What is a perk that you find overrated? And underrated?

Options

I find whispers pretty overrated, i know it's not meta or anything but i do hear a lot of people using or sometimes needing it

Personly it usefully at the very start of the match and then is just constantly on

Underrated i would say alert, it gives you so much information i love it

Comments

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,801
    Options

distortion is pretty underrated you know the guy has nurses calling and you have self care simply Tap the heal button and dip

• humanbeing1704
    Options

Also poised with adreanline is so underrated literally 5 seconds of stealth sprint

• Brucecastro81
    Brucecastro81 Member Posts: 1,609
    Options

Overrated: Self-care and Spirit fury; cuz healing takes 1 year, and I find spirit fury too situational

Underrated: Plunder's istinct and Fire up; with Plunder's you can find a key very often and escape easily (keys are bullshit but not talking about it), and Fire up cuz it increases speed for everything

• Cornpopers_Evan
    Cornpopers_Evan Member Posts: 2,428
    Options

Overrated: To me, is MYC, never really cared for that perk personally.

Underrated: I've always had a soft spot for Dark Sense, especially now since it got buffed.

• Brucecastro81
    Brucecastro81 Member Posts: 1,609
    edited December 2019
    Options

What's MYC? Nevermind, just realised that's Make your choice

• OldManGloom
    OldManGloom Member Posts: 51
    Options

I started running Distortion a few weeks ago and it's been so useful in helping determine so many perks the Killer might be running and giving me the opportunity to adjust my gameplay to compensate. I've only had one game where it literally ran out before two minutes in and I was baffled.

• humanbeing1704
    Options

Half of the time I don't even how it runs out and then it turns out they have bitter murmur hehe

• Cornpopers_Evan
    Cornpopers_Evan Member Posts: 2,428
    edited December 2019
    Options

Make your choice, damn, just saw the edit, oops, sorry

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719
    Options

Those are 2 situational perks. We'll make it only triggers off of unhooks. And you'd be unhooking to heal yourself to half and heal the other person. You are throwing the game if the killer goes back to hook. I tried to run solidarity for 1 week. And in all that time I found it useful in 1 in 10 games. It encourages plays that are straight up suicidal.

• OldManGloom
    OldManGloom Member Posts: 51
    Options

Yup! I think they had BM, BBQ, and maybe IAE but my counter hemorrhaged in the blink of an eye. I made my peace with being meat on the hook that match.

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,547
    Options

Survivor:

Overrated: Exhaustion perks. I don’t run any, and it’s made me a more careful player, which seems to wind up working in my favor. You don’t need them and they all reward failure, in one way or another, so they all become crutch perks.

Underrated: Plunderer’s Instinct. Gives really useful things almost every time, I’m surprised how seldom I see it.

killer:

overrated: ruin. Removable and top survivors fight through it so well you’d think it was destroyed (I’ve had to check my perks before running it because gens are flying with it up)

Underrated: surge. Saves time from kicking a gen + an automatic ruin good skill check regression. Pairs well with surveillance too to help patrol patterns.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278
    Options

I'll say a Killer perk and Survivor perk for both.

Overrated:

Hex: Ruin: It feels like a cheesy win to me, like I'm playing under a handy cap.

Adrenaline: Super situational in the idea that it only benefits you once in the game.

Underrated:

Corrupt Intervention: Life saver, 'nuff said.

Inner Strength: Perfect, love this perk, I get 1,000 BP for breaking totems and aren't heal dependent, I only have to wait 8 seconds to heal in a locker, the Killer won't find me healing if they don't see me sneak into a locker.

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719
    Options

Overrated: Any means necessary. The only pallet worth resetting is a god pallet. And I've never seen a killer leave a god pallet unbroken.

Underrated: Open handed: This perk with bond or kindred is good. If 2 people are running it, it's amazing. It has diminishing returns after 2

• Gravewalker200
    Gravewalker200 Member Posts: 451
    Options

I just use a perk randomizer that i downloaded on my phone.

• BeanieBoyBob
    BeanieBoyBob Member Posts: 354
    Options

Overrated: Self-Care. Thanks to you guys who ruin our chances of winning because you heal yourselves for 10 years!

Underrated: Any form of aura reading perk that tells you where the Killer is outside of Kindred (e.g. Dark Sense, Alert, etc). Knowledge is power friends!

• FondaDix
    FondaDix Member Posts: 173
    Options

I know right? Inner strength is so good. It really should put self care in the ground.

• OMagic_ManO
    Options

No one brings that perk nor does totems so free 5 or 4 heals for me. :)

• BeanieBoyBob
    Options

The only reason I never bring it is so that if teammates decide to start doing bones, then I'll have no way to recover myself. It happened quite frequently to me, so I just had to stop using it - as amazing as the perk is if you can use it.

