EGC should ONLY activate when an exit gate is opened, not when the hatch is closed

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 42
edited May 2019 in General Discussions
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

Honestly, the extra pressure speeds up the endgame stand off. If you were tracking in any way, EGC is a death sentence for the last survivor if the hatch is closed.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    Options

That sort of goes against the point of the EGC.

But I agree. We need a perk "Honorable Seppuku" - Hurt yourself.

Or make this baseline. I have long wanted a perk like this.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • ba_tetsuo
    ba_tetsuo Member Posts: 330
    Options

"If there was no timer then the last survivor can out play the killer to escape"

...Thats part of the problem. If the game is balanced around a 4v1, then a 1v1 should not be realistically possible. Your chances of 1v1ing a killer should be way lower than your chances of opening a gate during EGC.

If there's no timer. The killer patrols the last 3 gens for the end of eternity. You can literally hide in the corner and hold the game hostage, or the killer can find you, stay close enough to make sure you can't do anything, and also hold the game hostage.

The time is there to make sure that neither side can do that.

Once you're the last one left, its literally a race to find the hatch. Find it first. Use those sweet looping skills to loop the killer as you search.

Once the hatch is closed, use those sweet stealth skill to open a gate. If you cant complete 5 gens, find the hatch first, or get a gate open. You lost. No 4th chances

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • ba_tetsuo
    Options

Its still possible. It happens probably 1 out of 5 games for me, and those odds are higher than they should be tbh. If its 1v1, survivor should have like a 1% chance.

Opening a gate takes 20 seconds. EGC is 2 minutes, I regularly see 2-3 gens pop in 2 minutes. If you can't do a gate, then practice

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650
    Options

No.

The hatch closing triggering the gate is perfect. Survivors had dibs on the hatch for over 2 years.

Now the hatch play is fair, and maybe slightly killer sided, but not by much. It's fine the way it is.

The 5th gen popping should create the EGC in my opinion... right? ;)

I think the EGC is fine the way it is.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • ba_tetsuo
    Options

A timer is literally the only way to ensure that neither side holds the game hostage. If your post was about extending the timer, then we could have a discussion. But the game needs a definite "Do this in X amount of time or you lose".

• Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650
    Options

Wrong. I play solo survivor like 80% of the time. Or more. There's no a chance to get a hatch you/me don't deserve by doing 0 or 1 gens.

And keys still unlock it. It's fine man. Stop crying over something that is actually healthy for the game.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    Options

Then we would have survivors holding the game hostage all over again. No thanks.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    Options

Then noone would risk to save someone and you as killer would not have the potential to down more survivors. It's a lose-lose situation.

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

They tried this with the first hatch closing PTB, and Survivors held the game hostage when the hatch got closed.

• holywhitetrash
    holywhitetrash Member Posts: 289
    Options

2 minutes is plenty of time if you play smart

unless you get the side by side gates in which case you probably lose but that is rng

the same way the opposite side gate spawns is practically an auto escape

• ASurvkillivorer
    ASurvkillivorer Member Posts: 1,807
    Options

That defeats the purpose of EGC. If the killer closes the hatch they patrol Exit Gate to Exit Gate. If the survivor times it well they have a decent chance of getting the gate open.

So lets UNDO the take the game hostage benefit EGC has and REINSTATE IT LOL. If the survivor can simply just stay way the hell away from the gate. They can force the killer to compromise their position until the survivor can open the gate. HELLO AGAIN long drawn out matches because a survivor with no chance refuses to do anything. I've come to play with youa gain!

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

In that situation it'd be possible to hold the game hostage. No.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,637
    Options

They need to look into the Distance between the Gates to each other and the distance between the Gates and the Hatch.

If EGC would not start when the Hatch is closed, there would be even less chance as a Survivor (Hatch closing is 100% Killer-sided, Killer is more likely to find it first, due to higher MS and no need to hide from anything), because then Gens would need to be done, and depending on the Number or Location of those, this might be really hard to pull-off, if not impossible.

Furthermore, it would not prevent anyone from just stealthing around the whole time. If the last Survivor decides to not do anything, the game will never end. And in the end, thats what EGC is for.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843
    Options

EGC starts when the hatch closes so we don't have the classic "survivor hides around the edge of the map for 40 minutes while the killer frantically runs around like a maniac trying to find them before they escape" that we had before EGC and hatch closing were a thing

• HuntressIsMyFavXD
    HuntressIsMyFavXD Member Posts: 132
    Options

I admit I am biased to the idea that EGC trigger on hatch close is fine but maybe it could be improved by The Killer not being able to see the doors anymore so the survivor can realistically open the door?

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

@Peanits you mentioned the biggest problem. Tgough I agree with your statement, the problem is that the gates do spawn that close together. It should never happen. I can't tell you how many times I've stood on a hill or a combine with a trap on each door and a clear site of both. No survivor stands a chance at all when that happens.

If the developers are too lazy to fix that issue, then give the survivor a concede button. Seriously, it is boring to stand there knowing the survivor will stay hidden and wait out EGC timer. Maybe campers enjoy it, but most of us prefer to be engaged in gameplay.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,029
    Options

I remember a similar situation to the one your describing in which I was using whispers to insure the survivor couldn't POSSIBLY sneak to an exit gate without me knowing. I remember feeling pretty smug about my cleverness too...They then opened hatch with a key they found...

Point being, just because the gates are close, doesn't mean escape is impossible.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    edited August 2019
    Options

What about balancing the Exit Gates spawning locations?

1. Killers don't like it when Hex Totems can spawn next to a generator, and you, the developers, are looking into better totem locations as a result. Great job, this is perfect!

