What a better AntiAliasing would do for Dead by Daylight.

Jackikins
Jackikins Member Posts: 66
edited May 2019 in General Discussions

[Below is the full post. I messed it up because I tried adding a "discussion" tag but apparently pressing enter posts the entire thing. Sorry.]

Comments

• CallMeSpidey
    CallMeSpidey Member Posts: 625

Alcoholics Anonymous?

• Jackikins
    Jackikins Member Posts: 66
    edited May 2019

So, out of curiosity I thought I'd check out DBD at 4K (downscaled because I only have a 1080p monitor). And oh my, does it make such a huge difference.

(most of what I say about the older update are from memory, so sorry if I get anything incorrect)

We can blame alot of lost details in the environment and character models on DBD's current Anti Aliasing. Before, in earlier updates before DBD's engine was update to the Unreal Engine version 4.2.0/4.2.1, DBD used an anti-aliasing technique called FXAA (Fast approximate Anti Aliasing) which was the lightest form of AA, did it's job but had many downsides. Namely what it does to textures, especially transparent ones. It makes them all "muddy" In a way that is generally unpleasant to look at, and makes seeing things in the distance awful.

The current AA we have in DBD (I'm unsure of what it actually is) doesn't work in the same as FXAA. FXAA only works by smoothing the edge between each pixel over and over until the desired effect was achieved which can look bad compared to the current AA which seems to work by smoothing the edged around models on the map which works well, but still makes alot of finer details on models and in the environment.

(If any of my knowledge is wrong, please refer to this video by Tech Quicky) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDo5TKr6pyc

[posted by accident will finish it up quickly]

Below is an image that in some way shows the difference that would be made if we had something like MSAA or SSAA.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

The 4K looks fresh, the 1080p looks garbo.

• Remki
    Remki Member Posts: 24

look at that 4k Ultra graphics that would destroy my computer...

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

Environmental details would be more important to this game. Most often, we're all running around or focusing too hard to really take in the scenery, which is a shame.

• cetruzzo
    cetruzzo Member Posts: 323

which vga do you have? could you explain where you set the 4k res?

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

All I want is being able to disable AA. It drains my performance.

• VESSEL
    VESSEL Member Posts: 1,068

4k makes the black much more defined. Feels like Borderlands! :p

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

U can use ReShade.me to get the same or even better effects. Besides using different AA options u can also activate adaptive sharpening or Luma sharpening to remove the muddy blurry mess. For me it's a must have, the standard DbD graphics are hurting my eyes and my brain to much

• Aceonfire
    Aceonfire Member Posts: 304

If you play as survivor (or killer in a lot of situations) you are at a huge disadvantage.

You can only see the killers stain through walls on low.

Playing maps like ColdWind as killer on anything but low and again, you are at a huge disadvantage. It's infinately easier to spot dark skinned Clauds and also stay on the trail of those who run and duck in the corn.

Like -a - million - times - easier.