DbD lost its scare factor

I remember over a year ago, when I first launched dead by daylight and went into a survivor game.

I was crouching the whole map, trying to not make any sound, move grass, run, or anything that would make the killer put their eyes on me.

The first killer I faced was the wraith, I still remember playing on autohaven and hearing his bell on the distance, everytime I did I stood still nervous looking everywhere for a whole minute. I was legit scared and sometimes I ended up DCing because it was too much for me.

I really miss this, now every time I play as a survivor I just run to a gen and lay back on my chair until the a chase begins, no matter the killer I dont ever feel "scared", i think that is something you leave behind while leaving rank 20.

I know a lot of you will feel related to this, so... Is there a way to make a rank 1 survivor scared again? I doubt so.

Maybe... Making killers strong, like, ######### strong. That people the last thing they want is to be seen by them. Where OoO is an "I want to die" perk.

And maybe even a penalty for losing, so people are actually scared to die.

Darker maps and lots of mist can help too.

Obviously, the things I suggested i dont expect them - nor I want to - to be added, is just something that I think can make the survivor gameplay stressing and scary and not the other way around.

Does anyone else has any idea to make survivor gameplay scary again?

Comments

• xChrisx
    xChrisx Member Posts: 917

Dont u get scared when grabbed by a prayer beads spirit? :D

• Galklife
    Galklife Member Posts: 726

i have question, wouldnt it be weird to be scared of the same game over and over again? even tho you learned much more about the game (well jumpscares are always scary but its sth different)

when you started playing i bet you didnt know what to do, and you were in panic running away from killer, after X hours you learned how to fight back

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

I would like it if they made the maps darker and more atmospheric, making stealth a more viable option than it is now. But the fact is that nothing is scary once you get used to it, because the unknown is such a crucial part of creating that fear in a piece of horror media.

• SaintDenisSlasher
    SaintDenisSlasher Member Posts: 227

I think the game will always be balanced in favor of the majority of players (survivors) which is dumb and sad and i don't get why people who just play survivor to win even enjoy it but what can you do

Also love the thought of people DCing because they got too scared lol. This is what im going to assume is happening every time now

• beatddb
    beatddb Member Posts: 565

I was thinking of that too. The music is a really important factor that I think its not getting exploited by devs as much as it should.

That sound it plays when a killer moves after being still for some time always gets me.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

they should intensify the chase music and terror radiuses

• MegaGamer_01
    MegaGamer_01 Member Posts: 172

There's a youtuber who makes custom chase music for the devs to pick up when they want but it hasn't been used yet (Mr Envy is his name). He's made a hag, huntress, nurse, billy and wraith custom music and his best is definitely billy.

• THEghostface
    THEghostface Member Posts: 296

Tbh, the stealth killers are the only ones to bring the scare element to the table until they up the fear factor somehow.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,089

This happens with every game. Play a Horror game which was terrifying for you like 5 times in a row, you will not be scared.

I mean, Amnesia - The Dark Descent was REALLY scary at first. Later you only try to glitch out the monsters instead of running away from them.

Darker Maps would help tho. The Maps dont look dark at all. But yeah, it needs to be easy for Killers to see people I guess...

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,164

They could have the maps darker for survivors and brighter for killers. That's what Battlefront II does for their "horror" mode: the victims need flashlights to see anything while the hunters have great night vision.

Most of the DbD maps are bright as daylight. It really doesn't try much in terms of "horror." Other than using killers from slashers and a few of the mori animations, there's very little in the game that has an actual horror feel to it.

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059

Well there is no real way to bring back this horror feeling. Sure you could make the chase music scarier and the heart beat more intense but soon enough you will grow numb to it. It's like watching a movie over and over again. Soon enough you'll grown bored of it and it will no longer scare because you know what can happen and you know what to do.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,089

I would darker them for everybody. And if that is not enough, maybe make the Red Stain visible for Killers? Like a Flashlight.

• Bloodwidow
    Bloodwidow Member Posts: 190

I'm totally scared if something suddenly appears on the screen. Lately i was scared of a pallet I didn't saw as killer.😓

• leno
    leno Member Posts: 53

I had the exact same experience as you, autohaven + wraith and I didn't understand what was happening. Funny as hell. This is my first post here and I logged in just to throw a few ideas here.

I think the best scares are when you don't know what's happening or what's going to happen. One simple idea could be that killers can hide in lockers. Survivors would get stunned for short period of time when they catch you off guard (stun radius when getting out of locker) and maybe survivors could "freeze" to make it worthwhile for killers doing this.. maybe insta grab or heavy hit inflicting broken status or something else.

Another simple idea might be that occasionally when you get hit by killer you lose your eyesight, like getting blurred vision. This effect could be just very slight varying to basically going blind 100%. randomness that makes it exciting. And adding to this effect when you're downed you lose your consciousness and you get black screen until you're hooked or healed. Maybe during this period there could be very random "bad dream" including your chararacter so you don't get bored watching just black screen.

The luck pouches could effect RNG of these situations as now they're basically useless.

One wilder idea would be that when some conditions are met one single generator could explode so it can't be repaired anymore. maybe exploding during repairs so it could even injure you randomly, maybe even kill you but it would need to be very rare but just to give players some feeling of danger. There is a lots of possibilities here and I don't want to make it too easy for killers but I feel some spicing up is needed here. Few conditions for this could be that all survivors or at least 3 are still alive + 1 or 2 generators left to power exit gates. luck pouches could effect this as well.

I would also like some kind of "burning" status added which you could get by repairing a generator when something goes wrong.. because most of the time repairing is quite dull as a survivor. In this case you would need to extinquish yourself somehow.. I would like to see a fire extinquisher in this game and molotov killer :)

Most of all I would like to have some diversity in gameplay.

• Killmaster
    Killmaster Member Posts: 429

The game lost it's thematic art-style over the years in favor of competitive balance "blendettes" and has received numerous graphical downgrades for performance boost on consoles. All you need to do is look at gameplay from 2016-17, the games atmosphere is so much better looking.

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052

More ambience would go a long way really though, there isn't a lot you can do to scare people who have been playing for over a year.

• SafetyOff
    SafetyOff Member Posts: 68

You've been exposed to the stimuli too many times for it to effect you.

This is why people yearn for that "first time" feeling because it truly is unique and how you react to situations.

Also the fear of the unknown gave it that horror feel which when you're rank 1 you know every killer and every trick.

DbD devs asked about whether the game is scary or not in their recent survey and I said no just so that they try to make it more scarier because it is possible to do that. If you want to get a horror fix try some other horror online games on Steam, DbD is more of a competitive game for you at this point.

PS: Maybe the game would lend itself to be more scary if players playing as the killer couldn't seem "human" like let players escape, Tbag, troll, etc. But no idea how that would be controlled. Maybe incentivize hugely killing everyone with massive blood points reward?