DBD needs to bring scary back.

Mushwin
Mushwin Member Posts: 4,583

We need to see more gore, horror, blood, we need to see more scary original stuff, wherewolves, vampires, pinhead heck even Jaon we need to see terror we need to see this game be more horror come on devs!

Comments

• JC316
    JC316 Member Posts: 693

You either need a huge terror radius, or a super small terror radius, and no red stain at all. The scariest builds in this game are Scratched Mirror Meyers, Coxcombed Clapper Wraith, or giant terror radius doc on The Game. It's just not that scary when you know the killer is coming from 32m away and you can see 360*.

• Mushwin

sorry but blood and gor will add it better to then some cowboy shooting his gun, we need dripping blood, scary, gor, guts heck anything you can think of as this game just just getting none scary

• Mushwin

no that does not matter, we need killer, need to feel the forth coming of someone been scary, something dominant, something very much to have chill worthy

• Mushwin
  • Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

I agree a little more of the usual horror aspects would be great, but think about it. You watch a few horror films, and you become used to seeing someone being butchered. It gets old fast and no longer has the lasting effect it had the first time. So no matter how much horror is added, we eventually grow immune to the effects. Though, the recent moris (Oni and Deathslinger) have certainly added a more horror vibe for me. Seeing someones tounge being torn out and them having their head smashed in, or a hook just flying through their face, that's creepy!

• Mushwin

what? and why do BHVR say blood and gor may be in this video who are they kidding?

• Mushwin

yes but now most horro is aout ghosts and paranormal, but least they can try right? just would be good to tey then never bother

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

Oh I agree. I feel the more paranormal sort of horror really has me freaked more than just the usual hack and slash horror. I think it's more the unknown that is more a fear. Someone with a knife, we know whats coming, but a paranormal effect, for example, The Ring, or The Grudge, there's that suspense that something is going to happen but we don't know what. So I get what you mean. I'd love to see more killers like that. Spirit is sort of there, but still doesn't really scream scary for me.

• Angel_di_Soufre
    Angel_di_Soufre Member Posts: 34

Lighting and Atmosphere, that’s what we’re missing

• Huntar
    Huntar Member Posts: 848

What about bringing back the old atmosphere, thick fog, lack of information for survivors? This game was genuinely scary and atmospheric on release, but everything that made it so has been stripped out over time.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

maybe, but until then people will think its awesome, unlike it is now, I call that a win personally

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

No, you cannot bring scary to a game people play 100's of hours, if you watch a movie 30 times you're not going to be scared or jump at the same things again, but when you're in control of the character it takes even more away from the horror.

• Tarvesh
    Tarvesh Member Posts: 765

If you think blood and gore are what make something scary then play Call of Duty. Or Mortal Kombat. Truly horror giants.

• Foxfire47
    Foxfire47 Member Posts: 232

I seriously would love to see Pinhead. He would be a great addition to DbD and fit right in. To be honest, with the rework of Lery's and chase themes for each killer, it's starting to go back the scary factors that I've seen in the game before.

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

I approve of this comment. But I have zero faith they'll do him justice. Part of his appeal is when summoned, he can just as easily eviscerate you as he would in debating you on the merits of religion. In this game's current state, no killer is scary when the surv team can bully everyone backed by multiple second chance perks.

• deadbodyman62
    deadbodyman62 Member Posts: 43

A zombie-ish cowboy stalking you with a rifle is pretty scary at times. The game is scary by its moments. Doctor is not scary to look at but when he pops out to get you that moment is terrifying

• Mrjuice
    Mrjuice Member Posts: 94

A good thing would be to brighten up some of the darker skins and overall reduce the brightness of all maps, like what they did with Lery's. Also a little more fog would be kind of nice.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

I agree with you somewhat.

It's the reason I don't care for the new map. The bright sky just throws me off a lot, doesn't even feel like DBD.

• Kai6864
    Kai6864 Member Posts: 377
    edited February 2020

I’d like DbD to be scary. Yet with gore, blood, darkness... it’s not going to help any. Darkness ruins the gameplay, look at the Yamaoka Estate - far too dark to play with Blendettes and any survivor with dark cosmetics. Playability should stand above atmosphere. Gore and blood is cool and all but it is very much present in the game. I don’t know about you but splattering blood on my screen isn’t going to make me scream. The horror aspect gets drained out of all games anyway. Look at Resident Evil 2 Remake or Slender. Once ago, that was scary but you get used to it, numb as @Peanits stated.

