Some improvements that the Doctor needs

White_Owl
White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
edited August 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions

The Doctor is a great killer, but he has some problems mainly due to the Shock Therapy attack not being designed as a chase tool, but rather as a status applying tool.

That said, I think there are some changes that could improve the Doctor's state:

• The Shock Therapy attack should have slightly longer range.
  • The Shock Therapy attack aoe should follow terrain.
  • The Shock Therapy attack should have a faster propagation speed: the current speed makes the actual range to hit a running survivor shorter and the delay often allow them to drop a pallet or make a vault they shouldn't have.
  • Electrode addons should be changed to reduce the charge time of the Shock Therapy attack. Polished and High Stimulus Electrode could still increase the range but with smaller % (especially if base range would be increased)
  • Rework the Scrapped Tape. It could be nice if it created a very large impulse with reduced madness increase, but really, anything would be better than the current one.

Now all these are essentially QoL/buffs, they would make hitting survivors easier, use of the shocks in chases more practical and overall putting survivors in Madness 3 easier and requiring less time, so it seems fair to me to make some adjustments to compensate:

• Being hooked puts the survivor back to Madness 2. Chases would be shorter, madness build up faster, so there would be no reason to keep a feature that only promotes tunneling and is something most people hate about Doc.
  • Working on something should help keep sanity: if the madness buildup is regressing (ie the survivor was crouching around) interacting with something shouldn't stop the regression.
  • (Optional) going to Madness 1 (so at the start of the game) should not give away the survivor's position. They would still scream so the killer could get an idea of there they are, though (so basically just remove the bubble vfx).

All these changes are basically aimed toward making the Doctor a bit stronger in chases but a bit weaker in the aspects everyone consider just annoying.

Comments

• BloodyTapp
    BloodyTapp Member Posts: 108

I really like these tbh. I love Doctor, mechanically speaking, because he's fun to use and improving his shock therapy attacks would be relatively helpful in a long run

• PotatoChips
    PotatoChips Member Posts: 6

Doc could use a tweak to help with power creep. He feels OK ish in his current state.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited August 2019

I think Doctor's shock stun was a rushed addition. That's why it can be so lackluster at times.

I like your shock buffs and Scrapped Tape rework. I've never understood why the shock delay exists. It seems pointless.

How much would your Electrodes increase the range? I was thinking Moldy could increase it by 15%, Polished could increase it by 40%, and High Stimulus could increase it by 60% instead of having them decrease the charge time. Maybe that could work for a new version of Maple Knight? I know some people like having a long-range shock or want to use the Interview Tape add-on to create a sniper Doc build.

I'm fine with the hooked Survivor staying in Madness 3 because it helps slow the game down. Besides, if it's easier to put Survivors in tier 3, then won't the Doc just shock the Survivor some more and then switch back to Punishment? If the Killer really wants to tunnel, then they'll tunnel.

I don't agree with removing the tier 1 bubble because Doctor is an anti-stealth Killer. He's supposed to have an easier time finding you.

In order for Doctor to break out of mid tier and reach the top tier, I think he should receive some more buffs:

1. Increase movement while charging up the shock (this is different from base treatment mode speed) to at least 105%. He can lose a lot of distance from just trying to use his shocks. It can make using the Polished and High Stimulus Electrodes much harder than it needs to be.
    2. Significantly shorten or remove the transition between switching modes.
    3. Add the illusionary pallets to his base kit.
    4. Change the Order series of add-ons to either buff the illusionary pallets (like letting Survivors drop them if they're standing) or give a new effect (like having the illusions randomly perform actions).
    5. This change is just personal (I'm not even sure if it's true, I'd make sure it is though before implementing it), but the illusions shouldn't spawn on a different floor than the Survivor they're tracking on multi-floored maps like The Game. It's really annoying to check one floor because of the illusion and then find nothing because the Survivor was actually on the other floor.
    6. New Ultra Rare add-on: Dr. Otto Stamper's Files. Your static field becomes map wide, shock therapy range is increased by 50% and the charge time is slightly increased. This would not stack with the Order series of add-ons (they increase the Madness gained from the static field).