The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Oni ''flick'' changes

not_Queen
not_Queen Member Posts: 1,114
edited December 2019 in General Discussions

Hey guys,

There is currently a lot of questions and feedback about the Oni control changes that were released today on Hotfix 3.4.2.

We've had a discussion with our design team because some questions were left unanswered. Here is some clarification on the intended mechanics and our next steps:

• The controls, both on console and PC, are now working as intended.
  • Using keys and mouse at the same time no longer stacks while turning after using the Dash.
  • The angle the player can turn after dashing is capped to 90 degrees and is planned to stay that way.

While we think these changes are introduced to improve the game, we did hear a lot of feedback on the turn speed and controls changes. We feel there is something to improve there.

Our design team is planning on changing the turn rate ratio to improve on the feeling of the Dash, allowing you to freely move your camera within the limit. This will be included in a later update.

Some players are asking if these changes will impact on The Hillbilly's controls. They will not.

Hope this clarifies what we did for this change.

Comments

• Thanks for clearing up the ambiguity. Is the turn rate ratio applied when he's at the end of his sprint, or is it his turning ability while he's sprinting?

• DeanIcity
    DeanIcity Member Posts: 180

Thank you guys for listening. It is appreciated. This change was way too harsh.

• Venom368
    Venom368 Member Posts: 321

A 90 degree flick is honestly all he needs. I felt a bit dirty after landing some ridiculous flicks on people who did everything in their power to juke

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

Survivors pass the blood orb, the blood orb disappears

• Huntar
    Huntar Member Posts: 848

I'm interested in seeing how people feel about how it stacks up next to Myers' scratched mirror. Totally different beasts, but I love builds that give you power through information rather than just adjusting numbers.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Yes but plague has a much harder time capitalizing on it. Remember that Oni isn't completely denied his power by the addon, it's just a bit harder to get.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

This sounds great. Currently, he is still able to turn 180 degree with his dash lunge, but only at the very end of the lunge, where you suddenly get insane sensitivity again. I guess that will be fixed as well then, and instead he'll be able to turn faster but only up to 90 degrees?

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    edited December 2019

@Peanits There was already a reduction of aura reading, I also think, of course, it is a nice addon that changes gameplay, which I like on addons. But reducing the aura reading effect twice and adding the fact that you only get to your power with hitting survivors now seems again like a useless addon. The other ultra rare is already not worth the BP as half of the time when missing a hit you are looking at the ground, now both are not really worth it.

I will try it but really feel that you cut your power for a minor reward. Oni is already weak as long as he has to refill his power, now you need to down two people before you can make use of it. Of course aura reading is good, but I'm not sure if 2 seconds is really worth it. At which rate do they spawn?

Also, on killer instinct I notice that you may not look around too fast as you might catch the phases where it is invisible. Then you look to the next corner and the killer instinct pops up again outside of your sight. I think this will happen with a 2sec window as well, and you don't search for these as you don't have an audio cue that a survivor is highlighted

• lunaticlifter
    lunaticlifter Member Posts: 426
    edited December 2019

@Peanits will this change also go live on console? if yes does it means that we will finally get increased sensitvity for killers? i think it should be about time..

• Viracocha72
    Viracocha72 Member Posts: 207

Doesn't sound like increased sensitivity for all killers, just a change in the way Oni in particular is controlled.

• Th3Nightmare
    Th3Nightmare Member Posts: 1,266

So ... buff the turning speed of ONI a little? @Peanits

• Deadeye

So you want the plague ultra rare nerfed as well I guess. This one doesn't cut the Plague's power, it just has no downsides

• NuclearBurrito

Yeah cuz if it's active then the Plague doesn't HAVE a power.

• CloakedDagger1
    CloakedDagger1 Member Posts: 181

its impossible to flick on console now can y’all look into making higher sensitivity settings on Xbox and ps4 oni hardly playable on console now

• MrMisanthropy66
    MrMisanthropy66 Member Posts: 167

This all seems a little harsh but I play on ps4 hopefully it's not as bad in practice I will see in bit when I'm home and test him my fingers are crossed

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,549

I want to sincerely thank you for the changes you're looking into, the altered camera sounds like an extremely healthy change, and I look forward to seeing that change in the future.

I truly appreciate the open dialogue here as well, so thank you.

• Deadeye

Sorry, what? Im talking about the aura reading addon. Plague always has the vile purge and the corrupt purge is not affected by that addon in any way. What do you mean?

But back to the changes. I just think the ultra rares are allowed to be strong. Currently there is a trend of adding these downsides. That was not an issue before. Currently the addons go from unusable / not worthy to totally OP. There are a lot of killers that don't have downsides at all and I was happy about the Oni having these again just being good. Then this double nerf.

