Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Just a comment about the motivation behind the Ruin update

Almo
Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

Hi!

Just wanted to address one common concern I've seen from the community. "They nerfed Ruin so it wouldn't be hard for new Survivors."

That's not quite what the intention was. This is subtle, but bear with me.

New Ruin is in fact really brutal for new Survivors... because it is insidious. They have no idea what's happening, and they struggle to get gens done at all. That little zap effect when you take your hands off a gen? Barely noticable to a new player who's panicing because of the L3 Terror Radius they are hearing. It's not even noticable that the gen is regressing twice as fast as if the Killer had damaged it.

What we wanted to do was not "make it easy for new players" but "make it less frustrating for new players". In playtests with newer Survivor players, it was 4k with 4 or 5 gens up almost every time. But they didn't hate their time in the game as much because those red skill checks weren't in their faces.

I'm looking forward to playing on the PTB with some of you tomorrow; see you in the Fog!

Comments

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,967

The new ruin should atleast be it's old 5% 2% sounds like barely anything

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267

Let's just see what happens tomorrow :)

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,967
    edited January 2020

thought it went 1 then 1.5 and then 2? Oh I'm absolutely dumb apologies lol

• S_Panda
    S_Panda Member Posts: 539

Of normal regression rate. When a killer spends the...2 seconds? kicking a generator it starts regressing at .25% per second. 1x that rate is the same. 1.5x is ~.375%. 2x is .5%.

• ElementDoom
    ElementDoom Member Posts: 166

They already did that. To be fair doing it again wouldn't surprise me.

• The_Second_Coming
    The_Second_Coming Member Posts: 1,110
    edited January 2020

Okay. How about making DS less frustrating for new players? Hell, for seasoned players too! With new killers going up against red rank survivors these days due to the atrocious matchmaking (which apparently you guys are just going to hide instead of fixing, KEK), I think that should be addressed.

Also - since ruin is no longer there to slow the progress of generators, how about nerfing perks like Prove Thyself and Leader accordingly? You're making Ruin useless, may as well make them useless too.

The fact is, you did TERRIBLE research on this supposed "data" before you committed to this nerf. Like everyone else has said, you saw something being used a lot, and nerfed it. You didn't ask the CRUCIAL balance question of WHY it's used a lot. That's called negligence.

The fact that you're nerfing an ALREADY WEAK killer, and a slow down perk to make it less frustrating for the people it's supposed to assist in DEFEATING...is backwards as all hell. This is why BHVR is a meme.

• zelda
    zelda Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2020

I think R20 baby survivors also know fix one gen completely, and then fix another gen, but dev don't know.

• joker7997
    joker7997 Member Posts: 899

Typical response noone cares the motivation, just the result.

• Sylorknag
    Sylorknag Member Posts: 760

It's really hard not to notice the glowing thing you have spawn on top of it.

• goat10em
    goat10em Member Posts: 749

So new survivors don't know about ruin and instead of adding it to the tutorial the game is just made easier for all survivors? At a time when it's already so easy to pip as survivor that new killers can't find games because every survivor is red rank? Doesn't seem well thought out.

This discussion has been closed.