The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Being on hook timer should stop if killer is face camping

Raidoku
Raidoku Member Posts: 69

If a killer is on you camp your timer should pause encouraging the killer to move around and search for other survivors that would at least help with tunneling a little bit im sure the community would like that only people who wouldn't like camping killers. Shouldn't be too much to ask for a killer to play the game as intended but instead we have those who love to camp around the hook so you don't get off even through there is 3 other survivors.

Comments

• saiisam
    saiisam Member Posts: 33

Agree 1000000%!

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,188

Shocker. OP, the best thing you can do is run Kindred. I really don't understand why people who queue solo don't run this perk more along with Borrowed Time. Those two perks are the solo survivor starter pack.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Seems more like poor design than survivors "abusing" a feature being tested. If that's how the game worked then that would be the optimal thing for survivors to do. Of course it's a good thing it doesn't work like that but I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to blame killers or survivors for the devs' doing.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

It's like blaming killers for slugging when there's two survivors left. Is it unfun? Sure but often times it's the best strategy because that's how the game was designed.

• foochill1
    foochill1 Member Posts: 109

Wouldn't it be easy to just have a game mechanic where the hooked survivors time slows down until killer enters another chase then it would go to normal, at least just on first hooks, cause getting one hooked really sucks. This way camping is still possible just a little more not worth it. Camping should be in the game.

• DaS_only
    DaS_only Member Posts: 656
    edited July 2019

No, then the timer should go normally. Same concept with camping emblem change.

Also, to often survivors do pump gens and get killed by noed at the end. So what now? Pump gens or waste time doing totems during a camp scenario?

• Zixology
    Zixology Member Posts: 1,062

Literally just stop hook-death progression while the killer is in X-meters of the hooked person.

HOWEVER! They should also make it so that if the killer is in a chase, then the hook-death progresses as normal.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Stop generator progression while there's a hooked survivor.

• Zixology

I mean, only if that also stops all killer mobility, attacks, interactions, and abilities.

• Orion

And the hook timer only stops if the survivors can't unhook, thus bringing the game to a standstill. Problem solved: nobody plays the game.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Yes, it is. It's unfortunate, but, people must be allowed to learn why it isn't a good strategy. Just as all of our baby locker Dwight's must eventually come out of their lockers.

• Zixology

Counter measures can be taken. The survivors can't exploit it if it doesn't apply while the killer is in a chase.

• Orion
  • Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

I love these ideas, they make me laugh so hard. Camping is legit strategy that is maybe unpleasent but part of skillful gameplay when used correctly. Yes it can be abused to almost grief but if killer wants you dead for any reason he can just bleed you on ground if you nerf camping.

I wonder how would you like if generator progress was stopped for 2 minutes first time gen gets to 50% of its progression to prevent gen rushing which is also unpleasent for killers. Probaly wouldn't be very popular change since it's dumb as is punishing camping even more then it's now.

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636

Killers have been complaining about the system that detects when we are in a chase since day-one. As it seems clear it won't be changed, it should not be allowed to determine anything.

It is of course used to deny killers emblem points and naturally gives huge penalties if the killer doesn't leave the hook area almost immediately, chase or no chase, but no one complains about it because no one really wants to rank up anyway.

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

Literally just stop the ability to repair gens or reverse gen regression while the killer is in x-meters of the generator

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

I know this was already tested but in which way you exploit to make the killer facecamp you? It's not logical

• DWolfAlpha
    DWolfAlpha Member Posts: 927

How bout this then. Instead, make it so that a survivor's timer isn't accelerated by attempting to escape the hook while being face camped. The timer still progresses normally, but you have a better chance of just escaping. Sure, the killer can just down you, but it gives a slight chance to someone that has no chance.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,442

Useless for legitimate situations as you already point out

Too easy to find situations to abuse it, other survivors can just loop near the hook to give you a free escape

In the end camping is not the trash, camping is the flies that are attracted by the trash. The trash being the worthless rank system that makes the consequence of camping, making it harder to rank up, irrelevant. Ideally campers would be in the ranks where the rank rewards are not awarded but those still don't exist, over 3 years since release

• Orion

Also already tried.

