To DEVs: The complete Killer power DONTS check list

Options
Troman
Troman Member Posts: 264
edited April 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions

DEVs, this is not intended as trolling or complain. I do think these DONTS can help you to design more balanced killer powers.

Please print out this list and put it on the wall, then you will not have to overhaul killers in the future like Freddy and Legion.

Killer abilities should NOT:

• Have wallhacks of any kind - e.g. Freddy, Legion, Doc - it breaks survivor stealth, is very annoying for survivors. Stealth is a core survivor concept, it shouldn't be broken. Wallhacks also promote another DONT: "Tunneling".
  • Include Killer invisibility - e.g. Wraith, Freddy - breaks survivor stealth, is very annoying for survivors. Apart from stealth it also breaks the concept that survivors have superior vision (Myers and Pig are ok, they are not invisible, you just have to put more effort to notice them)
  • Invalidate too many survivor defensive game mechanics - e.g. Nurse, Legion, Hag, Doc - generally new killer powers should not be based on REMOVING existing survivor abilities, they should be based on creating NEW killer abilities instead. With some killers Survivors are robed of their only 3-4 defensive game mechanics (stealth, palletes, windows, loopable obstacles, better vision than the killer), there is not much left and they are not given anything in return. The game feels dull, survivors feel helpless, because they can't influence the gameplay anymore. The "This killer will break the way you are used to play" approach to killer design should not be implemented by making survivor game mechanics useless.
  • Have permanent insta-down ability - e.g. Billy, Cannibal - very annoying. Insta-down is too strong not only against survivors, but also compared to other killers with no insta-down anility. It makes it hard to balance the game between killers. If you have to do something to activate the insta-down ability temporarily (i.e. Myers Tier III), then that's ok.
  • Have tendency for tunneling - e.g. Legion, Freddy, Doc, Hag - it's frustrating for survivors. It is linked to the "Wallhacks" DONT. Wallhacks, Doc's hallucinations/creams and Hag's traps reinforce tunneling.

The only killers with balanced killer power CONCEPTS (they could still use some tweaking of their killer power VALUES, but the core concept is fine) are: Trapper, Clown, Spirit, Huntress, Myers (insta-down is questionable), Pig (except for annoying Reverse Bear Traps and Jigsaw Boxes).

How can I prove that these DONTS work?

Reason #1: let's sort Killers by their number of broken DONTS:

• Freddy, Legion, Doc: 3
  • Hag: 2
  • Wraith, Nurse, Billy, Cannibal: 1

No comments needed.

Reason #2: almost 2 years ago I posted a killer idea on Steam forum, because I was frustrated with the existing killers. Then Myers and Pig came out. Myers is almost identical with that killer idea (except for Myers-specific Stalking and Tier 3), Myers is loved by most players. Pig (except for Reverse Bear Traps and Jigsaw Boxes) is a clone of that idea. If it's a coincidence or not doesn't matter in this case. That idea was based on the same considerations as this DONTS list and I thought I could share it with you.

Some Killer mains will not agree with this list, because there is a conflict of interests, they want killer powers to be as strong as possible, this is natural, but you as DEVs are interested in balanced killer powers more than anyone else.

Good luck with future killer ideas.

Comments

• yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832
    Options

how DARE the devs give killers actually threatening powers

every killer should just be a complete clown

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

@Jacoby2041

Sweet! Time to bring Saboteur, Unbreakable, Head on and Urban evasion!

None of those are any of the things you just listed as unfair.

• tatterz
    tatterz Member Posts: 41
    Options

It's funny you listed Spirit as a fine killer concept when she ACTUALLY goes invisible. The devs keep the shimmer on wraith and allow you to see Freddy during the transition, but a coinflip killer literally popping up in front of your face is okay. There's not much outplay potential because you receive no feedback when playing against her.

At least Nurse can be fun to juke, even if she's stronger.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

@tatterz While you are right about Spirit violating this list I would like remind you that Spirit can't see you either. Meaning that if you can predict her then you can avoid getting hit by her power every time.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    Options

OP abandoned thread and never defended their post.

Rip

• kabarekabal
    kabarekabal Member Posts: 57
    Options

For all the dismissive comments from players who have played this game 1+ year.

I started not so long ago, and I can say with 100% that majority of survivors lose vs killers. Killer players have huge advantage in that they don't need co-ordination with teammates in order to have a chance at winning. A lone killer who relies on himself only, therefore it's all purely up to a player's skill.

Whereas with survivors more often than not, it's pure luck to get very good players who play their cards right in order for at least 2 players to escape.

The game is unbalanced for the majority of players who play as survivors, because most of them have average skills and do not co-ordinate using mics in regular rank games, which drastically reduces odds of winning against killers.

I'm not talking about friends who use mics, I'm talking about regular ranking games.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    Options
  • MistressChara
    MistressChara Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2019
    Options

You basically just said that all killers have bad powers. And that survivors should be able to influence and control the pace of the game despite not being the power role?

• AlexAnarchy
    AlexAnarchy Member Posts: 685
    edited April 2019
    Options

Ooooh boy this OP sure is in for that survivor mains dream of killer bully sim are'nt they?

Very Subtle about it...

• Akuma
    Akuma Member Posts: 407
    Options

Play clown for the rest of your rank 1 life. have. fun. o/