I mean if there is a survivor that is able to loop, he will gladly suck up all the orbs, being visible for a minute and then heading for the loops where aura reading doesn't help at all. Sure this will not happen in every game, but for an ultra rare that should not happen at all. And now pls noone say "then don't chase him". He still will deny me my power AND addon. So the benefit should be big enough. And as said before, 2 seconds are easy to miss. And don't forget that survivors see the orbs and can play around it most of the time. The only assured scenario is that survivors can't do gens injured without being noticed.

• NuclearBurrito

Addons with downsides are the best kind of addons.

Remember, ideally addons will be completely unneeded, and there is a limit to how strong a Killer can be before it becomes problematic, regardless of the rarity. Prayer beads, iridescent hatchet and Mori's are great examples of this gone wrong.

So for a Killer to have super strong addons and be balanced their basekit needs to be weaker, however we don't want this. So it's much better for the Killer to instead have weak addons and thus their basekit can afford to be stronger.

• WolfPad06
    WolfPad06 Member Posts: 182

So was the flick intended? Was it not intended?

There is a thread were Janik initially states it was never intended and few posts later, in the same thread, he says you should be able to flick 90 degrees as intended. What?

Also it was not mentioned, but Scott Jund demonstrated you can only flick at the last few frames of the attack of the demon dash, so instead of going a sharp 90 degree turn it's more of a slow 10 degree curve for 95% of the attack and then a sharp 90 degree turn on the last moment, which means if the survivor turn a corner they cannot get hit at all since you'll overshoot them initially while trying to turn and then just smash in their general direction but meters away from where they are.

I hope your upcoming change reverts this, as you're planning, because right now the Oni feels like you're trying to turn a 16 wheeler around a Micky D's drive thru.

• Deadeye
    edited December 2019

@NuclearBurrito Still don't get your point before, that made no sense.

Prayer beads got changed for a reason and iridiscent hatchets are only OP in combination with the +2 belt (which of course everyone combines). But that's it. People complain more about Clowns exhaustion gas (which is uncommon) than about Scratched mirror, even a lot of people love to play against scratched mirror.

The Demogorgon addon is nice with slower teleport but longer stealth. Less map control but you get a different playstyle and may place your portals differently and get some free hits. But beneath that he has still the Shred for the chase. The Oni has nothing until he has downed two survivors. Not sure if the aura reading helps out this much compared with being double the time in Demon Mode. That's why I think the duration should be at least long enough to catch a view on it, without rotating your camera 180 degrees per second.

• Kerowaj
    Kerowaj Member Posts: 5

Or you know, you could just make mouse and keyboard inputs not stack and leave his power as it was.

Not making conflicting statements on forum in the span of minutes would be also nice.

Also, the glove addon is pretty weak now, it's on the level of power of speed limiter, so now oni is a killer with the most useless ultra rare addons in the game right now.

• WolfPad06
    WolfPad06 Member Posts: 182
    edited December 2019
  • NuclearBurrito

Why would people complain about Scratched mirror? It has an appropriate downside which when combined with the upside makes for a really fun playstyle. If the addon was just free info with no downside then it would be extremely unfun and boring.

As for this addon I think you missed the part where the orbs stack the duration. So if they run into 3 orbs all at once they will be revealed for 6 seconds, and if they run into a cluster of 20 then you won't be losing sight of them any time soon.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Thank god for these changes. The flick was insanely overpowered. It took basically no skill to use oni with it.

• monka
    monka Member Posts: 66

ps4

90 does not turn.

Nothing has changed.

Was it really adjusted?

• Neot
    Neot Member Posts: 40

can anyone explain to me, so Oni will have better turn rate than Hillbilly now right? I had to refund the DLC because it's hard to control him while using demon dash, which is the same reason I don't play Hillbilly.

• Negi
    Negi Member Posts: 378

Was hoping he would be better to play on console but he still feels weird to play except now I have less control during the dash.

• IAMGODSTOMPER
    IAMGODSTOMPER Member Posts: 2

this is ridiculous never has a killer been nerfed twice so quickly this game will eventually have no one wanting to play killer because it seems its all about the survivor. I play both sides and i find the survivors always have the advantage when they bring certain items.

• snozer
    snozer Member Posts: 776

Get rid of the lunge you added to the dash attack.

Before this nerf to a loopable killer, you would instantly attack out of the dash if you tapped m1, now he will do a small lunge no matter what. this just allows survivors to just 360 the oni.

Who am i kidding, these devs balance around "FUN" and spinning in a circle around the killer is fun for survivors, so balance achieved right?

• Thanatos_x
    Thanatos_x Member Posts: 201

They are currently working on controller sensitivity

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,186

Therein lies the problem with generally balancing around the lowest common denominator majority's nebulous concept of "fun" in a pvp game: many players define "fun" as "I win". They should have long ago clearly defined what a win is for each side and balanced around fair win rates for higher skilled players. You know, like every other pvp game does.

• Kenshin
    Kenshin Member Posts: 912

but thats what makes dbd and bhvr so special: being something else than every other game!