Suggestion to "buff" flashlights

White_Owl
White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
edited August 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions

Flashlights saves should be very risky, and I totally agree with devs in that, but I think that currently there are too few windows of opportunity to do so, and since these windows have been made shorter the chances to actually get a blind are minuscule.
So what about a compromize? Instead of reverting the change to the animation as many ask, increase the number of possible windows.
The idea is this: while carrying a survivor, when the killer attacks his camera gets stuck for the duration of the animation. This way a survivor can take a hit to get a chance to blind the killer, who then has two possible targets. The window would be very short, so the possibilty of ######### up still exists.

Comments

• soshidow
    soshidow Member Posts: 104

Part of the reason devs made pick ups shorter is to reduce the time people spend stuck, people don't like not having any control, it's not fun.

Balancing this by adding another method of being stuck (not being able to turn) would be counter-productive and honestly even worse than just normal pick up times.

Second, imagine body-blocking a hook with a flashlight in hand... what do you do as killer? there's no timing to mess up, like blinding right at the end of a pick-up. They hit you, you get a guaranteed easy blind. You would be forced to drop a survivor the second you see any bodyblocks with a flashlight.

• White_Owl
    edited August 2018

@soshidow said:
    Part of the reason devs made pick ups shorter is to reduce the time people spend stuck, people don't like not having any control, it's not fun.

Balancing this by adding another method of being stuck (not being able to turn) would be counter-productive and honestly even worse than just normal pick up times.

I'm not sure that is a reason, since there are many instances where the killer is stuck and can't look around.

@soshidow said:
    Second, imagine body-blocking a hook with a flashlight in hand... what do you do as killer? there's no timing to mess up, like blinding right at the end of a pick-up. They hit you, you get a guaranteed easy blind. You would be forced to drop a survivor the second you see any bodyblocks with a flashlight.

Who said there's no timing? The animation is not so long, it would give the survivor a chance to blind the killer but it would be no way guaranteed. The survivor would have little time to get to a safe distance and if the killer is using Agitation, STBL, Lightborn or FD that survivor seriously risks of being downed. High risk-high reward. As killer you can pretend you're going to a hook and as soon as they anticipate you and go there you go to another one (works most of the times).

The main reason I'm proposing this is to make flashlight saves still relevant, because I feel since the last change survivors don't seem to consider it worth their time and rather rush the gens instead of trying to save their mates.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Flashlights are still the strongest item of a survivor, why should they be buffed?

• Acroyear
    Acroyear Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2018

I guess majority used to EZ blind when killer pickup victim. no timing or some. just do it! if wall isn't near, blind guaranteed even with yellow flashlight. now it's not that EZ. only those who knows right timing can blind. is that bad?
    (I'm not even considering that 3 other surves can brigh flashlight and blind together, like power rangers.)
    But surves don't want to go timings. they just need to do it EZ every time, right?)

Post edited by Acroyear on
  • White_Owl
    edited August 2018

--

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Acroyear said:
    I guess majority used to EZ blind when killer pickup victim. no timing or some. just do it! if wall isn't near, blind guaranteed even with yellow flashlight. now it's not that EZ. only those who knows right riming can blind. is that bad?
    (I'm not even considering that 3 other surves can brigh flashlight and blind together, like power rangers.)
    But surves don't want to go timings. they just need to do it EZ every time, right?)

The easier, the better

• soshidow
    edited August 2018

@White_Owl said:

@soshidow said:

I'm not sure that is a reason, since there are many instances where the killer is stuck and can't look around.

That is a reason, check the last dev stream: That is 100% a reason they gave for speeding up so many animations recently. I'm not stating opinion, it's a verifiable fact that the devs said that, it's not debatable. Whether you agree with them or not is debatable however.

EDIT: last stream, or second to last stream.. one of them.

• soshidow
    edited August 2018

did not mean to make a second comment.