We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

What brought you to Dbd?

Comments

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

My buddy recommended it to me, got stomped by a 4 man (3 red ranks) SWF of Claudette's with flashlights on my first game, took a break, came back and I haven't left since.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

Random ass tweet by someone I don't remember the name saying something that I don't remember.

He/she said dbd on the tweet, I asked "what's dbd?" They answered "a game". (Yes, that vague)

I wanted the name, so I googled it and found that ohmwrecker plays it. Which is someone I used to watch a bunch on youtube.

Then I checked the psn to see the price, since the half a video I watched looked interesting.

Then I found out I had the game from ps+ (from what I understand, it was free there over a year before)

So I downloaded it, and potatoed like no man has potatoed before for a while.

And now, quite like allmight, I am here.

• The_Meh_Teh
    The_Meh_Teh Member Posts: 136

Freddy Kruger brought me here.

That and I mostly play survival horror games.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

I watched Vanoss play when it was early into the game, I loved Michael Myers, combination of the both dragged me into the game.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited December 2019

I always liked the concept of it, but I could never get into it.

I came back because they added demogorgon and literally no other reason has made me stay.

Devs if you are reading this, more killers with addons that are fun like Myers, and actually interesting like Demogorgon and I'll stay and spend all the money.

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520

I still watch him from time to time, but I have mostly switch over to english lets players (like Oxhorn as example even he makes no videos about dbd), or his girlfriend Pandorya because she plays also a lot of horror games.

But nice, that someone still remembers the hwsq dbd episodes :).

I need to admit -I still play also sometimes like them a bit, if I got not "distracted" by dailies, or the new archive missions, or if I am not in a bad mood.

What I mean is, I play more for fun and less for the win if I got not distracted by the things above and also very often - let someone go.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

@Talmeer

Fair enough :D

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Watched simon from the sidemen play it a few years ago. Really got into the game but assumed it was only on pc. One day I looked on ps4 and there it was.

It's funny looking back at him and realising how bad at the game he was then lol

• lynelmane
    lynelmane Member Posts: 549

A few months ago I was looking for a new game to play with my only online friend, and i was looking through the games he has. I saw DBD and i'd heard the name before but didn't know what it was about. He has 1000+ hours on it, so I thought why not and bought it.

He played a few games with me, teaching me how to do stuff and i've been "hooked" ever since haha.

So addicted in fact, that I got to 500 hours within 2 months :)

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,140

Roommate told me to check it out during the Halloween 2018 event. I got it on sale, played the rest of the day, and bought every DLC the following day. Hopelessly hooked ever since.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    edited December 2019

Was playing Friday the 13th the Game and heard about Dead by Daylight. With how long it took to get into a game in Friday the 13th, the fact that you have to wait for the match to finish no matter how early you die/escape, and the fact that running no-fear Baseball Bat Jenny and "anti-Jason" Chad (anyone who's played it knows what I'm talking about) was getting boring I decided to check it out. This was over a year ago now.

• Animalheadskull
    Animalheadskull Member Posts: 478

I used to be a f13 player. Watched YouTube videos about f13, then a few of those people played dbd also. I thought it looked really fun chasing as a killer. With all the pallet breaking and throwing hatchets and chainsaws. Bought the game on ps4 1 week after pig release and haven't looked back.

• SilentSpectre
    SilentSpectre Member Posts: 830

My friend bought it for me, and insisted I play with him.

• Viracocha72
    Viracocha72 Member Posts: 207

Reddit did actually. I kept seeing posts from the sub in all and I confused the name with Dying Light which I had played years ago but didn't really like. Eventually I wondered why people were always posting about a game I hadn't liked so I decided to check it out. Came to realize it was a completely different game that I had never heard of before and sounded absolutely amazing. I bought the game that day. That was three months ago and have played every day since.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Being a great horror fan, the concept was amazing for me

• BenZ0

@Sonzaishinai

Agree, dead by daylight is the best multiplayer horror game!

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 649

I was playing For Honour and found Tru3ta1ent on YouTube really getting into the game mechanics which helped me learn a lot.

Signed up to Twitch and started watching him and he also played this weird looking horror game called DbD.

