Tunneling vs gen rushing

Notactuallyhim
Notactuallyhim Member Posts: 2
edited January 2020 in General Discussions

This needs to be explained so killer mains can understand.

Why actual tunneling and gen rushing are different.

Gen rushing=survivors enter map and all immediately leap on generators (or if they came in together they jump on one.)

The killer player is still playing freely the entire time. If the survivors are together then he can still use perks or guard specific gens for a 3 gen strat. Gen time together was also nerfed.

If survivors are all on 4 separate gens he can go to any of multiple gens, and attack someone. Still playing freely. He can attack, lob bottles, guard gens, etc.

Tunneling: when a killer main specifically dedicates himself to killing a specific survivor fast as possible. Hooking that person fast as possible, guarding and/or downing them again as fast as possible. The survivor is not getting to play freely, he is spending his time on the hook and likely getting down seconds after being unhooked, then being hooked again for the most limited, restricted, and miserable experience possible. Survivors don't exactly have flamethrowers or pocketknives.

For a simple comparison:imagine playing Star Wars Battlefront. If your team is losing badly you can still give it your best shot. Flank the enemy, surprise attacks, etc. You can still play freely and make a valiant last stand, jump in a tank, put a turret down and duck and shoot from cover, etc.

Now imagine playing Star Wars Battlefront and instead of your team losing badly, an invinceable player dedicates themselves to killing you as soon as you spawn and your gameplay consists of running away then dying quickly. The other people on your "team" might win, but you're not playing freely, the game might as well a downgraded phone edition without half the game. Who on earth in their right mind would spend their free time on that?

Comments

• Cetren
    Cetren Member Posts: 985

To answer the last question, assuming you're still playing the game, you would. You would spend your free time on that.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Good comparison to Battlefront. DS and BT exist but both do very little against a persistent killer. Although both annoying, neither are a very big problem (save 4 toolbox deathsquad)

• Notactuallyhim
    Notactuallyhim Member Posts: 2

Ehhhh DS is 1 time use and requires someone to save you. From solo experience that's a fairly sizeable requirement. Thank you for a good comment.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Xbox? You don't happen to play p3 bill with christmas sweater do you?

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

@EZ5k

No dude if that happens it was just your lack of skill, just learn how to play your Killer dude! /s

• Carlosylu
    Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948

Yes I do, 1 game I'm a p3 bill with christmas and then I change to Dwelf head with P2 body

• Carlosylu
    edited January 2020

Ahm...

You're telling me that it takes you to traverse half of red forest/rotten fields in more than 28.57 seconds...? And that's 4 persons on a gen... How about 2 on one and 2 on another cause you said "2 gens got instantly done", You're telling me that it takes you to traverse half of red forest/rotten fields in more than 44.44 seconds...? And that most teams you get to play against behave like this...?

Let me guess, you don't use reading perks like discordance, slowdown perks like CI or a fast phase killer like Spirit, Billy, Freddy, Demogorgon, Oni, Nurse? I'd say Huntress neither cause if you do use discordance on her you can land throws from pretty far away...

No, better yet, you encounter 4 men SWF teams all with toolboxes and BNPs all the time or most matchs? Cause then both gens got fixed in 20 seconds each!

Man, if that's an usual game for you you need to change your build... And you're just having bad luck...

• ReallyBigShoe
    ReallyBigShoe Member Posts: 764
    edited January 2020

Tunneling is absolutely a thing - since part of the killers objective is to patrol generators in ADDITION to kill the survivors. That's part of where the games balance is broken. It's 4v1, yet the 1 has so much more to do than the 4.

• Carlosylu
    edited January 2020

1st than anything, you might be basing your argument on the fact that you'll always or most of the times face a 4 men SWF (statistics have been released about that and it's not a fact that it is that common) with toolboxes and maybe with BNPs... It's not usual, you can encounter them, but it's not usual...

