Object of Obsession should not exist.

Options
DeKillerKiller
DeKillerKiller Member Posts: 547
edited November 2019 in General Discussions

I want to make this clear that I'm not posting this out of frustration, anger or any sort of negative emotions. I sometimes use OoO myself for the memes. What I will say however is that Object of Obsession shouldn't exist because it's a perk that in my opinion, is the most powerful perk in the game especially in a Survive With Friends group. And since I know some people on this forum likes to use this as an argument: "It's annoying and not fun to go up against."

OoO basically disallows the killer from doing any mindgames of any kind during a loop, or robs them from being able to do any setup if they're playing a killer like Trapper or Hag, or gives your teammates information on where the Killer is at every moment especially if you are in an SWF group. Whenever I play as killer and I see an OoO group, I roll my eyes, thank God I am going to get a depip (Because I hate Red Ranks and this is one of the reasons why), and resolved myself to just be the biggest toxic piece of ######### to the person who uses it.

No killer, not even amazing ones, likes to feel powerless in a situation. Especially since they're the supposed "Power Role". And this perk can make some killers powerless.

This perk is one of the reasons why I sometimes doubt BHVR's ability to balance this game properly, as it's often used to cheese games to the point where they're not even challenging anymore. Just plain annoying.

I know that's how some people felt with Spirit, well this is how I personally feel with Object of Obsession.

I think Decisive Strike, Dead Hard, Adrenaline, Borrowed Time or whatever meta perks Survivors run nowadays have counters. Some are more obvious than others. DS you wait for 60 seconds, DH you wait for them to use it them whack them over the head with it, Adrenaline you gotta pressure gens, and BT you gotta hide your Terror Radius.

What's the counter to Object other than to tunnel the obsession? And even so, why is there a perk that encourages this sort of behaviour? It's one of the reasons I disliked old Dying Light. No one wants to just chase one person or be the only one chased (unless you're using OoO to give your teammates information, which in my opinion is a perk that should never exist. Information is valuable and knowing where the killer is at at all times makes this perk incredibly broken)

I hope to God I'm not the only one who feels this way, because Object is the one perk (probably the only perk) I wish that is just completely reworked or removed from the game.

Even as a survivor if I notice someone else is in a 2 man or a 3 man using Object of Obsession, I will purposefully kill myself because I know how it feels as a killer. It's frustrating and you feel completely helpless in that situation. It's sometimes not even your skill that is at fault. But you begin to doubt yourself regardless.

Oh boy, I think that's my rant done. I did say I wasn't angry or frustrated, but I guess the more I talked about it the more I realize how utterly bullshit this perk can be.

Please keep discussion civil, as I know some people are pretty heated already because of the whole Spirit issue.

Comments

• DeKillerKiller
    Options

I think you didn't read my post. I said it myself that I often use OoO for meme builds with my friends. It can be fun. And it is fun.

But when there's a group that doesn't care about the fun of the other player, then I'll give them my own life in the game as compensation. It's clear the killer is not having fun, so when the other side isn't having fun I most likely won't. So why should I care if they don't care about the other person's fun and by proxy, mine?

I don't want to win games easily, nor do I want to absolutely decimate my opponent. I want things to escalate, to be exciting and fun. Is it any fun if you as the killer has to run around one person all game? Is it any fun if you just do gens while the person in your team who runs OoO just runs the killer around while you do nothing but hold M1?

It isn't is it? Unless you're the sort of person who thinks that winning is the only way to have fun in games.

• Heroiq
    Heroiq Member Posts: 1,134
    Options

just a small nerf can fix this issue. make it so it doesn't work if the killer is in a chase.

if it happened. the OoO guy won't be able to tell his friends about the killer's mindgames. and won't be a huge counter to freddy (considering add-ons and perks doesn't count as counters)

• DeKillerKiller
    Options
  • Heroiq
    Options

everyone. even most survivor mains (excluding entitled ones) would probably agree and love for this small nerf to happen.

since BHVR is known for sucking at reworking things. nerfing the perk will probably be the best thing they can do.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

This isn’t really a small nerf but I think it’d be fine.