Not didn't make much sense watching but his explanations while playing really got me interested, to the point I was watching someone play something I thought was PC only and I’d never get to play, like so many others.

A few days later a couple of friends mention that this multiplayer horror game was coming to PSN and they thought it looked like my sort of thing as I love horror games.

3 of us picked DbD up just before Huntress came to console for free; and we got around 5 or 6 more people to try the game too.

Unfortunately I'm the only one still playing, mainly due to the barrier to entry to unlock decent perks and the spiralling cost of content.

Every update I’m hoping something changes that will bring people back in.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

Yeah, don't I know it. :) I felt weird having worked at the company DbD was made at and not having tried it all that time (this was around July 2017). People had even told me it was really good and I just never got around to trying it. Wish I had; would have been interesting to watch over its live development. Seriously... what were 40-second gens, permanent hook sabotages and permanent NOED like?

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,017

Vanoss gaming of course

Wish he played it more

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

F13 turned into trash after their engine "upgrade".

• Almo

One of the For Honor designers is on our design team now. ;)

• BenZ0

@Almo

Oh thats nice to know!

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 817

Free key from Alienware Arena

"I'll just play it for the Steam trading cards", I said.

4k+ hours later...

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122
    edited December 2019

I first found it from some KYF videos that Jacksepticeye, Markiplier, Bob and Wade did (They're pretty dated now, about the time Doctor or Bubba came out?), I got the game but never really got into it. Fast forward 2 years, I'm sick and tilted after 600+ hours of being a support main in Overwatch at Gold/Plat ranks. I wanted to play PvP, but the kind where I don't rely on idiot teammates AND I can vent doing some pretty mean stuff to people. So a game where I'm a supernatural killer terrorizing people, and the most they can do is slow me down or annoy me with pallets or DS? Its Mori time 😈

EDIT: By mean stuff I mean Moris and doing Killer things to survivors, instead of healing needy Genjis and Pharahs. I want to see one of THEM spam "I need healing" to a Doctor or Nurse.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

payday 2

A community member gave me a beta key

and godamn did I hate dbd back then

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294

A friend offered it to me and another friend while I was looking for something to play. 3 of us tried it, but only I ended up playing it regularly.

• ArrowTheGreat11
    ArrowTheGreat11 Member Posts: 306

One of my favorite gamers played it a few times on YouTube. Then I saw it was free on PS4 and bought it.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

My friend recommended it to me and I was tired of shooting games.

• UrbanEvading
    UrbanEvading Member Posts: 35

I would watch people play it on YouTube. I did that so often, I finally caved in and bought the game for myself. I’m glad I did, because it’s become one of my favourites.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,282

I bought the game because of the Halloween Chapter DLC and only played The Shape for about 6 months. Occasionally played survivor but I really was just playing a Halloween game.

• Rareware0192
    Rareware0192 Member Posts: 360

I got into recently this October. Back in June, I had a friend who was into horror games like I am tell me about Dead by Daylight and how addicting the game is. I started thinking about maybe buying it and giving it a shot. A few months later I went to NYC with a friend and it’s tradition for us to stop by the Nintendo Store every time we go, and I saw it there for the Switch. I bought it but I still didn’t play it until October which is usually customary for me to play mostly just horror games that whole month.

I gave DBD a shot on the Switch in handheld mode, played through the tutorial and found that I enjoyed the game but wasn’t feeling the controls in handheld. Ended up playing it docked and quickly got into it.

Then at some point I learned that there are actually killers missing in the Switch version (Cannibal and Nightmare, and Quentin from the Survivors list) and ended up picking up the PS4 version. By then I had already played about 25 hours on the Switch so I knew what I was doing and grinded DBD nonstop that whole entire weekend. Needless to say I’ve been addicted to DBD a lot ever since then and even ended up buying all the killers and survivors, including the new Oni and Yui.

I enjoy this game a ton now and thank my friend for peaking my interest in it. :P

• Gplays2000
    Gplays2000 Member Posts: 154

My brother. He showed me the game and I rly liked the concept....noe I hate the 200+ Ping and 10 year queue times tho....if it weren't for this it would actually be a good game.

