Add 'Avoid Player' feature

coppersly
coppersly Member Posts: 2,318

I'm tired of the toxic community in this game that spend all day trying to make it as unfun as possible for everyone else. Instead of doing clever and long term ideas to solve this, I propose we just institute an avoid player feature. This will hopefully lead to less toxic games the longer you use it.

I know it has downsides, but honestly I already wait 10+ minutes for a game sometimes. I'm ok with waiting 15 or even 20+ if it means I KNOW I'm avoiding the toxic people, and even if I'm not I won't be dealing with them in the future.

I've given up on balance for the game, at least let me remove the toxic reoccurring people from my experience so that I might sometimes have fun in this "game"

Comments

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794

There's a "block player" function on PC. It might only block messages though? I'm actually not sure.

• coppersly

Eventually though everyone they come up against will avoid them too, leading to insanely long que times because they've avoided nearly everyone in their elo and everyone they do play against just avoids them in the future. Still better than now where there's no mechanic at all to stop or reward proper play.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

How it would be unfair? It would be extremely helpful against hackers and SWF.

• carnage4u
    carnage4u Member Posts: 338
  • coppersly
    edited October 2020

Yes this is a problem, but it eventually solves itself:

If you avoid better players then eventually you'll be in noob stomping town before shortly being kicked out into desolate players town. If you abuse the system it literally fixes itself given enough time.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,767

that's what i said in my comment. you'll go into desolate players town before quitting the game due to severe issues with queue times. it's harmful for the game overall.

• Schinsly
    Schinsly Member Posts: 176

this isnt true lol, it will prevent you from playing the killer unless they are the only killer in queue, so yes you can use the block player @TheWarNung

• coppersly

If you're abusing the system. As far as I'm concerned if you're trying to abuse it for easier matches you shouldn't be playing in the first place. As it stands right now you can do just that and there is nothing in the game to stop it. Ranks were never any good at it and MMR is still a ways away.

This has some start-up costs and problems but they go away eventually. Our current system is band-aid after band-aid and it's starting to fall off piece by piece.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,958

no that's not accurate, there is no way to block players or characters in DbD that's integrated into the game

• Schinsly

yes it is when block someone in game you will never go against them unless there are no killers in queue

i literally have helped developed a queue viewer, this is accurate.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    edited October 2020

I mean, the easiest way around this is to simply limit the number that can be avoided at once; make it a list. Overwatch started with 1 avoid per person, and worked it up to 3 over a very large amount of time, for example.

It would be a massive positive, since it would skip the whole waiting for a lobby for a year, into finding that a person who literally suicided on first hook in the first 30 seconds of the game, twice in a row, is in your lobby and so having to dodge them. Repeatedly.

• Mandy

We do not have that feature integrated into DbD

• coppersly

That could be a possible implementation too. I'd like to have more than 3 though, something like ~15, ~20 seems reasonable.

• SunderMun
    edited October 2020

Idk, I feel 15-20 would be far too high. Queue times would skyrocket.

• SunderMun

Their post numbers mean nothing. But yeah, their insight into the inner workings of the matchmaking system is questionable, at best.

• Schinsly
    edited October 2020

anyways theres nothing i can do to show you its true but like if theres anyone you dont wanna go against then block them :)

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,767

I know that they usually don't mean anything, but would you trust Orion with his 15k posts or someone with about 100 posts on a subject matter, particularly when Orion has addition insight into it, and a trustworthy source to back up said insight.

Replace Orion with MandyTalk and you got the situation.

• Mandy

Please remain respectful when posting on our forum @Schinsly there's no need of comments like that.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,385

If the devs ever add this feature, which I hope they don't, you can guarantee there will be a bunch of posts complaining about how their queue times have suddenly increased significantly.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

How we are gonna fight against toxicity when we can't even avoid them?

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,385

69K Players not considering that these players can be playing in different regions and be in different ranks. If you start blocking people who play at the time you play, in your region, and around your rank. Your queue time will increase.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

That's also just on Steam. That number does not count cross platform players. Still, the point is that it would take a LOT of blocking to make a substantial dent in the amount of people you'd face. I'm not even claiming it isn't possible, it'd just be a lot of work.

Also, like I said, I understand why they don't have the option in the game, and in fact agree with it not being there. Having it, however, wouldn't break the game.

• coppersly

Yes that's exactly the point. Most people won't be using it often, that leaves people who abuse it and those who are blocked as the only major groups negatively affected by it. Of those sub-groups only players who are disproportionately blocked because of their skill will be extremely far and few between. From the devs POV they claim this game isn't competitive and won't balance for such things so those players are already left out, nothing new if they have slightly longer que times. They suffer, but everyone else gains.

I don't care if toxic people or people trying to abuse the system are suffering long que times. That's actually great because I don't want those kind of people in the game at all. If they want to try and abuse it and pay the que time price that's on them.

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864

I mean why can't there be a limit? Like you can block 10 people max and only if you have played against them.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

I agree on how heavily it could be abused, but perhaps if it were restricted to 5 or 10 slots? That way it would have to be strongly considered before using the block function?

• For most of you, "toxic" means you took an L and you're pissy about it XDDD if "avoid player" was a genuine option then 90% of the player base would be purged and you'd cry about the devs neglecting matchmaking problems

• Ellistrae
    Ellistrae Member Posts: 11

I'd be satisfied with them just oh, I dunno, fix matchmaking to begin with so I'd stop getting put up against SWF groups that are all ten ranks higher than me.

