The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Whispers COUNTER

Given that most perks in the game have a counter of some sort or other, I can't help feel that a survivor perk which would counter Whispers is in order?

As the perk is very specific though, the counter should also be, in that you run it and the ONLY thing it would work against would be Whispers alone. Call it what you will, have it work however you like, but one suggestion would maybe be similar to the Diversion perk, ergo maybe the survivor has to be within the killer's terror radius to build up a 'rock' / device that they can then either use it to 'throw' their 'Whispers position' a full 16m or so away, or perhaps better would be that it would simply hide them from the Whispers perk and the killer would lose all signal of them being in range of it for a certain length of time (even just 5 seconds would be something.)

So, in short, Anti-Whispers perk, let's call it 'Not Hear' (as I don't think Jedi Mind Trick would go down well with Disney):

1. Time in TR 'til activation = 10 seconds
  2. Effect lasts 6 seconds (auto) or 8 seconds (device thrown 16m away from position)
  3. Cooldown = 30 seconds.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Akuma
    Akuma Member Posts: 407

would like some counter. but people dont give a s about whispers so it stays how it is

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

Whispers isn't that big of a deal. It's really good just to find the last survivor since you can lose as much time as you want, while even if it lits up at the start of the game near a gen, the killer can't waste much time searching for you, so he will eventually have to abandon the spot if you hide well.

• MisterTIBS
    MisterTIBS Member Posts: 75

But what good is that to you if you're the last survivor and the killer has kicked the hatch closed?

• My_Farewell
    My_Farewell Member Posts: 495

Diversion?

• avilmask
    avilmask Member Posts: 599

Isn't being more than one in the same area is a counter already? It already becomes useless with a hooked person in a radius. So basically "don't be the last survivor". Hatch situation is exception to all game rules, asking for privileges when you already granted a chance of free escape is just impudence.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737

Are you seriously complaining about one of the worst tracking perks in the game?

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

Whispers is fine. It doesn't pinpoint the location of the survivor. Only tells they're withing 32m.

Only time I see whispers as "unfair" is when the killer closes hatch but the killer did manage to kill 3 survivors so it's not like he doesn't deserve the win.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

Hehe xD....... in all seriousness whispers can be countered simply by being near a downed,hooked player that way it won't pick you alone up.... the longer the killer spends looking for you the more time they're wasting....... why should you waste a perk slot on something that's so easily countered now....... yes experienced killers will use this better and find survivors easier but not too many players stick with it to become "elite" with the perk..

• MisterTIBS

So you're in a team with 3 potatoes and that = "you got outplayed"? Riiiight, 6000 IQ answer right there.

• MisterTIBS

The point is that there are different ways of playing the game - one of which is stealth. So you could be the one survivor on the team who outplays the killer for the entire game, never being seen (which already will see you not rewarded for that in the way a survivor who runs straight up to a killer and throws every single pallet on the map down will be), getting totems, doing the gens, unhooking other survivors, playing THAT role perfectly, then you get the last gen as the last other remaining survivor gets downed.

You go for an exit gate but the killer knows you are there despite remaining hidden, he knows you're NOT at the other exit, and now he's got eyes on that exit gate you're nearby and closes the hatch. What's your plan? There's literally nothing (short of getting or having a key for to reopen the hatch) you can do to escape even if the killer STILL never finds you one single time in the game, you're gonna die.

Remember, this would solely be to counter a perk which most killers won't even be running, and I highly doubt many survivors would run it either - so what's the problem with taking 'no chance' and giving 'tiny chance' for situations like this?

And yes, as far as calling Whispers the 'worst tracking perk' - you obviously speak of your own opinion, which is wrong btw :)

• MisterTIBS

Horrordude, your mind is so open, Moses would've had nothing on you, clearly.

• MisterTIBS

Yeah, and little arrows pointing them out on the screen, seems like you'd be all for that too.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

Whispers forces the killer to hunt around and make correct guesses about player location. The counter is to move around and not try to "hide" behind a rock or whatever.

Running any perk solely to counter one other specific perk is a dumb idea, regardless. "A perk to counter this perk" falls down in terms of logic, because you can't plan around it or know what the other side is bringing, so chances are you're just gimping yourself.

