It's time to change ruin to a non hex perk

I mean, consider a HEX PERK as late game perk, what are they thinking?

On certain killers, this perk would be really good with surveillance. But as hex, it is just trash, you have to always run it with thrill of the hunt or it's gone too fast to do anything.

Comments

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Make it regular regression but not a hex.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Is that such a bad thing? They did the same to BL and MoM. Who knows? They could eventually do so to DS too.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

BL is still good, though, I would've liked to have had the fall stun reduction on a cooldown like Q&Q. MoM is just poorly designed.

Ruin was well designed but it was a band-aid. We all know that.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

I have to agree with this, ruin is not a late game perk, where it shines the most is at the beggining of the game, when you can get a lot of regression just by keeping survivors off of gens.

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352

They need to give hexes some sort of effect after they're destroyed. This would allow them to be strong if unbroken and have a reliable effect if the perk gets destroyed. Every hex perk except maybe Haunted Ground and NOED should have some part of the perk remain active, but just not the strongest part.

• Waffleyumboy

We'll have to agree to disagree. I am set firm in my opinion that ruin was poorly designed, it gives a better advantage against worse survivors and is weak against extremely good survivors. Not to mention the frustration it gives newer survivors which was stifling BHVR's income.

I agree with you on BL. It is still a good perk if not the worst or 2nd worst exhaustion perk. Fall stun reduction on cooldown is what I want as well. I can't imagine any other reason to release MoM like that other than grabbing cash.

• Pulsar

Probably the same reason Legion went live. They just didn't know what they had done.

Yes, we shall have to agree to disagree. Though, what do you think of my suggestion above? I feel it makes both party's happy.

• Waffleyumboy

It's a great suggestion, I would love to see it implemented and have other hex perks handled in a similar manner.

• Pulsar
  • kurgan8282
    kurgan8282 Member Posts: 264

it simply needs to be rethought imo, it is impossible for it to be a non hex perk, but as an hex it's terribly weak.

Funny that I saw it running 3/4 times since the nerf. Shows up how useless it is.

• KnotEnthusiast
    KnotEnthusiast Member Posts: 464

I disagree, I think that the fact that they have no effect after they're destroyed is what allows them to be as strong as they are. The hex perks themselves are fine, the problem is that it's basically RNG if you get a totem spawn that's well hidden, or in the middle of an empty bloody field.

• Waffleyumboy

Double regression speed shouldn't trouble survivors who pressure gens efficiently. I can't say for sure though because I have yet to master dbd gameplay theory.

• Pulsar

I haven't either lol. I'm just trying to bounce ideas off of people and so far this appears to be my best one.

• Witas
    Witas Member Posts: 477

Would it be possible for you to share some data on how the new ruin is performing ? Im curious mostly of how much it's used after the change and whether or not the Hex actually stays alive longer since it's a "lower priority".

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,525

I would love to some day, although it's still very early. It typically takes longer for things to settle.

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352

If they could properly hide hex totems well, then it would probably be fine. The problem is that even on the maps with the best totem spots, the current totem placement system is flawed. The fact that there are specific spots on each map where a totem can spawn makes it so that knowledgeable survivors will be able to find the totem fairly easily. You could argue that this is a good thing because the survivors hunting the totem have to spend that time searching for it, but totems aren't ever hidden in anything. The best place a totem can be is around the corner, which takes very little time to check and can easily be checked when moving around. If survivors had to look under things or in things to find the totems, then they would normally be strong enough to warrant being completely destroyed. However, since survivors can stumble upon them so easily, they should have some sort of effect after they are destroyed.

• Omans
    Omans Member Posts: 1,081
    edited February 2020

These days that's every rank, thanks to how messed up the matchmaking is. I played like 15 games today as killer at rank 1 and more than 50 percent of the survivors I went against weren't in red ranks.