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 650

Block lists have been requested many times for a long, long time and just been completely ignored by the powers that be. They would rather punish the victims of the toxicity they encourage than give people anyway to avoid it. Being able to block the worst of the worst in this game would be a dream come true. I just played a game where the killer was slugging and tunneling with 5 gens up, tunneled every single hook, broke off chases to tunnel, the match ended with 3 DCs and 1 guy bleeding to death while the killer nodded at him and watched. The killer pipped up and went from a rank 2 to a rank 1. So his horrendous behavior was just rewarded by this game and everyone else was punished. If I never encountered that (fill in the blank) again it will be a day too soon.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,770

Blocking on Xbox stops messages and requests/party invites on Xbox, but nothing lobby wise for DBD. I assumed this would be the same on PC.

• BetaBytes
    BetaBytes Member Posts: 19

the developers should put in a penalty system for killers that are toxic! like make the game fair by giving tunnelled or camped players a boost. players shouldn't have to get -1 PIPS when killers are just tunneling and camping them THE ENTIRE GAME.

What the heck is wrong with these killers lately? They are all just idiot campers/tunellers!

• Letche
    Letche Member Posts: 96

The people who choose to abuse the system by blocking everyone or being blocked by everyone until there's no one left to play against are the kind of people you probably shouldn't be vouching for to be in your game in the first place.

Simple solution would be to limit it to a handful of uses so that you'd only use it for your worst encounters, like getting targeted ~20 games in a row by the same killer which is said to be a bannable offense, yet it never happens and blocking them doesn't work and you don't know who your killer is until you're in the match so there's no way to take matters into your own hands and dodge them. There's no reason it can't be implented when PUBG has the same ######### and as far as I'm aware, there it's unlimited.

Especially now that if you want to find a match within a reasonable amount of time you're forced to stay crossplay where us console users are now subjected to dealing with the literal hackers they can't take care of. Had a match the other day where every pallet spawn location had a pallet, all the gens popped in less than a minute and the two PC players left immediately while the killer, the other console player and I were stuck in an infinite EGC. The killer ended up DCing which kicked us out, I got a 5 minute matchmaking ban and the other poor console player got a 15 HOUR BAN. For what?? Why SHOULDN'T we be allowed to avoid playing with people that could do this to us?

Although I wouldn't expect you to know what something reasonable looks like when you ban people from the forums, where opinions are meant to be shared and discussed no matter how much you personally disagree, because they have a dissenting opinion. By your own logic of avoidance, you keep banning people like that to keep them quiet and these forums will be nothing but a circle jerk echo chamber where nothing will ever change because everyone you agree with are the only ones allowed an opinion.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Would it even help? Do you often run into the same people?

I don't ussually look at names so i actually have no clue

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688

Unless you get the same person like 2 times or more and they behave the same, I believe judging someone from a single match is a mistake. I myself behave in different ways if I'm playing alone or with friends, if the killer is this or that, if I have not been hooked or I'm on the last hook or if I am doing well as a killer or badly.

I remember a match, some time ago, where another survivor was t-bagging the killer so much, making the killer rage after them, then dropping pallets and blinding them. After the match I messaged the survivor, asking why he was so mean to the killer. He answered he had the challenge to blind the killer x times and it was why he was doing all he could to make to the killer go for them.

So, if I had not messaged the survivor and I had that avoid player button, I would surely use it. He was not toxic to me, but I didn't like it. Same with people I see some times, when in a match they are very helpful and in another they hide in a corner, afraid of doing anything. One match is not enough to judge a person as a whole.

• coppersly

This is a reasonable and fair counter point. Most instances I see myself using this feature would be to avoid extremely toxic people I've seen just once as opposed to the rarer repeat offenders. You make an excellent point that that specific match is an anomaly for them, but I'd still rather err on the safe side.

• BubbaMain64
    BubbaMain64 Member Posts: 546

That system would be way too abusable. Just learn how to brush it off, after all it's just a video game.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

That would only be true if DBD had an actual block feature built in.

The only block feature for DBD on pc is via Steam which is just the game launcher. The block feature there has only ever blocked messages when it comes to DBD as this game does not use Steam servers or matchmaking system like some others, the game uses BHVR's own system.

This is why pre dedicated servers players used mlga to flag others and dodge.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

How would they know who is toxic? If it's by Survivor vote, then no. You could M1 a Survivor, run to the corner of the map, wait 10 seconds, go back and M1 someone else, work your whole way through their team like that, never hook the same person twice in a row, and hand out foot massages as they walk out the exit gates and still have some nerd screaming "CAMPER TUNNELER REPORTED I AM LITERALLY DYING TED CRUZ BRAAAAAAAAP" in the post game lobby.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know "not all Survivors". It's still common enough, though. Especially the Ted Cruz and emoted fart noise.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793

The devs will never do this. I haven't played a single multi-player game that has this as a feature. And for good reason, it is very abusable.

• DariusB92
    DariusB92 Member Posts: 122

I think it's a good idea but alot of comments are pretty legit too. I 100% am behind your message because I too am soo tired of it. As a killer ,I get to endure toxic 3/4 people teams who tea bag at exits and pallets, body blockers or just coming in with tier 3 perks all the same (PT,BT,Spinechiller,DH,OOO). These perks alone can be dealt with but a whole team on comms are usually being offensive with them not using them defensively. Only ones who ever think it's okay are the ones who do these things and play survivor main with their friends. It makes being a high rank killer unwanted. I think either lobbies should be split to being swf and solo Q or limit number of teams in a particular lobby.

• Gamegain55
    Gamegain55 Member Posts: 25

I think a really good idea to reduce toxicity is to implement a perk that exposes and lets you mori a survivor who crouches repeatedly in front of you, and that number changes randomly between 3-7 times so people can’t counter it. if they implemented that perk killers who get ultra frustrated could bring it so they can be done with toxic players.