We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

What is a "win" to you?

Catbucket
Catbucket Member Posts: 335

Ive been seeing a lot of things that have been making me curious, so I really want to ask both survivors and killers. What does it take for you to consider a round as a win? The game itself is pretty loose and open on this subject, and I've actually seen a lot of conflicting answers, so I'm just trying to gather a little information here.

Comments

• Maelstrom10
    Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,922
    edited June 2019

Pipping/having a fun match.

Oh and making sure anyone who is a dick has the worst possible match. You sandbag me and attempt to work with the killer? Prepare to get farmed. Your playing a killer in a broken/unfun way (ie legion double mend exploit and other broken ways, mori spamming a guy you tunneled off first hook etc) I will personally loop you for 5 gens and make sure my teammates escape etc. You sandbag another survivor then farm them? Expect to get facecamped.

But in general so long as the match is fun I've won 🙂

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

As a killer, 4K. I can settle for a 3K, but that's not quite satisfying, except when I manage to catch the fourth survivor but decide to give him the Hatch.

As survivor: I play two different styles. If I play stealthy, I want to escape. Don't care about pips, don't care about BP or how much I helped my team; if I manage to slip out, I'm happy.

But a little more often, I get my We're Gonna Make It and/or BT, and try to do it all: saves, generators, wasting the killer's time. Survival be damned. That's the only case when I actually care about pips.

Oh and there is one more thing: I always use Diversion. In any game, if I use it at least two-three times successfully and make the killer lose me in a chase, I feel like a winner, whatever the outcome of the trial.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited June 2019

3 or 4k is a win

2k is just average, definitely not a win though.

Any kill you had to camp for doesn't count though imo.

Like hypothetically gates are open and I've got someone on the hook. There's basically no reason to leave in this scenario so I don't blame a killer for camping at that point. However if that was me, that kill wouldn't be included in my "kill count" in deciding whether I won or lost.

I also wouldn't count any kills from survivors just trolling at end game, DC's, or NOED (I don't use it though). All these extra scenarios aren't kills that were earned which is why they aren't included. (Also a reason the devs determining balance based on their kill stats is heavily flawed)

I couldn't care less about pips.

Just my opinion.

• Catbucket

My main reason for bringing this up, is Ive started to realise that a lot of killers only consider a 4k to be a win, meanwhile that reaaaaally doesnt seem to be the intention of the game. Similarly, Ive noticed a lot of survivors that will get downright belligerent if even one person doesnt escape.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

For the game to not crash and neither the survivors or killer quit. My standards these days are low.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Escaping & killing all.

• xmidnitejokerx
    xmidnitejokerx Member Posts: 26

It depends on what build I am running, but mainly just having fun and getting a lot of points and making fun plays. I mean for example if I’m playing trapper without ruin or NOED at red ranks against good survivors and I get get a lot of hooks and only end up with 1 or 2 kills, I consider that a win. If I’m instasaw billy with ruin and BBQ and a mori, anything less than a 4K I’m going to consider that a loss. Same thing on survivor side, if I get chased the whole match while my team gets 5 gens done and escape, I’m going to consider that a win in my book even if I die because sometimes dying or escaping is out of your control.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited June 2019

A win for me is getting to do what I set out to do in the match.

Sometimes that's escaping, sometimes it's not. When I run Santa Claus build and everyone beats me to opening chests I consider that a loss and it makes me want to DC.

• Maelstrom10
    Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,922

I don't know but I wouldn't mind finding you sometime! Here's hoping you find the happier souls some day haha

• Judith
    Judith Member Posts: 819
    edited June 2019

Escaping as survivor and dominating survivors as killer. If I let survivors go as a killer I consider that a win too. I am not a 4k person.

And yeah if killer lets me escape I consider that a loss.

Post edited by Judith on
  • PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176

As long as I, and the other players had fun in the match, that's a win to me

• Injuryble
    Injuryble Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2019

well besides having fun, if there have to be a win and lose then it would be for me if i play as survivor, i dont play just as myself, but as a team. so we win as a team, or we lose as a team. If the killer get 3+ kills he wins, if the survivors get 3+ escapes they win. 2k or 2 escapes is a draw. so if all my team dies, but i managed to escape as the only survivor, i still consider this a lose.

• Kenshin
    Kenshin Member Posts: 912
    edited June 2019

3 kills and at least one gen left. as suvivor to dominate the killer and get facecamped because of it. its so fun and satisfying to see the killer give up on the match and "let" everyone else escape.

• Name_Unavailable
    Name_Unavailable Member Posts: 519

having fun with the other 4 players in that game

games without tunneling camping or gen rushing

thats enough for me even if i didnt escape or i didnt kill anyone

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294

Escape as a survivor

3-4 kills as a killer

That's speaking strictly about wins/losses. Having fun is also very important to me but I separate that from the competitive part(win/lose)

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

I too consider that a loss, but I am thankful for the extra blood points.

• Akuma
    Akuma Member Posts: 407

When my mindgames were dope

• Entità
    Entità Member Posts: 1,583

I desire a long, thrilling trial, a kind of horror adventure. The result is a secondary target: I want powerful emotions.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

Fun, Adrenaline rising, heroic moments, getting out alive when you thought you were dead.

• SolidusPrime
    SolidusPrime Member Posts: 39

I don't think this game was ever originally meant as a black-and-white, win-or-lose type of thing. There are sooooooo many random factors in each and every match that you just can't help but get hooked sometimes, literally and figuratively.

I think we were all meant just to dive in and have fun chasing or being chased in this world of darkness.

