BHVR already said they're happy with how new Ruin PTB is playing out? uhm how

Comments

• Lokiramza
    Lokiramza Member Posts: 5

If the change is being made for inexperienced players are you not getting bad info by using very experienced players?

How is this change affecting the killers that 15+ rank players face.

Or was this intended to make the game easier for newer players being taken into high ranks with SWF?

• siren_sorceress
    siren_sorceress Member Posts: 321

Never mind the countless surv nerfs they have received over the least year.

• TwinCrow
    TwinCrow Member Posts: 6

lmao did at least 3 survivors spawn 16 meters in front of it?

• siren_sorceress

Spirit was not gutted at all. Did you really only rely on beads or collision with her? Shes still broken and easy to 4k with without ruin or pop. I hope she gets nerfed so I dont feel ashamed of using her. Oni got his flick back and the ptb killers playing him liked him. Freddy gets more kills than even spirit now. So again. Wrong. Legion was totally broken and poorly designed. They had to gut him. Why would you allow a poor mechanic to continue to be used? Bias? I'm sure theyll rework him like they did freddy.

If you think BL is the only nerf survivors have gotten this year you clearly arent paying any attention at all. If you think spirits nerf was impactful at all you werent good with her to begin with. If you think leaving nurse to be god like tier forever was okay, you're clearly bias.

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822

I stopped reading at the spirit because you're so laughably wrong. She's easy to lose in chases, play the game and try instead of clipping scott jund talking points

• I_eat_glue
    I_eat_glue Member Posts: 23

Being a " experienced " player doesnt mean youre good and know what the game needs.

• siren_sorceress

4k hrs hun. I 4k with spirit every game. Easy as pie. Sorry you relied on collision instead of your ears lol.

• siren_sorceress

I bet you stopped reading. Couldn't handle a spirit main telling you shes easy and you're just not that good with her cause you chose to rely solely on collision instead of your ears, scratch marks and laughably easy "mind games" she can play on survivors. Anyone that defends spirit I know immediately is ignorant or bias bc I play her. If you stopped reading and only believing the baby killer complaints, and listen to the good ones, you might actually learn something and get better.

• Zanely89
    Zanely89 Member Posts: 134

Guys, stop arguing with the Dev as you are all emotionally driven to say all these things and Dev have out right said that they will ignore all the emotional driven post.

Feeling stressed or burned out? Why not try out Warframe? The community is chill, the veterans are helpful. There are a ton of things to do if you don't mind to farm them or you have the option to pay for them. It is a bit intimidating for new player because there are so many things you can customise, but if you take your time to figure it out or just get a veteran to advise you, you will get the hang of it in no time. The most important thing is Warframe is free to play, no entry fee needed.

• beatddb
    beatddb Member Posts: 565

They could just make a new thread regarding the recent topics (their supposed "survivor bias", the ruin nerf, the doctor nerf, etc) instead of answering them one by one. At least that's what I would do, but what do I know

• Simply_Ghostface
    Simply_Ghostface Member Posts: 22

Dont be a potatoes and apply pressure to gens and you'll be fine. I've noticed that most people have been ignoring hex but imo new Ruin shouldve just been a regular perk than a Hex. This is still gonna pop early game if survivors are good.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

Don't be a potato and just hit great skill checks and you would be fine against the current Ruin.

• johnmwarner

This, I have said this a dozen times and so have well known players, I know of ScottJund for one. Now in order to complete killers will have to tunnel and camp, they can no longer "play nice," and go for the game where they give all survivors 3 hooks before death.

So new players will get even more of what they don't like, this game won't grow, the killers who leave won't be replaced, and in what one or two years the golden goose will be dead.

