Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

Is lag switching worth reporting if you do not have Video evidence.

Options

I know that the devs typically want video evidence of things but if a killer or survivor was continually doing lag switching game after game and reports for the same thing kept rolling in would they be punished? Do the Devs have a way to tell if someone lag switched during gameplay without video evidence?

Best Answer

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    Options

@theman0864

Lag switching is considered Unsportsmanlike conduct, and is put under that exact section in the Game Rules post as a result. I'll give a "quote" below of this section in the Game Rules post.

UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT

• Botting
    • Lag switching
    • Disconnects (leaving the match before killed or sacrificed) - DO NOT REPORT
    • For both Botting and Lag switching, in-game reports are REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

Most, if not every report requires an in-game report and an optional support ticket. In the case of Lag Switching, it doesn't list video recording as a mandatory thing, so i'd have to say no in your case. Screenshots and/or Video Recordings are mostly optional, despite this though, they're very helpful and they can solve an issue a lot faster sometimes when presented with hard hitting evidence of the offence.

So to end it off here, i'd say no, it's not entire necessary for you to record lag switching in-game. If you'd like to still do so, than it's of course beneficial for solving the issue a lot quicker, as video evidence can speak volumes on a certain issue, especially if it involves a player actively gaining an advantage in-game.

Here's the link to the Game rules post for further review if NECESSARY

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19450/game-rules-and-report-system#latest

Answers

• theman0864
    theman0864 Member Posts: 39
    Options

Awesome, thanks for this answer. I will definitely start reporting lag switching when It seems like they are cheating.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

I'll just add that even though the rules don't say that video evidence is mandatory, the devs are very careful about who they ban and generally won't ban anyone unless they're absolutely certain that they're guilty - and it's hard to be certain without any evidence. So common sense, if not the Game Rules themselves, would dictate that you do need evidence for something to be done. Point being, feel free to report them, but don't be surprised if they don't get punished.

Also, lag switching isn't possible on dedicated servers as far as I'm aware, since the technique relies on being able to manipulate the other players' connections, so unless you're on Xbox they're likely not cheating to begin with.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    Options

No problem, it's beneficial for the sake of the ticket if you do add video evidence or not, it can even solidify the case if you do so. So it's entirely optional, but it's of course appreciated and beneficial to your case if you did record it.