Pig's boxes are NOT RNG guys!

StarMoral
StarMoral Member Posts: 938
edited July 2019 in General Discussions

It's not like a50/50 chance ti get the trap off, y'all!

See, each box has a Randomized set of keys that can possibly even be put in another box. Each key has a set of Numbers that coincide with a trap. If you go to a box that Generated the right key, the trap comes off!

Gosh, what's so hard to understand? 🐷

Comments

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784

Always triggers me when people try to argue her traps aren't RNG.

Also, got 'em.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

How about something like this? The values can be changed..

Box 1: 10% chance RBT disarms, takes 20 seconds

Box 2: 25% chance, 16 seconds

Box 3: 50% chance, 12 seconds

Box 4: 100% chance, 8 seconds

• Ember_Hunter
    Ember_Hunter Member Posts: 1,693

Maybe since you are using blood, each box you search actually takes longer to search with the increased RNG rate? Makes Ms. Piggy much more powerful :)

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

It's only removeae at first box if they guess the right box. It's like ruin.

The alternative is to make them actual RNG, prevent first opening, and then be hit with a shitload of second attempt openings because of bad RNG. No ty.

A guessing game is fine. It's basically how Saw movies worked. And I say basically because Amanda was a dirty little cheater.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

I'm pretty sure if you see someone else, or you get your trap off at one box, that box is done for the rest of the game. I have never seen multiple people get their traps off at the same box.

It won't unlock any other traps, so can eliminate it for future attempts.

Not 100% sure though.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,333

Ive been unlucky my last 2 games against Pig. Both times, the key was in the last box to check, and both times, my head has popped trying. The 2nd time, I felt kinda robbed because the killer chased me for abit before I could get to the box. Even though I was in a chase...The game had the timer running for like half of it.

• Clockso
    Clockso Member Posts: 853

i know that i can get it off if i guess the right box just like the saw movies, but the jigsaw boxes themselves are based off a trap where they have to put their hands in a saw blade to fill the bucket with enough blood to open the door, you can look at this image or watch the video to see the trap in action,

anyways since amanda was known for making her traps unfair, shouldn't she do the same in dbd, you have to search all 4 boxes with a short time making it ALMOST unwinnable, and since your losing more blood the more you search, each box becomes slower to search

• darktrix

There's that and it delays you significantly even if you manage to get away. Also the trap themselves make enough noise that makes getting away harder. A lot of pigs just tunnel the guy with the trap on them on top of it.

• Clockso

so if a killer camps a box the survivor dies from the trap, if a killer camps a hook the survivor dies by the entity, basically when they camp they ensure a kill, but waste a ######### ton of time, they could make it so that the trap pauses when near the killer

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523

Not necessarily. If old facecamping was still a thing, sure. But these days you can make some pretty nutty saves with BT and DS. The Pig by comparison could just stand in front of a box and there would be nothing you could do about it. You would be guaranteed to die the second there's a trap on your head.

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

I would honestly be fine if they changed it so the key can never be in the last box if it also could never be in the first box. The point of the RBT is not to kill, it is to stall the game and getting the trap off in the first box takes all that away from the Pig.

• Clockso

as i said, make the trap so that it pauses within a certain range of the killer, DON'T MAKE IT BASED ON THE TERROR RADIUS cuz the pig can just crouch then camp

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,333

@Clockso Camping a box would be way easier than camping a hook. With the hook, several perks are there to help on the survivor side, they only need a second to GET the unhook and at best, you could guarantee 1 kill. With a box, EVERY survivor who has a trap on their head would need that same exact box. Youd also only have to stick around the general area and interrupt ppl mid action doing the box. If theres afew gens nearby, you can definitely set up a 3 gen strat while keeping an eye on the box. Since ppl would be dropping from head pops, you dont really need to bother with actual CHASES from ppl wearing headgear. Youd just keep forcing them to get off the box and have to restart it again.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I was just ranting about this exact thing to my friend last night. It boggles my mind how many people overcomplicate how they think it works.

The problem is that she doesn't have to camp until the Survivor has searched three boxes. So once they are at the fourth box, you get them away by any means necessary and then sit there until they die.

Plus, what happens if you have multiple people with traps on and the same box they need to search? Suddenly camping one box kills multiple people. Is that good game design? I don't think so. If you want to make them have to guarantee search X number of boxes to get the trap off, you have to make sure the number of boxes available is greater than X.

The problem is that making it so you only have to search two or three boxes limits the amount of pressure it puts on a Survivor to do the boxes in a timely manner. Why do I have to take my time away from the gens ASAP if I know I never have to search four boxes? At worst, I look at one, and if I fail, I just do gens before I gotta search the other two.

