Empathy better than bond?

I am more of a stealthy player and after using both bond and empathy, i say empathy is the better perk.

It's aura reading is map wide just about. You can tell when people are being chased and you are safe to do gens without worries. For the times that no one is injured, spine chill lets me know when the killer is in my general area. The combination of the two give me so much situational awareness, its easy to stay safe throughout the match.

Thoughts?

Comments

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    edited December 2019

By the time they are out of range of Bond what happens to them doesn't really concern you, unless they are on hook/downed and only if there isn't anyone else closer. Mainly them being downed is helpful so you know exactly how far away the Killer is before you have to worry about him maybe getting to you.

I don't run either of them though.

• will_i_am_14_85
    will_i_am_14_85 Member Posts: 489
    edited December 2019

If you are looking for team work then Bond is good as you can see people near by who are working on gens, if you are injured you can get healed etc.

Empathy is good if you need to keep track of where the killer is, I like it as the first few minutes of the game are very nervy for me, not knowing if a Myers or Ghostface is going to jump out of nowhere and scare the ######### out of me, I can track where the killer is etc

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

Bond is the better as unlike empathy it has constant aura reading without the need of someone else having to be injured.

Bond helps you find others to get healed and work on gens along with if someone is in a chase within the radius. Empathy is good if you want saves ie flashlights or unhooking etc but it's a lot more situational.

• Galklife
    Galklife Member Posts: 726

bond you can tell when someone Healthy around you is getting chases (if you hear TR but theres no surv aura that is getting chased it means killer is most likely going for you)

with bond most likely you dont have to run selfcare because you can find healthy teammates to heal you

bond works vs 1shot killers

empathy works mapwide but when someone is injured you already know killer is busy

• wladimiiir
    wladimiiir Member Posts: 142

That's a hard one. I love both of them and every time a change from Bond to Empathy and vice versa I say to myself "Hm, this one is better". But that's really only a situational thing. Some games Bond is better other Empathy. And it also depends on killer.

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877
    edited December 2019

Would like to throw in, Aftercare is better than Empathy.

Aftercare has a higher requirement, but with the benefit of unlimited range Bond it's very worth it. You know exactly what everyone is doing and what to do in the situation.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,906

Bond >>>>>>> Empathy

• Rex_Huin
    Rex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208

Empathy is good entertainment. Whilst you are sat bored doing a gen you can watch a chase on the other side of the map.

• ManfredTheCrab
    ManfredTheCrab Member Posts: 41
    1. Alert
    2. Bond
    3. Empathy
  • Spirez
    Spirez Member Posts: 674

I prefer kindred over bond and empathy.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

Empathy is better than Bond only for rift challenges involving healing. Outside that, Bond is the better perk.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

My vote is for Bond as it tells you everything Empathy does but for all 4 people and they won't have to be injured to show up.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,515
    edited December 2019

I was actually about to ask what everyone suggests empathy aftercare or bond since i run bt aftercare would be nice because then i can see the survivor i unhook and is really good endgame. Bond is nice if im in the general area and empathy is good if i wanna heal other survivors.

• silverwolf4455
    silverwolf4455 Member Posts: 496

I would say bond is better but I'm now liking kindred after the buff is really good. Helps a lot in solo to stay focused and know when to save and when to stay on the gens.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    edited December 2019

I prefer Bond to Empathy cause it tracks uninjured survivors in the area you are concerned with most - the area immediately around you. It can protect you from getting in the way of chases, finding a survivor to heal you, save you some time going for a save if you pick up on another survivor going in, and find survivors working on those final gens faster to aid them. If you are going medic maybe you'd prefer Empathy - the only thing it has over Bond is the map wide range.

You should also throw in consideration for Kindred - it is quite the contender for Bond and Empathy now.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,531

Definitely depends what you're looking to get out of it. If you want info on where the killer is and where someone in need is, Empathy is the perk for you. If you want to know where teammates are when you need help, go with Bond.

