Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

Freddy

Options

What is the best Freddy build out there right now

and also, if you have a meme build for Freddy at this moment, (perk wise) pls let me know

Answers

• Kagari_Leha
    Kagari_Leha Member Posts: 555
    Options

I wouldnt say it's the strongest, but my take would be to play him with Surge and Surveillance, I love that combo, it's especially strong on Freddy as he can basically protect the whole map like this.

For the other two, do what you want ☺️

• InLeegion
    InLeegion Member Posts: 12
    Options

I already use surveillance, I think the most powerful build on him would be surveillance, surge, hex ruin, and pop goes the weasel

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

I have a friend who mains Freddy, has done since before his rework, and consistently gets 4Ks at rank 1 before a single generator has even popped.

His build, I believe, is Save The Best For Last, BBQ & Chili, Pop Goes The Weasel and Discordance.

I'll tag him in here in case he wants to chime in himself and explain his (obviously effective) strategy, but he might not reply for another 30 hours or so. @DeKillerKiller

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited January 2020
    Options

My build is BBQ, Thana, Pop, Discordance, Outdoor Rope, Sheep Block.

Thana + Rope will help to slow down the game. Hit a survivor and it's a 6% debuff to everything. If everyone is injured and asleep it's 18%. Basically Rope augments Thana to be a tad stronger than it normally is (which is pretty strong IMO if you can juggle injured survivors). BBQ/Discordance is to track survivors and gen progress. After a hook you use teleport + Pop to shut down the gen. When you factor in the slowdown from Thana + Rope that 25% is very significant (basically you knock off about 30s with Pop if everyone is injured and asleep, where it would be 20s without Thana + Rope).

Sheep Block is special. I've come to find that OOO specifically is a VERY hard counter to Freddy, as the obsession can always see you regardless of distance when they are asleep. Sheep Block inflicts 30s of Blindness which is all you need to get the advantage in a chase, as now looking at you in any form will only reveal their aura to you. It also helps against other aura perks, but it's mainly to beat OOO which is very difficult to play around otherwise as Freddy.

If you are less confident in your Freddy skills, you can use Jump Rope or Swing Chains instead of Outdoor Rope, and Unicorn Block instead of Sheep Block. You can use Red Paint Brush here and there, but I wouldn't use it too much because you won't see yourself improve as a Freddy. Better to save them for games where you think survivors might give you a hard time (eg. SWF).

Avoid dream pallets. They are fun from time to time, but they are WAY less reliable than snares. You can only place pallets in certain places, and they do nothing against window loops. Snares can be put anywhere and help at any loop at any time. Dream pallets are also very easy to play around if survivors know you have it. They either avoid pallets they aren't sure are real, or just run to windows. On certain maps you literally have no power in a chase, and it will suck.

IMHO, if you need STBFL on Freddy you must not be a good Freddy. In fact, you shouldn't need any chase perks at all on Freddy if you know how to use snares properly. It's like using NOED or MYC on one shot killers like Myers or Billy, it's super redundant and a waste of a perk slot. You are better off with game slowing or tracking perks as they would have an actual greater impact on your ability to control the game.

• Fibijean
    Options

As I said, I don't know why he uses it, whether it's because he "needs" it to close chases or because it factors into his gameplay strategy more broadly. That's why I tagged him, so that he can explain for himself what he thinks is good about that particular build.

• thesuicidefox
    edited January 2020
    Options

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to diss your friend, just pointing out that chase perks are redundant on Freddy and don't provide nearly as much of a benefit as they would other killers. I can end pretty much any chase at almost any loop against a full health survivor in less time than it takes to get Bloodlust 2 just by using snares properly.

The only chase perk I feel benefits Freddy enough to use is Brutal Strength, only because a lot of survivors tend to treat him sort of like Clown and drop the pallet early. But even then I wouldn't use it because you can just go around the pallet, spam snares, and still catch them. The only pallets where this isn't the case are god pallets like shack pallet.

• Fibijean
    Options

Fair enough. I know you're not trying to diss him, don't worry, it's just that I don't know enough about Freddy or about my friend's reasoning behind his build to really make much of a comment on it.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    Options

It seems to focus on his teleporting ability canceling out the gen rush thanks to Discordance, STBFL because its an insanely good perk for M1 Killers, BBQ for basic tracking, and pop goes the weasel to work with Discordance for those easy regression opportunities.

Seems like a pretty solid build to me, works together well and fits with his power.

@InLeegion

I personally use Ruin, Pop goes the Weasel, Remember Me! And STBFL.