• fleshbox
    fleshbox Member Posts: 494

The only horror i see are the bright as day two legged people in my lobbies. This will go one of two ways.

They are good or they suck. If they are good it is not going to be a nice game for sure.

• illusion
    illusion Member Posts: 887

The only way to make it scary again is to give the survivors a reason to fear the killers. New players have that fear, but low rank survivors lost that fear long ago. You can't have a scary game when the survivors feel comfortable enough to mock the killers.

• ausanimal
    ausanimal Member Posts: 542

They could change a lot off things but until they change 1 thing the game won't be scary and that's the killers, no one is scared off them and they are giving survivors no reason to be. Take F13 even after a lot off hours in that i can still scare my friends in it why because off the ability's Jason has it allows you to scare people in it still i.e standing behind a door with stalk on and waiting for someone to open it just to see Jason standing there with no idea i was there i still scare people by doing that.

Most times people get jumped scared by a killer in this game is when it's stealth killer they could change the atmosphere as much as they want but unless the killer is able to scare people there won't be that scare/horror factor in this game.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

This just feels like a lazy reasoning. What's the point of having horror icons if you don't have any horror in your game? I agree with OP, DBD needs more horror in it. Give us spookier atmospheres and a jumpscare now and then. Let us be on edge, not mindlessly holding M1 or W till we win/loose.

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694
    edited February 2020

I get what your saying and agree scary would be nice but sadly we would eventually get desensitized to it. Just like we have now regardless of what devs do in a month or so someone else will post a similar thread.

Quickest way to make things scarier is to upgrade the music. A soft suspenseful ambiance music when not in a chase and more blood pumping chase music.

• Foxfire47
    Foxfire47 Member Posts: 232

You know, you actually make a very good point. I would hate seeing survivors bullying Pinhead because, like you said, he could easily eviscerate them. Imagine Pinhead being pallet stunned or blinded by a flashlight. Even Pinhead doesn't deserve that because he is an amazing horror icon that would not take any BS from anyone. So I 100% agree with you on that. As cool and amazing as Pinhead would be, DbD cannot do him any justice with how survivors can be.

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632

Exactly! Make it harder and more stressful to play survivor, and nerf the tools that directly ignore the horror aspects to the game. Then the game will be fun again when you think you're safe, and then ... BAM! Myers bursts through the wall next to you.

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267
    edited February 2020

While i wish it to be scary. After you play any horror game many times it stops being scary. Adding new elements to an existing horror game will make it scary for some people but then after playing the new content it won't be scary again, in my opinion.

• DVD420
    DVD420 Member Posts: 31

We've seen the devs are implementing a bit more of that, in the Lery's rework for example, there's a goddamn Mori spot now, and it looks incredible, like it's straight out of a horror movie. Not to mention the windows, and all the atmospheric light seeping in. It's super cool.

Point is, I think we can expect to see a bit more of that as more maps get their reworks.

• I agree, and I feel like it would be really easy to do. All that needs to happen is for the maps to be reworked and more detailed. Also, there should be more themed maps such as a graveyard, haunted mansion, evil carnival, train station, etc. It's all about the aesthetic, which I feel is incredibly weak. It's not that we're desensitized to it, it's the fact that it wasn't scary to even begin with!

Each Killer should have their own individualized chase music, there should be a Perk to either increase terror radius throughout the whole map or have it to where the Killer becomes Undetectable; that could be linked to a Hex: Totem.

There's a lot that can be done to make this game scary.

• ApeOfMazor
    ApeOfMazor Member Posts: 471

I mean I agree with you but how are you gonna say original stuff then list things that are so unoriginal it hurts...

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

Thank you very much. For the longest time I wanted him in the game because for all the flack I give the devs, one of the things they do well is great design and aesthetics with a lot of the killers and they do the licensed ones justice in that aspect. But like OP wrote, there's no fear factor in a lot of the game anymore. The way to make it scary again is to give them the ability to kill outright. From a gameplay standpoint, that means ivory mori in the base kit, but when there's a threshold of more gen progress than hooks to compensate for how fast gens get done. A killer's job is to kill, not play whack a mole with gens.

