How many solo survivors do not want to use voice communications?

I keep reading on this forum that

• one way to balance this game is to add voice communication for everyone.

• it is impossible to remove SWF at this point because this would hurt the player base.

But how big is actually the player base who does enjoy queuing up as solo players for a quick, casual and hopefully fun game that does not require you to talk to strangers.?

Personally after a long day I do not want to talk to others during a game.
I enjoy playing with others but I do not want to be forced to endure the random noises of background music, high pitched teenage boys, swearing and other offensive language of random people.

If the argument is that removing SWF is going to hurt the player base then a similar argument can be made that at this point including open voice communication is also going to hurt the player base.

When designing a game it may help to have a clear idea what kind of audience you want to attract beforehand and advertise it accordingly.

Is the game intended for

• hard core gamers and their friends that organize their games over voice communication

• casual players who want to have fun playing with random strangers

?

Comments

• Malakir
    Malakir Member Posts: 799
    Swf its mean to be in the game. How many online games don't let you play with friends in 2018? Answer this and anyone could see why it won't be removed

About hardcore or casuals I think, my personal opinion BTW, the Devs don't know either. Was meant to be just for fun but they didn't expect this game would've become so popular so they tried to make it more competitive but at the same time keeping the casual play too. They are stuck in the middle and don't know which direction take, that's what I think its happening. They might be afraid of become more competitive would be less fun which is wrong, just look overwatch or league. These two games have big flaws but also competitive and if you want to play it casually you can ( normally modes )

That's what I think its happening but its just an opinion based on live streams and patch notes. I might be wrong easily

back to the topic I won't have a in-game voice. I'm a solo survivor, when a group invited me cuz "I was good" as they said (big lie BTW) I felt terrible. Was disgusting easy and I play with my friend but with him its just to chill, with these groups in the other hand... Felt wrong, every single thing happening in the map, I knew it by doing gens. plus if they implement that I would just insult my mates for half of the time for some reasons:

They farm me? I'll flame
    They are literally doing nothing but walking like zombies when I'm hooked instead of doing gens, I'll flame
    They bring the killer to me, same thing

As solo the most scary enemy isn't the killer but your mates. If they introduce in game coma might be slightly bettertelling then what to do. In the other hand might lead in a toxic environment, yeah I would be part of it. Its just frustrating see 3men croutching around when the killer is patrolling you instead of doing gen.

Sadly those kind of people are the one saying camping is cheap in the forum when they don't even try to do gens and farm your ass..
  • rha
    rha Member Posts: 417
    I don’t want voice comms for solo survivors, I want a better matchmaking that allows me to play with other players about my skill level. That’s mainly what keeps me from enjoying survivor currently (besides that the game has turned into one big healing simulator). A good solo group can actually do pretty well without comms, but I always get those making dumb plays.

Besides that without comms I can maintain my illusion that I am playing with nice and friendly people, one more thing that many people forget, here in Europe you have many different languages spoken, if you are matched to, say, a Russian 3SWF as a German there’s probably zero chance they’ll bother switching to English just because of you.
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Tsulan said:
    powerbats said:

Most solo q players aren't going to voice comm since it just opens them up to harassment and it's better to just add kindred base etc. That way once they're on par with swf killers can be buffed to that level.

Look at our community. Do you really think the devs could buff killers after giving survivors kindred?

Killers will get a mini buff at most. Everything else would result in another review bomb.

Again with the falsehoods, the review bomb wasn't due to the patch for the most part as I already posted the info for. It was mostly due to the server issues and especially the console server issues.

You can add in all the ochido posters who only posted because he got banned and told them to review bomb.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Oh no, i don't need 11 yea old Ochido fans screaming into the mic all day.
    Wolf74 said:

I have no intrest in getting yelled at in russian. or French.

Other games solved that by adding a mute button. 
  • Giche
    Giche Member Posts: 753

@Tsulan said:

Don't forget the people that opened threads about Freddy being good and that he doesn't need a rework. 

Yeah I'm kinda pessimistic about killer buffs.

No worries he didn't forgot it.

He was actively siding with this lobby in this exact thread.

You shouldn't forget.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,202

@lindechene said:
    I keep reading on this forum that

• one way to balance this game is to add voice communication for everyone.

• it is impossible to remove SWF at this point because this would hurt the player base.

But how big is actually the player base who does enjoy queuing up as solo players for a quick, casual and hopefully fun game that does not require you to talk to strangers.?

Personally after a long day I do not want to talk to others during a game.
    I enjoy playing with others but I do not want to be forced to endure the random noises of background music, high pitched teenage boys, swearing and other offensive language of random people.

