The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Epic Games and Discord Store

Recently Epic Games has released its new storefront and with it introduced a new revenue split for developers.

Steam currently has its revenue split at 70/30. As in, 70% of revenue goes to the developers and 30% goes to Steam. This has been industry standard up till now.

The Epic Games store presented a new 88/12 split, while also offering to pay the 5% Unreal Engine royalty fee.

Since Epic Games’ announcement, Discord’s store has now changed their own revenue split. Previously 70/30, and now 90/10.

So as of the moment the revenue splits are:

Steam - 70% Devs and 30% Steam

Epic Games - 88% Devs and 12% Epic Games (Devs also don’t have to pay for Unreal Engine)

Discord - 90% Devs and 10% Discord

I’m glad to see the industry is improving and I hope Valve betters the Steam store too.

I’m also curious to see if Behavior will at least add Dead by Daylight to the Epic Games and Discord store.

Comments

• ModernFable
    ModernFable Member Posts: 836

Saw this

Yeah there are definitely concerns at the moment, so it’s not a store for everyone.

However, it’s already caused another competitor to improve their business model, and that alone deserves some recognition.

So whether you like Steam, Epic Games, GoG, Discord, etc.. they’ll be forced to improve their policies bit by bit.
  • se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

Can players across different stores even play with each-other?

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,910

I know on some games Steam players can play with Discord players - apparently this will be the case with The Last Year - The Nightmare game, but until it comes out on Steam I am hesitant to say if that is exactly the case. I suspect it's a matter of both Discord & Steam having to agree to it first.

I like the fact that there is more competition in the market because I think it's healthy, one company should never have total control, it's healthier for the players if there is competition.

• ModernFable
    se05239 said:

This is how it’s always been in the past and it shouldn’t be different now. 

For instance Steam players can play with GoG players and vice versa. It’s all on the same platform after all.
  • ModernFable
    MandyTalk said:

I like the fact that there is more competition in the market because I think it's healthy, one company should never have total control, it's healthier for the players if there is competition.

I completely agree and wanted to spread the good news.
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Didn't you already make a thread like this, or did someone else make the other one?

• ModernFable
    Orion said:

Didn't you already make a thread like this, or did someone else make the other one?

I did, however that thread was exclusively about the Epic Games store and the potential return on investment for becoming an exclusive.

Just recently Discord announced changing their revenue split in response to the Epic Games store.

So I wanted to both share the good news, as well as ask whether Dead by Daylight will be coming to these stores.
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

There is a reason why every gamer prefers the steam platform, its the only one thats working properly.
    I admit, the battlenet platform is decent too, but steam is still a lot better.

• ModernFable
    Master said:

There is a reason why every gamer prefers the steam platform, its the only one thats working properly.

Steam has also had 15 years to develop its service and gain market dominance.

While these other storefronts may not be up to par yet, given time they’ll be much larger contenders.
  • ModernFable
    I’m glad that the market is really starting to move once again, and I’m hoping it kicks Valve into action some time soon.
  • Justicar
    Justicar Member Posts: 319

I'm all for getting the game on some other stores, but I'd much rather see it come to GOG than either Epic or Discord.

• ModernFable
    Justicar said:

I'm all for getting the game on some other stores, but I'd much rather see it come to GOG than either Epic or Discord.

I’d rather it come to Discord and Epic, to further pressure other stores better their splits.

Then come to places like GoG, Humble, etc. after the fact.
  • ModernFable
    Justicar said:

Why do you want it on GoG over the other two?
  • RSB
    RSB Member Posts: 2,258

@ModernFable said:
    Justicar said:

Why do you want it on GoG over the other two?

Because they have better policy, also you buy a game, not a license to play a game.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

@ModernFable said:

se05239 said:

For instance Steam players can play with GoG players and vice versa. It’s all on the same platform after all.

Good to know.
    Hm, I didn't get notified for this reply?

• theArashi
    theArashi Member Posts: 998

DBD can even switch to that store.
    It doesn't use steam services for it's online play as far as I remember so it should be fine.

• MasonHugsCats
    MasonHugsCats Member Posts: 135
    theArashi said:

It doesn't use steam services for it's online play as far as I remember so it should be fine.

Bill. Bill will be unavailable to play if the store changes from Steam. As he is a liscenced character from Valve, the owners of steam.
  • SanKa_Games
    SanKa_Games Member Posts: 201

If they will, they'll have to push another version without Bill and L4D outfits. They won't do it => DbD is Steam exclusive on PC.

• Darktronik
    Darktronik Member Posts: 94
    edited December 2018

@ModernFable said:

I’m also curious to see if Behavior will at least add Dead by Daylight to the Epic Games and Discord store.

It problably wont happen cause DbD still uses a lot of steam's APIs. It is a steamwork game. Unless they are willing to create a new version without it, which would result in more work and we all know how efficient to fix and add new features they are.

• ModernFable
    theArashi said:

Bill. Bill will be unavailable to play if the store changes from Steam. As he is a liscenced character from Valve, the owners of steam.
    This is true, but the console versions of Dead by Daylight don’t have Bill either, we just have all of his perks automatically unlocked.
  • ModernFable

@ModernFable said:

It problably wont happen cause DbD still uses a lot of steam's APIs. It is a steamwork game. Unless they are willing to create a new version without it, which would result in more work and we all know how efficient to fix and add new features they are.

This is true, however I have also seen how much faster they work when it involves their bottom line.

So I’m not worried about how long it would take.
  • Sel
    Sel Member Posts: 92

Would fragment the community unless they found a way to have crossplay with people on Steam.. Even then I don't see how that could happen due to the aforementioned Bill. I hope it doesn't happen, but we'll see.

• ModernFable
    Sel said:

Would fragment the community unless they found a way to have crossplay with people on Steam.. Even then I don't see how that could happen due to the aforementioned Bill. I hope it doesn't happen, but we'll see.

That would be one of the easiest problems to solve.

Crossplay with different PC platforms already exist as mentioned earlier in this discussion.

As far as Bill is concerned, it would remain a Steam Exclusive. Players from other store launchers would still be able to see players using Bill, however they just wouldn’t be to unlock him.

If you’ve ever played a fighting game with purchasable outfits it’s the same concept.

You can see their outfits, but you can’t use them until you buy them. Only difference in this case would be that you couldn’t get Bill unless you’re on Steam.
  • ModernFable
    se05239 said:

@ModernFable said:

se05239 said:

Good to know.
    Hm, I didn't get notified for this reply?

I don’t know.

I haven’t been getting notifications on here either.
  • ModernFable
    theArashi said:

I believe you’re correct, although I doubt it would solely moved to those stores. At least not anytime soon.
  • DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    edited December 2018
    Master said:

While these other storefronts may not be up to par yet, given time they’ll be much larger contenders.
    I didn't know you were a Seer.

Sarcasm aside, there is no way to know how those stores will develop.
  • ModernFable
    Master said:

I didn't know you were a Seer.

Sarcasm aside, there is no way to know how those stores will develop.
    You’re correct, but I’d also say it’s safe to assume that Epic and Discord won’t implode overnight.

I’m not saying they’ll be huge, but they’ll be much larger than what they are right now, which are basically ants to Steam.