Devs: you need to address the real reason people use Ruin

Comments

• Brisingr
    Brisingr Member Posts: 104

The fact of the matter is that this problem exists even if matchmaking is working properly.

• bl4ckhearts
    bl4ckhearts Member Posts: 40

so basically all i can see is people saying they get 4 kills without ruin bet u didnt pip at the high ranks u only safety pipped or u depipped, why because ruin stop gens being rushed so hard but of course thee devs only see the low ranks survivor crying that they cnt hit a skillcheck thats great so of course ruin is so op it has to be nerfed so they can just press m1 and not worry about having actual skill to hit the skillcheck at the right time which of course is now going top open the high ranks sweaty survivors to easily just over power killers now by completeing gens with no penalty because they wont get off the gens and if they do itll be for a few seconds before jumping back on, how about u make it so ruin isnt a hex perek and does higher percentage of regression when not worked on ? so that way gens cnt be done faster when they get off it or even maybe just maybe u make ruin a non hex perk and keep it as it is effecting skillchecks and the low rank survivors learn to ######### press m1 thought ruin and the devs stop sucking low rank survivors ego and balance the game right, if you want your survivors to not do ######### then heres a idea take out killers, stick in a ai bot that wanders around and swings at the air then your precious low rank survivor mains will have nothing to worry about, keep going to kill your game pretty good job so far of doing it

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

I've never saw an exhaustion perk or any perk guarantee a pip. They have all been changed over time to stop this from happening. You do know SB used to be a 20s cooldown even when running? How it used to be was a huge crutch perk as it could be used multiple times within a chase that is why it has been changed a few times since release.

Ruin when up can and does affect every aspect of the killer play as it gives the player time. Chases, hits, hooks, gen time, sacrifices it all is helped with ruin. It helps with every emblem when it's effective and one especially. Naturally it inherently then helps players rank up. I feel that is why the devs have decided on the change now.

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367

Then you should fix rank. Every time I try killer I'm r20 going against reds

• Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288
    edited January 2020

@twistedmonkey

I would ask the same to yourself? Competent swf run about constantly. They hardly walk unless it's beneficial as it wastes time. I wasn't referring to them being bad players but they run about bobbing there heads back and forth. Dont tsake it too literally as I am saying they are bad. They just dont care about being seen. Good players want to be chased as they are confident. It also enables the rest to do what is needed even more so in an swf.

I would gladly answer you: yes, I do play a lot as killer, rank 1 and at the time I'm focusing on Legion - again, my question was not provocative and you still haven't answered to be fair :P. I'm also a rank 1 solo survivor, but queue times are too high right now so I'm playing it less and less (plus: it's honestly too easy, also because a lot of the times I face killers which are much lower ranked than me and the rest of the team).

Now back to the point: so... you agree on me that those chickens don't care to be seen because it enables the rest to do what is needed, which is exactly what I said: they are a decoy, if you follow those clicky-clicky survivors, you won't have a good time, most of the time.

Meaning: yeah, I use Ruin to buy me some time and find someone, but it was implicit that this someone shouldn't be a clicky-clicky survivor that's just going to try to loop me on the opposite side from where everyone else is :P. Also remember that if I'm chasing someone, in order to the totem to be cleansed only two survivors can be working on a generator, so yeah, for 30 seconds I have not only Ruin's effect (which at high ranks is not that relevant anyway), but most importantly 50% less survivors working on generator(s).

Devs don't like it, because, between other reasons, it's too easy for a killer to just gain this advantage without efforts, but what they fail to realise is that

• after those 30 seconds, we have only 3 perks instead of 4.
    • we wouldn't run Ruin anyway, if there was a real alternative (or if it wasn't needed, because it's not fun to use, at all!).
    • BUT THE HATCH AND THE KEYS AND ADRENALINE AND DS...! (I'm joking)

In any case, I'm not saying that now killers are screwed, I'm confident enough to say that I will still be able to win the majority of my games. Problem is that playing killer is already stressful, and it will become even more so, especially against very good teams. You could say that if I / we find it so stressful, we could just play survivor but.. that's exactly the problem: queue times.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Ruin isn't necessary to win, it simply gives you the chance for a better chance (it can break instantly, or last the entire game. All random chance). My favorite builds for Red ranks don't have Ruin, but it has Corrupt Intervention for a similar reason.

Just because it's powerful doesn't mean it is for everyone... but the Dev's solution for Ruin's popularity is simply at the wrong time.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

I did answer but of course so play at high ranks in both sides and have done so since 2016.

I have played Trapper, Huntress, Hag and Myers mainly but prefer to rotate and play who I feel so play them all a decent amount.