• BDS22
    BDS22 Member Posts: 146

Your response makes absolutely no sense considering one of the main reasons ruin was changed was due to new players coming into the game brand new. How do you expect them to hit those skill checks? The red skull checks are gone and that will definitely help them gain new players and with the new Xbox and PS5 arriving at the end of the year it's a smart move because they will definitely port the game and will make the game more friendly to new players. So instead of calling people a "potato" how about you give the game a chance and if you can't seem to succeed without ruin (one perk out of how many killer perks?) you might want to evaluate how you play the game.

• johnmwarner

I could say the same, new killers will struggle to catch anyone before all gens are powered. How about learning to counter one perk, see what I did there?

• StevePerryPsychOut
    StevePerryPsychOut Member Posts: 190
    edited January 2020

First they came for borrowed time,

And I said nothing, for I do not run borrowed time.

Then they came for decisive strike,

And I said nothing, for I do not run decisive strike.

Then they came for balanced landing,

And I said nothing, for I do not run balanced landing.

Then they came for ruin,

And there was no one left to speak for ruin.

• Zagrid
    Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000

Last Year After Dark if you are looking for an asymmetrical horror game with game designers that actually care more about their player base than their player base's money

• HexMoriMeMommy
    HexMoriMeMommy Member Posts: 192

Tell me how, as trapper I am supposed to set up, and then make my way across the map before two gens pop.

At this point even with ruin, as a killer I have to accept unless I get potato's I'm losing 3 gens off the bat for not playing a high mobility killer.

• johnmwarner

BT apply to both was stupidly OP, and almost anyone who plays either side.

DS was nerfed yes, but it’s still arguably the strongest Survivor perk in the game, can you say that about Ruin?

Balanced was sort of normalized to not work at all when exhausted, but I agree that may have been too much.

You failed to mention Nurse (deserved nerfs,) Spirit (they went to far,) and forever Freddy which requires two addons and at least three specific perks... something using that much synergy should be freakin strong.

• StevePerryPsychOut
    StevePerryPsychOut Member Posts: 190

Strong overused perks get nerfed, that's the environment we're in now. People cry and point their fingers at each other and nobody shows any sympathy for the other side. That's the meta we've created. If it was a survivor nerf, I would have changed the poem to reflect nurse, spirit, and freddy.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Of that List:

Oni was fixed this patch. I couldn't test him so idk if it was sufficient, but regardless an attempt was made and what I've heard of it is that he's fine now.

Spirit is fine right now. I say this as a Spirit main, I was worried about her being gutted by her update and I was pleasantly surprised when she wasn't.

Freddy was reworked into a far stronger Killer. Yeah I know he got nerfed at one point a few years ago, but the game is the sum of all changes and should not be defined by one patch in isolation.

Legion was not gutted. He was ######### on release, and has stayed that way. In other words, he never had guts in the first place. The only thing that has changed is WHY he sucks, not that he does in fact suck.

Doctor is still in the PTB. If they actually significantly lessen the shock penalty to something more reasonable like 1 second then his chase will have been buffed. The only other real objection I have from there is having snap out of it put you at tier 1, since it makes hitting tier 3 and thus getting access to snap out of it a good thing depending on the doctors addons, making tier 3 a hinderence to the doctor.

So that brings your list down to Nurse and Ruin.

• johnmwarner

Fair enough, I play both sides 50/50 at least for right now. When anyone says either side is the only one to get nerfed it's a fair guess they only play that side. Both survivors and killers have been nerfed, both still have some really strong perks/addons/offerings.

This us for them philosophy almost becomes like real world politics at some point. Once someone has made up their mind any sort of discussion is just for show.

With that being said, a survivor is currently in the White House.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,215

I find it interesting that 1000+ hours survivor mains were complaining about Hex:Ruin. If Hex:Ruin was so popular, did you guys think about perhaps buffing Rainbow map to perhaps disable totem perks instead of deciding to obliterate the only relevant killer totem perk? I can't even remember last time I've seen a survivor use actively use maps. What about improving perks that make landing Great skillchecks easier such as making stake out have more token charges, less time to charge or Removing Injured condition from "This is not happening perk". Heck even making detective hutch work at the start of the match or giving aura reading to small game perk could been viable solution for making hex:ruin less effective. in any case, what's done is done. Totem perks are never going to be viable anymore simply because they never make it to end game and all of your totem perks beyond noed are mid-game risks not worth taking. In any case, I think change somewhat misguided regarding this topic.