• Haku
    Haku Member Posts: 614

Well usually thats what alert does for survivors. You can't really tell if the killer break all these pallets. I am pretty sure you would miss some too. And all that works only when the survivor is injured

• hocrux
    hocrux Member Posts: 212

Bond hands down, other then being able to see healthy survivors for optimal gameplay, you can also know where a killer is by your team movements(you can tell when someone in a chase)

Empathy only use is for flashlights saves/insta heal, No point having further aura reading of you're too far to make a difference

I run alert to track which pallets my teammates drop since i only do solo que, that way i can plan my route, alert also give you killer location when they kick a gen etc

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184
    edited December 2019

This is an arguement as old as DBD.

Many flame wars fought over which one was better.

Many lost their forum right over it. Some were never the same, cold and bitter. 😢

Dark, dark days they were and here you are opening old wounds. 😠

• Reyla
    Reyla Member Posts: 41

The most important thing about bond in solo play, is that you will see some of the funniest and bad plays by your team mates imaginable. Bond gives me more joy than anything else in dbd.

On a more serious note I have always preferred it over empathy, primarily because it gives more overall information, more consistently. It lets you see what gens your team mates are working on for the most part, so you know roughly what % that gen is on if they get chased off.

It lets you plan ahead for the good of your teammates, like if someone is looping close to me and I'm in a good jungle gym and on a gen, I'll know that my team mate is coming my way and move off to let them use it.

The counter is also true if I am being chased.

I see others going for saves quicker, so save time I would otherwise waste.

For me Bond is probably my favourite perk (I don't think it's the best btw) and the efficiency gains I make in game because of it are just massive.

I think empathy is a little more limited, still good, and I'm actually very interested in the new kindred.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,363

Been running Bond, alert, spinechill and ironwill. Bond typically makes it easy to tell where gens are, if someone else is going for a save, ect. Also, if a survivor is fast vaulting and running in circles...its pretty obvious theyre being chased, lol. The range is enough to ensure I stay out of the guys way and vacate the area if hes about to use the spot im working in. Alert lets me know the killers location when far away, which areas are probably lacking pallets and often times at the beginning of matches...the identity of the killer.

• Bustanut_Champion
    Bustanut_Champion Member Posts: 53

People are actually sleeping on aftercare, legit such a good perk. It doesn't take long before you can see your whole team, even with the prerequisite.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

That's hysterical!

I do like alert just don't have it unlocked. Also kindred is awesome but only have it in 2 survivors. Im a recent survivor player. Killer is too stressful sometimes. While i like a good challenge i play games to relax.

I think that's why i like empathy so much. Seeing soneone far away from me lets me know i can do what im doing without fear of getting grabbed off a gen or totem.

May have to play around with aftercare and bond some more. But i dont know if i can give up mapwide auras.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Other than the jab at my girl Claudette I agree.

Basically what I was going to say. Neither is better. Not in my opinion. They're just better for certain situations/depending on your goals.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Kindred dominates the aura reading meta, but I love using Empathy. I can lead the killer away from vulnerable teammates, see when pallets are being used anywhere, and find people who need healing from others. It is on the same level as Bond imo, but both are severely outclassed by Kindred. Maybe someday they will be buffed to match Kindred's power :)

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,363
    edited December 2019

Being able to see someone across the map isnt really as useful as being able to see whats going on around you. Typically with empathy, you get to see the 2nd half of a chase. With bond, you get to see the WHOLE chase if it threatens to affect you at all. I remember using this setup to watch a chase take place around the elementary school WHILE I was fixing a gen in the basement area of the school. Just watching the auras as well as spinechill let me know if I should move away from this chase taking place so nearby.

• SammyWasabi
    SammyWasabi Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2019

I feel which perk is better can depend on the situations.

Against certain killers that can keep people injured through Perks or Powers, like Plague and Oni. Empathy would be a wonderful pick.

For Bond, I use it when I'm solo queue, so if I am ever being chased, I can avoid my teammates while they are doing gens, but 99% of the time they're opening chests.

Empathy was very good in the anti heal meta, but with the Oni in the game, I think healing may become more possible. Just depends where you heal to counter Oni getting a lot of orbs.

I've been seeing a lot of kindred open handed recently, so if you happen to pair it with bond, that's quite the distance.

I think this comes down to the preference and situation in which you're using bond or empathy.

Post edited by SammyWasabi on
  • Gcarrara
    Gcarrara Member Posts: 2,263

Each perk has a different scope i'd say. I personally prefer Empathy, since i can get infos on where the killer is. 🙂