About the Myers part (NO RUIN):

• Carlosylu
    edited January 2020

So... Let's stick to "every time we play killer we're gonna face a 4 men SWF with toolboxes"? It's not usual man, and about the builds, you need to pick a build to KILL the survivors, not random perks for you to have fun... Strategy

I'm both red ranks in killer and survivor, I play as Trapper and GF main, are you telling me I'm having "good luck"...?

EDIT: I forgot the Demi, yes, go against a red ranks P3 Demi and tell me how it goes for you

• Carlosylu
    edited January 2020

My point is not if he's a good player or not and that's why he did it, my point is that it can be done, I gave you 3 vids of different people, need more?

And if your argument is that he has "1000000000000 hours as reference", then getting good is the point ain't it...?

• LustForBP
    LustForBP Member Posts: 611

Point went over your head.

You cannot say “gen-rushing” is not a “real” thing if tunneling is considered a “real” thing. Since everyone wants to compare the two, it’s illogical to say one isn’t real but the other is and yet still compare them.

• PoisonN
    PoisonN Member Posts: 624

Uh I'm so scared of Demogorgon..... I can hear his footsteps when he's coming miles away, his lunge is the easiest thing to avoid and portals are a joke. Did you really play killer?

• Carlosylu
    edited January 2020

Man, I gave you numbers, video references, examples, if that ain't enough I guess your perception must be the statistical normality here, I'm done arguing, we can agree to disagree. :) As I said in my first comment, I think I have an unpopular opinion

• Carlosylu
    edited January 2020

Cause maps have not affected my ingame experience, the only way I have map issues is with clown and Plague, and I believe it's cause I have them below level 10, no prestige, again, it's just my UNPOPULAR opinion, my experience, my perception, but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this.

• ReallyBigShoe
    ReallyBigShoe Member Posts: 764

I got your facetious point just fine.

Gen rushing is not a thing because it's survivors only objective. They have nothing else to do. Tunneling IS a thing because kills have to patrol gens in addition to killing survivors. They have more inherent objectives, therefore, choosing to ignore one to go after one specific person is tunneling. It's a balance issue, since the power role should have, in theory, less to do.

• PoisonN

I could give numbers too, because Demogorgon is one of the least used killers for a reason but anyway... Yes, we can agree to disagree, that's fine. It because it really hurts me when I see the argument "bad map pressure" when sometimes you can done so much for nothing. Then the game ends.

• Carlosylu

Just out of curiosity, what build do you use and who are your mains?

• PoisonN

Huntress: Barbecue, Whispers, Trilling Thremors and Corrupt Intervention

Hag: Save The Best For The Last, Unrelenting, In All Ears and Corrupt Intervention

Pig: Monitor & Abuse, Whispers, Brutal and Enduring

• Carlosylu

I'm really being serious here, I've been owned in maps like Ormond and not a single gen was done on Rottenfields

I just think that it was caused by me messing up, not cause of the map.

Don't get me wrong, two specific maps give me trouble, but I'm not saying I hate them, they give me more of a challenge, if I 3k+ that's a win for me as killer.

I might be having a different perception of things introjecting the real map issues as an "I made a mistake" not seeing it is actually the map.

My initial point was against the concept of gen rushing, not against map re-making

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    edited January 2020

Don’t make assumptions, gen rush can happen with competent solo survivors too. I’m not going to even bother watching the video because if I play enough games, I too could 4k without ruin using any killer. That doesn’t prove that gen speeds and/or maps are fine.

• Carlosylu
    edited January 2020

You're telling me that it doesn't have to do with you getting good at killer but with gen speed but at the same time you're saying "if I play enough games with, I too could 4k without ruin using any killer", maybe I misunderstood.

Maps can get a look on, but gen speed is not the problem in my opinion and experience

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

It has much more to do with whether or not you get potato survivors in your lobby. In that case, sure, any killer is viable. But there is nothing most killers can do to maintain a map presence.

• Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288

On a side note regarding rushing, I remember a survivor game where me and another player were already at the opened exit gate, he was injured and I tried to heal him, but he ran and escaped.

I asked him about this, and his reply was (exact quote): waste of time.

That's the gen rushing mentality some survivors have :).