As for doctor, I wish shock therapy attack was more threatening in forcing survivors to "play" pallets by making survivors more afraid to loop pallets in risk of being unable to drop them at key times. The current Shock therapy feels like it only helps against unsafe pallets/pallet camping situations which normal killers can acquire hits in such situations. basically it helps you when your already in a winning position which is exactly when you don't need help in loops. I wish it was more base off being able sidestep/juke shock, but giving doctor near full movement so he doesn't lose much distance when charging it. If he lands it, he should get significantly reduced recovery time so he can confirm the hit where as missing shock would punish him. it would make him closer to different version of Huntress where there is more risk/reward aspect to it. Perhaps some tweaking would need occur to make it feel closer to skill shot though I wouldn't be able to determine what degree adjustment would be needed for that to be possible. The current versions of his shock therapy feel like you can just make another loop every time he charges the shock and it seemingly makes his chases longer rather than shorter which sounds objectively bad. In any case, I'm sure after PTB is over, he'll return to his tomb of slumber to collect dust.

• dont_ask_me_again
    dont_ask_me_again Member Posts: 490
    edited January 2020

The problem with this “select group” is that there’s been players with just as many hours as them washed on the side because they may be more free being critical of the game... me and other ex-players, depip squad/other tourni players, and tydetyme aren’t exactly in this select group which seems to be more casual favoured.

Dunno if the devs are just fed up of competitive players but it feels that way... just about every competitive player has agreed generators are busted/survivors control too much of the outcome but at the same time survivor needs to be more fun by having more to do that’s interactive.

Changing ruin really does require doing something about generators at the exact same time of a change... and ruin needs to be stronger than what’s on the ptb. Ruin was basically not picked in tournaments because of how fallible it already was... but it makes (made) games far less stressful to killers over the massive amount of games played where it works and has an effect.

Playing without ruin is incredibly stressful for the killer and depends on the survivors not falling for any kind of tricks. Tricks become learnable and counter-able though.

I dunno if BVHR have a built hate for competitive players in their game but it’s undeniable we’ve been ignored, yes competitive players are roofless and dramatic giving feedback but that’s the nature of people who want something and fight for it, but most games have competitive teams in tournaments in some way (i.e. esports) to balance out a game for long term health... the esports-side usually line-up points of balance and content creators who play a game normally come up with ways to make the game more fun.

Over the years: I’d say survivors and killers have both lost things to do: flashlights, sabotage and exhaustion perks added more to do that isn’t generator based... For killer they’ve lost things to do too stemming from ultra-rares all becoming unpowerful and basic and also basically all killers now are unviable for competitive play even with ruin. (Well there was only nurse but she needed a nerf but along with generators). - these things didn’t get balanced they basically got removed or just have no competitive nature because they’re hard counterable.

The games I can admit felt more relaxing as survivor on the ptb with no ruin but this is completely at the expense of killers being able to properly enjoy themselves. Knowing you only won because your opponents let you isn’t fun. Could ruin get changed - yes but the gameplay loop needed fixing at the same time. The devs haven’t even mentioned this as an issue and it’s getting really concerning now (beyond because red ranks are going to be a meme). The only thing holding balance is people who throw in matches intentionally avoiding the game-play loop entirely as it’s easy to rank up if you pick the right perks... but I can imagine even these players are getting fed up by doing the same thing over and over.

Post edited by dont_ask_me_again on
  • johnmwarner

Survivors clearly in control, you see people doing 200 escapes in a row all the time, I think I’ve seen one killer so a 4K streak

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

I use Corrupt Intervention. It had better results for me personally than ruin did.

