Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

getting robbed at gengrabing

kill_bill
kill_bill Member Posts: 60

he folks,

i play a lot of pig the last days and i like to sneak upon ppl to grab them from gens. well, in at least 80% the grabs the animation starts and then got interupted while the survivor is allready several meters away. so i dont even get a hit.

my connection in the matches is allways around green with 50-60 ms.

i dont understand where the problem is. is it my connection, the survivor ones or the dedicated servers?

its really getting frustrating because the early hooks are so important

Best Answer

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Answer ✓

The short answer is, it's a combination of your connection and the survivor's - if yours is fine, the survivor's might be bad - and it's also something the devs are aware of and are looking into fixing.

Here's the longer answer, taken from this summary post that I made of what was said on the last developer livestream:

Why do grabs often get cancelled without a hit?

This is part of the “infamous” interruption system. When the game was first released, it operated exclusively on a peer-to-peer system, where the server was the killer’s machine. So whenever the killer tried to grab a survivor, it would work, because the killer had little to no latency. Since dedicated servers were introduced, this mechanic has become increasingly problematic, since not only does the killer have to register a grab on their end, but the survivor’s machine also needs to register and acknowledge the grab for it to work. There can be a significant enough delay between these two inputs that by the time the information from the killer reaches the survivor, the survivor has usually already stopped performing the grabbable action. Essentially, there has to be agreement between the two machines, and the killer can’t grab a survivor who is no longer grabbable. This feels unusually bad for the killer because they not only miss their grab, but they also don’t get a hit either and just end up “waving” at the survivor.

This is another important latency-based issue that the developers are not satisfied with currently and are working on fixing, with the aim of creating an experience that makes sense and feels fair for all players. Interrupts and grabs, in particular, can definitely be improved upon because the developers have a very clear idea of what needs to be done to fix it, so in this case it is “just a matter of time in an ongoing process”.

Answers