• OMagic_ManO
    Options

I'll tell you what man, there was a lot of hype over that perk when it was freshly new, not much people do totems over healing, unhooking, gens and even gasp sabotage.

I've been much more free to use that perk now that the Oni is out with Yui, everything's all good now.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

Whispers is underrated imo. I can't play killer without it. Nurse's is overrated, the range is terrible and having ears means you won't need it.

• kate_main
    kate_main Member Posts: 178
    Options

I love solidarity!

But I switched to Second Wind uwu

• kate_main
    kate_main Member Posts: 178
    Options

Alert is great; it tells you soooo much information especially if you wanna play stealthy ;3

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768
    Options

Overrated: Spirit Fury, Dying Light, Adrenaline

Underrated: Nemesis, PWYF, Spine Chill

• Valiant_Majesty
    Valiant_Majesty Member Posts: 39
    Options

As far as Survivor Perks go...

Overrated - Self Care. Ever been in a match where your three Claudette teammates constantly Self Care in corners against a Killer with Sloppy Butcher while you're on a hook? 😐 Then you know how painful it is.

Underrated - Kindred, Distortion, Spine Chill, and Alert. I find them so useful to have in my builds, especially since I play a hefty amount of solo Survivor.

As for Killer perks...

Overrated - Ruin. Like... I know everyone is gonna say "It slows the game down!! You're just stupid!!" It does.... WHEN it works, but it can get cleansed in seconds. It's too much of a variable to be truly reliable, in my opinion.

Underrated - I'm All Ears, Dark Devotion, and Play With Your Food. You can make all kinds of interesting plays with these perks, and they're a lot of fun to use if you can make them work for you 😄

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

Overrated: Iron Will, this perk isn’t bad but it isn’t that great imo.

Underrated: Self-care is starting to become underrated, as long as you know when and when not to use it, that extra health state is nice. It is also just as efficient as someone else healing you.

• Hag.is.Dtier
    Hag.is.Dtier Member Posts: 1,398
    edited December 2019
    Options

Survivor:

Overrated: Self care, ######### whoever brings this time waster!

Underrated: We'll make it, this perk should be used over Self Care all the time. Fast heals that ruin Tru3face and Wriath are always fun as survivor.

Killer:

Overrated: Ruin, theirs better perks to slow the game now and it can be cleansed in the first 15 seconds of the match.

Underrated: Whispers, makes the map easier to patrol and great to plan ambushes as stealth killers.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options
  • Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

As someone that likes to try stuff out

Seeing all these underrated perks and their uses makes me want to experiment

• TicTokCringe
    TicTokCringe Member Posts: 39
    Options

To me I think decisive strike is overrated because you can easily slug someone or not tunnel or Bond because you can see when someone is coming to sandbag. I feel perks like beast of pray are underrated. I think perks like those need a buff.

• TicTokCringe
    TicTokCringe Member Posts: 39
    Options

Please tell me why everytime I run pounders tier 3 btw and I get a brown med kit or a damn brown toolbox

• Sonzaishinai
    Options

When the game decides that it wants to mess with you : p

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928
    Options

Overrated: Adrenaline, I never use it nor feel I really need it.

Underrated: We'll make it. Hardly see anyone using it. It can be a life saver and also doesn't make you waste too much time.

• Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828
    Options

Thanataphobia

4% of 80 seconds for a gen is a whopping extra 3.2 seconds per person injured.. inconsequential.

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

Disocordance is really overrated. I legit saw another match where it did literally nothing.

Corrupt Intervention is also overrated. Depending of the blocked gens spawn it can hinder you and help the survivors instead by avoiding a 3 gen strat. People compare it with Ruin, but there is honestly nothing to compare, this perk hardly slows down the game at all.

Surveillance is underrated, it's probably a better tracking perk than Barbecue and Chilli. Really good on mobility and stealth killers and you can't really counter it. Also, the Surveillance + Surge combo makes Surge not that awful ( but it still needs a buff ).

Infectious Fright doesn't seem to be used as much as it should be, but I think people acknowledged how strong this perk is, especially on certain killers. And Haunted Ground can be really dirty too, but it's kinda situational.

• feechima
    feechima Member Posts: 896
    Options

Overrated: Self-care I think that's been covered about 10 times already.

Underrated: Detective's Hunch Maybe I have a bias maining Tapp but I have saved my team several times from NOED or Devour with this perk. I don't even run around looking for hex ruin. I just power through a gen and look around. It also helps finding chests, and stopping the three gen strat before it starts. Also pairs well with Inner Strength.

Underrated: Empathy: Tells you the information of Better Together, Bond, Alert, and Object of Obsession so as long as your teammate is injured while doing a gen or running from the killer. You know where to go if you have a healing build or you can see what gen they were chased off of so you can finish it or join them if they are not in chase.