• Clockso
    edited July 2019

i have 2 solutions for this issue

1. Pause the RBT timer when standing within 32m near the killer, (the 32m is not the terror radius, just a fixed number cuz pig can crouch and her terror radius will be 0 but the trap will pause when within 32m no matter what perks you use to decrease or increase the terror radius)
    2. . Make it so that you have to at least search 2 boxes instead of all 4 and each box will be faster than before, 16 seconds/12/ seconds/8 seconds/6 seconds

even if bhvr doesn't agree with these changes pig still lacks power just like the majority of killers do in red ranks, it's unbelievable how many killers become weak and only 3 are viable

• TAG

Suggestion 1 makes the RBT garbage IMO. Suggestion 2 is one I am personally advocating for myself. I also think Amanda's Letter should be changed to lose the downsides as well.

• Clockso

you know what? i agree with you that this would create tons of issues in terms of game design, i think what pig truly needs is an add on rework, getting the blindness and hemorrhage status effect in a reverse bear trap is T O T A L L Y U S E F U L, she needs add ons that increase ambush range, silent the roar, increase crouch speed etc...

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523

That's all well and good, but then you're in a situation where you have a trap that you can never take off. If the rest of the team does generators and leaves, you will die to the collapse. If they don't, you are stuck in that game forever.

• Alfred
    Alfred Member Posts: 272

RBT is just cosmetic in this game...

• Clockso

that is actually a really good point, it's basically hatch standoff 2.0

but do you guys have something planned for pig in the future? QOL changes or add ons rework?

• TomTheSequel
    TomTheSequel Member Posts: 58

I disagree about Amanda's Letter. It is one her best add-ons if used correctly. Amanda's secret needs to be changed as well as Rules Set #2.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

@TomTheSequel

Well I will agree that it is one of her best addons and my personal favorite I still think it needs a range increase.

Considering you're basically losing half your kit I would say like 20 m or something instead of 12

• TomTheSequel
    TomTheSequel Member Posts: 58

That's fair. It's my favorite add-on for her too. I love scaring people at Lery's with it! 😄

• Volfawott

Definitely it's super fun that way.

Also if you play on the game the amount of times you could surprise a survivor by using the floors to cut them off as you can see exactly where they're going is the best.

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367

They need to make so that Survivors can't search for the key until it's activated or make it so that generators don't activate them anymore and that the key is placed after one Jigsaw Box has been searched.

Pig can't stall the game when her power DEPENDS on the trial progressing. It doesn't make any sense.

• TAG

It is bad on all but, like, two maps (Lehry's and The Game). There is no reason it needs to have those downsides. Without them, it would be a decent bit better. I agree on Secret and RSN2, though.

• Mikeadatrix
    Mikeadatrix Member Posts: 890
    edited July 2019

Fixing Amanda isn't rocket science but we all know how slow the devs are to adjust things properly.

Rules Set No. 2 should be base kit. Every Pig main and Pig player agrees. We shouldn't have to waste an ultra rare addon and a slot for something that should come with the kit. Imagine if Amanda could just mosey on over to the dude in the room, casually get the key out, and then as she's unlocking it, the trap starts. There's no pressure that way and that movie scene would've been a joke, which is funny because that's what RBT's are ingame. Make RSN2 basekit for the love of god.

Her crouching and ambush addons are practically worthless aside from a meme ambush build. Get rid of those and just give her the number tweaks she'd get from them as a part of her basekit.

These two changes give her the two things she lacks and fixes the problems with her. It applies pressure to the survivors once their timer starts and it makes it so her addons are more consistent with who she is as a killer.

Devs, please. Do it for us oinkers.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

It's still RNG, but the dice roll happens at the start of the game not when someone is searching a box.

And as survivor, you feel robbed if you have to search all 4 boxes. Which happens more than you think, but as killer you only notice when they get the trap off right away, NOT when they have to do every box. This is something killers ignore constantly when it comes to Pig. God forbid a player just gets lucky and goes to the right box the first time, but it's totally okay when they have 0 luck and have to do every box. Hypocrisy is strong.

• MySpaceBarsBroken
    MySpaceBarsBroken Member Posts: 167

Lmao as if you've ever actually prevented a face camp in game against a high ranking killer. Unless a killer is a braindead rank 20. The guy who is getting face camped, is most certainly dead. Notice how you need 2 perks and even then it still doesnt prevent face camping. You said 'old' facecamping... what old facecamping??? Its never changed it's always been the same facecamping and you've done nothing to prevent it.

