Game Monetization/Burnout

I think this is going to be the last time I post to the forums. It's not to say I'll never play the game again, but I am not liking the direction the game is heading, especially in terms of monetization and how it exploits compulsive behavior.

As someone who already struggles with that issue, the idea of the rift was troubling. I had leftover shards from buying a couple halloween skins, so I bought the premium track before realizing what a horrible grind it is. With money sunk, and not wanting to waste it, I have been grinding an unhealthy amount, to the detriment of other areas in life.

Now if I want the items I already paid to earn, I will have to pay more. Yes, you earn some back, but at a rate of 100AC cost per tier, I would have to spend another $34 where I am at to finish. The principles at work here are very much the same as slot machines. They make a lot of noise and fuss to disguise that your funds are slowly draining away.

Tactics like these have been so harshly critisized that both the World Health Organization and the US government have spoken out against industsry practices. The former added Gaming Addiction as an official disorder, and the latter has threatened to regulate games as gambling.

While I have spoke out in the defense of the developers, as there are many voices that want so much for nothing, I can't say this is right, even if "everyone else is doing it." I have always paid for new DLC, as that is a fair and transparent transaction.

But between this issue, bugs, wait times, and the aggressively toxic playerbase, I think I'm stepping away. I truly love the world your team has crafted, and I wish for your continuing success, but that comes with the caveat of doing right by your players and considering the ethical ramifications of how you monetize the game.

Comments

• Magnificent_Bats
    Magnificent_Bats Member Posts: 12

You make a lot of valid points, i'm also experiencing Rift burnout and am going to take a bit of a break but I know I'll return. Sadly, most of the industry is like this now & likely will be for some time.

• Youko
    Youko Member Posts: 187

Thanks for your reponse. I'm always apprehensive to post given how often people get attacked, so I appreciate starting us off on a good foot.

I really wish the industry as a whole would seek out mental health professionals to understand how these tactics hurt vulnerable parts of the community. But also have a frank discussion of the real costs of game development and how perceptions of the $60 standard don't hold up.

• blackx2
    blackx2 Member Posts: 56

Why are you paying and spending soo much time playing?

• Ajritoka
    Ajritoka Member Posts: 594

Didn’t you read the post? It’s kind of an addicting because of the way Dead by Daylight is structured and monetized.

I’m dealing with the same issue, my family says I’ve been spending too much time gaming. I found that absurd, because in the amount I’ve been playing I’ve barely been able to make any progress. I assumed I was spending around two hours every evening. Turns out I was sitting from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. on some nights. That’s five hours, and my progress is still moving at a snail’s pace.

The grind in this game is atrocious. The bloodweb, prestige, teachable perks, iridescent shards, archives, achievements. In my mind, good games don’t have a big grind, because the gameplay is enough to keep you hooked. A good example of this is Overwatch, where everything is so much easier to unlock. After two months I got everything I wanted for my heroes, and yet I’m still playing.

Honestly, the gameplay of Dead by Daylight isn’t that bad. I don’t know why the developers think they need to have a grind to keep us hooked (oops). But it can make people feel like they’re barely making a dent in progression and could turn them away thinking, “I don’t have the time for a game like this.”

• blackx2
    blackx2 Member Posts: 56

You don't need to grind all the way around.

It doesn't matter after sometime, things here is about cosmetics.

Just set a time for playing, play some matches then stop.

• Youko

Blackx2:The problem, as I stated, was that I paid money for the Premium Rift. I only was able to earn back about 700 of the Auric Cells I spent. It was made out to seem that if you played regularly, it would be no problem earning those back. And that's just not true.

Also, as I mentioned, it is a mental health issue, like telling compulsive gamblers or alcoholics to just spend 20 bucks or just have one drink, it is very, very difficult. I'm personally working on it, but until I'm in a better place, it means walking away.

KillerRaccoon: I love Overwatch too! The monetization aspect is much better. The only thing that gets me there is SR grind. So close to getting to Diamond as support!

• Prex91
    Prex91 Member Posts: 764

Next rift less farm please devs!

• Ni7rogen
    Ni7rogen Member Posts: 80

Actually I get you, in a lesser level, I paid almost every chapter except Clown, Oni and Doctor ones, always in sale and in Argentine peso, each dollar is 13 argentine peso in steam but currently the actual dollar is +60 argentine peso, which is heavy, console players experience more monetary loss, I got exhausted by rift, I have a whole of free time however, I managed to reach 70 before christmas.

I never bought skins, but the rift has it's issue, it takes a bit to do, specially dark sense challenges, those are the worst.

• Youko

Well, 2020 is officially here. I think my resolution is going to be to play some single player horror games from the backlog of stuff I have/Resident Evil 3 remake when it comes out. If you guys continue the discussion, hopefully the devs will take an earnest look at the feedback.

Have a great New Year everyone!

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687

Yeah they said they wanted to make 100% rift achievable for their average players but I really think it was too harsh. I can't help but think it was intentional in order to get people to buy tiers because of sunken-cost fallacy.

• inferjus
    inferjus Member Posts: 479

I am no-lifing this game since the Rift begun and I am only on tier 58. They had to make this very grindy on purpose, I don't believe their real intentions were to make it achievable for average players.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

Dude that is the problem they did seek out mental health professionals, the result is however what many of us so dislike. This stuff did not exist that way back in the days of gaming. There are however companies that do not use such stuff so vote with your wallet.