2. Survivors don't like it when the killer can keep both Exit Gates within their LoS, which is arguably more unfair than the first scenario. It can also go both ways — with both Exit Gates being impossible to patrol.

Why am I bringing up both scenarios? Because they both have one thing in common, bad positioning. Both sides should have a fair chance, your skill shouldn't be limited to RNG, never.

I understand you want some things to be randomized, and I know the killer should have the advantage, but it shouldn't be a free 4K/escape, literally (I.E. Killer sees both Exit Gates, killer can't patrol both Exit Gates, and so on).

Do you have any plans to change Exit Gates spawning rules? :)

• kid187em
    kid187em Member Posts: 102
    Options

Wow the level of entitlement is high with this one, i sucked the whole match and i should get away for free. You lost, accept it and move onto the next game. Btw I'm a level 10 survivor and i escape more often than not during egc unless of course the exits are next to each other.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

What's stopping the final survivor from holding the match hostage by hiding in a locker if there is no timer to put pressure on them?

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

True enough. I do think there needs to be a concede button for those situations though.

• Locker_Monster
    Locker_Monster Member Posts: 496
    Options

If the EGC did not activate when the Hatch is closed, you'd go back to pre-EGC days; a Survivor would hide and dodge the Killer for literal hours, trying to force the Killer to quit.

EGC is fine. It's meant to be Killer-sided if he closes it.

..Kind of like how it's Survivor-sided if you find it first; he can't yank you out of it like the old format.

• baron
    baron Member Posts: 142
    Options

Devs dont care a lot of people hate it. Its intended to be a screw job. This mentality is why fewer people even bother with playing survivor.

• Locker_Monster
    Options

Or..and this might sound crazy..There was LOGIC to the EGC?

I know, I know; it completely thrashes your 'Devs don't care' or 'Devs hate Survivors' narritive..

But before the EGC, Survivors would spend actual HOURS hiding on maps, forcing the Killer to suck a DC & lose all his earned BP.

The OP wants to go back to those heady days of holding games hostage & abusing Killers. Which would be bad.

The hatch is fair:

If you find it first; you escape. The Killer cannot stop this.

If the Killer finds it first; you're probably screwed, but can still possibly open a gate.

Hell, that makes it sound like Survivors are STILL given another chance where Killers are not.

So much for a 'screw job'.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,112
    Options

I don't mind the EGC timer. I just have a problem with No One Escapes Death and Rancor activating from a hatch close.

If NOED punishes survivors who rush their primary objective and neglect their secondary then it should not activate from the hatch being closed.

The exposed status means that I cannot finish opening a gate that was at 99% when first hit. The killer's move speed bonus means the killer can patrol both gates faster.

Because of EGC's mechanics, I have to run Wake Up! and Small Game in my loadout, and have to 100% prioritize finding ALL 5 totems first.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768
    Options

If you want the game to go forever, sire.

• joker7997
    joker7997 Member Posts: 899
    Options

No. Bad enough that the hatch exists.

• Richter_Cade
    Richter_Cade Member Posts: 91
    Options

The dev hath spoken, and said exactly what everybody has been telling you my guy. Time to move on.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

It should be possible to do a LoS check from the 2 gates to ensure that there are no spots where LoS overlaps from both gates.

But I can imagine that would increase load times by a lot.

• Locker_Monster
    Options

Dude. You have TWO ESCAPES:

The hatch if you find it first. The Killer can't even stop you if he gets there a second late.

The doors if the Killer closes the hatch.

The Killer does not get any sort of safety net; if you leave via hatch or door, you're gone.

I love how people blame the game, or balance, or 'the Devs are biased against Survivors!' when the Survivors get TWO chances to leave and the Killers get ONE chance to stop them. 🤔

• WolfPad06
    WolfPad06 Member Posts: 182
    Options

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Posts like these perfectly illustrate how the community mindset is not on a 4v1 asymmetrical horror game, but a 1v1+1+1+1.

Survivors believe they should be able to contest, deal with and overcome the killer on an individual basis, no teamwork necessary.

@DeadByMoonlight if your team got sacrificed before the exit gates were opened, you lose.

Getting to the hatch first is your one last hope to survive, if you fail at this, you will most likely die; as you should.

Get over it and move on to the next game.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

You're halfways right. The survivor mindset IS that it is indeed a team or group game (only 50% pure 4 random trials )

"All 4 must escape" "blind altruism" "nothing wrong with swf and cwf although it wrecks the balance".

But then they want the safety net (or horrendous imbalance factor) of being strong enough to solo the killer when they fail as a team.

Those people want the advantages associated with of both types of gameplay.

• 4 randoms need to be mechanically stronger (game mechanics)
    • A team that gets coordination and communication.

Currently theyre having both and it's showing

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    edited August 2019
    Options

@Peanits

when the gates spawn right next to each other. When the hatch spawns RIGHT in front of a gate, I ask myself why even bother at that point?

As a killer I find it a bit silly. So I often let the survivor open the gate because it is beyond unfair at times.

As a survivor I find that no amount of luck is going to give enough time to open one of two gates which are virtually so close to each other.

Dont get me wrong I appreciate the EGC, but this is the piece (gates distance + hatch spawn) I think you guys should revisit.

Post edited by Johnny_XMan on
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,947
    Options

It's actually a hopeless mechanic for the Survivor. The Killers hand is held throughout the entire process, they permanently see the aura of both exit gates and can see the progress invested in those Gates. There's also no incentive for the killer to seek you out, all they have to do is Patrol the two exit gates and when they see the red light they know you're doomed. At that point they just need to protect that one exit because there's not enough time for you to open the other. Would it be asking for too much for the killer to have to memorize the two locations like survivors do?