The hatch

The hatch is a poor design choice. If you go too ham survivors just say "nope". Key in hatch 3 escape. Why in a pvp game, would you give anyone the option of saying "nope too hard" and leaving?

The key is the real issue here. The gens, small amount of anything survivors have to do, and they can check out at anytime. Why even play killer? Survivors have the infant difficulty while killers sweat.

Devs, maybe treat the survivors like they can think for themselves? Give them more to do, remove the key. Currently the key is so much worse than you think ruin is. If you are going to have an unbalanced game, make it unbalanced for both sides. You are destroying the game for survivors and killers. (This post is for those that want to add substance to this discussion. Nothing else.)

Comments

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987

I think 3 people 1 gens is too much. 2 people 1 gens would maybe be more fair. That’s my only issue

• MysticAdvisor
    MysticAdvisor Member Posts: 453

I’ve talked about the hatch before and I recommended they change it into a mine elevator that can only take 1 survivor after they repair it and power it up with 3 gens.

Unless someone calls it with a key back up.

Unfortunately the hatch mechanic overall was poorly designed.

But hey I would add and a change all kinds of stuff if I could to make the game more interesting.

• Clownismymain
    Clownismymain Member Posts: 22

That's a cool solution. Making it a optional objective sounds good.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

for me, the hatch keeps the game intresting to the end. When i play survivor, i play solo most of the time.

that means you have mates that disconnect if the killer sees them, or die on the first hook because reasons.

When there are 2 survivor left, its about who is found first. Yet, i do gens anyway, and hope the other one does as well (often, he doesn´t). Yet you have something to keep playing the game. if all works out, you might escape together, if not, you can still make it.

If the hatch was gone, you could just throw away the game after the first disconnect, because in a 3-1 situation early the most likly outcome is known.

• MysticAdvisor
    MysticAdvisor Member Posts: 453

I agree about the disconnect issue; however, I strongly disagree on the hatch’s design.

1 survivor can sit in a corner the whole game and wait for ( their teammates to all die/ exit gate to open) and then book it for the hatch and they were required to do NOTHING.

Giving them a free win.

I want something else that isn’t a hatch( different version that is more fair).

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

I would propose that the two Gens left over be changed to hatch gens... complete one of them to have access to the hatch but only open it with a key

• Holdonholdon
    Holdonholdon Member Posts: 48

I agree. But, I also think all survivors should start on the hook and immediately die. This way the killer wins and hes happy, and we can get into more games faster.

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838
    edited January 2020

Ima just be that one guy that says "IF KEY GO MORI GO. SIPATICO(which isn't simple in Es Pan Yole btw.)"

In all seriousness, people who have an argument about saying hatch is a sucky addition, I feel it's for that one solo surv Viv vor dat ran the killer around for ten mins while three blendettes sat the corner warping out of existence.

But what about SWF? You may axe. Your friends could be potatoes with sticks and motors attached walking around in that repetitive *whhaa whhay whwoa* every time they take a step.

What if you just did bad? Then you don't deserve it. In that situation, you sucked and got a free escape after watching your teammates do work. Maybe something like a person in specific does x amount of gens or has x amount of match points.

• AlecSander
    AlecSander Member Posts: 67

Nope it’s too weak buff it.Oh...

• Holdonholdon
    Holdonholdon Member Posts: 48

We shouldnt have exits period

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219
    edited January 2020

Well, i am really curious where you encounter all those survivors that do nothing all game and just wait for the hatch? Who wants to play this game like that? I mean, there are hatchcampers that search the hatch and dont do anything after they found it, but only if only 2 people left (ok, once i got a guy who started it with 3 survivors left, but only once), but those survivors that do nothing at all all game?Never saw them, not even at rank 20.

I mean, the only argument you bring against it is "there might be some people who get the hatch that dont deserve it". But the same holds true for killers that get an easy 3v1 due to a disconnect. they dont deserve that kills either. Should a game just end completly after a disconnect?

