Prestiege clothing on all clothing articles

So of course, when you prestiege you get a new cosmetic that has blood on it and it is used to, well, show prestiege. However, why can this only be used on the character's default outfit. For example, one of the cosmetics you get for prestieging David is a bloody jacket. However, I can not choose to have David's shirtless skin to have blood on it. Why am I only able to use this on one cosmetic and not one of my choosing. Prestieging is near already pointless but it would be better if any cosmetic can have the prestiege look with blood on it. Has anyone else ever thought the same thing or is there some sort of reason why only one cosmetic can have the prestiege effect on it( The bloody look basically).

Comments

• HasNoLuck
    HasNoLuck Member Posts: 16

I agree with PhantomMask, but maybe they could just copy and paste the textures. I haven't the slightest clue on how game graphics are made, so I don't know if it would be possible or not.

• Killmaster
    Killmaster Member Posts: 429

They could easily add a blood overlay to every outfit if they really wanted to.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

They did state that it's not as easy as an overlay to your outfit, but instead would have to be added to each outfit piece by hand and it just isnt practical.

• DaS_only
    DaS_only Member Posts: 656

What about Plague when u get sick? The texture is on all cosmetic pieces or not

• Wizards4Hire
    Wizards4Hire Member Posts: 10

That makes sense, I dont know really anything about coding but I can't imagine it would take too long to do it. But if the devs would rather work on other subjects that is understandable

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited August 2019

Unreal Engine doesn't work that way. Things need to be "baked" into the game during the load process. Unless the devs implement a system where they can overlay textures onto models during this process, this can't be done. To do it would require an entirely new system to overlay the textures and artwork for those textures specifically to work with all the different types of cosmetics.

Basically at this point, it would be way too costly for something that's not going to be worth it.

• drimmalor
    drimmalor Member Posts: 909

This is exactly it - from what they've said before, the blood on prestiged cosmetics is carefully designed and placed for each piece. It's not just a generic blood layer that works for every character and every cosmetic. If we got it for every piece as a generic overlay, they'd likely end up looking worse than the original and the overall quality would be poor, barring a miraculous increase in free time for the production team.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,531

It's a lot more complicated than it seems. To keep it simple: When you create a 2D texture for a 3D model, you need to unwrap it first. Otherwise you're trying to stick something 2D on something 3D, and it's like sticking a round peg into a square hole.

Here's an example that I found on Google:

(Source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d3/87/3b/d3873bc48632cea842b1c6724c767d09.jpg)

Obviously ours are going to be a little different, but you get the idea. Parts of the character are flattened out into a 2D form that the artists can paint. To save space, parts are shifted around and rotated in order to fit into the smallest space possible. This keeps the overall file size of the game down, and when you have dozens of outfits, that's a pretty big deal.

That creates another problem though: You can't just slap a layer of blood on top of that and call it a day. Notice how the pants (the tan section in the bottom left) are beside the torso. If you put a blood layer on top of this texture, there would be a very noticeable seam between the upper and lower body. The texture would not line up. You would see a similar thing happen between the front and back of the torso, between the head and the neck, the arts and the hands, etc.

This is why prestige isn't available on every cosmetic. An artist would need to go through and bloody each cosmetic piece one by one. It takes a huge amount of time, and that's time that could be spent working on completely new outfits that everyone can have (not just those who are P3, since not everyone likes to prestige).

TL;DR: It would be great, but it's not quite possible. It would take a ton of time to do since they need to be done individually.

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

This is why I haven’t prestiged a single character and won’t do so anytime soon. One ketchup covered outfit isn’t incentive enough for me to increase the grind x3.

• SpyMature
    SpyMature Member Posts: 204

Can we at least get a Chad P3 David King scar with a beard cosmetic? His default P3 cosmetic looks like Twin from Outlast, and most likely no one ever wears it.