Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

Is there a way to play an older version of the game.

Dead by Daylights community always make comments like "the game has never been this broken" and "the game was better before" is there a way for me to play an older version of the game without risking a ban.

Answers

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

No - live, online games like Dead By Daylight typically roll out updates automatically and will not even let players launch the game unless they are using the latest version.

However, if you want to know what the game used to be like, you can find a lot of footage of it somewhere like YouTube just by searching things like "Dead By Daylight beta gameplay" or "Dead By Daylight 2017 gameplay".

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

@MutaTirsat

Players have claimed that you can in the past, but I doubt it's something you can do without being banned.

In-general I wouldn't worry about playing the game during it's Beta/Early years, since most of the meta consisted of several oddities and broken mechanics. Killers would use Iron Grasp and Agitation to bring people to the basement (since hooks perma broken when sabo'ed back then), Survivors would use loops that were literally infinites (since there was no blood-lust mechanic back then), Flashlights were fairly OP, etc.

I could list a lot of the mechanics 2016 had, but it's best to focus on the here and now of DBD. It's good you're curious about it's past though, so i'd recommend looking up old game-play to see how it really ways during the "Wild West" era of DBD.

i'll link a video below to get you started

• MutaTirsat
    MutaTirsat Member Posts: 23

Thank you for your answers. I know the game is in a better state than it was as i was playing back then but i just hate that people don't understand how much the game has changed for the better. Its just that i would like to show that to the people that i play with and who don't trust the dev team at all.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

That's fair enough. You should be able to prove that point fairly easily with a bit of well-chosen gameplay footage from back in the day!

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

Yes, some players like to live in the past, but that's with any game I suppose.

I'm the same way with another game that has been running for almost 2 decades now, the past was the past and the present has highly improved over such trivial concepts, but it's nice to remember the good old days and remember the charm that the "old times" brought.

I can see why some Survivors/Killers feel that way when they mention the old days, despite it being highly inferior to todays mechanics and content, the good old days can really be a fond memory for a lot of players in many games.

If you played the game in 2016 NOW, than you probably wouldn't understand how they feel, it's essentially a nostalgia filter, if you want to look at it in a broader way.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Yes but you will need this...

• Aflito_
    Aflito_ Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2020

Don't mind what people replied in here. Yes, it is possible to run older versions of the game, and legally. Connecting to servers? maybe! since older versions rely on peer-to-peer via steamworks.

Post edited by Aflito_ on
  • Yogerman1997
    Yogerman1997 Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2020

No, because it will make the matchmaking worse.....

And all the survivor will gonna play the early 2016 version with:

-double pallets on every loop

-double window+pallet shack

-infinite fast vault even without moving

-instaheal with self-care+we gonna make it

-no hook respawn (sabometa)

-instablind flashlight+dark map offering, where if the killer run lightborn have the screen even more darker...

-instagens with new brand parts.

-balance landing+sprintburst abuse with separate cooldowns who recharge while running.

-no bloodlust, no windows blocks, no ruin, no pop goes, no gen kick, noed only work 2 minutes.... the only good thing who killer have is the free mori without had to hook... but if you don't catch anyone because .... double pallets and no windows block.... well... easy survivor win XD

Like these guys i deleted from my steam friendlist for playing "spacewar" or "payday2demo"