If the argument is that removing SWF is going to hurt the player base then a similar argument can be made that at this point including open voice communication is also going to hurt the player base.

When designing a game it may help to have a clear idea what kind of audience you want to attract beforehand and advertise it accordingly.

Is the game intended for

• hard core gamers and their friends that organize their games over voice communication

• casual players who want to have fun playing with random strangers

?

I use comms with people I know. I wouldn't use it for random 10 minute mixes.

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780

No, I get pissed off by randoms without comms. Imagine having comms, and the randoms still farming you. The raaaaaage. The cussing! No thanks lol.

• powerbats

@Giche said:

@Tsulan said:

Don't forget the people that opened threads about Freddy being good and that he doesn't need a rework. 

You shouldn't forget.

Oh yes the logical fallacies fail you yet again, I didn't forget it since it'd already been addressed but you totally ignored my point because it negated yours.

Also I'm a killer main currently so again epic fail on your part, but you keep on throwing out nonsense to try and discredit me.

• Malakir
    @Giche @Tsulan @powerbats
    Can we not? Why are we talking about random things like freddys needs in this thread?

I agree with power bats about no implementing voice coms in game but it would happen anyway. At least I won't listen strangers

Let's stop going that far off topic can we?
    Tsulan stop doing these posts in every contest, I get it you want to get more killer buffs. I won't bring my points here and start debating as well as you shouldn't since this thread is about thoughts on ingame voice com
  • powerbats

@Malakir apologies for that but back on subject I think most people will avoid it solo wise similar to what happened when other companies have done it. As far as muting argument goes that's a logical fallacy and a cheap deflection since you shouldn't have to mute someone in the 1st place.

If you get to the point of having to mute them the damage is already done and quite likely they'll sandbag you and the rest of the team.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

I don't want voice communication either.

• powerbats

As @Wolf74 said about getting yelled at in foreign languages, it's bad enough in your native tongue and I've had more than enough in multiple languages. I've even turned down invite offers of getting into VC with strangers in lobbies since it never ends well.

• Giche
    edited November 2018

@powerbats said:

Oh yes the logical fallacies fail you yet again, I didn't forget it since it'd already been addressed but you totally ignored my point because it negated yours.

Also I'm a killer main currently so again epic fail on your part, but you keep on throwing out nonsense to try and discredit me.

...Or peoples could read by themselves and make their own opinion :

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/18218/man-for-people-thinking-freddy-is-bad/p1

To keep things in perspective when talking with you about balance.

@Malakir

I'm gonna stop now, but i disagree with you on one thing : It totally is on the topic.

Like Tsulan explained, this mindset allowed to keep Infinites 8 months before being finally fixed.

The pallet vaccum took them 2 years.

Cancerous meta and sketchy mechanics like the Hatch still not fixed.

No debuff of any kind for SWF. While they get some aura perks for free and the possibility of insane coordinations. Basically the peoples harshly defending the actual state of it want the advantages without a bit of drawback to balance it.

The list goes on.

Post edited by Giche on
  • Malakir
    Giche said:

@powerbats said:

...Or peoples could read by themselves and make their own opinion :

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/18218/man-for-people-thinking-freddy-is-bad/p1

To keep things in perspective when talking with you about balance.

@Malakir

I'm gonna stop now, but i disagree with you on one thing : It totally is on the topic.

Like Tsulan explained, this mindset allowed to keep Infinites 8 months before being finally fixed.

The pallet vaccum took them 2 years.

Cancerous meta and squetchy mechanics like the Hatch still not fixed.

No debuff of any kind for SWF. While they get some aura perks for free and the possibility of insane coordinations. Basically the peoples harshly defending the actual state of it want the advantages without a bit of drawback to balance it.

The list goes on.

yeah I agree with you for these issues and I advocate for them too but.. What does have anything to do with the thread core subject? In game voice com
  • Eight
    Eight Member Posts: 513

Sorry, I don't want to talk to a load of kids online. If it ever becomes a requirement, I'm out of here.

I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer online games in general. For some reason I got into DbD though.

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited November 2018
    powerbats said:

@Giche said:

@Tsulan said:

You shouldn't forget.

"Freddy is like Nurse with a higher skillcap, everything i disagree with is a logical fallacy"
    -Powerbats

• Giche

@ChesterTheMolester

Thanks, i was too lazy to screen it.

The link is above for the complete experience.

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    My biggest issue is how are they really going to balance around it?
    Make it limited range? It will just encourage third party chat for unlimited range.
    Making notifications when people use it? Same.

How do you balance when the team can regularly broadcast your position, and be long gone by then time you get there?