So even if they release stats of how the new ruin is performing, I wouldn't trust it. I'm 4k'ing almost every game due to matchmaking diluting the ranks. I'm playing against players that should not be going up against me. One of the games had a brown rank 19 claudette who had only 2 level 1 perks. Easy 4k.

Post edited by Omans on
  • fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

Ruin is really strong with Surveillance. If it isn't found early you can really get a snowball going.

• kurgan8282

lol, now i see where the low ranks survs goes :)

I am rank 9 killer and the weakest I met since couple weeks was a rank 5

• Proxi
    Proxi Member Posts: 62
    1. make ruin a non hex
    2. remove extra progress for great skill checks
    3. keep the 200% regression rate even when the totem is destroyed
  • kurgan8282

I dont get it...you said make it a non hex and then to keep the 200% even when the totem is destroyed...

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

Agreed.

I think it would be fun to play with and against as a non-perk.

It would make survivors work harder to win and ease pressure on the killer. It would work.

• PalletOrWhat
    PalletOrWhat Member Posts: 265

This is not a good idea. I really want them to buff killers, but that would be too much.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

No problem, I think this would be perfect because it's weaker when destroyed, but not completely useless — you just lose the automatic regression. 😁

• JetTheWaffleCat
    JetTheWaffleCat Member Posts: 284

What if there was a middle ground where it doesn't light up until 3-4 minutes into the game? It would fix the issue with it being destroyed 15 seconds into the game and the killer can get value out of it.

• Kenidur
    Kenidur Member Posts: 156

As a hex perk it is easily cleansed before end game, often times before it gets close to having an effect. How about, taking out the hex part and add in "Will only affect the last 2, 3, 4 generators touched."

This would weaken it for early game while making it more effective end game.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Now this I like, and it seems like a fair trade.

So once it's broken it won't be completely gone and it will still have some use.

• kurgan8282

I'm afraid it would be too hard for new survs and they would start to cry out like they did with old ruin.

• korean_zombie
    korean_zombie Member Posts: 442

I remember a similar game with old ruin where the totem lasted like 6 minutes. That 1 game out of 500. Man that was a sweet, sweet game.

• RobMeister88
    RobMeister88 Member Posts: 351

Anything that would make the game harder for survivors, the devs won't do it. Ruin is a joke now at red ranks. Unless the killer initiates a chase with me, I'm not getting off a gen. Either new ruin needs to not be a hex or they need to buff gen regression when kicking it, say 15% at base and buff PGTW from 25 to 35 but make it to where you need two hooks to activate it.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    edited February 2020

Oh of course.

I play both survivor and killer. Whilst I enjoy survivor most of the time, I rarely have an enjoyable killer match.

But even with all the tunneling and NOED by killers..red rank survivors are the absolute worst offenders. Absolutely abhorrent. Their behaviour, along with preposterous match-making, is the true rot of DBD.

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620

Cool, but new ruin is ######### on Hag anyway, I'd like a working perk more than useless themed perk...

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620

I agree it would be too strong, but there are few things that are wrong with current ruin.

1. Ruin is NOT useful early game. By early game I mean everything up to the first down/hook. Up to this point, Ruin is useless. After that you START applying pressure on gens, but everything after first hook is called MID GAME. So Ruin is useful MID AND LATE GAME not early.
    2. Ruin is not useful on Hag. What Hag needs is EARLY GAME setup time before the first chase. And Ruin buys you time after that. I agree that you can get a lot of Ruin value if you trap gens, but Hag has more than enough pressure with just her traps, so Ruin is not needed.
    3. Ruin is cleansed too fast. As I said before, Ruin is useful Mid and Late game, and most Hexes are cleanses Early or Early-Mid game. Ruin needs some sort of PROTECTION to survive that long. Good example of Mid-Late game Hex is DEVOUR HOPE, that activates only after it starts being useful. Ruin could use something similiar if you want to keep it a High Pressure = High Value perk.
  • Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

I don't believe it would be. I usually am arguing for balance, and tend to side more with some survivor issues over killer, even though I play killer primarily. Ruin is a great step for supporting a more active game play, but it goes bye-bye too fast. Here is why I say it is not too powerful:

