Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

I need to know if I Bot.... has been answered thank you

NecroGoatLord
NecroGoatLord Member Posts: 34
edited March 2020 in Ask the Community

Can someone please explain to me what "Botting" is?

Bear in mind I'm 50 & find it hard keeping up with the lingo you youngsters use ;)

Thanks in advance \m/

Post edited by NecroGoatLord on

Best Answers

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓

@NecroGoatLord

It's a term that some gamers use to describe someone that's using an automated A.I. to play their games for them. It's non-existent in this game though, and the term is mostly to describe someone who's playing bad or like an A.I. that plays in an automated way.

So when someone says "What're you a bot?" or "What a bot" they're using a slang term to say your skills as a Survivor/Killer are bad. That, or they're saying you play like someone who doesn't "think quick on their feet" or something. It's hard to honestly describe why that's "insulting", but if you've seen how a bot plays in any other game you can tell they're not an actual player from how bad their "skills" are, how automated their movements are in-game, and other factors as well depending on what game you're playing.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Answer ✓

If you don't know whether you're botting or not, then as far as that rule is concerned, you're not. The rule refers specifically to external programs that players previously used to play the game for them. Typically, people would use it to farm XP as killer - the bot would just stand in one spot and occasionally turn around or swing so that they didn't get flagged for being AFK. I believe most bots were also programmed to automatically requeue for new games, so you could just turn your botting software on, leave the game running and come back later for the rewards. I think it's still possible, but it seems to have generally fallen out of use.

Answers