Myself personally - I have fun in every match that doesn't ooze with toxicity. I have the most fun when matches are really, really close and that last survivor gets away by the skin of their nose :)

• Catbucket

Thats actually the overall point I was getting at, I think a lot of people view this game as incredibly black and white. I am pleased to see some people that seem to genuinely enjoy just having a good time, and setting objectives for themselves, but yeah, I've also seen a few of the answers I was expecting now.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

2K or just pipping

• Keene_Kills
    Keene_Kills Member Posts: 649

Killer or survivor, I'm just here for the BP and a little fun.

• PoisonN
    PoisonN Member Posts: 624

As a main killer, if the match is healthy it's ok to me. I can lost the match but I didn't camp or tunnel nobody (I use Huntress)

BUT survivors is always bullying me with tbags and flashlights, saying that I'm tuneller and creating so many excuses to say that I'm wrong so idk, I'm just doing for my stacks (BBC)

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192
    edited June 2019

I started having fun when i switched my messages to 'friends only' and stopped worrying about what other people thought about my playstyle as either survivor or killer. I actually find it more fun to try out new killers without having to worry about the salt you get whether you win or lose. Yeah I know i suck the first time round playing a killer, fairly sure i don't need confirmation from people.

Other than that, anything non toxic from either side, that makes me laugh, I consider that a win, because it's a game, and while I appreciate people should be allowed to have a competitive attitude towards it, I simply don't.

• OakLestat
    OakLestat Member Posts: 125

I'm a Killer Main (80% of my games are killer)

3k is a win. That doesn't mean I can't have a fun match if I only kill 1 or 2 but I didn't win.

As a survivor an escape through a doorway is a personal win. But for a survivor team win you need to get 2 people out.

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080

Gates opened: Survivors win

Gates closed: Killer wins

• No_Cluie_Louis
    No_Cluie_Louis Member Posts: 1,093

As killer it's more about knowing i did well. If i get a 2k against a SWF team then i'l be happy, but against a bunch of rank 20's id probs be very sad.

As for survivor purely depends again on how well i think i've done. If i die early on i'l be very annoyed

• drunky26
    drunky26 Member Posts: 686

Being chased for 5 gens only to die to a noed killer and lose 1 pip.

It's a win for me ;)))

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I would personally like a win to be "the game tells you that you win."

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080

Killer wins for hatch escapes. Its a quick way to end the game, it doesn't feel like a true, earned escape.

• thejanitor
    thejanitor Member Posts: 2

A “win”for me is escape. Just because i won though doesn’t mean it was fun and visa versa. Win or lose is secondary to “was this match worth the 15 minute wait to play”. If I get insta hooked first thing and then die having spent more time waiting for the match than playing, I’m annoyed or upset. If I get to participate in the match, contribute to someone else’s escape, and/or get over 30k BP I am very happy even if I do not escape. If I do escape and do got to actually play the game, I am thrilled. probably screaming or laughing as I escape.

• PalletOrWhat
    PalletOrWhat Member Posts: 265

imo: pip = win

• Jesp
    Jesp Member Posts: 192
    edited June 2019

I guess it falls under "have a good game", with some special exceptions depending on what build I'm using.

If I'm running Devour Hope I've already won in my mind if I get to mori a single survivor with it for example, and if I get 4 stacks of BBQ&Chili I might still lose, but the defeat sure tastes like a win in the end 😄

For survivor I often sacrifice myself to save someone else, but if I'm running a plundering build you better believe I'm out of there if I found something nice. I guess I indirectly play for pips as survivor as trying to do multiple things (saves, gens, chase, stealth and so on) tends to give decent emblems and BP.

Bottom line is I'd much rather have a game with lots of action and kill 2 survivors than get a 4k with 5 gens up because they just rushed the hook and all got smacked down, just like I'd rather die as a survivor with 20k points than annihilate a killer I clearly outmatch and get 11k points.

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059

Having fun and memeing with the killer

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    edited June 2019

I like to get survivors killed or sacrificed by any means necesary, I don't care if the Entity gets displeased or not. But my ultimate prize is getting a salty comment from a dead survivor in my Steam profile. That means I made someone so mad, angry and miserable that they wasted time writing those hatefull words trying to cleanse themselves from those feelins to no avail. I call those "My trophies" <3

I like to escape as a survivor, I am not very good at it ;-)

• sorrowen
    sorrowen Member Posts: 742
    edited June 2019

Survivor its escaping and as killer its getting a 4k or 3k.

• dragobv
    dragobv Member Posts: 304

4 bbq stacks i could care less if they escaped

• liviu1911
    liviu1911 Member Posts: 150

well i don't know for sure... depends how i feel at the time when i play. sometimes i have fun only being first killed as survivor , or playing billy and being bad at nurse... :))) sometimes i play just one match then i close the game for 3-4 days...(yes, i have fun by not playing the game sometimes.... sometimes minecraft is better <3 )

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,190

4 tokens of bbq or wglf~

• Pennosuke
    Pennosuke Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2019

Got at least 1 pip or got more than 50k bloodpoints per round = win

• AStupidMonkeyy
    AStupidMonkeyy Member Posts: 718

Great chases and mindgames coupled with lots of BPs. It's what I love most about the game.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

3+ kills as killer or 3+ escapes (does not have to include myself) as survivor

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,153
    edited June 2019

3k or 4k is a win. 2k is a draw. 1k or less is a loss. If I got hit with multiple MoM or Adrenalines and got 1k, I don't really beat myself up too much over it because those perks are broken when multiple survivors have them together in the same trial. I don't care about pips because it entirely depends on what killer I chose to use. I depip on a 3k half of the time with Trapper.