• StrodeWins
    StrodeWins Member Posts: 274

back a year ago me and my friend got tired of gta 5, and we found this amazing game that i wish we would’ve found sooner to be honest.

what a great game. i don’t think i’ll ever get tired of it.

• Nicaria70_
    Nicaria70_ Member Posts: 6

I knew about it when it was relased, but i didn't have a platform to run it, i started playing it on ps4 with the clown chapter and now on pc and im PROUD of the money i spent on it

Sry for bad english

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

I was watching people play "welcome to the game 2" on twitch, and they switched over to DBD afterwards, playing Pig on the game.

As a Saw fan I was pulled in instantly.

• camgaming_dbd
    camgaming_dbd Member Posts: 191

my friends that I grow up with told me about it. and they don't play anymore it's fortnite GTA 5 for em :(

• ImKateDenson
    ImKateDenson Member Posts: 33

Kate Denson ❤️

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984

I was watching a youtube video of someone playing another game that I was thinking about getting. Coincidentally that person was playing with a DBD youtuber called HybridPanda. He seemed pretty funny, so I checked out his channel. Found 200 or so DBD videos, so I watched a couple. I didn't find the game that interesting at the time, but his commentary was so funny that I kept watching more and more videos. 6 months later I think I'd seen about 150 videos of a guy playing a game I was not even interested in. Randomly on a chill weekend that I was planing to spend at home I decided I wanted to try a new game and bought DBD. To my surprise I got hooked instantly. This was last October, so my first experience playing the game was the hallowed blight event.

• ASAPTurtle
    ASAPTurtle Member Posts: 968
    edited December 2019

I used to be extremely biased towards F13 against DBD, back around 2017. I used to think DBD was a terrible. Until F13 died down I had no horror game that interested me. Until at the start of 2018 a YouTube, HybridPanda got me hooked to this game, and introduces me to how this game really was. I didnt own a PC at the time so I played it on console for a month.

When my PS4 had a incident and basically wiped out all of my game progress (Besides the online ones) I didn't feel like starting over so I gave DBD and gave it another chance, and here I am now.

• MrVecetti
    MrVecetti Member Posts: 41

StacyKrugger streams this game a lot. Watching him have as much fun as he has made me give it a try

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,017
  • Nunya_Nunyabiz
    Nunya_Nunyabiz Member Posts: 30

I hope this isn't too late... I was watching a lot of horror games and some youtubers got recommended to me (monto, demi, and noob3)

Then what solidified the deal we're the horror icons but the one that made me buy it was the pig I just HAD to play her

And though she feels gimmicky and sometimes really weak, shes still my favorite, this is a great game and I enjoy playing it, though I like watching it more.

• TheRoyalOwl
    TheRoyalOwl Member Posts: 749

I found the game after the Vanoss crew played it when dbd released Micheal.

But the first time I actually played the game was in April this year, I game shared with one of my friends and they had the game.

• Almo

Pig is not weak. She's got a pretty high kill rate even in red ranks. :)

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

@KiraElijah brought me to dbd

• KiraElijah
    KiraElijah Member Posts: 1,187
    edited December 2019

@GrootDude yep sure did,and I brought you to the forums

• The_Second_Coming
    The_Second_Coming Member Posts: 1,110

Miguel.

• LemeTheMeme
    LemeTheMeme Member Posts: 403

It all started with F13: The Game.

I met a lot of people on there and they also played DbD. Naturally I joined them with it! I started palying between the releases of Huntress and Leatherface.

Funny how a competing game brought a lot of new players to DbD 🤔

• Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640

I didn't even know Dead by Daylight existed until my friend gifted it to me at launch. I physically have trouble using Keyboard and Mouse for playing most games, but it had controller support for someone like me. It was super scary and I loved it as survivor. When I got into killer, it was also a blast, until I got higher in ranks and went up against the old exploits (infinites, etc).

I still love DbD and hope it eventually reaches a point where it's better balanced. The fun is often countered by the frustrating aspects that still plague it, but I play it still because deep down there's a really good game in here that we all enjoy and keep coming back to.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

I found it through Achievement Hunter, and joined when clown was released. What drew me in was the promise of being a powerful killer hunting survivors through the woods... but then I joined and found it very different when I got higher in rank.

Then Legion came out and I like being a stabby little angsty teen running through the woods...