1. In order to suffer the effects of Ruin, you have to leave the gen. If you are working the gen, you get zero negatives.
    2. Survivors learn to get back on gens when they can, or suffer the penalty. This could partially discourage the immersed player hiding in the corner because the killer once came by their gen five minutes ago.
    3. The numbers can be tweaked. If it is too powerful, lower the regression rate some until it is in the right spot.
    4. If it is too effective, that is either because the killer is doing the right thing and pushing them off gens a lot, or the survivors are being too immersed and won't re-engage the objective.

I think the perk encourages a more active game play, but it is not powerful enough to warrant being a hex perk. Hex perks are typically game changing, and this one is just not that.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

OR:

After hex ruin got destroyed, generators will regress automatically but with regular kicking speed.

• TheOptimiser
    TheOptimiser Member Posts: 138

As a red rank survivor main, Ruin has transformed from being a perk that can put serious issues into the game because of it's functionality(and the fact I sometimes struggle hitting Great Skill Checks due to lag...) to one that's simply a joke in the current state. Whenever I see Ruin, I tell my teammates oh it's Ruin, one useless perk is used, 3 other perks remained for the killer...I won't even bother 1 SECOND to search for it, since it's a waste of time...And I have Inner Strength so I usually cleanse 1-2 totems to activate the perk throughout a match, the amount of times I encounter Ruin or any other Hex is insanse, once every 2-3 matches I cleanse a Hex totem the killer has...

NOED is the only Hex Totem worth of it at the moment, because gen rushing leads to not cleansing all totems and when NOED is active and the pop-up appears on screen(when the first survivor is downed) it causes panic thoughout the rest of the survivors and from a 4 man surv escape it can turn easily into a 4 kills for the killer if the survivors do some mistakes....NOED is the only Hex perk worth of its value, the rest of them are simply a joke, even Haunted Grounds!

• Pulsar

There is a reason I didn't do that. That is basically just Hex: Ruin if it wasn't a Hex and they have said they didn't want to do that.

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632

Why not add that it doesn't effect survivors that are not injured? Like if an injured survivor let's go of a generator, that generator will immediately start regressing. It changes the goal alteration from totems to healing. Then it no longer needs to be a Hex perk.

• kurgan8282
    edited February 2020

agreed.

This happened thanks to the free hands they received along the last months.

The percentage of people trying tonuse this game just to bully the players who are playing killer is ridicolous and it s making the game highly toxic.

At this point all i am waiting for is a valid alternative to dbd to stop playing it after 3 years.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

I can honestly say at this point I fear new Ruin as survivor more than old Ruin.

Having gen progress deleted is far worse than having it stalled.

If you commit to a 3 min chase right from the start of the game though then obviously you wont get much out of if.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303

Buffing ruin or making it not a Hex still isn't tackling the big issue that's been a problem for a very long time, and that's weaker killers. They still weren't great with the old ruin, but were manageable. That's where the focus needs to go, to be honest. Not new cosmetics, not new levels, not new characters. Fix what's been broken. Your outcome shouldn't rely on a certain character running meta perks. You should be able to apply the same pressure no matter what killer you choose. A lot of people can't main there favorite killer because they would just get embarrassed and destroyed.

• hocrux
    hocrux Member Posts: 212

Stop ranting, hex is based on hag's background/stories, Hag literally translate to witch/voodoo and hex is a curse a witch used. Read her backstory and try to relate instead of being obnoxious and demanding things to go your way, work on a solution a good one would be ruin totem is masked and not glowing thus people have to break the right ones or have multiple ruins up kinda like haunted grounds where if the wrong totem is picked that particular survivor becomes exposed and killer gets to see the aura for awhile

• Keezo
    Keezo Member Posts: 454

imo it just needs a numbers buff, maybe make it 300% or hell, make it 400% 1 second for 1 charge