• PokemonGOPlayer
    PokemonGOPlayer Member Posts: 179
    edited January 2020

I dislike the changes and I have no real way to "prove" my point other than going into a PTB game and genrush the heck out of the Killer.

And that kind of data won't even be looked at so I have no reason to do so.

Post edited by Mandy on
  • Kenidur
    Kenidur Member Posts: 156

I've played as survivor on the pts and I have to say the problem with the new ruin isn't with how it works, it still with the totem. If the totem is up, the constant regression when not on gens is pretty annoying. Worked a gen to about 75% before hopping off to go save another off the hook. Got back about 30 sec. To a minute and gen was below 25%. When we couldn't find the totem on the new Leary's map, it slowed us down still. However when we found the totem, like always, it as not an issue. 3rd game in, I spawned right next to the totem, it was gone before it could do anything. The totem spawns need to be fixed. Most red ranks know all the locations on the maps and can find it within a minute usually, and as a killer, really drives me nuts when it's out in the open or just inside the killer shack. Make the totems harder to find, harder to get to, and the perk will be more worth while.

• RobMeister88
    RobMeister88 Member Posts: 351
    edited January 2020

Literally everyone learned how to hit skill checks. We all learned how to deal with ruin, why can't these new players do the same? They're called skill checks for a reason, they take skill to do, and the best way for new players to get skill is to deal with it and to hit the skill checks. Everyone also seems to forget that ruin was the perk with the most counter play to it. Here's 5 things that could practically make it useless.

1. Hitting skill checks almost completely negated the effect of ruin, with the exception of not granting the great skill check bonus.
    2. The simple fact that it is a hex, meaning it can be found and destroyed, which would render it useless for the duration of the match even if the killer made optimal plays while it was up.
    3. Toolboxes with add-ons.
    4. The ability for multiple survivors to work on a single gen, which greatly increases the repair speed.
    5. Perks to counter it: Prove Thyself, Stake Out, Resilience, Spine Chill, and Technician.

Now go ahead and tell me how ruin needed to be nerfed when the plethora of existing counterplay to it could almost render it useless, even when it's still active? You think new players wouldn't find this stuff out and use it to counter ruin? I started playing in september and got to rank 1 by New Years Eve, I got good at skill checks and looping quickly. That means new players should be able to achieve skill as quickly as I did. High ranking players (mainly killers) shouldn't have to suffer for the low ranks so that they can have an easy experience. The devs are literally boosting their own player base (the new players) and nerfing the experienced ones. How is that logical in any sense?

• BeanieBoyBob
    BeanieBoyBob Member Posts: 354

Glad I have a VR headset now and ditching this blatant Killer bullying, because Survivor is so mind-numbingly easy to play now. Not even funny.

• kamisen
    kamisen Member Posts: 794

What’s your deal with Almo? At this point it seems as if you’re misinforming people out of spite.

• BeanieBoyBob
    BeanieBoyBob Member Posts: 354

Peanits I know you are a Red Rank Survivor yourself. I've seen you play with the likes of Farmer John, Puppers, etc. Surely you know how easy it is right now to just power through Ruin, or even disable it right? You can see how hard Killers are throwing themselves just to fulfill the Emblem System and now its been made even harder for them. You even use infinites and loops to show how easy the Survivor role is. Surely you mentioned these things to the other devs?

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523

Typically red ranks on both sides- little behind on killer at the moment since I was out of town since the reset. All in all, I went ahead and checked my stats and it turns out I play killer about 53.44% of the time.

I do agree with what you're saying, although I do think we're talking about a best case scenario. You and I may power through it, but to give an example, what if the other guy is playing with a couple of friends who are newer to the game and haven't been practicing skill checks for the last few years? What quite often happens is that first generator will go off, but then nothing else happens as the rest of the team is running around searching for a totem. Then I have to either decide if I should continue doing generators by myself or go cleanse the totem so the others will help out.

