Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Adopt a numerical MMR over the broken emblem system

The current pip/emblem system is broken in many ways. In short, players in similar ranks have a lot of variations in skill and understanding of the game. Survivor can climb to red ranks just by playing the game a lot, and not necessarily reaching the skill set at the highest level. On the other hand, killers can only gain ranks by playing in a way that the emblem system intends them to, and not necessarily in the most effective and efficient way to kill all 4 survivors.

The current emblem system does not do a good job of mapping objectives to emblems. Since DBD is asymmetrical, there isn't a clear cut to one side "winning" or "losing". In a game, a survivor can die but still had carried their team; escape but had done very little in contributing to the team. Conversely, killers can have a very short game with all 4 survivors killed and de-pip, and a very long game where 2 survivors escaped and pip.

A numerical MMR system has several advantages over the current emblem system. Firstly, not all players need to gain/lose by the same amount of MMR. Some survivors can gain MMR while some can lose them in a single game. Secondly, by getting rid of the 4 emblems, the effectiveness of each side can be tracked by metrics that are better defined. For example, if two survivors managed to escape but one of them barely did anything all game, then these two survivors would have different MMR gain after the game.

These metrics could be refined more but I just wanted to throw this idea out there.

Comments

• Zuphest
    Zuphest Member Posts: 18

How do you implement MMR when there isn't a clear cut to one side "winning" or "losing"?

The emblem system is there so players get scored in each of the different categories, whether the current scoring is good is another story.

Even in your suggested MMR system, it still boils down to how do you quantify how much a player has done? If they can get that part right, then it doesn't matter if it's emblem or MMR.

• slimeslime
    slimeslime Member Posts: 41

MMR basically means a player's effectiveness, and is quantified as such. I touched on this topic in my OP when I said two survivors escaping could earn different amounts of MMR. someone that does a lot of gens, gets a lot of unhooks/heals, be chased for a long time, won a lot of chases earns more MMR than someone who did little gens, crouched for a long time, and barely did anything in terms of gens or altruism actions

the point is that the categories for the current emblem system is atrocious, hence the MMR idea