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213

Meh. Keys are fine. If there are 3 Survivors alive when the hatch appears AND they have a Key then they earned it.

Take Franklin's if you have a hard time taking down the Key Wielder. Or take a Mori.

I dunno.

• Aesthetiks
    Aesthetiks Member Posts: 29

i remember hour long games from back in the day.. could easily hold people hostage

• VincentRedfield
    VincentRedfield Member Posts: 285

Let's delete make it so all moris only work once per game. Sounds fun to me.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213

???

Your reaction to Peanits is strange.

He explained how it is currently better than it was, and that one Survivor being able to get out isn't desirable [for the Killer] it is better than the alternative of having an endless game for both because the last Survivor never wanted to risk anything once Hatch closed when the EGC wasn't a thing which is an issue both sides had to deal with. This isn't even mentioning Hatch stand offs.

He never said it was unfair for Survivors.

• TheRoyalOwl
    TheRoyalOwl Member Posts: 749

I don't think it's fair to judge a player based off their team. If one good person gets teamed up with 3 bad players they are gonna lose as most of their team weren't being productive, but that isn't the good players fault, so why punish the good player?

• goat10em
    goat10em Member Posts: 749
    edited January 2020

I don't have an issue with the hatch. However I can not understand why keys are a thing. It bypasses so much of the game.

The way pipping is set up you don't need to do much of anything to pip as survivor...you especially don't need to survive. Killers need the hooks and kills to pip and the keys rob them of a chance for that.

As a killer my only real counter for a key is an ebony (if they bring the key...if they find it in game i'm screwed). I can make sure everyone is gone before the hatch even spawns. I absolutely hate doing that though as it robs me of points and I don't find it fun.

• mouse0270
    mouse0270 Member Posts: 849

Then we should change how "A lot of killers" feel as wining the game. Why should winning the game mean a 4k and not a 2k or even a 3k?

Yes I agree with you that the game basically tells you that you failed if you didn't get a 4k. Which is what they should fix, not removing a mechanic that feeds that last survivor or two hope (which off lore is what the entity feeds off).

They should change how pipping and the messages you see to not seem like you lost if you didn't 4k.

• mouse0270

That was my point, it seems like the game is telling you that you lost if you didn't 4k (and as you pointed out, sometimes when you do).

I think a lot of the complaints would go away if people saw a 2k or a3k as a win instead of a lost. Which is something they have to fix with their pipping system.

• Huntar
    Huntar Member Posts: 848

So when will the killer emblems see a full overhaul (or even better, a reversion to the victory cube)? Because I'd like to say that there's nothing more disheartening than getting a 4K just for the game to tell me that I lost that round. I'd be fine with losing pips on a 2K, but if only 1 or 0 get away, it doesn't feel right to be punished for that.

• DeadByMittens
    DeadByMittens Member Posts: 60

I don't know why but I think it would be funny if you had a key and you opened the hatch, but only you (the person who opened it) could leave the match. This means, you would leave your team behind and start EGC. I think it would make keys more balanced but there're other issues with it.

I've had matches were people would leave through the hatch and I lost the game, or I would leave with other people and they lost. It's very unfair and I think keys need a change. Also, I think funny watching your teammates die, especially if they were bad.

• Oh there is no question about it from anyone except the devs for some reason - Keys have to go and so do Mori's. Maybe they could be reworked, but I don't see much room for them to work with in that regard.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

Why do you think dying is a punishment? Survivors still pip when they die.

Killers need all their hooks.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,531
    edited January 2020

I don't think we've conclusively said anywhere that we don't want to change keys and mori's. Frankly I'd agree with you from my own experience playing (speaking for myself). More realistically, IF we were to completely rework the two, that would take a significant amount of time, and finding the time to do that is tricky.

(Emphasizing IF because this is not confirmation of anything.)

• Removing them/disabling them until they are actually ready for release again wouldn't take long.

• Shaddai
    Shaddai Member Posts: 21

I had an idea at one time for mori's that I think would be a bit better. Right now green mori let's you kill one person, and the pink let's you kill everybody.