• BeanieBoyBob
    Options

Might have to give it a spin if that's the case. However, if it does start to get switched in by the people running Self Care then I'll likely take it off.

I really do like Inner Strength, it's just the fear of having no bones to do leaving you exposed lol.

• pemberley
    pemberley Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

Overrated Survivor Perk: Adrenaline. I don’t know, I feel like it’s overkill and kind of toxic for killers most of the time and very rarely comes in clutch.

Underrated Survivor Perks: Lightweight, Plunderers, Empathy, Better Together, Stake Out, Poised, Kindred, Distortion, Botany

Overrated Killer Perks: Ruin - it goes down too early, very rng based, and good survivors just ignore it...honestly it’s scaredy-cat survivors who give it so much power. Discordance too - survivors tend to catch on you have it and it becomes null and void a lot faster than Surveillance.

Underrated Killer Perks: I’m All Ears, Lightborn, Brutal Strength, Bloodhound

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

STBFL is overrated. You recover faster from a hit which can be nice, but it's only going to make a difference in a chase once you get 6 or more tokens. And the fact you have to outright refuse to hit the obsession makes it worse.

Prove Thyself is overrated. With 2 survivors on a gen, no other buffs/debuffs, you save 4 seconds. That's it. All it does is cancel out the very minor debuff you get when you work on a gen with another survivor.

Thanatophobia is very underrated. It only started to become more popular after TrueTalent started using it in his GF and now Wraith builds. But I've been proclaiming the effectiveness of Sloppy/Thana combo for a long time now. Over a year at least. Before the devs updated Thana. It's just really really strong, especially on killers where you can spread damage quickly. I use this combo on Spirit instead of Ruin and it is IMO way better than Ruin, though requires you to actually do stuff before it takes effect.

Spine Chill is underrated. This perk gives you so much information it's crazy. It hard counters pretty much every stealth killer. It helps you to juke Nurse and Spirit. It can tell you when a killer has certain aura perks/add-ons. It let's you know if the killer is headed to the gen you are on or just walking around. It's so useful in almost every situation and it's very difficult to play around as killer.

• GrootDude
    Options

Spine chill isn’t really underrated anymore, a lot of people use it and find it very useful.

• thesuicidefox
    edited December 2019
    Options

The thing is if you run it with Sloppy you put survivors in a catch 22.

Spend ages healing and never do gens.

Or do gens slower and stay injured all game.

If they refuse to heal it means 4 injured survivors pretty much all the time, which is an extra 15 seconds on the gens (80/0.84=95.2, because we are dealing with a scaling percent it's not just 3.2 seconds per survivor). When literally 2 seconds can make the difference between finishing the gen and not finishing it, that's a big deal. The reason you aren't finding value in Thana is because you're not injuring survivors enough. If you are the type to find a survivor and chase them until you catch them, Thana is not good. You need to have 2 or more injured at all times, hence why it works best with Sloppy or on killers like Legion/Plague that discourage survivors from healing in the first place. Spread the damage and use Sloppy, you will see how strong this perk actually is.

• thesuicidefox
    Options

What I mean is that it is easily top 5 perks in the game. But most people wouldn't rate it that high. They claim it has no use against non-stealth killers which is false. It has use against everyone in almost every situation. A good example is Doc. If you are in Madness 2 and he has Calm add-ons, you can use Spine Chill to determine if it's a fake heartbeat or not.

It's more that people don't want to acknowledge it's true potential that makes it underrated.

• GrootDude
    Options
  • liviu1911
    liviu1911 Member Posts: 150
    Options

overrated : ruin (for killer ) and self care(survivor)

underrated: mehh all other perks lol :D

• BabyCameron10
    BabyCameron10 Member Posts: 949
    Options

Overrated: Ruin, it’s a 50/50 if it’s going to do it’s job and players count on it to last a while but it doesn’t. Adrenaline, it’s good but better off using something else or bring a med kit

underrated: Corrupt Intervention,it is a guaranteed ruin for 2 minutes, this plus PGTW is a whole lot better than ruin and Stake out (hate going against ruin, this it the perk for you)

• Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828
    Options

by the time you find and injure all 4 survivors you've probably lost a gen or two.. hit someone 2 times and get a 25% regression w/Pop or find everyone and make 4 hits for 16%, which 1 or 2 people can heal themselves by the time you catch and down the 4th person. It's a placebo perk

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

Oh, I forgot to add the survivors perks :

Overrated : Spine Chill, easily. And I still see too many people running Self Care, so I think people start to overrate it again.

Underrated : Detective's Hunch is really nice now, literally kills every Hex totem and is very good in combo with Inner Stenght.

• Sonzaishinai
    Options

It depends on the killer tbh

Killers who can injure people easilly like stealth killer or Legion/Plague can really make thana work imo

Also people who see that red bar also have the instinct to heal wich only makes it waste more time

Since the buff it's a lot stronger