Feedback | Disconnect Penalty Test

Options

As of December 17th, 11 AM ET, we have enabled the new disconnect penalty test. This new system punishes players for disconnecting excessively with an escalating timeout before they can queue again.

If you have any feedback for this test, please be sure leave it below.

Additionally, if you experience any issues with this test (e.g. Skipping straight to a longer penalty after one disconnect), please let us know roughly when it happened. Someone from BHVR will contact you through a private message in order to investigate further.

Thanks!

Comments

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

What's the intended escalation formula intended to be btw?

• Gay Myers (Luzi)
    Gay Myers (Luzi) Member Posts: 4,427
    edited December 2019
    Options

The ban times are variable and subject to tuning. Anything we would tell you may become out-of-date during the course of our test, should we decided to alter the ban times. As long as you don't quit a bunch of games, you don't need to worry about it.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Honestly the fact that I almost never quit is why I'm even bothering to ask.

Otherwise I'd just find out when it comes up. But since I'm not expecting it to come up the only way for me to find out would be to ask someone else. And who better to ask than a community manager?

• Kenidur
    Kenidur Member Posts: 156
    Options

You have some serious bugs to fix for this. I just got into a match where I couldn't run, Nothing like being forced to walk around with a killer chasing you. Get 3 feet before they down you, that's a joke and a half, I dropped a pallet on the killer and "ran" away. killer destroyed the pallet and downed me before I got past the connected wall. I'm not staying in a match like that, nor should you punish anyone who quits a game because it's bugged out.

• hockeygoalie78
    hockeygoalie78 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I think in addition to disconnecting being punished, survivors should also be punished for killing themselves on the hook. I think it's great that this system has been implemented since a lot of survivors ruin games by disconnecting immediately after going down or if they don't like the killer; however, I have seen a lot of survivors deliberately run into the killer early and then kill themselves on the hook to avoid punishment. I would imagine this system could be implemented by considering it killing themselves on the hook if they wasted about 80+% of the meter on the hook (through attempting to escape and subsequently letting go early in the struggle phase).

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Favi_MPx
    Favi_MPx Member Posts: 41
    Options

nope, because when you press alt+f4 there's a pop up asking you if you really want to exit the match. so you have to press the "leave match" button in that case too.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,268
    Options

How long does it take for the DC penalties to reset? Is it daily? Like I'm not going to say I'm going to DC 5 times in a row but let's say it's just an unfortunate series of events. What happens then?

Like let's say my internet goes out in the morning, then twice in the afternoon and then finally it goes out at midnight. Am I perpetually in a timeout loop or how does it reset?

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,268
    edited December 2019
    Options

Even if people knew they could game the system more it would be better than what the current situation is. I get it though if BHVR doesn't want to say but I hope they've thought out everything from outages, game bugs and people being forced to DC through hostage situations.

Like realistically what is someone going to do? Knowing they have 3 DC's before the hour long penalties start kicking in? For someone who has the mindset that they want to DC and game the system 3 DC's daily is probably a lot less than they typically do.

imo this wouldn't be something to worry about if they added a reconnect option. Like yeah in some instances if you crash or DC it's going to pretty much end your game. However let's say you crash at the loading screen. Having the option to reconnect to that specific game would remove all excuses any player has because if their intention was to play they're going to reconnect.

Just my bias though I'm just not comfortable with this system without any quality of life benefits towards genuine players who don't abuse the system. Especially considering with just this patch and the last 5 patches I still get freezes when loading into a game.

Like I know a lot of people who just randomly have their game freeze up when loading into a trial and they have their game on an SSD just like myself. So I can't imagine what else it could be that isn't on DBD's end.

• Purr
    Purr Member Posts: 83
    Options

personaly if a survivor runs AT me to have me enable them to suicide on first hook.. i down them and move on

not gonna enable that kind of stuff in the first couple of mins

• hockeygoalie78
    hockeygoalie78 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Maybe I didn't phrase what I intended to say properly. I didn't mean that the killer should be punished or is at fault; I meant that the specific survivor should receive the same punishment as if they had simply disconnected (because killing themselves immediately still messes up the balance of the game and has the same negative effect as disconnecting in my opinion). Otherwise, survivors can bypass the disconnect punishment by killing themselves on the hook and the problem is likely to persist.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Alt tab and end task then, the point is it's very easy to get around it.

• boostedsurvivor
    boostedsurvivor Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello,

Started having internet connectivity issues while playing tonight :(

Had 2 DCs (not back to back) where it showed myself and the killer DC'd. Did not have a penalty. Shut down the game, validated files, refreshed my modem before trying to play again.

Played another match afterwards and my internet speed dropped low enough to cause a DC. This time, had a penalty of 3 min 30 seconds.