• DeKillerKiller
    Options

Then I will say what people who complained about Spirit will say:

Why should I build my build around one specific perk when there's literal pages of them for them to use? And what if I don't like bringing addons that gives an effect like blindness?

• Larisa
    Larisa Member Posts: 176
    Options

OoO is a Chad perk and it's great

• DeKillerKiller
    Options

Yeah, it is planned around planning for some contingencies but not all. But does that really excuse a perk this powerful to exist? You're not going to run into them every game of course, but you will run into them at some point. You just don't know.

• Heroiq
    Options

there's no problem with running OoO in solo queues. and using it based on it's intended purpose (chase the OoO user)

but when it gets used by a swf squad. it becomes pretty overpowered. considering if you chased someone else who isn't the OoO user. the OoO user will be giving the survivor you're chasing a lot of information that will make it harder for the killer to win the chase (the killer is just standing there. don't move, he double backed, he's vaulting the window, etc.)

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

That change still wouldn't solve the problem for Trapper and Hag, as they're most vulnerable when setting up outside of a chase.

• DeKillerKiller
    Options

Maybe have it so it doesn't trigger until a certain amount of gens are done, by then setup killers are able to do their work without much problem.

• Heroiq
    Options

pretty rare. unless you're a rank 1 trapper/hag main. but still. a bit rare.

i really cannot see this as a problem. however. giving killers perks that debuffs the survivors at the start of the trial can be a decent fix. (for example. buffing corrupt intervention so it also gives the survivor the blindness status effect)

because OoO (most likely) can not be nerfed because 2 out of 17 killers are having a bit of a hard time dealing with it. but adding more counters can be the way to go.

this removes and deletes the whole purpose of OoO (early chase). if this change was implemented. i won't be surprised if OoO became another useless F tier perk.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,019
    Options

How does OoO kill mindgames at loops? The perk doesnt work within a killer's TR.

• LordGlint
    Options

Always funny when someone brings OoO and you blind them, lol. They can try to call out my position all they want from up on the hook.

• DeKillerKiller
    Options
  • LordGlint
    Options

Snares help alot, as well as Freddy's block addons that cause blindness. I main Freddy, so I grew pretty use to handling this.

• DeKillerKiller
    Options

I've been trying and learning. Though I am pretty reliant on the rope addons to slow down gens. I still haven't found a good way to get rid of the OoO user.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246
    Options

I read your post, pls stop assuming stuff.

Please stop deluding yourself with nonsense that everybody is having fun all the time or should. Your pity suicide, doesn't help the person to get better. PvP games don't work that way.

I would feel totally offended by some pity kill due someone basicly sayin you suck that hard here take this as compensation.

You assume too much, OoO is a strategic mindgame, the killer can decide to only run after the Obsession or ignore it. Assuming that the Obsession is the best looper is stupid you should think that all 4 are equally skilled.

I am sorry but i dont see the diffrence between a killer chasing one person for the entire game and well chasing one person for the entire game.

OoO was already nerfed with undetectable so nothing further required.

• LordGlint
    Options

Can always do 1 rope addon and a block addon. The rope addons arnt really worth stacking together. The way I use the snares, they typically get alot of value, even if someone knows exactly where I place them. Still sucks being spotted at many locations like the school. Often times when a survivor runs downstairs, I like to listen to their grunting and fall ontop of them using the hole in the floor. Cant do that when they can see you... Normal jungle gyms and pallet loops though... the snares are still gonna net me the hit.

• DeKillerKiller
    Options

Thanks for the advice, will use it next time I play the game :)

• LordGlint
    Options

Heres my normal perk loadout if ya wanna try it. The addons are flexable.

• DeKillerKiller
    Options

Huh, almost similar to mine. Except I use MonitornAbuse. Might change it out to Surge when I level Demo then.

• DeKillerKiller
    Options

So other killers have to suffer because they don't have Undetectable? And of course I'll assume that, OoO users tend to be loopers. People who are confident enough to have their auras revealed the whole game is confident enough to chase the killer around for ages. I always make sure I gauge whether or not a player is competent in game, and always go for the weaker ones if I can or try and rush kill some of the stronger ones.

