Killer's Shouldn't Kill. Let's discuss the Dev Philosophy.

SmokePotion
SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089
edited April 2019 in General Discussions

We've all seen it. Here on the forums, or even in the Dev streams, twice in the latest one actually. Staff will explain why they changed certain things with some form of "Survivors have to survive." A good example of this is remember me. The changes around this perk make the game much easier to survive. And it's all because a killer could get all his stacks on one of only 4 perks they can take, kill 3 survivors, and get to the hatch first, closing it. After all that, they think the killer doesn't get to cash in on his hard work and forethought and gameplan for picking an end game perk and playstyle, and didn't let it back fire on him.

Further examples of this are the Pig Nerfs, and then even the revert of one of 2 of her nerfs. The pig wasn't even strong, they thought the changes to the game might make her strong, so they changed her. Then they realized the TR change could be used in a semi-troll way (crouch chasing as pig.....cause that chase wouldn't last 5 gens...) So they reverted it back. Not because it made her weak, Not because of the pure outrage, and not because people playtesting on the ptb have done 2 gens with RBT's on and got them off wihtout fear. No, they changed it because she was able to play less effeciently and get kills with it.

These are just a couple of the newest examples. But it's very common to get a response from BHVR that says something along the lines of "Even though the killer had to plan ahead for X, take a bunch of steps to achieve X, X meant that a survivor couldn't escape."

It makes me think that maybe we aren't playing the same game they are making. We are all playing this horror game where it's a struggle to survive, and usualy half your friends are going to die, if not more. A struggle between both sides.

They seem to be making a Thriller game that gets the survivors heart pumping with jump scares and long chase scenes. It honestly feels like the Killer is really there for atmosphere. Sure they have some lethality. It wouldn't be scary otherwise. Half the fun of a roller coaster is seeing the ground rush at you. But odds are,the roller coaster isn't going to kill you. And neither will a Killer, if you understand the game's mechanics and know how to perk out and do gens.

But that's what I think. i think we are honestly playing a different game then what the devs are making. We are playing a horror game where personal choices have consequences and they are making a thriller.

Comments

• Vlieger
    Vlieger Member Posts: 326

@Sairek I like the point you make, but even if you are being outplayed by a team of SWF that doesn't mean you do/did not have a chance to win.

The BHVR philosophy sounds to be more of trying to eliminate game mechanics that prevent one side or the other from not having a chance. The point you bring up is the human element of PvP. The chance to win is still there from a gameplay perspective, just unlikely because you are outmatched.

• MistressChara
    MistressChara Member Posts: 112

They're saying that if the devs made the killers or survivors OP in a situation then it would be frustrating and unfair for the other side. How is that reasoning false?

If the Killer or Survivors are of equal skill, there should never be a situation where either side has "no chance to win."

• Vlieger
    Vlieger Member Posts: 326

Agree with most things you said accept for the concede button. I don't think changing Pigs RBTs and nerfing Remember Me means endgame is dead. I think it means it will just change to different scenarios now.

As for the other stuff you mention, as Peanits said, it is very tricky to balance an asymmetrical game with anything new they add the balance will always shift one way or the other. I personally main killer so I know how little room for error there is. I play survivor to relax cause it is so easy and I can mess up tons.

I personally like EGC cause it is new content that we haven't seen before. Sure you won't always play in the EGC, but there will be some really fun scenarios on both sides because of it. I would much rather have new content be added and changes be made, due to that content, to eliminate 'absolute no win scenarios' then continuing to play the same game forever.

• SmokePotion
    edited April 2019

I actually like the EGC too. It is a positive thing for the game. With some fine tuning it could add some great fun to the endgame, and be more then something to stop people from abusing eachother. I like that the devs are talking about perks that effect it. Maybe Left Behind can get reworked into something really neat finally.

It is definately tricky to ballance games like this, but they have been, lately, doing really bad about it. I feel they need to rework the objectives a bit, and make people have to find a part to put into a gen before starting repair time. That would make second chance perks a bit more fair.

I also think Pig should be tested wihtout changes, so the devs can get better data, and skilled players can test and offer insight for adjustment from there. This is because they have a chance of making the pig play different, and be quite strong, without being op, if they do it right. Which, IMHO, will help the game. especially at higher skill levels.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

"To use the pig, as an example, if you got chased for a minute after the End Game started and then trapped, you simple would not have a chance to remove your trap escape by the time you get saved (especially now that the End Game timer is two minutes). You would have to win the lottery and remove your trap on the first box."

Just pause the EGC timer while someone has a trap on. Ezpz

• SmokePotion
    edited April 2019

I like the idea, but it can be tweaked.

How about making it so the EGC timer goes to the slower timer, if someone has a RBT on? Meaning it's a 4 min timer now. This gives more playaround for the survivors, and keeps her end game lethality. She just needs to work a little harder for it.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Smokepotion, why are you complaining, aren't you a Hag main? These changes barely affect us.