Personally, I wouldn't use it. I hate talking. I'm sure I'd hate listening to other people, too. Some bossy crap telling me how to play, or demanding some meta #########.
  • Malakir

@Giche @ChesterTheMolester
    Its so funny how much effort you guys put to disproof or shame (trying to at least) someone for an opinion and saying unrelated stuff and ignoring answers that point this out. Just Hilarious!

Like comparing mortal kombat to dbd is dumb since its an asymmetrical game, explaining the voice com problem then proceed to list OTHERS DbD problems to prove his point (?)
    If you would've put the same effort using that weird thing called brain and think before typing, that would be GREAT!

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Since I'm usually streaming when I play this, I think it'd just make it more annoying for everyone else.

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited November 2018
    Malakir said:

Its so funny how much effort you guys put to disproof or shame (trying to at least) someone for an opinion and saying unrelated stuff and ignoring answers that point this out. Just Hilarious!

Like comparing mortal kombat to dbd is dumb since its an asymmetrical game, explaining the voice com problem then proceed to list OTHERS DbD problems to prove his point (?)
    If you would've put the same effort using that weird thing called brain and think before typing, that would be GREAT!

Sorry officer but we all know its not going to be popular and will probably never get it in the game, and the chance that a Dev will answer this thread is lower than finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

In addition i did not compare the DBD to other games in this thread and neither did @Giche

And we weren't shaming Bats for his opinion, we called out and made fun of his dishonesty, its clear that he bets on people being to lazy or stupid to realize that he lies.
  • Giche

@Malakir

@ChesterTheMolester said:

And we weren't shaming Bats for his opinion, we called out and made fun of his dishonesty, its clear that he bets on people being to lazy or stupid to realize that he lies.

Print this in your mind, it will help you to take things in perspective while speaking in this forum.

It apply to a lot of peoples down here sadly.

• Malakir
    Malakir said:

Sorry officer but we all know its not going to be popular and will probably never get it in the game, and the chance that a Dev will answer this thread is lower than finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

In addition i did not compare the DBD to other games in this thread and neither did @Giche

My bad, it was another stupid guy with biased opinion like you. Y'kno sometimes its hard to tell the difference since you guys look the same. Stupid
  • Malakir
    Giche said:

@Malakir

@ChesterTheMolester said:

Print this in your mind, it will help you to take things in perspective while speaking in this forum.

It apply to a lot of peoples down here sadly.

Yeah then if you wish I could do that same. I'll take a dumb comment of yours apply it here. I think would be fun ^^
  • Giche

@Malakir said:

Yeah then if you wish I could do that same. I'll take a dumb comment of yours apply it here. I think would be fun ^^

You sound salty.

Can't figure why tho.

• Malakir
    Whatever.
    Can we close this thread? since people prefer make flame wars throwing random ######### instead of talking about what this thread was meant for
  • Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523
    Orion said:

@Peanits said:
    I wouldn't want voice chat with randoms. I absolutely hate voice chat with strangers in online games. You always run into someone playing music in the background, someone deep throating the mic and breathing heavily, and loads of people who start blaming everyone the second things start to go wrong.

The last one is the biggest issue. You can only get so upset at a mute person. When you can view your frustrations at them and they can fire back, things are going to go south real quick. See: Overwatch.

I'd rather the same info be available without voice chat to level the playing field. Aura reading, etc.

Who or what I deepthroat is none of your business. Don't kink shame.

I don't judge, I just don't want it in my ears.
  • BigBubs
    BigBubs Member Posts: 1,131

Asking this question here is silly , all the crybaby killers who complain about swf will obviously come, with their survivor camo on, saying they don't like using voice chat.

• Mr_Jay_Stark
    Mr_Jay_Stark Member Posts: 539
    As a solo survivor player I don’t want voice communication! Voice communication is one of the reasons I left Friday the 13th I don’t want to hear “OMG THE KILLER IS CAMPING ME” or “THE KILLER IS TUNNELING ME! STOP TUNNELING ME” and I don’t want to hear your cat or you eating! I just want to have a nice chill game of survivor 😌
  • ChesterTheMolester
    edited November 2018
    Malakir said:
    Malakir said:

My bad, it was another stupid guy with biased opinion like you. Y'kno sometimes its hard to tell the difference since you guys look the same. Stupid
    Sorry bro, but unlike you i ain't desperate enough to project opinions on people. 
    And if i look the same as other biased Killer mains to you for the edgy opinion that Freddy IS NOT on the same level as Nurse then feel free to call me biased and stupid. I'm sure most people would agree with you thats completely rational.
  • ChesterTheMolester
    Orion said:

@Peanits said:
    I wouldn't want voice chat with randoms. I absolutely hate voice chat with strangers in online games. You always run into someone playing music in the background, someone deep throating the mic and breathing heavily, and loads of people who start blaming everyone the second things start to go wrong.