My idea would actually swap that around with a few changes.

Yellow mori - fine as is.

Green mori - Allows you to kill all 4 survivors, but you can only kill a single survivor after they've been hooked twice. (i.e. you're only able to mori on death hook.)

Pink mori - Allows you to kill only 1 survivor immediately. (No Hooks required.) - This should also be made to appear much more rare in the bloodweb, but it would make it feel more like a pink offering at that point. (It would suck to be that one singled out, but I feel 1 is better than all 4 dying after only one hook...at least imo.)

I also think keys could be changed a bit too and this is what I had as well.

Purple Key - Only allows the user to escape while triggering the end game collapse upon closing the hatch. (Hatch closes automatically and doors are powered while all gens are then covered.) (This then allows the killer to patrol the doors and start a timer to end the game.)

Pink Key - Opens the hatch for 30 seconds. Can only be used if all 5 generators are completed.

Not the best ideas obviously, but just something I've thought about in the past.

• RaSavage42

In order to "finish" a Gen keys could be used to turn them on... lol

But anyway I think the hatch should spawn as normal if there only one survivor left but if 2 survivors or all gens are done the hatch spawns closed till one exit door is open or a key is used

• RaSavage42

Forgot to add... without the sound the hatch makes

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

Because people care about ranking up and the higher in rank you go, the emblem system forces you to go for a 4K to make sure you can pip. You can get a 3K and safety pip or worse and 2K and de-pip, especially against optimal survivors. Since I've been in red ranks this reset, I've had a few games where 3 survivors escaped via hatch that the group brought a key.

• mouse0270

Which was the point of my last statement, A HUGE fix to this game would be changing how ranking up worked and the messages you get.

The game tells you that you failed for not getting a 4k the higher rank you are. Which is dumb, no matter your rank, a 2k should be a success.

I would say, that a 2k shouldn't count as a win if you are 1 hook mori people, but if you are 3 hooking or 2 hook mori'ing people the game should be like, here is your pip and here is "Entity Pleased" message.

I think the game would be a lot less toxic if the game didn't make killers feel like they lost if they didn't 4k

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

This is actually fine (in theory). Depends on how you get the 4k. With moris? No win indeed. I'm aware that the emblem system is bad, but when you are by definition a rank 4 killer and not a rank 1 killer, then the average game you are performing should keep you exactly at rank 4. Sometimes pip, sometimes depip, mostly black pip. Just to notify, that not every game deserves a pip and not every player deserves rank 1. You yourself said, a win is a pip. So if you 4k'd without pip, it was probably not such a brilliant way to win. Problem is with emblems, for example, if people don't unhook or fail to kobe, you lose one possible chase and hook action etc, affecting your emblems negatively.

To the key thing, I also think opening the hatch should take some seconds to open and it should close after being used so that every survivor needs a key to escape through the hatch. These two minor changes would actually help A LOT in my opinion

• Deadeye

What should 4k mean else? And as I said, depends on how you get it. Mori is not the only way to have a quick end. Selfkills or slug to bleed out for example or camping. And also to repeat: I know the current emblem system does not work properly, like killers with insta downs getting punished to not make "2 hits" on a survivor but just one.

• Deadeye
    edited January 2020

So you think if you facecamp people to death and survivors are dumb enough to reward you for that, you should pip? I think you are exactly in the correct rank and should stay there with a nice black pip, and depip if people get out with that.

And what do you mean with "4k = 4 sacrifices"? Why you repeat that? That is clear. k stands for kills. Don't know what you think I might not get right there that you keep saying that.

• gaydavidking
    gaydavidking Member Posts: 158

This honestly seems like the most reasonable compromise, since it a) allows for the 'where did they go?' achievement, b) still makes keys useful for end-game escapes and c) encourages players to complete objectives while still giving the last survivor hope for a clutch hatch escape and isn't biased towards either killer or survivor since the killer can't find it before it spawns either.