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 604

It just needs a bit more of a dark atmosphere to it.

Definitely lighting and sound could be worked on in this regard.

Also, add a horror theme to the icons and items. For example, I always found the item chests to look very clean and tidy, like something from Ikea for a child's bedroom.

• Forge
    Forge Member Posts: 33

They could start by adding the Alien Xenomorph. Might be more frightening than the Hag's pop ups

• AtomP
    AtomP Member Posts: 23

Nothing will make this game scary until you balance the killer into the power role. What's scary about a killer you can loop through 5 safe loops into the first hit into 5 more loops into the DH into 5 more loops into all the gens being done? The game will never be scary as long as the survivors are the power role.

• Jasonisanicefella
    Jasonisanicefella Member Posts: 377

as long as you don't make maps as dark as a moonless night just to "bring back scary", the Yamaoka maps are a disaster

• TerminatorGuy
    TerminatorGuy Member Posts: 434
    edited February 2020

And there is a way to do something that won't even need that much blood and gore to make it scary again. What we need is a Jack the Ripper chapter. We need a dark 1800's London setting with empty streets late at night. Only gas lamps and candlelights from the buildings would be visible. Hearing loud footsteps throughout the game as Jack the Ripper hunts you down would be amazing,

If he was a playable character in games such as AC Syndicate and even Identity V(which your dev team helped ). People absolutely loved him in both games and the response was from their communities were pretty positive. If Ubisoft and Netease did it. you guys can too. Us fans will love BHVR more than we already do :)

Post edited by TerminatorGuy on
  • GHOSTfaceP3
    GHOSTfaceP3 Member Posts: 1,364

The only time I “get” that scary feeling is against trapper,spirit or a good nurse on ps4 but it’s not really scary lol I would however prefer more blood ..add more blood then make a killer around blood kind of like oni tbh

• fleshbox
    fleshbox Member Posts: 494

The only thing that is scary about this game are the 4 people that have to wait 20 to get a game.

• grayon444
    grayon444 Member Posts: 757

I would like them to up the ambient for survivors and rework all the maps in the game and make them more aesthetic.

Also adding blood and gore would help but this isn't the most important aspect.

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864

Letting survivors have dark outfits doesn't add to the scary aspect? They had to lighten them because some maps like Yamaoka are really dark and killers can hardly see. I'm color blind so seeing black against a darker black survivor is already annoying

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620
    edited February 2020

I do agree that DbD should be scary but... How? We are afraid or scared of the unknown basically. And I don't mean about the jumpscares. I mean you hear a hum... "oh, it's Huntress", you hear a bell... "oh, it's Wraith" How could you be scared of something that you already know? Let's suppose RE, you might know Nemesis will appear but you don't know how, when.And in the meanwhile you're focused in another task then... BAM. Nemesis appears through a window.

• Mushwin

A try is what i guess can happen? atmosphere, lighting, turning night to day slowly as it is "dead by daylight" lol scarier looking outfits, though i am impressed with the new ghost face, strange noises, eerie ones, jump/pop scares from floors/ceilings/walls, blood and gor, howling, wind bat like noises. A suspense, noise over the heart beat a little to cloud it a little, thunder, weather, lightening, these are all off the top of my head currently, i know people have had many suggestions.

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

Incorporate dismemberments?

Incorporate a killer who excels at jump scares (I know there’s scratched mirror Myers, but I mean someone where that’s his base M.O.).

Incorporate environmental tension (steam pipes burst in your face sometimes. Meteors crash by your feet on occasion. Floors unexpectedly crumble and fall with you, even though you’ve run across that spot 5 times before with no trouble. 2-5 windows on each map have broken glass shards - Use them at your own risk. On and on...)

Incorporate predatory wildlife

Incorporate opportunistic features. Tools around the map that might help you, but might also fail you when you need them most. Thorny bushes that conceal you, but also injure you. This increases feelings of desperation.

Incorporate lasting injuries. Broke your ankle? I recommend stealth over boldness! Got your hand chopped off? Maybe working gens isn’t your strength this match.

Running into things should hurt (but not injure). Have you ever hit a barn wall with your face at full speed? I think I would be stunned for a moment!

BTW, where applicable, these suggestions should apply to both roles. (Imagine the killer fighting off a coyote. He tries to injure and scare it rather than kill it so that it can still pressure survivors too!)