And OoO is as much of a mindgame as Spirit waiting on the pallet for you to come towards her. If the killer ignores the OoO, then that user can tell the others in his party whether or not the killer is chasing them or trying to do a mindgame. If the killer chases the OoO, then he will most likely waste his time.

How is any of this fun? Have you personally gone against one of these groups yourself or have you only been playing it through the prespective of a survivor?

Because like I said before, I run OoO on Meme Builds. And one of my friends, and I will always remember this even though he was joking, told me:

"Wow, you're acting like such a ######### right now. Please never do that again." even though we won, got everyone to escape and I successfully ran the killer around the whole game in Haddonfield. That was like the perfect survivor game and I doubt anyone in that game were having fun.

Also, what's the point of playing a game if you're not having fun? Typically if you see something not considered fun, you immediately look for something that is. That's why people think Spirit isn't fun to go against. But hey, some people also say she is so that opinion, like anything is subjective.

What isn't subjective however is how powerful OoO is. And why it shouldn't exist in the first place. This perk is busted by design the moment you could play it alongside SWF. I doubt you'll find much naysayers to that unless they use the perk themselves.

• LordGlint
    Options

Monitor does nothing for you against sleeping survivors. I use to use it on OG Freddy, but switched it off with the rework.

• DeKillerKiller
    Options

Yeah I figured, I am still kinda stuck to OG Freddy's way of thinking. I always think to myself I need Monitor and Abuse.

I'll go switch it out with something else next game. Once again, thank you for the advice.

• LordGlint
    edited November 2019
    Options

Np, Freddy is great once you learn how to properly use him. I feel like hes incredibly versatile to any situation.

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 534
    Options

If SWF didn't exist I would have no problem with Object, but having an ENTIRE team know your location at all times is insane.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768
    Options

Every killer with the "Undetectable" status is immune against OoO now and even got a huge advantage, because he can still see the OoO in stealth. I like the actual state of OoO.

• Kaiju
    Kaiju Member Posts: 530
    Options

Yey happy to be a wraith main with undetectable now

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,883
    Options

Counters that require perks or addons are not legitimate counters? Really? So 50% of the perks that exist are not counters in your opinion?

So sloppy butcher is not a legitimate counter to healing? This Is Not Happening is not a legitimate counter to Unnerving Presence? Face it, some things need a perk or addon slot to counter.

• Rezblaze
    Rezblaze Member Posts: 843
    Options

Stating the current State of "counters" in this game is a non-argument.

• Rezblaze
    Options

Sorry, we seem to forget that there are only Stealth killers in this game, my apologies.

• Jigsaw_pprentice1993
    Options

Are u stupid there is no do downside for the survivor unless it is a hillbilly but if ur trapper ur ######### plus people u say u know ehere a survivor is i already know on a gen i know this without OoO its a buff for survivors and the amount of info u get is stupid

• tkwmm
    tkwmm Member Posts: 103
    edited February 2020
    Options

Dev need to rework OoO to make it counterable. This perk totally disable killer that require setup such as Hag, Trapper.

My suggesion is Only obsession have the effect of OoO, means if 2 or more people bring OoO, others will have the OoO perk disable until they become the obsession.

This will make this perk more challenging and more balance. If killer want to disable it, killer need to find a way to switch obsession.

If survivor found that is a stealth killer, their friend can DS killer to disable this perk, or stun the killer if killer bring Nemesis to help their friend.

• Endstille
    edited February 2020
    Options

Yeah that was probably too much irony/sarcasm for you.

• Jigsaw_pprentice1993
    Options

How so if they are not on a gen i could care less what they are doing the trade off

they know where i come from at all times

they know my trap placements if hag or trapper

they can call put what i do to teammates if swf

they know where i broke pallets and not tun to a deathzone

what do i get oh that guy is on a gen goodluck if ur already in a chase

the trade off is astranomical in the survivors faces

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

I complete agree. Its mostly only used as a vehicle for toxicity and gives SWF an unfair advantage.