• Deadeye

Survivors can prevent pips, but what we are actually talking about is survivors you pushing up with pips (at least that is what you expect from the described situation) and that is what should not happen, as you get elevated into ranks you don't belong to.

• Slival
    Slival Member Posts: 94

You know, I only have one real complaint about the hatch.

Survive with friends groups who strategically mass disconnect after the first down/while losing. They hold out on the hook until their friend says in the voice call "okay I'm on the hatch" then they quit/leave game and their friend goes through the hatch.

Often they will gloat in post game chat about how it was "worth the dc" for their friend with the best item to make it out of the hatch.

I often slug the second last person so I can hunt the last person, to counter this. If a group did not have voice chat outside of game, they would struggle on the hook to give the last person time to find the hatch, but instead I have to contend with people who automagically know exactly when to give up on the hook - because their friend found the hatch or made it to it. And sometimes slugging the second last person doesn't work - the person will dc which counts as a death and the hatch opens. I've had to start recording my games so I can report this kind of strategic and unsportsmanlike DC, and its literally my only problem with the end game collapse - played collusion outside of game to which there is no counterplay because it is strategically based around yanking your internet cord to let your buddy out.

• Deadeye

I say camping is bad play and even a 4k should not get you the pip, which even in the current emblem system is correct. You say bad play should be boosted by bad play, meaning if the bad 4k was achieved by bad survivors, you need to rank up.

I started this sub thread by saying "to not pip, even with a 4k, should be absolutely correct in certain situations" which seems to not be your opinion. Which is ok. I know the emblem system denies pips you deserve. I just think the above mori or facecamping 4k should not let you pip. That would not be a denied pip, if you grant that pip it would be an undeserved pip.

Btw regarding the "4k" term, last comment you said "good killers don't use game wording" if I understand that correctly. By game wording, using Mori would also be a 4k.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    edited January 2020

For keys:

I'd notify the killer of the hatch location when it spawns, and give another notification when someone starts using a key on it. 15 seconds opening time with three very difficult skill checks. Only one skill check needs to succeed but failed skill checks add another five seconds. If all skill check fail the hatch stays closed and the key becomes a broken key with the same addons. Other addons can be added that relate to the opening action.

Green Mori: one survivor can be killed once all survivors have been hooked.

Ebony Mori: same as above, and all survivors can be killed once exit gates are powered.

Moriing a survivor gives more bloodpoints which can go above the 32k cap

The actions of unlocking the hatch and moriing a survivor cannot be cancelled once started.

• Deadeye

And that's teh point we disagree. I think survivors should probably depip in such a game and killer should stay the same. If this boosts the killer up, he would rank up until facing survivors that don't grant free kills. Then you depip from there. I think facecamp killers should stay in thelower rank, as this strategy wouldn't work against better survivors, and thats why there should be no rank up. You should just rank up, when you "overperform"

• Deadeye

My point is that he should depip when facecamping and getting punished for it. What else would be a depip if not that? And that would make him jump up and down in ranks. A good ranking system should just keep you in the rank where that strategy seems to work but not raise you even higher with a mediocre strategy. When you get better than that, you should rank up. No rankup to give you a taste of higher ranked survivors and how they crush you to depip you.

But we get offtopic here, almost could make an own thread for it

• Infckingcredible
    Infckingcredible Member Posts: 145

Well, you can find keys within a game/chest but no mori if they do ;)

Anyways, i dont really care about hatch. The only time it sucks is the rare case when there are still 4 or 5 gens left and one escapes. If they did nothing or got stomped that hard they shouldn't get a free escape. Wish it was like the old hatch where it only spawned when at least 2 gens have been completed

• Scarythings
    Scarythings Member Posts: 2

I never really thought about this but I actually agree. Keys and the hatch can be VERY annoying. Especially when you as killer put in so effort into chasing and killing survivors that are sometimes hard to catch (especially if you’re lower in the ranks) and you down and kill one and the other three just jump through a hole and win. It’s not fun tbh