Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

What do the changes to Gatekeeper mean?

Options
EJmurdermain
EJmurdermain Member Posts: 109
edited January 2020 in Ask the Community

Gatekeeper changes has me a little confused, could someone explain what the changes do to other perks or other smaller details in game.

I want different ideas and suggestions on what's and how's.

Ex: Do I still get credit for the 6th and 7th Gen per minute?

Ex2: If 4 survivors work on separate Gens and all of them get started in the same 4 mins. What impact will that have to Gatekeeper score.

Whatever answers and input is fine, I would appreciate it if you could answer what I didn't ask that would be helpful.

Post edited by EJmurdermain on

Best Answers

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    Answer ✓
    Options

@EJmurdermain

Quotes from the Designer notes post

Here's a quote from the current version of the Gatekeeper Emblem

"Currently, Gatekeeper's underlying points are scored as a number of points per generator remaining to be repaired multiplied by which minute the match is in. Additional points are scored for any remaining generators at the end of the Trial. This provides much less of a reward to a Killer who loses three gens quickly, but then doggedly keeps the last few until the end of the match."

Now here's a quote from the new version of the Gatekeeper Emblem

"The new version of Gatekeeper is simpler: one point is scored per generator remaining to be repaired per minute for the first nine minutes. At the end of the Trial, if both Exit Gates remain closed, additional points are scored. With less focus on keeping seven generators up, we can move on and change Hex: Ruin without making it significantly harder for Killers to do well in Gatekeeper."

Here's a more basic explanation...

the current system (summary)

Basically, if all generators are still up for the first 9 minutes, than the game will multiply the score based on what minute the game ended on and how many generators are still being repaired and or not repaired at all.

Meaning, the game scores for how many generators are left and than multiplies this with the time the game was finished on. So if 4 generators are left but you finished the match in under 2 minutes or exactly 2 minutes, than the game multiplies the points given for each generator that's left and what time it was finished on...

Essentially meaning if you finish the game too early with 4 generators left, your score suffers from the multiplication. It still rewards you additional points for how many generators are left, but the score suffers if you end the game too early... since it depends on how many minutes were gathered to multiply with.

Kind of ironic and it might still be confusing so do let me know... but I don't see how this will matter since you're after the new systems explanation.

the new system (summary)

The new system goes about this a lot differently...

Instead of going off of when the game ends on what minute and multiplying it by how many generators are left, it goes off of how many generators are up and accumulates more points for each generator still incomplete.

So in a sense, one point is scored per generator that remains unfinished PER MINUTE for the first nine minutes, meaning if more generators are up, more points are given every minute, less generators means less points!

And instead of any additional points being rewarded for how many generators are left, it instead rewards you for if BOTH Exit Gates remain closed at the end of the game.

what does this mean?

For example one,

It's only going off of the 5 generators that're up, not the entire 7 generators that're in the match...

And for example two

It goes off of how many generators are currently left or being repaired per minute for the first 9 minutes, meaning if 4 Survivors work on 4 generators, it won't impact the score UNLESS they complete all 4 of those generators within a few minutes of the match, since the score is being added on for every new minute that passes for the first 9 minutes... so if they're being worked on than that doesn't matter, what does matter is if they're completed EARLY!

In a sense, more generators means more points, less generators means less points.

as for perks...

The change works with Ruin, as Ruin regresses the progress on inactive generators by 200% of the normal regression speed... meaning if it can keep those generators from being completed before the first 9 minutes, than it contributes to the Gatekeeper Emblem.

The same goes for every other perk, if these perks can keep all 5 or most of the generators from being completed, than you're rewarded MORE points because MORE generators are up, additional points are than given IF both Exit Gates are left closed, instead of just rewarding additional points for how many generators are left.

conclusion

I do hope this makes things less confusing, as it might help explain it a bit more... or not... LEMME KNOW!

Answers

• EJmurdermain
    edited January 2020
    Options

Your amazing for covering most of my questions although the new system maybe harder to do if I understand correctly. Is it fair to say Corrupt Intervention is a much more powerful perk for Gatekeeper now.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

The new system should make things easier, if anything. It's designed to punish killers less harshly for losing generators in the early game.

Here's an explanation of how it works from a comment I made on a different thread:

Basically, Gatekeeper used to increase the reward exponentially if more generators stayed up for longer. Now, it just rewards a flat amount of points per generator every minute, meaning that a killer who defends five generators for one minute will get the same amount of points as someone who defends one generator for five minutes.

If you want a more detailed explanation, the old Gatekeeper operated on a formula of p = 5 x g x t, where p is the number of emblem points granted every minute, g is the number of generators remaining and t is the number of minutes elapsed. So if a game lasted for five minutes and no generators were completed, the killer would receive 25 points in the first minute (5 x 5 x 1), 50 points in the second minute (5 x 5 x 2), 75 points in the third minute (5 x 5 x 3), 100 points in the fourth minute (5 x 5 x 4) and 125 points in the fifth minute (5 x 5 x 4), plus a bonus for having 5 generators remaining at the end of the trial.

The new Gatekeeper operates on a simpler formula of p = g, where p is the number of emblem points granted every minute, and g is the number of generators remaining. So in the same example of a 5-minute game with no generators completed, the killer would gain 5 points every minute for a total of 25 points, plus a bonus at the end of the game for no gates being opened. If two generators had been done in the first minute but the game had lasted for 9 minutes, the killer would receive 3 points every minute for a total of 27 points, plus the same bonus for no gates being opened. In this way, the new Gatekeeper emblem punishes killers much less harshly for not slowing down repairs in the early game. It's still problematic in other ways, but that's another discussion. Also, the thresholds for earning the different emblem levels (Iridescent, Gold, etc.) will presumably be adjusted to fit with the new points system.

• EJmurdermain
    Options

Those numbers do help, but your answer raised another question, well I have played some intense players before, so if 5 Gens are done in 7 minutes and only one gate is open would that give enough points for brown Gatekeeper.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    Options

We can't accurate depict that information without going over several variables.

If we're talking about the new engine, than you'd probably get the bare-minimum for Silver Gatekeeper, mainly because we'd have to figure out how many generators remained for each individual minute each time (which is how the systems scores, for how many generators are left, it scores 1 point for each generator every minute for 9 minutes).

Meaning say, if all 5 generators were up for 2 minutes... than 2 popped and only 3 were left for 2 more minutes, than 1 or 2 popped and you kept the last few alive (added up to 1 generator left) for the remainder of that time, maybe being about 3 minutes for the last generator or 1 minute for the last 2 and than 2 minutes for the remaining 1.

It's very confusing, but from the sound of it you'd for sure get Brown gatekeeper and be more closer to something like Silver than Brown.