Please check if your issue has already been reported first!

When reporting a bug, please follow the template provided, otherwise the report will be declined. The information requested is vital to allow us to correctly reproduce and then fix what you are reporting.
We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

UK/Ireland play on their own AWS server instead of with Europe.

bensam123
bensam123 Member Posts: 18

I made a thread on this on the DBD reddit roughly a week ago, which got some traction, but thought I would make an official post just to make sure the devs see it. I'm not sure if a box was unticked or a argument was missing, but DBD for some reason puts all UK and Ireland players on the Ireland AWS server. The rest of europe plays on Frankfurt.

While this wouldn't be a problem if DBD load balances, it doesn't. Once you load the game you're on whatever region is closest. So UK/Ireland/Iceland all play on Ireland, since that server will always be closer and the rest of europle plays Frankfurt. This means there is a artificially smaller player base in the UK/Ireland region. That's also why some streamers have really weird queues, get repeat matches with the same names, stream sniped frequently, weird MMR issues, and long queue times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/sab3ph/if_youre_curious_what_aws_servers_geo_regions_are/

1 votes

Pending · Last Updated

Comments

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 23,000

There isn't a server in Ireland.

UK players can be put on either European or the server that's based in the UK - I regularly play on both servers. Ping to the UK one is around 18-25 and to EU server is around 40 (which is how I know it puts onto a different server).

• bensam123
    bensam123 Member Posts: 18

Perhaps I missed something, but when I checked my connections (a few different times), it was using eu-west-1, which is Ireland. I also get the same ping when VPNing to Ireland as to London, which would indicate it's in that geographic region.

That aside, why would there be a separate server for UK/Ireland since DBD doesn't load balance beyond initial ping? Population wise the area is much smaller then any other region (roughly 8% of the size of europe). NA for instance only has two servers for all of the continent, Virginia and Oregon. The ping difference would be negligible for splitting up that part of the player base as well.