The last one is the biggest issue. You can only get so upset at a mute person. When you can view your frustrations at them and they can fire back, things are going to go south real quick. See: Overwatch.

I'd rather the same info be available without voice chat to level the playing field. Aura reading, etc.

Does muting count as kink shame?
  • TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

@BigBubs said:
    Asking this question here is silly , all the crybaby killers who complain about swf will obviously come, with their survivor camo on, saying they don't like using voice chat.

So would you rather as the question to another audience that doesn't play the game?

I mean.... Come to the forums... Ask a question to the community that plays it... Wow... Seems illogical to do that I guess..

Nice...

Life lesson everyone:

ONLY ASK QUESTIONS TO PEOPLE WHO WILL ONLY AGREE WITH YOU. NEVER ASK QUESTIONS TO A GROUP THAT WILL DISAGREE WITH YOU.

Geez....

• RekinShark
    RekinShark Member Posts: 21
    It's a 'No' from me for voice communication.

This game is rock salt as it is.
  • ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

@BigBubs said:

Dear lord this comment. Holy crap. Did you have any traumatizing experience with killer mains in the past?
    Most killer mains on these forums agree that solo survivors need to be buffed to a similar level as swf, in order for the game and it's killers to be balanced much better. It's just that many people don't want to use voice comms with strangers, including me. While I main killer, I also enjoy solo survivor, even now still, cause playing solo survivor isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be, it's just harder than swf, but I'd rather have aura abilities added to the base kit of survivors to make up for the advantages that swf survivors have.
    Cause if we just add voice comms, players like me will still keep having a disadvantage to swf players and then all players that enjoy using voice comms with strangers. If they add kindred and bond to the base kit of survivors though, than I'd be glad if the devs added the option of voice comm as well for those that would still, like that on top of the aura reading buffs.

Yet here I am, reading a comment like this. People on these forums need to stop being so aggressive towards other people on the forum.

• Alona
    Alona Member Posts: 40

We have voice comms in White Noise 2, and after round after round after round of russian players that talk non-stop, high-pitched 14 years old and some kind of background noises of playing kids or techno music, I can't stand another game with open voice comm.
    No, I don't want to mute them, I don't want to hear them in the first place, please.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

@Alona said:
    We have voice comms in White Noise 2, and after round after round after round of russian players that talk non-stop, high-pitched 14 years old and some kind of background noises of playing kids or techno music, I can't stand another game with open voice comm.
    No, I don't want to mute them, I don't want to hear them in the first place, please.

i mean they could add voice comm that can be activated by anyone who wants to use it, while keeping it mute by default. It just wouldn't solve the imbalance between solo and swf survivors for those people who don't want to play this game with voice comms.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Voice comms are great for strategy but that's not what happens in my experience. Any time I have joined a group; its always loud noises and stupid jokes in the background. The not so rare exception is complaints about the killer and how a dc at the last moment is what they deserve. Just hope this is something killer is never forced to endure.
  • GrossAnimeTrash
    GrossAnimeTrash Member Posts: 11
    It’d be nice to have the option but also have other survivors default muted so that way you aren’t forced into it. Not every game I want to take seriously and as emotionally taxing as this game is from time to time, sometimes I just don’t have the energy to listen to someone either critique my build, tell me I’m bad when I make a mistake, or do their best impression of the Dbd wiki and tell me everything about this game. 
  • PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428
    Orion said:

@Peanits said:

"Kink shaming is my kink!"
  • Malakir
    Malakir said:
    Malakir said:

Sorry bro, but unlike you i ain't desperate enough to project opinions on people. 
    And if i look the same as other biased Killer mains to you for the edgy opinion that Freddy IS NOT on the same level as Nurse then feel free to call me biased and stupid. I'm sure most people would agree with you thats completely rational.
    Omg are you really or just 12?

No I just said that was a comment took out of context. Seriously its very hard don't call you names since you sound so stupid I really can find one word to describe you.

I disagree with his opinion, still an opinion and you took it out of context just to make fun of him. Thats low and stupid and how you answer I can see how dumb you really are.

Yes I get confused with people who might have beaten their heads way too often on a corner several times since they think alike, simply they don't.

You say edgy opinion while trying to be edgy and look cool that's sad

I just lost any interest seriously. I explained several times now but you are too obtuse I see
  • ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181

I'm not listening to twelve-year-olds squeaking at me if I don't save them five seconds after they've been hooked.