No I did not agree 😛 Those chickens are practically all survivors at red ranks as its just symbolizing players running around. Most will run to the first gen they see and then run everywhere else. If they walk they probably have SB which doesn't show a good red rank player imo. It's not about the clicky clicky decoy as every killer should know not to chase them. They will chase you around to get attention anyway so of course its best to let them.

The main issue with ruin is good survivors won't bother to destroy it unless it's in plain sight or if they are checking normal spots they know on the way to another gen. They wont go out their way and work through it negating its use entirely. Ruin only helps versus players who cant work through it and need to take the time search for it

If the best players aren't affected then it only helps versus players you shouldnt really need it against.

I personally feel the devs want it changed as its having to much if an impact on the game. They normally dont change something like this until its at the point where its deemed necessary.

Of course killers arent screwed. Hopefully most will adapt that can and wonder why they used ruin at all. I haven't used it since 2017 and have never felt I needed it.

Killer is stressful at times but that is true of most PvP games where you need to play at the top of your game. Solo survivor can also be stressful at times but you can get enough downtime to lessen it in each match.

• dbd900bach
    dbd900bach Member Posts: 684

On the topic of ranking and the emblem system(which is probably off topic on this lost but...) If the dev's ever decide to fix the ranking so people go against people of equal skill, would it be wrong to set everyone back at rank 20 then just let everyone fall into the right place? I don't exactly what would happen and I'm probably wrong but it could filter out everyone despite the couple days of absolute chaos which is small price to pay.

• Zagrid
    Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000

That might work if it was actually functional. But it isn’t.

• Monlyth
    Monlyth Member Posts: 982

That wouldn't work all that well. Lots of people would get hardstuck at the low ranks, due to people from lots of different skill levels getting matched together.

• Elvenmonk

That's only temp.

Once everyone starts to rank up they'll be where they belong. Yes the red ranks will squish everyone at first but they'll leave. As they're leaving so are the purples and so on. It'd be a mess for like a week or two

• Monlyth
    Monlyth Member Posts: 982

And then after that week or two is over, we'd have the same issues we did before. I don't see how this change would accomplish anything significant.

• Elvenmonk

Because he said after a new/fixed ranking system. Which they have said they are making.

It a hard reset would be chaos for a week or two and then balance out. Because right now if they left it as is then you'd have all the people who just gamed the system in red ranks.

People just want a fair ranking that matters

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

Assuming they ever implement this new ranking system they’ve been talking about for how long now? That hardly matters when matchmaking is busted and rank 1 get matched against rank 15, and no I’m not talking about SWF.

You have an awful lot of faith that they’ll fix these issues, based on their track record I’m not so sure.

• toxicmegg
    toxicmegg Member Posts: 662

y'all being so dramatic. gen speeds are perfectly fine to get a 2-3k, which is how it should be. you get 4k if u do extra good.

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620
    edited January 2020

Otz said ruin is necessary on Clown and its very good on Trapper, he is just good enough to play without it. Point still stands.

• Aura_babyy
    Aura_babyy Member Posts: 583

Yes, the fact remains Otz is a High rank Killer because he is good. The problem with people is how much they relied on the perk.

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620

Thats because there are problems with maps, gens and some killers.

Some maps are too big for some killers, gens are too fast for some killers, there is no time to prepare with killers that need setup, some killers are too weak and need a crutch perk like ruin to even work, some bad players used ruin to make games easier without effort.

So basically there are many reasons people use ruin, and only the last one can be fixed with ruin nerf. Ruin should be changed, but there are problems with the game itself that ruin nerf will not fix. If devs are going to destroy ruin, then they have to fix all these problems

• toxicmegg

the thing is (with a name like Actually_Jesus i wouldn't expect you to understand), to killer a 2-3k is a win. to a survivor escaping is a win. do extra good as survivor, and all survivors can escape. do extra good as killer, and you can kill all survivors.

• toxicmegg

my name is a freaking joke if that's what you meant. just stop taking things so seriously and relax a bit.

2-3k is a win to killer. you don't always pip as survivor even if you escape. why is that? because you didn't do enough in different categories in the match. though i agree pipping system is still trash sometimes

• toxicmegg

there you are wrong and right. you should get a pip if you hook all survivors at least once and don't camp hooks, protect gens well enough and sacrifice 2 or more survivors

• DostiL
    DostiL Member Posts: 39

Make 90 FOV the default for killers.

• johnmwarner

I agree, if you do anything at all you basically black PIP at least. The only time I depip in red ranks is when I get hard core tunneled or camped from the start.

• The_Lunatic25
    The_Lunatic25 Member Posts: 14

I realize this is from yesterday, but your matchmaking isn't taking ranks into consideration. I've seen brown ranks come up against red rank killers, and vice versa.

When it was fixed a few months ago, it was correct for roughly about 2 weeks. Then the next update broke it again, and it's not even been addressed in other Dev Diaries or anything.