I wouldn't base the entire thing on a single scenario, there's far too many variables. I can only speak from my personal experience, and I've had plenty of teammates who can't handle it (after over three years).

My thoughts are about the same as yours in terms of emblems, though. As someone who doesn't use Ruin (or any slowdown perks) myself, I definitely feel it. Thankfully there's also a change to address that aspect, so if someone's concern is their emblem score, it should be lessened at the same time as this change.

• gantes
    gantes Member Posts: 1,611
    edited January 2020

I mean, when matchmaking works properly red rank killers go against good survivors who can hit most skill checks.

I agree with people are saying in this one. I think Ruin should eventually get changed, but I also think survivors who can't hit great skill checks don't belong in red ranks, as much as killers who can't apply pressure.

Unless we're talking about keeping the horrid matchmaking logic that pairs one red rank+3 yellow ranks vs a red rank killer, which is just a bigger problem than most things in this game.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

What about those of us that think the scoring system is complete garbage and makes zero sense? Some of us don't get satisfaction because we get a shiny button, some of us just want a chance to PLAY THE VIDEO GAME FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES.

But hey, what do I know? I only bought the game and spent way too much time playing it.

• gantes

Yeah I'm really baffled they chose to address Gatekeeper instead of, you know, making sure killers don't have to just concede gens with no reasonable counterplay sometimes.

Or fixing the rest of the emblem system. I don't really give a damn about it until there's some resemblance of consistency between different killers. The game telling me I win as Legion while killing no one and had a draw as Billy while having a 4k makes no sense. They should refrain from changing OK parts of the emblem system until the rest of it makes a little bit of sense at least.

• Butcher_Pete
    Butcher_Pete Member Posts: 29

They obviously wouldn’t say that they don’t care. It’s just a guess judging by how dismissive of criticism they have been so far.

• johnmwarner

I think that’s the key, a large percentage of the red rank survivors don’t belong there and I count myself as one of them.

I am not a great looper at all, I play smart though and make good saves, I play efficiently and hit maybe half of my ruin checks. I probably belong in purple ranks?!?

The thing is with the stupid emblem system you almost never actually depip so getting to rank 1 is just a matter of playing enough, doing okay to maintain your rank, and getting an occasional lucky or good game to pip up.

Then problem is players don’t want to admit they don’t belong in red ranks, don’t want to admit they aren’t good enjoy to play against good mind gaming killers, won’t admit how much they hurt their team not being able to do gens and wasting five minutes urban evading the map for totems.

• gantes
    edited January 2020

But it's the same for killers. How many killers in red ranks don't know when to drop chase? When to slug? When to patrol hooks or commit to chasing?

The decision making for most red rank killers is atrocious, just like the survivor gameplay. That's why ranks can't be taken seriously in this game and that's why there's no point making Gatekeeper "more forgiving" when literally everything else about the emblem system is garbage.

EDIT: I see what you mean perfectly because I'm rank 1 in both sides and as of right now I think I deserve it but I've been there for months and the first time I got it I was absolutely horrendous at this game, and stayed that way for a while, still mantaining red ranks.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

I'm sorry you think that. It's not at all how any designer on our team operates. New Ruin went through hours of testing with players ranging from brand new to having thousands of hours in the game. Every designer on the team had feedback on it, plus several programmers, and other people in other disciplines. No fewer than 10 people on the team took a serious look at Ruin before we settled on the current design, but it's probably more like 15.

This is not to say I think people are wrong for disliking it; everyone has different views on this kind of thing. But these changes were not made lightly or in a hurry. This design was first documented in August of 2019. Usually I've already discussed a design with 4-5 different people on the design team before the first documentation, so it likely had its genesis around June or July of 2019.

It's understandable with the way these things drop out of nowhere from the community's perspective for people outside the team to think they are sudden. But I assure you they are not. :)

• BigBubs
    BigBubs Member Posts: 1,131

So many angry children here holy ######### lol