• Endstille
    Options

My post was a joke. Check other threads on the matter and you see that i said several times that this perk is a joke in itself but thanks to the devs who have no clue, stuff like this can exist and is fine.

• Oicimau
    Oicimau Member Posts: 897
    edited February 2020
    Options

When i see a OoO user, i first assume its a SWF. If he taunts me, it def is a SWF. So I ignore him until a better moment, or I act as I care about him, to surprise others survivors.

But never thought he would tell all my moves... sad...

But, depending on the killer, as OG Nurse, i just go up to him and down him. OoO, by the other side, is a "please kill me you know im here" perk. If i test the user skill, i can get if its a looping God or not.

I do like go against OoO cause it shows me where a survivor is all the time, and rarely they are so skilled I cant down. As survivor, i think its a stupid perk to use, and only No Mither is worse.

Never got a team with more than 1 OoO user until now.

About reworking or nerfing, idk if its needed. As I said, the OoO user has a target in his head, and thats a big downside when you are against a killer thats better than you or has the proper counterplays (as Light Born against a flashlight god). So, the survivor gets in the match cocky, and is downed way fast. And will be tunneled, cause the killer knows where he is. And so you will know where others are, if hes being healed.

But... the point it is a problem against SWF is a thing. It can be enerving for the killer to be taunted all the time. But SWF itself is a big thiiiiiing, the Supreme OP Perk: SWF Voice Comm.

Let the taunter taunt, go after others until better moment. While he is taunting you, hes not doing gens.

But i liked the "obsession only" idea. It would be a nice condition to avoid meme OoO OP groups.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,883
    Options

No, its not. Someone proclaimed "if I need a perk to counter something, its not a counter". Which is a bs argument, it implies that those perks should be basic mechanics. I mean, really. I could argue that if I need to run decisive strike or boil over to actually be able to counter being picked up doesnt count as a counter. Would you really be fine if desicive strike was implemented as a regular mechanic rather than being a perk?

Point being, there are counters to OoO, quite a few even. If you think there is gonna be an OoO and you refuse to counter it because you feel like it shouldnt require an add-on or perk to counter, then you deserve all the free aura readings someone gets from you.

• mylesmylo
    mylesmylo Member Posts: 354
    Options

I dont worry to much about that perk when I'm killer, I find alot of people that actually use it, which I dont find alot, they are rubbish with it lol

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited February 2020
    Options

The problem I have with OoO besides the obvious is there really is no downside to being the obsession. If anything it's a positive. The killer isn't going to hit you if they are running pwyf or stbfl. The only time it's dangerous to be the obsession is rancor and how often do you see that? How about giving the obsession an actual penalty? Like an action speed debuff or something.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 798
    Options

I didn't read the post, I just upvoted for the title.

It is a perk used almost exclusively to bully the killer. It should be at the top of the list to be reworked.

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940
    Options

This perk alone is exactly why SWFs need to be balanced, it shouldn't exist in a SWFC.

This game needs to be fun for both sides

• Rezblaze
    edited February 2020
    Options

I don't FEEL like it shouldn't have an addon or Perk requirement to counter.

It just SHOULDN'T.

Perks are meant, as stated by @Peanits, to exhibit a particular playstyle.

If running a perk to counter another broken mechanic is our idea of counters, then it runs directly contrary to what was stated the intention of perks are. If a killer or survivor for that matter had to account for every mechanic and issue they MIGHT come across, then perks are no longer there to express a particular playstyle. Instead they're there to act as a pretend fix.

OoO is not a basic mechanic of the game. It isn't standard aura reading that I can play around or that I can bite the bullet of in favor of, say, anti-healing, or actually making a build based on what I want to play around. OoO has constant aura reading feedback no downside or requirements. The implied downside is that the Killer can see you, but there isn't a team of killers who gets relayed that information.

Fixing the OoO breaking stealth killers was only part of the problem. Pretending like it actually fixed anything is hilarious to me; the only way its fixed is if its removed from the game or completely reworked.