Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

How was the original Freddy?

Options
Oicimau
Oicimau Member Posts: 897

I knew the weak Freddy they reworked. But i keep reading that Freddy was OP when the DLC came out.

Well, idc if he was OP or not, i just wanna know how were his powers and why some should think he was OP so he got that nerf wich was overkill until his rework.

Tks.

Comments

• OBX
    OBX Member Posts: 854
    Options

The old Freddy was weak but IMO very fun to play. The new Freddy is very boring to me and most of his addons are pointless. I give a lot of props to the design team for the OG Freddy. He was pretty unique. To be honest I’d rather have old Freddy back..... I just enjoyed him more.

• Oicimau
    Options

Oh, i know OG Freddy. I am talking about the original Freddy when his DLC was released. Cause OG Freddy was a nerf of the original one.

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,053
    Options

I never played the on release Freddy, but from what I heared you had to wake up downed Survivors before you could heal them, his terror radius was 16 meters, there wasn't any hud change when a Survivor was asleep, also old Freddy had a small slowdown when you put a Survivor into a dream, they just increased the slowdown, but that's all i know about the on release Freddy nerf.

• drimmalor
    drimmalor Member Posts: 909
    Options

The original state that Freddy was in was tuned in a way that created unfun gameplay, and I even said back then that the nerfs were justified. Here's a list of the original infamous changes and why I think they were reasonable:

• 16m Terror Radius --> 24m Terror Radius. This made it very difficult to reasonably escape Freddy, as he could see the aura of any asleep survivor outside his Terror Radius. Combined with Monitor & Abuse, it didn't feel rewarding or good to escape a chase.
    • Slugged survivors had to be woken up first before healing. They also did not wake up if healed up while still asleep (Unbreakable, or by another sleeping survivor). This made Freddy's slug potential very strong, which could lead to slugging as a predominant strategy.

There may be some other things I'm forgetting, but it was more from maintaining a fun and interactive experience playing against him more so than his strength. Some may equate this to a character being OP, which is a valid opinion. Even after his changes, playing against a Freddy that knew how to make good use of the information from his aura reading could lead to an experience that dragged on and felt like there wasn't much you could do. The problems mentioned above with his original numbers also showed up in the nerfed version, but to less an oppressive extent.

• Oicimau
    Options

Thanks all for the answers, and specially @drimmalor for the details and explanation. Now I got it. :)

• Ace_trainerJosh
    Ace_trainerJosh Member Posts: 16
    Options

Yah the original Freddy would mostly be used to slug people, you would even slig the first or two people you downed and then continue, with the added slow down of being asleep and not really ever knowing when Freddy was around and the fact no one knew how to plan against him it made him pretty unstoppable.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    Options

I mean, I didn't really slug with him that much and still 4k'ed.

The real threat was not knowing where he was, so people would just hide behind the worst cover imaginable and basically be a free it, after that it's entirely M1 skills from there.

Most if not all first hits are just from people hiding in plain sight and than getting hit because they got slept by a Z + Unicorn block Freddy.