What's the one thing...

Mandy
Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,743

I've seen this on a couple of threads now: What's the one thing you wish you had known when you were a new player - that one tip that would help you immensely in game?

For me, when playing killer, I wish I had known that the survivors could see your red stain (it took me a while to figure this out).

Comments

• Senpavo
    Senpavo Member Posts: 105

That both walking and running leave scratch marks.

I crouched THE WHOLE time.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

It's hard to pick just one thing, especially since I went in knowing a few things already.

Basic Looping would probably be the biggest game-changer though. You pick up bad habits, and they're hard to break. I had no idea what looping was until I watched someone on youtube.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,743

yeah timings of things is pretty hard to learn, I'll agree there, it took me a while to get the timing of the flashlight down, even now I still often start it too early.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,607

This, and that as a surv I should be doing something at all times, be it totems, gens, healing, saving, something beyond popping by myself over there.

As killer, how utterly enjoyable to it to yoink a surv off what they were doing. Teaches them head-on-a-swivel and bring extra underwear!

• hatchking
    hatchking Member Posts: 312

Locker bad

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,133

That Self-Care and Urban Evasion aren't needed and they hold you back from learning faster.

• Karao_Ke
    Karao_Ke Member Posts: 1,221

As killer, I didn't know how to lunge for the longest time. I actually found out how to do this because I read some tips on the DBD subreddit. If it wasn't for that, I wonder how long it would've taken me to figure that one out, lol.

As survivor, I didn't know doing stuff such as running to lockers and fast-vaulting triggered a notification for the killer. I eventually found out after I played a few killer matches myself. That, and the killer always found me.

Bonus: Thought self care was OP. Couldn't play without spine chill, still can't.

• Karao_Ke
    Karao_Ke Member Posts: 1,221

100% this. I've definitely become a lot less competitive over the past year, but the stress is still there. Even if I was having a really good game, sometimes I'd still get frustrated at being outplayed rather than impressed. But now, I just go with the flow. Am I still nervous? Yes. But do I take it seriously serious? No.

At the end of the day, we're all just here to have fun.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,118

Exposed only means killer can down you with one hit, not that they can see your aura.

Change buttons immediately so pallet drop isn't same button as heal.

Had no idea for longest time that BT is a perk not something base kit and that's why some players would pull me off hook in front of killer and I wouldn't go down when they hit me. Needing to mend also confused me, didn't understand why I could heal without a medkit while mending but still not be fully healed.

That even though the tutorial has you attempt escape you shouldn't immediately attempt escape every match on first hook.

As killer know when to break off a chase.

• shiffpup2
    shiffpup2 Member Posts: 131

How the Shrine of Secrets worked, because then I wouldn't have spent shards on characters I don't play just because I wanted their perks

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

I wish i knew that i could do a lunge attack and that bubba can use multiple charges in one swing animation.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,142

Its the head now. Before it was the neck. (Where the killers camera is)

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,271

A visual indicator of what scratchmarks look like when I played survivor. Had no idea what they were for a long time even as killer. I just saw them and thought "survivor is this way" instead of understanding what caused them. The tutorial if that ever gets an overhaul could better explain this along with a vast number of things.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,545

That the grind in this game qas only going to get bigger the more I played

• PerfectlyPink
    PerfectlyPink Member Posts: 435

I wish I was told not how to learn how to play. This game is a lot like For Honor. It starts out fun, challenging, but fun. The more you learn about how the game actually works, and the meta and such, it becomes less and less fun. What used to be a scary, unique, and fun game turned into a frustrating, repetitive, slog of a game

Getting better at the game really wasn't worth it

• horrortale_sans
    horrortale_sans Member Posts: 651

yah until i realized there was stealth killers in the game this happend alot some times i would get close enough to pig to realize she had a knife Ghostface I started realizing that when you watch him he like glows white then I started watching videos about this game and realized my mistake with pig and ghost face I thought it was a Survivor cosmetic

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

Efficiency as survivor

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

You don't need to hide in the corner/locker for 2 minutes every time you hear the heartbeat

Also it's not a good idea to drop pallets in advance so they serve as a barricade while you're working on a gen

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    edited January 2021

I have never seen a new player properly understand the hook escape/struggle mechanic. They always try to escape, because both the tutorial and the button prompt text imply that this is something they should do. The struggle timer is also excessively unforgiving, and if you don't already know you're gonna need to mash the spacebar, the hook will kill you before you have a chance to really get with the program. It makes for a miserable first experience.

Speaking of the tutorial, while the survivor tutorial is a lot better than it used to be, it does not teach you anything about pallets or looping. This seems like a bizarre oversight. (I have not bothered to do the newer killer tutorial yet.)

Also, the entire Bloodweb system is both intimidating and confusing. It is overwhelming to a new player, and the grindiness is immediately presented in a real massive uphill-battle way (which is accurate, but also scares people away). You cannot begin to enjoy this game without doing a bunch of homework, which sucks. I have had a lot to say about the Bloodweb system here on this forum so I won't belabor the point, but it needs a redesign to uncouple the increasingly insurmountable perk grind from everything else.

I'd love to see the new player churn numbers, because I bet they are out of control. Ensuring a very negative first experience in your game drives new players away, and DBD is one of the biggest perpetrators of this that I have ever seen in a video game.

• TauNkosi
    TauNkosi Member Posts: 282

That the tracks we left behind while running were bright red scratch marks that could be seen across map. I thought I was leaving behind faint footprints.

• I think being taught the concept of how perks work in the tutorial would have been something I'd like to have known ,It was a real slap to the face once I got into the wetworks of the game and got me off put for a good while, took me awhile to understand how perks work and all of that jaz

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I wish I had known that DbD is not even remotely the game that's advertised. That's not to say I don't find it fun, it's just that DbD is advertised as hide-and-seek but it's gameplay is... Not that.

• Snowstruck
    Snowstruck Member Posts: 564
  • danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,830

Not to attempt escape off the hook of course.

• How truly abusive some SWF and really a large part of the community can be.

I haven't played DBD in a few days now, hoping to leave it for good. I would have rathered know a couple years ago how bad it was and that things wouldn't get any better no matter how much time I put into the game.

I feel kinda stupid for putting in all the hours I have now; and for the money spent. Wasn't all bad I suppose, but the bad sure seems to outweigh the good...I think it would have been better if I never tried to play killer in the first place. Survivor has never been much of a problem though.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,808

As survivor, it was hard to know/understand what gave the killer a loud noise notification and what didn't (including the fact that some things only give a loud noise indication if the killer's near you, while others give a loud noise notification universally).

As killer, it was hard to know that some of the killers had sound cues other than the heartbeat. So, based on the perk/power descriptions, I'd think I had perfectly silent stealth, but actually survivors would be hearing other noises to alert them.

• Karkashan
    Karkashan Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2021

I wish I had known when I first started out that the hook progression was solely time based. My first couple matches were as survivor and I kept getting hit on hook so I thought that's what you were supposed to do to get the bar to go down faster.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

When I first started playing killer, I didn't know about the advanced mind games you could play.

And when I first started playing survivor, I didn't understand the power of looping. While playing immersed was fun, I should have been focusing on my chases.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

I wish had known that pallets and windows were completely ineffective against certain killers sometimes distance is the only way to play.