• Sylorknag
    Sylorknag Member Posts: 760

Doesn't the same logic also apply to survivors?

If they can't hit skillchecks, they have to look for the totem... That's the whole point of the totem....

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

I’m pretty sure the broken matchmaking isn’t a bug nor is it broken. It is intentional. When it was working the way it should work, queue times were too long, now that ranks are all jumbled, queues are shorter. It’s why they want to hide ranks on the tally screen and it’s why they haven’t addressed questions about matchmaking on the forums.

• thenegativone
    thenegativone Member Posts: 254

Honestly saying its because ruin makes skill checks too hard is kinda bs. I assume they have no plans to change unnerving presence or overcharge which also make skill checks hard..

• johnmwarner

If that’s the case, if the range of 6 ranks either way still made matchmaking take too long then fine switch it. But at least tell us and not claim you’re looking into it.

• The_Lunatic25
    The_Lunatic25 Member Posts: 14

you might be right about that, but at that point that makes having ranks entirely pointless. The entire point of a ranking system is to pair up people of similar skills and pit them against one another.

Maybe that idea of a 'ranked' and a 'casual' playlist isn't such a bad idea then...

• NeaKarlsson123
    NeaKarlsson123 Member Posts: 22

So your saying we should compare all the killers to otz wow are you joking or are you just to tired to think straight?

• johnmwarner

Explain how survivors like Tofu and Puppers work through Ruin without whining about it?

• KuromiStarwind
    KuromiStarwind Member Posts: 325
    edited January 2020

Honestly, small changes like this would go a long way, as unrelated to Ruin as it is lol

• underlord99
    underlord99 Member Posts: 1,030
  • Shi
    Shi Member Posts: 156

Gen speed = 80 sec

If killer chase first target in 80 sec = 3 gens are done.

And killer can't eliminate one survival off because of DS with 60sec.

I suggest please bring the old Hex:Ruin back, and nerf it 0/1/2%. I'm find.

And buff "THIS IS NOT HAPPEN" without injuring for new player. This perk is the best for people who have skill check missing problem.

After, you have solution to solve gen speed issue. I would appreciate, if you want to change Hex:Ruin.

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 720

Then leave Ruin as is and survivors who can’t play at a high enough level to hit skill checks will derank to a more comfortable level, that’s the point in the ranking system right?

Low rank killers still have to find, chase, catch, carry and hook survivors with Ruin up.

Small Game is a basic perk everyone has access to if they can’t find totems either.

I use Small Game for exactly that reason, though I am much better at hitting skill checks after practice; which even new survivors will have with experience eventually.

• Karltastisk
    Karltastisk Member Posts: 529

remove the black pip and this would be the case. As it is now it is near impossible to derank unless its on purpose.

• Aura_babyy

Yes.

If you are not as good as he is then you get the rank where you belong at. This was Peanits' point in a nutshell.

There's no overthinking anything, if you're not on a skill level above or on par of the streamers, you just simply are not as good or you make too many mistakes.

• Aura_babyy

This is not the same thing.

They're both really decent when it comes to doing gens with Ruin. Thing is, I find that even with a solid team, I feel like the Killers that they go against that do not run Ruin were the ones they struggled the most with.

The less you rely on the crutches of the game the better you are and the less it affects you when those crutches are nerfed.

• VSLl
    VSLl Member Posts: 315
  • johnmwarner

Why, why is it different? So good killers can win without ruin so we all should learn to do the same?

But telling survivors to get good at skill checks if they wanna rank up is different somehow?

• emyung
    emyung Member Posts: 138

To be honest, as an almost exclusive survivor player, I find hitting skill checks while on ruin more fun than knowing that I can finish the gens without difficulty.

I was on a trial against a good hunter. At the end of the trial, 2 survivors managed to escape. It felt boring, I had not got hooked even once. The 50% kill balance goal is boring.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

@Peanits

I have the side with the community on this one.

Can you, please, answer OP's question? Even if it's a SoonTM or a disclaimer because people are genuinely upset that generators can be done extremely fast, and you don't seem to give us any information about that.

People are thinking you are ignoring them because you aren't answering OP's question. Please, with all the sugar in the world, answer OP's question? 😁🤗

• Thanatos_x
    Thanatos_x Member Posts: 201

Otz also gets destroyed with Ruin, what's your point? Not everyone is one of the most elite and well known killer players in DBD lol, hate to break it to you bud

• Thanatos_x

You're telling them stuff they already know. They just don't want to fix it correctly, it doesn't make it fun for survivors!

• Thanatos_x

I agree with you 100% on this but there's still the undeniable fact that matchmaking hardly ever functions correctly lol. I'm a rank 8 killer and I consistently get ranked with full red rank teams, and I've also seen many green ranks and even yellow rank killers paired with red rank survivors as well. But there's just always something to complain about isn't there