• Volfawott

@TAG

Honestly I think the downsides of fine it kind of switches her power to be more ambush focused than trap focused it just needs a lot more of a bonus then it has to come back the down sides.

Because right now the downstairs you get far outweigh the benefits.

For example increasing the Range to 20 or 24 m instead of 12. To effectively use the add-on you would have to crouch quite frequently which makes you lose a lot of map pressure and the range of provides you with is kind of of crappy this will help you plan out ahead of time I'm as you could see a lot earlier.

Or you could also so tremendously increased her crouch movement speed

• ShyN3ko
    ShyN3ko Member Posts: 1,616

It's not like a50/50 chance ti get the trap off, y'all!

See, each box has a Randomized set of keys that can possibly even be put in another box. Each key has a set of Numbers that coincide with a trap. If you go to a box that Generated the right key, the trap comes off!

Gosh, what's so hard to understand? 🐷

Did you just describe RNG?

Now joke aside.

Pig RBT dont have a good mechanic.

Its more luck than skill.

This would be my idea.

I hope you guys understand it.

jigsaw box key chance:

The Player has different RBT.

The Player choose, how many jigsaw boxes the survivors need.

The Player can choose them with 1,2,3(numpad) and then

use them with the killer ability.

Without Addons:

1 RBT with 100% key chance in the second jigsaw box from the survivor with this RBT.

1 RBT with 100% key chance in the third jigsaw box from the survivor with this RBT.

2 RBT with 100% key chance in the fourth jigsaw box from the survivor with this RBT.

Last Will:

1 RBT with 100% key chance in the second jigsaw box from the survivor with this RBT.

2 RBT with 100% key chance in the third jigsaw box from the survivor with this RBT.

2 RBT with 100% key chance in the fourth jigsaw box from the survivor with this RBT.

• darktrix

He means back in the old days when the killer could just stand in front of your hook and no one could unhook the person cause the killer blocked it -- face camping.

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428

@Carpemortum @darktrix

Small correction here. Keys can spawn in the same Jigsaw box. Its rare, but it can definitely happen. I have seen it, since I like to keep track of who uses what boxes to narrow down chances. Even Devs confirmed it during a livestream some months ago.

• TAG
    edited July 2019

If they add additional upsides to off-set the downsides to make it useable in more places, I would certainly be okay with that. As is, it is only really usable in two maps.

• Dr_Trauts
    Dr_Trauts Member Posts: 704

One of the reasons pig will never, EVER, be in top tier. Is because of stupid RNG mechanics. and yes, it is RNG.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Fair enough. Didnt know that. But it is still a guess of where is it, not how many attempts until I "find" it.

• purebalance7
    purebalance7 Member Posts: 90

Actually it is. For all of the first box times you cry about there are last box times.

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651
    edited July 2019

I'm fine with the odds of removing the traps. They are fair. Sometimes you get it in the first box and it kinda suck for the Pig, sometimes you get it in the last box and it waste a ton of time for the survivor or kill them.

What I'm not fine about is that well coordinated survivors can just delay the gens, leaving them a 99% so that their teammates can search the jigsaw boxes without any pressure. An inactive RBT should activate when you start searching a jigsaw box.

Also like many killers, Amanda is plagued by lackluster add-ons.

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636

The issue is not that the Billy-boxes can get the RBT off the first time, however the odds work.

The issue is the devs gave a rare but clear design-intent statement for the Pig and then once again U-turned on it. The point of her ability was that it was supposesd to turn survivors against each other: the RBT is activated by a gen being completed. This is an event which should be certainly perilous for a survivor trapped in one, but it isn't. The devs gave it an overly-generous timer and then had it so that timer paused in a chase, but it's not clear if it's the same chase we know of or a different measure to the one that constantly ceases for killers when a survivor is just feet away or still in LoS.

Even after that U-turn, they nerfed it so it now won't go off unless it has already been activated. They did a similar thing with the hilariously-long timer for EGC, which also slows when it conveniences the survivor.

• TAG

"The issue is the devs gave a rare but clear design-intent statement for the Pig and then once again U-turned on it. The point of her ability was that it was supposesd to turn survivors against each other"

Source?

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636

The devs could answer faster and more precisely than I. Wouldn't it be nice if they did so for once?

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    edited July 2019

Simple. Players need 2 keys and the addon's that change the number of boxs are changed to not do that. Besides amandas lettter, that one's fine.

Any 2 keys will work and they are reusable.

Bam, no RNG and no camping.