video, Mcote talks about the potential issues that might arise around including licensed killers into the 2v8 roster, as two killers side by side could upset certain rights holders.

For companies like Capcom and Konami, I imagine this isn't a huge deal as they do crossovers like Smash relatively frequently. But for the dicier companies like New Line and Netflix? I'm worried gamers.

Comments

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 2,244

I like to jumpscare Killers by hiding behind pallets 🤭

It feels better than escaping, no lie.

• Khastrx
    Khastrx Member Posts: 156

It's nothing to worry about, maybe they'll eventually negotiate new terms to allow more freedom but for now just enjoy the mode. There are bigger issues with the game to deal with...

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,353

Just know, if you ever do that to me, ima curse you and your great grandkids in the heat of the moment. So if you start stepping on legos that come out of nowhere, you know that last Myers you scared was me.

• Huge_Bush

Brother, he doesn’t need to be in it. All he needs is your desired rework to come sooner than later. Asking for more from the Devs is too much and setting yourself up for disappointment.

• ArkInk
    edited October 12

From what I can tell, the primary Licence holders to be weary of are those for Michael, Freddy, Demogorgon, Pinhead, and Sadako.

Compass International Pictures have kept Michael limited to his depiction in the first film and it's been described that BHVR and them have "an understanding" that might make future negotiations difficult.

New Line Cinema have been wholly absent since day one of inclusion, not much to discuss there.

We all know why Netflix is worrying, it's best not to get prematurely worked up.

Pinhead's license holders have changed between the initial deal and now, so I frankly have no clue how that could work.

Kadokawa Corporation have been both extremely supportive and extremely specific in how Sadako is handled in DBD. She's the most likely option in the list by far to be worked out, but I figured I'd include her.

Naturally, there are a lot of characters to be added in the meantime, but it would disappointing to not see certain members of the cast interact when all is said and done.

Post edited by ArkInk on
  • CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 2,244
    edited October 12

Myers is the Killer I ❤️ doing it to the most 😆

First time was when he grabbed someone off a gen and started carrying them to the shack for a basement 🪝 not knowing that I was hiding behind shack pallet lol 😆

I've gotten him twice on the pallet in the courtyard on RPD.

It's hilarious 😂

Edit:

You should give me hatch for keeping you on your toes.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,793

I suppose that is true. I really wish he was eventually made available in 2v8 because I think it is the best modifier we've had, but as long as he gets a good rework I'll be happy.

Though, I must admit I am worried. Towards the end of the video, around 56:38, Cote talks a little bit about Freddy, but not a lot of information is given. He just says "some people will hate it because they are changing something, and others will love it". And that talking about gameplay changes like this is "delicate". But Freddy has such a low pick rate and has been neglected for so long that announcing the direction the rework will go shouldn't really have any negative repercussions.

I really wish I could ask someone at BHVR the question: "Do you think Forum user GeneralV will like the upcoming Freddy rework?". Because a simple "yes" or "no" would tell us A LOT.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 876

I'm not too sad about certain Killers not making it into 2 Vs 8, although licensing issues frequently seem very silly and stupid to me.

I'm more sad about the possibility that I won't be able to zip around the map with another Legion member like a pair of extra stabby Sonic The Hedgehogs. Come on BHVR! Two Legions can't possibly be more annoying to Survivors than a Nurse & Blight combo.

• Huge_Bush

For your sake, I really hope the rework is everything you want it to be.

I do hope he is in 2vs8, I just don’t want you to get your hopes up with BHvRs track record. It also doesn’t help his license issues are garbage.

• HPhoenix
    HPhoenix Member Posts: 602

I mean it make sense.

Imagine Jason coming to DbD and they decided to add Freddy and Jason on 2v8. It would be the opposite of Freddy vs Jason, lol.

• ObsidianButterfly
    ObsidianButterfly Member Posts: 86

This may be a hot take, but this is why I have the opinion that all of these licensed killers are a bad idea. I love having them in the game, but it's starting to become very clear they are interfering with the ability to develop and balance the game. For all we know, Freddy and Myers have been in such a bad state for so long because their license holders aren't letting BHVR make the changes they feel they need to/want to.