Think of rewards for the killer to leave instead of punishments for the killer staying. Those are the ideas that haven't been tried yet, because the human default for someone not doing what you want seems to be to hit them until they do, even though all research shows that doesn't actually work.

• Madjura

Rewards for leaving exist, higher chance for pips but rank is worthless (technically less than worthless because ranking up is bad) and BBQ, which survivors commonly cry about

The rank system needs to stop being garbage, that would solve a lot of issues at once

• Orion

I knew someone would bring up BBQ, but I expected it'd be at least an hour.

BBQ is not a built-in reward like the built-in punishments (well, punishment, really, there's a single one that keeps coming back despite being an abject failure) that keep being suggested, so it's not comparable. If survivors want built-in mechanics to punish killers for camping, then they can sure as hell come up with built-in mechanics to reward killers for not camping, since those might actually work.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

If there wasnt a penalty for trying to unhook yourself, it would be spammed UNTIL you unhook. I guess that'd result in a ~80-100% selfunhook rate before reaching stage two. I dont know how fast the self unhook action is, but i think you have a minimum of 28 attempts even if it'd take 2 seconds.

Thus possibly resulting in more camping.

• Madjura

BBQ is common enough to draw conclusions how a built-in mechanic would affect the game, which is to say, not a lot in regards to camping

• Orion

It really isn't, no. First of all, BBQ has too many counters, so people end up just using it for the bonus BP, since the main advantage (aura reading) is effectively non-existent. Second of all, because survivors still reward camping three years in, it remains a viable strategy.

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696

How about we make it so that generator repair speed stops altogether or slows down when the survivors camp the gens.

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798

No? Never needed them. Pick decisive strike and ur fine

• prayer_survivor
    prayer_survivor Member Posts: 626

5 gens done and waiting 30 min. before going to open a door could be a strategy too, and now you have EGC. Strategies can be unfair

• Orion

Holding the game hostage is against the rules. Camping isn't.

• AsheruSwiftwind
    AsheruSwiftwind Member Posts: 156

If the killer is face camping and your not rushing Gens to punish them for it... That's on you. Yes its not fun to get face camped there is no question about that but you should capitalize on the killers folly. Good killers don't need to camp to secure kills. Now the moment that last gen pops if I catch you sure I'll camp you then as I am going to do everything in my power to secure my objective of killing survivors but unless you are completely toxic I am just going to hook you and move on to the next target. But if you play normal I am more than willing to just play the game and go for as many hooks as I can get. Its far more worth it to me as a killer to go for the 7-9+ hooks anyway rather than the 2000 points you get if you down someone and face camp them for first hook, death hook.

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

You have no POWER here

• Onionthing
    Onionthing Member Posts: 469

Im not a facecamper, my top 3 killers (spirit, plague, hag) do not need to so such a thing myself but I did think of this:

If survivors go on and on about Killers not needing to 4K all the time. So a killer face camps, and the survivors gen rush, one dies on hook and 3 survive.. wasn't that mission accomplished? It wasnt a 4k. Or would you like some kind of "Martyr" bonus?

That could be a new perk.

Martyr - (Survivor Perk)

Target becomes the object of obsession. While on hook survivor gains 10% of all blood-points currently earned by the other survivors while on hook. Hook progression is reduced by 10%. The survivor also gains an additional 25% blood points for a Altruism category.

"Im just gonna hang out up here guys, dont worry about me. See you in 5." - Andy

• Guertena
    Guertena Member Posts: 392

i agree, this is a really nice way of avoid facecamping and tunneling

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

And? That strategy leads to people escaping. They did their role. To your dismay, perhaps, but their job is to escape. Period.

• DWolfAlpha
    DWolfAlpha Member Posts: 927

If it's cancelled during a chase, it wouldn't be free. Forgot to mention that part.