Same principles but Rememeber Me is for those impossible scenario Exit Gates during End Game and Ruin is for the added benefit of slowing the game down, but I do swap it out for Corrupt Intervention and or Discordance as well on occasions.

• WTBacon
    WTBacon Member Posts: 593
    Options

My favorite build for Freddy is Nancy's Masterpiece + Nancy's Sketch. For perks I use BBQ, Tinkerer, Save the Best for Last, and Remember Me.

Nancy's Masterpiece + Sketch lets you teleport very often to keep up pressure.

BBQ is for bloodpoints, but the auras happen to be pretty useful.

Tinkerer tells you when a gen is about to be finished so you can teleport and defend it.

I use STBFL and Remember Me as a combo. When you attack a survivor that's not the obsession, you get nothing from Remember Me. If you attack the obsession with STBFL equipped, you lose stacks. When you have both STBFL and Remember Me, you gain something when you attack anyone.

• bomb1720
    bomb1720 Member Posts: 428
    Options

sorry but freddy bores me. i understand him a bit more than i used too but he still bores me :(

i'm wondering whether to set my toes on fire instead :(

• FireHazard
    Options

Depends on what you like in a Killer, if Freddy isn't up to your specifications than you have plenty of other Killers to enjoy!

That's the beauty of having many Killers on a Roster, there's a main for everyone out there.

• DeKillerKiller
    DeKillerKiller Member Posts: 547
    Options

My tactic for Freddy is probably different than yours because I typically don't rely a lot on Snares. They're great and can help get easy hits, but I don't rely on them.

I rely on my teleporation ability which is why I use BBQ & Chili and Discordance as a combo. It will continuously let me know which generators survivors are working on. Or which direction a survivor is going so I can go for an ambush with a gen teleport.

Typically on a normal playthrough of a game, I place Snares around safe loops during the start of a match so I could catch survivors there when they fall asleep. When chasing, I try to go for a hit and run tactic. Make sure everyone's asleep so I can teleport more often and they are more scared of me placing snares. (I've seen survivors run away by just me initiating the animation, it works well enough for me)

I used to use Brutal Strength in place of STBFL but I find that STBFL just makes it so much more easier to end a chase and starting a new one right after. Brutal Strength used to be my combo wtih PGTW but STBFL just makes it so I can focus more on the chase (which is what I typically do whenever I play killer, I don't like to just gen patrol or stealth. I want the chase.)

I also use STBFL over Brutal Strength because typically I think the lower attack cooldown makes up more time compared to Brutal Strength. With Brutal Strength, you'll save time most when there are still pallets to break. Since Freddy is an M1 Killer, his main attack is all he can do to damage survivors. Meaning you'll get more stacks on STBFL naturally. Meaning you'll get full stacks in no time. Meaning you'll start shredding down survivors as if you have permanent Mad Grit.

• thesuicidefox
    edited January 2020
    Options

Good post.

Yea what I was saying about STBFL is just mostly that you don't need it if you spam snares. I am literally placing them constantly. At loops. In the middle of the corn field. Near gens. In tall grass. In random paths I know survivors will take (I'm a survivor main). The idea is to scare them into making mistakes or assuming I might always pay attention to them (or better train them to think I will ignore the screams), and to track them. If you can keep tabs on survivors you know where to pressure them and zone them.

When it comes to a chase, I spam them around loops. Most loops you can use just 1 or 2 well placed snares to end the chase quickly, but some like god window loops (eg. Ironworks) require maybe 4 or so. When you catch a survivor on the second go around a god loop, or super quickly around jungle gym loops, it is really demoralizing to them.

I also sometimes use snares to track when they wake up at clocks. I found putting them in front of clocks can let you know when and where they woke up, so you can go back to hit them to put them back to sleep.

I don't use Brutal either, just saying if I had to pick a chase perk it would be that because survivors tend to drop pallets early, plus it combos nice with PGTW. I'm really not a fan of STBFL at all because it requires you to fully ignore the obsession, which good survivors can take advantage of. Also because it's an obsession perk and I'd prefer to not have those so that I know when a DS is actually in play or not. The only killer I use an obsession perk on often is my primary Spirit build (Dying Light, Thana, Sloppy, Stridor) and in that case I really don't give an F if you have DS because I will just eat it and catch you 10 seconds later.

• FireHazard
    Options

Sounds unique, any build that doesn't need Ruin in it is a plus imo.

That's why I don't use Ruin on my Legion, he doesn't need it and I do quite fine without it!