• SmokePotion
    edited April 2019

Because I use the pig and clown when i'm not against e-sports teams.

though, as a hag main, egc is pretty fun. And i have a sneaking suspicion trapper mains will also have fun when they start playing around it.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

@Poweas That's a horrible way to approach to these kind of issues.

How would you feel if nobody give a damn about spirit's sound bugs and general sound issues which affect the spirit the most?

• tt_ivi_99
    tt_ivi_99 Member Posts: 1,463

@GenSim12345

You know what's the worst part about the Pig's changes?

Ok, so they nerfed Legion in a lot of ways because he would be too powerful (ms while in FF, Tr, swing miss cancels FF, power gauge, etc) but when they nerfed the Pig they didnt give her anything to compensate for that...

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

@Delfador I believe poweas is a hag main now.

• SmokePotion

exactly. it was a preemptive strike. They did't know if she would be strong or not, but they couldn't risk that chance, it seems.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

@TreemanXD Well he was a spirit main as far as I know, I wonder why he became a hag main. Sound issues maybe?

I, myself, am a survivor main and I care about the other side and every killer.

• GrootDude

@Delfador frankly I don’t care what they do too much. I’ll just adapt also I’m a survivor main too.

• Poweas
    edited April 2019

@Delfador it's not like that, I just feel like Hag mains should be complaining the least, endgame collapse is massive for us. We are ridiculously strong with it.

@SmokePotion see I didn't know, I thought you strictly played Hag so it's not affecting you.

But I mean Pigs and Legions issues are massive, I'm thinking of buffs for her and Legion rn, but I didn't expect a Hag main to talk about it. No offense.

• GrootDude

@KaoMinerva well would a 1v1 be fun? Survivors not having a chance.

• Poweas

@Delfador I still main Spirit, but more so Hag. I play survivor a lot now too, and I take unbiased points of view. The sound issues did drive me away from Spirit though.

I care about all the issues with all killers, hence why I expressed my concerns for Legion, but I found it strange someone like @SmokePotion is concerned with it all. It surprised me.

• KaoMinerva
    KaoMinerva Member Posts: 451

It would be good if killers just weren't weak. Only Billy & Nurse are constant threats at all time. 2/14 is a terrible percentage.

• GrootDude

@KaoMinerva we have 4 top tier killers. Not every killer should be strong though, we definitely need mid-tier and steppingstones killers.

• Poweas

Hag is far stronger than Billy @KaoMinerva and Spirit when she's not bugged is stronger.

Huntress and Myers can be threats. Plague too. Even Wraith. That's 8/15.

• Free_Hugs
    Free_Hugs Member Posts: 304

@Peanits So survivors should always have the right to escape no matter how bad they play, because they should always be allowed a "slim" chance, regardless of circumstances.

Is that correct?

• DarkGGhost
    DarkGGhost Member Posts: 1,072

If the killer plays poorly then he/she can win if the survivors play even worst, on the other hand when the survivors play the best they can the killer can't win because you give so many slims chances. Best example when you play nurse for the first time you will lose the game except they are worse than you, but when you are master her you lose when the survivors use stealth and play save.

• Watery
    Watery Member Posts: 1,167

Killer isn’t necessarily killing, just like how Survivors aren’t necessarily surviving. It’s just gathering emblems to pip by receiving tokens.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

I just think the devs underestimate how strong survivors can be in this game.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,531

What you've essentially just said is that if one side does better than the other, they will likely win. This is generally the case anywhere. If the Survivors completely outclass the Killer, they're going to stand a better chance at winning. If the Killer completely outclasses the Survivors, they are going steamroll right over them and kill all four of them.

Although at no point is it a hard game over for anyone involved. As a Killer, you have an opportunity to kill somebody until they escape. As a Survivor, you have the opportunity to escape until the Killer kills you. When you end up in scenario where you have no chance to kill or escape, you're just waiting out the clock. That's something that's best to avoid for both sides.

• AlexAnarchy
    AlexAnarchy Member Posts: 685
    edited April 2019

######### kind of comparison is that? The game is not made for a 1v1 , it's made for a 4 vs1 and yes, you should lose 1v1 against the power role as a numbers role, what kind thinking is this? You think a number role should be equal too the power role or something?

Is this the only asymmetrical game you ever played?

• AlexAnarchy
    AlexAnarchy Member Posts: 685
    edited April 2019

Just adapt...I wonder what perks you use on survivor for being a survivor main who..."adapts"

• GrootDude

@AlexAnarchy he said survivors shouldn’t always have a chance so I said should it be a 1v1? That would make survivors not have a chance.

• Lemming
    Lemming Member Posts: 103

Cote said in an interview the game's early design was as a 1v1. This was before other killers, perks, ect.