• MisterTIBS

You think I'm saying this cos I just played a game where it came into it? Bless.

I think beyond the end of the nose on my own face, unlike some apparently ;)

• MisterTIBS

Anyway, I'm done, it's clear that there are far too many who play the game who think only of themselves and their own way of playing and have absolutely zero room for a mechanic being added which would SOLELY be to disrupt arguably the ONE perk in the game which (ultimately) is unable to be countered regardless of how well a survivor does in the game.

Personally, even as killer, I don't think having the position of a survivor on the map should be a 100% given at any time, and certainly not once it gets down to 1v1. But maybe that's just cos I like to rely on a thing I call 'skill.'

• Rydog

I would embrace your poker analogy for what I am describing here, because the survivor and the killer are both trying to outplay each other when Whispers is in play.

As a killer, I make mistakes a lot when using Whispers, because it's a really inexact tool. A lot of times, I find it more useful for knowing when NO survivor is in the area.

You're right that it definitely does create some no-win scenarios for the last survivor standing.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Whispers isn't great. It's too vague most of the time. Since it also counts survivors on the hook, you can't use it to great effect even in guarding hooks either. I see this as a non-issue.

• FlipRickyDonks
    FlipRickyDonks Member Posts: 12

The perk is already really niche and does not give much information. Definitely does not need a nerf.

• Mak0
    Mak0 Member Posts: 251

Whispers dosent need a counter perk like Adrenaline is Against NOED. Whispers dosent pinpoint the exact location of survivors it just gives you audio cues when your close. That's all no Auras trackers exposed effect etc. You have to make a prediction where a survivor is to work properly I don't think you should be too concerned about it especially when whispers can be throw off by a dying or hooked survivor

• MisterTIBS

So come endgame, with one survivor remaining and the hatch closed, do feel free to explain how the remaining survivor has any chance at all of opening an exit gate?

• Rydog

Cool necro of a dumb idea!

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428

With the same logic. The Survivor has the new Left Behind and survives until the end, they either found a key or brought it in. Feel free to explain how the Killer has a chance at catching them?

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Run wake up and start opening the gate immediately. The Killer has 17 seconds to get to you and if you picked a far gate then you will be able to get it open in time.

• Mak0
    Mak0 Member Posts: 251

Because Endgame isn't some second chance for a survivor to escape if the killer found the hatch first and triggers endgame they can use any perk to stop you from making a very risky escape. Endgame isn't to give the killers or Survivors a second chance to win. It's to finally end the game and stop people from taking the game hostage and prolonging it with hatch standoffs and waiting snd teabagging at the door not letting the game end until the killer finally tries to hit you stop treating it as a survivor sided mechanic.

• HazeHound
    HazeHound Member Posts: 814

So you basically make a perk that works only when whispers is in game? Absurd to say the least. If you want whispers counter at least make it useable on its own.

• Rydog

God, this dumb idea is still going. I don't think I've given this thread a "wat" yet. So...

WAT

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,283

I actually love running whispers whenever I have room for it. Its a stable perk on my Huntress so I dont waste too much time searching around with her slow speed in areas that are free of survivors. As far as countering it goes, you can still play stealthy and move around when a killer is looking under every rock around to find you. Eventually, even if the killer is SURE that your around... they cant waste too much time on you. As far as your endgame scenario goes, some perks shine really bright for their given side come endgame. If a survivor has deliverance and DS at endgame for example... Theyre practically already out the gate, lol.

If your looking for perks to help counter, you could always try for some pebble plays. This would cause the killer to look in an area within whispers range away from you. If you want perks to assist in a endgame scenerio, maybe wake up to allow for faster gate opening. You can simply wait by a far gate if you suspect the killer will get to the hatch first and the extra gate opening speed might help you get it open in time.

You can also use the new left behind perk to help you find the hatch before the killer. A map can help you find it faster or a key can help you open it even if the killer closes it. Ive had survivors escape right under my nose using a key while I felt SO sure I had them with whispers.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050

This is a very old post. Do people still feel the same way? Because in my experience some killers have gotten so adept at using this perk that they can nail your position with pin point accuracy. Ergo, I do think some sort of counter perk is in order. What say you?