The DC problem: ScottJund's stream

gantes
gantes Member Posts: 1,611

I'm watching Scott's stream from yesterday and I'm just speechless.

As some of you know, he's a very good killer play, sitting at red ranks. Therefore, he plays against high-rank, theoretically good survivors.

He went through 3 hours of gameplay without having a single match with no DCs. He was using Spirit, Huntress and Billy, with pretty standard builds, nothing toxic or overpowered. Then he tried a Wraith game. There's no way people will DC against Wraith, right?

Wrong. He only got a match with no DCs by playing perkless, add-onless Freddy, and got only one kill (because the survivors deliberately left their teammate behind, it was an easy save). Only in a game that easy did no one DC.

Let's face it, DCs don't happen only against strong killers. Some DCs can be attributed to that. Some DCs happen against Nurse, Prayer Beads Spirit, Instasaw Billy or Iri Head Huntress. But most don't. Most DCs happen because people don't like losing. Most DCs happen because there is no punishment (and you can downright abuse DC to rank up, since the two pips you lose when DCing come back upon restarting the game so you can just DC from any game you know you won't get a pip from).

The problem isn't on the game, the problem is on the players' mentality. Before complaining about the game state, everyone should think long and hard about whether or not they're contributing to make a decently enjoyable experience for the other players, which are human beings just like you.

Until dedicated servers roll out, we're stuck with no punishment from DC, so please think about how you're making everyone else miserable everytime you ragequit from a game.

Comments

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

I feel like its getting worse as every day passes.

I don't remember it being this bad 3 months ago, not sure why its getting worse by the day.

• ItsYourBoyGuzma
    ItsYourBoyGuzma Member Posts: 797

Yes, everyone has realized this.

This is why the majority want dedicated servers in DBD already, we hope it'll fix the DCing problem but to be honest with you i dont have faith in the servers being stable..

I also dont have faith in the devs actually penalizing "certain" people for when they DC.

• FireHazard

"OP Killers" literally had a post who DC'ed to Leatherface yesterday.

I don't think people can keep saying that under the guise that its OK to DC because of an "OP Killer" meanwhile, we have people that DC because they got downed first, found first, nobody came to rescue them, nobody was doing gens, etc. And use that same excuse to hide the actual fact they DC'ed.

• gantes

Just to make it clear, DCing killers suck too. I've had some killers recently disconnecting when Ruin gets destroyed early or when they lose too much time on one survivor. The problem isn't only with survivors.

Everyone should check themselves, not only survivors.

I just so happen to see survs thinking DCing is OK much more often than killers.

• FTSA
    FTSA Member Posts: 33

My only worry is that people will now decide to kill themselves on hook once a punishment for DCing gets added.

• FireHazard

The reality is, nobody wants to take an L. So in their mind, DCing isn't losing.

In reality, it just makes you a bigger loser than if you stuck with your team till the end.

The same applies to Killer, if you DC because of Ruin being broken than that just shows you can't play without it. If you DC because you wasted too much time on one Survivor, that's your fault for being looped knowing full well that Survivor knows what their doing.

Etc, etc. To most people who DC, it isn't an L so that's why they do it. These players are not stupid either, they know not to do it too much to avoid the ban, so they do it in "moderation" and its pathetic honestly.

• gantes

That would still suck, but at least the killer gets a hook and the survivor can't DC abuse to rank up.

Assuming rank will actually be worth grinding someday, I think they have to be thinking about how to make rank more rewarding.

• FireHazard

It may cause DC'ers to actually play for once because DCing is "outlawed"

Its either that, or they just die on hook. But I'd prefer that over people DCing from being picked up, going down first, being found first, being slugged, etc.

Its a better trade than you think.

• ItsYourBoyGuzma
    ItsYourBoyGuzma Member Posts: 797

this is why there needs to be a punishment for suiciding as well.

It almost like the devs dont realize they need to nip the issues (aka survivors when they get upset about getting downed or hooked too early because theyre fav streamer lasts 10mins) in the bud sooner rather than later.

An example of this is that survivors for over a year and a half expected to always survive (at lauch.)

Once pallet vacuums got removed it started changing their mind set for the better. Tbh the devs shouldve never let survivors think they should be able to live EVERY single match, this essentially helped craft certain players ego's be larger than their own head.

• BACKSTABBER
    BACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809

DC punishment is not the solution, solutions are:

• rewards by not DCs
    • making game more exciting/interesting/challenging
    • new feats, modes, items, rewards system....
  • HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

People don't want dedicated servers primarily for DC punishment, they want it for better game quality. DC punishment with servers is something the devs bring up pretty late

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

Both is the same for me, the only difference is to get a BBQ stack.

I will call it now, once DC punishments drop survivors will suicide on hook like they did during hollowed blight event. If the core isn't fixed, punishment can't force fun for players. Imo DC punishment will probably not help at all. Worst case we will just lose more players.

• Perelie
    Perelie Member Posts: 433
    edited May 2019

People started DC'ing in direct response to Legion. Due to BHVR's survivor bias, their response was to nerf Legion instead of punishing DC's. Now that survivors know they can get killers nerfed by rage-quitting, they've begun to do this a lot more.

• snowflake102
    snowflake102 Member Posts: 2,188

We'll thats alot better then them dcing:) at least it will count as a kill.

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796

It actually started with Freddy, but it really didn't pick up until Legion. First time is a fluke, second time is when a pattern begins to emerge....

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

I was actually thinking of adding a large blood point chunk for the struggle phase. Much more than there is currently any way. It may be enough incentive.

• FireHazard

I'd prefer DCing being fixed over suicides on hooks tbh.

But you're right, both are an issue and I wouldn't be surprised if dying on the hook early becomes reportable when DCing is fixed.

• gantes

Here's the thing.

Almost every multiplayer game has a punishment for DC. It's pretty standard.

Any game that doesn't is bound to have people exploiting DCing to not derank/not to lose.

I agree that what you said is also necessary, but a punishment for DCing is vital for any online multiplayer game.

• FireHazard

That's a bold statement, while I can agree that people DC'ed because they refused to like him and wanted him massively changed, I don't agree that THAT is why they nerfed him.

He was nerfed because the majority of the community disliked him, and the devs had no idea what they were doing with him in the first place. So to stop all the crying, they nerfed everything about him into the dirt so people would stop. And they did, they stopped for awhile.

But now, people are DCing more often, and I don't feel its because they think it will cause change in Killers they dislike. I think its the majority of the community (mostly newer players) realize that they can get away with this if they do it in "moderation" and its working too...

Sadly, I hope this gets fixed too or this game will just become unplayable from all the DCing, they stated in one of these posts that they're working on having a system coexist with dedicated servers but... We'll have to wait and see if it will work.

• NeaJovovich
    NeaJovovich Member Posts: 234

DCing an unofficial way to tell the Killer to go F himself.

Legion? Really? Out of the dozen killers, you pick that?

Any nurse over 3 blinks.

Camping killers.

Slugging killers.

Etc.

I don't really care about DCs if it's cuz a Killer player is being nasty. Serves them right.

But all this will be taken care of with the official servers - THANK GOODNESS!

• gantes

"I don't really care about DCs if it's cuz a Killer player is being nasty. Serves them right."

part. of. the. problem