And let's not even talk about the doomsday scenario where all the holders get too greedy, BHVR can't or won't continue paying them, and we lose a bunch of killers suddenly.

This is why I think BHVR needs to stop with the licenses and focus on their own original content so they don't run into these kinds of problems.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,759

Peanits mentioned about this on the forums as well.

I think this is likely a money issue for the license holders, more than an artistic or brand integrity. They own the license, BHVR's license does not permit them to use the character beyond the 1v4 situation, thus they want more money to expand the rights of the license. I'm, somewhat, hopeful that BHVR negotiated things like 2v8 in as a default when they worked out the license with more recent killers.

• ArkInk

BHVR have confirmed they hold all say over balancing decisions in the past, so on that front at least I think we're good. Michael not being changed is likely due to how popular he is as a killer, whereas Freddy has just kinda been stuck how he is after he got done like Skull Merchant a few years back.

I do agree that BHVR's over reliance on Licensed content is getting reckless, as each new deal comes with its own limitations that they seemingly are having issues to work through.

That said, I honestly think slowing the rate chapters are added and keeping it at maybe a 2:1 Licenced chapters vs Og ratio per year might be the way to go. Keeps original characters and pre-existing ips in the loop without flooding the game with them.

Original content is great, but when they flop, they flop hard.

• AGlassOfOJ
    AGlassOfOJ Member Posts: 36

It's definitely gonna suck, but it is what it is. I can't imagine many licenses would care when DBD has already made them a bunch of money, and the ones that might are few and far between. I really don't think more than 2-3 killers' license holders would refuse this, if any do at all, and that's a number I can live with tbh.

• AGlassOfOJ
    AGlassOfOJ Member Posts: 36

I'm, somewhat, hopeful that BHVR negotiated things like 2v8 in as a default when they worked out the license with more recent killers.

Oh yeah, for sure. The Dark Lord is probably one of the first licensed killers we're gonna get in 2v8, and every licensed killer who came out a year or so ago also has a good chance, since they did that player satisfaction survey that had all those potential future gamemodes on it including 2v8 about a year and a half ago now.

• Bookern
    Bookern Member Posts: 319

For some hope if you Know Mortal kombat, Cod and Fortnite licensed killers like Freddy, Myers, Leatherface, Ghostface and Leatherface fight against each other and other celebrity and licensed people so these will for sure come to 2V8

• GeneralV

Thank you. I know I say that a lot, but the support really means the world to me. I appreciate you and everyone else who saw my Old Freddy campaign and decided to support it <3

And yes, I know there is a solid chance he will never make it to 2v8. At least Quentin is available, so the modifier will never be utterly deprived of ANOES content.

I'm aware, friend! In fact, I played a lot of Freddy in MK9.

Never been a good MK player, but I really tried my best to learn all of his moves and combos (same for Mileena, my favorite MK character).

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,923
    edited October 13

My boy Mikey is in Fortnite so I doubt he's one of them. He mixes with all kinds of licensed characters in there.

I am confused though. Most licensed chapters come with a licensed survivor. So if they have no problem with their killer being side by side with them then what's the problem.

Post edited by Dwight_Fairfield on
  • Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,466

11:30-12:12 made me chuckle a bit when he says, "try new perks or configurations". I think all licenses would be fine with other killers acts on behalf of dbd gameplay loop. as he says, it is more of technical coding challenges. Like having Xenomorph and Plague be in same trial given that Fountains need to spawn and Xenomorph tunnels need to spawn. that is a lot of objects on maps. I'm sure they'll make it work somehow but it is going take a while to code that stuff into 2vs8.

• GeneralV

Sorry friend, but on this one we don't agree. The Empress of Outworld is clearly superior ;)

• Poturbowany
    Poturbowany Member Posts: 7

I'm praying for Bubba in 2v8

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,918

It is my understanding Krueger’s license holders are extremely particular about how much creative freedom gaming studios can take with him. I remember several years ago there was talk of his and Quentin’s appearances in DBD changing to better resemble certain actors but that ended with a hard no from the license holders, even though the actors were fine with it. Sources also tell me the license holding saying no is why they haven’t received new cosmetics either, unlike other licensed killers (Pig, Leatherface).