No, I don't plan on trying to play again until my internet stabilizes/is checked out 😂😫

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

Going off the data that @Toybasher posted above (that the queue ban apparently esalates at a rate of 1 minute / 5 minutes / 15 minutes / 1 hour / 6 hours):

I was in favour of game crashes and loss of connection incurring a DC penalty - mainly because as others have pointed out, it's too easy to just disconnect by shutting the game down or switching off your internet otherwise - but if that's going to be the case the penalties as they stand are way too harsh. I have personally been in a situation before where my internet was freaking out one evening and it took me several games of being disconnected halfway through to troubleshoot - I tried different things every game and the first few fixes I tried didn't work. If this system had been in place then, I wouldn't have been able to play at all that evening because I would have been banned from the queue for the next 6 hours.

I understand that the intention is to strongly discourage people from quitting in the middle of a match. However, while I personally am in favour of penalising anyone who disconnects regardless of the reason (because it shouldn't happen that often if it's accidental so it's not that big of a deal, and it prevents the system from being circumvented), I think that a much slower escalation like 1min/2min/3min/5min/10min/15min/20min/30min/45min/60min would be more appropriate under such circumstances. This would strike a better balance between punishing those that frequently disconnect on purpose and not punishing too harshly those who disconnect accidentally.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

Crashes happen a lot which is my main concern. Especially due to how buggy the game can be at some points. I am not in favor of crashes restricting you from the penalty either because you can have peeps that start ALT f4ing to the moon. So can we reduce the punishments a little bit? I find that the punishments are fine until we hit the 1 hour mark. Then it gets flippin extreme.

• DonZwiebel
    DonZwiebel Member Posts: 136
    Options

What about a DC in a Custom Game?

Lets say me and a friend try something out and instead of ending the game regulary we just quit because it doesnt matter to either of us. Does this count as well? Or is it just the regular online games that you get banned from? Can you have a custom game when you got a ban?

And I follow the opinions here that you should not be banned if your game crashes(especially when it comes up with the report crash screen!), for this happens way too often.

And yes it is easily possible to notice the difference between manually quitting an application or a game(ALT+F4/Leave Match via menu), loosing internet connection, or other issues like crashes, bluescreens, etc. As software developer I had to programm around such things often enough.

• FabV
    FabV Member Posts: 173
    Options

Why not just let yourself die ? At least you get some BPs, Rift progression and avoid DC penalty.

• Multiplenames
    Multiplenames Member Posts: 36
    Options

ehhh i mean you can't really detect that though, what if you're in a game where you know your only chance of escaping is to 4%, so you attempt it and realise theres no point in staying alive so you #########.... DCing is really the only sure thing to ban... which even then sometimes it isnt the players fault

• FabV
    FabV Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2019
    Options

Though devs need to address that problem, it can't be by restricitng the penalty to exit button, as the system would not penalize those who ragequit with cable pulling / hard closing.

If it was this simple, they just would remove the exit button -> problem solved. I mean why implement a button and punish its use ?

• Multiplenames
    Options

When are DC bans going to be reset?

I'll keep it brief, but i heard that the bans are going to be reset every rank reset (E.G if you DC upto a ban of 60 mins, if you want to avoid being banned for 120 mins/ whatever the next interval is, when does that reset so that if you were to DC again it would go back to the starting 1 min.)

I think that having it at rank reset is an extremely irritating suggestion, with the game in its buggiest form i've EVER seen (literally can't go more than 3 games without a game breaking bug, and the game lately has been the laggiest piece of [BAD WORD] i've ever seen (no it's not just my connection, i talk to people i play with after every game and they agree it's always laggy af in oceanic servers rn), I was hoping to hear 'the bans will be reset every few days/ week', but due to what im assuming is a mostly European/ American playerbase, it will most likely be in their ballpark for what they deem as fair.

TL:DR I'm all for the penalty of DCING, so long as it's more of a 'no you've dc'd, take a break mate' instead of a 'whats that? you dc'd 6 times in the past month? Nah mate sorry but all those hours you've put in this game, yeah they're gone, [BAD WORD] off'

• siren_sorceress
    siren_sorceress Member Posts: 321
    Options

Theres no way it lasts til rank reset. Yeah you cant last an hr or 2 without crashing. Besides the test is only for a few days?

• Fibijean
    edited December 2019
    Options

It doesn't last until rank reset, don't worry. I already cleared this up with Multiplenames in a similar post they made, but the devs stated when the system was first announced that "The length of the timer gradually decreases so long as the player does not disconnect from additional matches."

• varik
    varik Member Posts: 1
    Options

since this has been implemented i have been DCd three times out of 5 games. first game was with wraith.. after about 30 - 45 sec into game right after i found 1st survivor and blocked her in a corner on a gen. (no penalty) 2nd game happend during loading screen (someone has disconnected from the game) had i think a 30 sec penalty before i could do another game. and i just had a 3rd one while trying to do my survivor daily on Claudette trying to unhook people safely.. anyway it said that the daily was complete - 3/3 safe unhooks... but my archive did not update at all.. and it was not just me who apparently disconnected it was also the killer. and get tagged with somethin like a 3:30 - 4min time out...

i mean i'm all for punishing those that abuse the system and DC from games... (though they punish themselves by not stickin around to get the BP (guess some people don't need them) ) But there was absolutly nothing that i did to DC from the games.

• Multiplenames
    Options

You should be fine, custom games don't (shouldn't) count, as items/ perks/ BP earned in there don't go towards your regular gameplay, so i dont see why the ban would affect it.

also lose not loose eck dee

• bendermac
    bendermac Member Posts: 772
    Options

Sure, so people who don't like moris and/or killer's map offerings can DC for free.

NO!

• uforce
    uforce Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2019
    Options

You cant force ppl to play a match which is wasting their time for whatever reason. Not everyone disconnects for no reason. This system isnt fixing the issue. The targets it aims for will just go other ways. Die early on hook, go afk, or even play against other teammates to ruin their match.

This way it wont solve anything.

Also just remove the leave game button, since its only use is to get banned ;-)

Maybe instead BHVR should work out good working AI buddies to take over at least to save the match.

• iamzammm
    iamzammm Member Posts: 18
    Options

My game crashed, and now I need to wait 15 minutes before I can matchmake. You might want to fix this quickly, seeing as this "game" crashes at least twice a day for me and I don't fancy getting a penalty each time. How you haven't done it so that it recognises crashes from DC's is frankly beyond me but I don't even know why I expect anything from you any more.

• justaSpirit_phase
    justaSpirit_phase Member Posts: 142
    Options

I don’t think you should get the penalty if your Wi-Fi goes out

• Fibijean
    Options

You should, because otherwise people will turn off their internet to disconnect from the game (I've seen it done in the past instead of disconnecting, because you used to be able to keep your item if your connection went out).

They have to punish for all instances of disconnecting in order for the system to be at all effective, but in my opinion the punishments should escalate more slowly than they currently do in order to compensate for the relative frequency of disconnects due to game crashes or net issues.

• symptom101
    symptom101 Member Posts: 81
    Options

This system isn't working correctly, I personally crashed twice and one infinite loading screen, 3 bans that were not supposed to occur. Way to make people stop playing all together. if only your internet hiccups and you get kicked out of the game, you get banned. Please deactivate this trash until it is fixed.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

I think not punishing the innocent is more important, sorry.

• FreakPrince
    FreakPrince Member Posts: 526
    Options

Well, they have just implemented the system and this is a test. So people should just calm down lol

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

I feel the first 2 bans are ok, but the other bans after that should be increased dramatically. If someone DC's twice by accident then they'll know their internet isn't great and needs to take a break for the day.

• bendermac
    bendermac Member Posts: 772
    Options

No! You would a loophole. A mori is in play and someone doesn't wanna play against. DC in the loading screen and I'm fine HAHA!

If there is a problem and you have to quit, say for infinite loadscreen, then just take the 60 sec penalty and move on.

No loopholes should be made. PERIOD!

• InnCognito
    InnCognito Member Posts: 720
    edited December 2019
    Options

Lets be honest here. This game has a very thin and narrow line about it. Yes, this game use to be outright addictive and fun. But when it becomes a chore, nobody sticks around for that "noise". The steam forums have tons of reports of "The game crashes, we receive DC penalty". Not everyone played this game on a Wired connection and a 3 thousand dollar gaming pc.

Most customers played this game on Laptops and on WiFi connections. Honestly, the saving grace for survivors was the hatch, so if their team mates were a downfall to the match, they could escape. After that was taken away by End Game Collapse. DCs escelated and some call this abuse. I call this a social response caused by a change. (take some psychology courses in college and learn a few things).

Nobody likes this system and this SHOULD have been tested on PTR, NOT live customer services. I would get RID of the DC penalty system, figure out why the influx of disconnects happened. Nobody just became "spoiled brats" over night. It is something that legit caused this.

I was talking to my buddy that runs a gamestore and even he said he pulled all DBD copies off the shelf until this is resolved.

Post edited by Inji on
  • garbageman
    garbageman Member Posts: 9
    Options

Have you even looked into why people DC? Maybe a few things like:

*afk players(s) from the start

*bugged and stuck

*1 or 2 survivors already DC (terrible from both sides)

*killers that want to just farm

Then there's other things that make the game absolutely horribly unfun:

*iri-head mori huntress + a few other absolutely wretched perk/offering combos.

*1-st hook camping bubba because he's "just doing a daily"

Fix the bugs and actions that make games unfun and you'll have less legit DCs. Then put in specific qualifications for DC penalties to apply (i.e., a timer after getting downed). Stop putting communist-level blanket rules across all players.

This "test" is so poorly thought out it's like it was devised by reddit.

• Runcore
    Runcore Member Posts: 328
    Options

Last game I was playing as killer and I was diconnected mid-game unintentionaly and immediately got DC punisment 60s. I was fulfiling Archives quest (hit 25x survivor) so I had no reason to DC intentionaly coz I lost whole progress from this match and DC occured when I was carrying survivor to hook. Now Im scared to play more games because I will be getting longer and longer time penalty for no reason and server-sided problems. This is realy unfair system that punish normal players for no reason and server problems. So what now? Stop playing? Support ticket? #########. Wanna hear some dev statement about this problem.

This discussion has been closed.