Your opinions on toolbox change

You now repair less of a gen but way faster.

This now makes engineers toolbox the best toolbox in the game for repairing (which is a good thing).

The problem is how fast gens are completed now. While toolboxes don't last long, basic addons like wire spool and scraps make toolboxes a [BAD WORD] to deal with. Combine this with streetwise, which is a very good perk after the medkit and toolbox changes, and genrushing is WAY more stressful than it used to be. But hey, maybe I'm just bad and complaining for nothing. I'm interested to hear both survivor and killer mains' opinions.

Comments

• FichteHiro
    FichteHiro Member Posts: 711

I feel like it is a nerf. Charge Add-ons have been nerfed as well, but the normal Gen speed in itself is already insanely fast. Toolboxes don't affect the game so drastically anymore because the game also goes faster now. Toolboxes are now basically less OP and more durable Brand New Parts, and the strategy behind the two is kinda similar, now.

• Blazelski
    Blazelski Member Posts: 351
    edited March 2020

If you open a chest in the game without Pharmacy, get a brown toolbox, and repair a generator with it, I think you either get refunded your time or end up with a time deficit. It is no longer worth looting a chest unless you have chest perks or really need a medkit. I also used to run chest perks, but since toolboxes are essentially bust, I might abandon that fun build for something more meta... which I didn't want to do.

• burntFuse
    burntFuse Member Posts: 290

What if instead of speeding up gen repairs, toolboxes added a buffer zone to gen progress where they'll no longer regress below a certain level?

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

I think they’re in a much better spot now. Seeing four toolboxes before the nerf almost guaranteed a loss.

• inferjus
    inferjus Member Posts: 479

Now you can finish the gen right in the killer's face instead of making him see the pop-up in hte distance. New toolboxes are better in sending "fu*k you" message to killer.

• BattleCast
    BattleCast Member Posts: 698

New toolbox add-ons are terrible.

just look at new instructions... yikes.

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192
    edited March 2020

Honestly its not much of a change for me. The times I brought in a toolbox before the nerf I didn't plan on relying upon it. Nowadays the only difference is that I keep hold of the toolbox until the last gen for a quick speed boost.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Toolboxes are pretty much useless now. I don't even use them anymore.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

Toolboxes and addons got nerfed hard. Toolboxes are only good to Sabo hooks and that is bs because hooks are so close.

• stvnhthr
    stvnhthr Member Posts: 777

Toolboxes are now pointless except to sabo. Has totally changed game play for the worse. Toolboxes were a minor advantage for Survivors now they are pointless and silly. They are depleted in 5 seconds and you get about a fifth of a generator done. All the statements that they don't last as long and repair just as much is utter bs. Anyone with eyes can see they do very little before being depleted. They now are just as pointless as keys and maps with all their add-ons in the bloodweb. The good new is it is so terrible the devs are going to have to do something soon. Twenty hours in with the latest patch and I have yet to see 5 gens repaired or any Survivors escape. The game currently is unfun and a waste of time. Not sure if the Devs wanted to drive folks away but it sure is working. I do like the fact the 5-20 minute waits in lobbies is now down to seconds, they got that part right of course I'm always playing against super killers now.

• AlbinoViera
    AlbinoViera Member Posts: 169

Personally, I like the change. I've been playing survivor more often than I do Killer nowadays, and after using one in a couple of games, I've actually enjoyed it. Instead of Toolboxes being something you take to just finish two gens in half the time with. You now have actual variety with the add-ons and have to use your brain for a change. Can use it to save people from hooks, or get one of the first gens done quickly. Or, save it until the end when you need that speed boost most. Hell, use the Technician perk and the Spring-Clamp add-on to not make a sound when repairing. (I think they stack at the very least. Haven't tested it properly)

Trouble is though, it's like when they nerfed Spirit and Nurse. They're still good, but because they're weaker than before, no-one wants to use them.

• BattleCast
    BattleCast Member Posts: 698

Totally agree, an engineers toolbox with double speed add ons can quickly finish a gen and bypass the 3 gen strategy that killers sometimes use.

even if it works only for 16 seconds that’s really all it needs to be good.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

Toolboxes are useless now. Bringing a firecracker makes more inpact then the best possible toolbox, only BNPs still have some value. I have no idea what they were thinking tbh, now survivors just sit on trash items. 16-32 charges is nothing, thats probably less then 30% of a gen. And the repairspeed is not that crazy, i can barly feel a difference to old toolboxes.

Personally i dont care, since i never run items anyway, but this is not wise ballancing (simpy removing them at all more or less). IF there is a problem with genspeed, was this a wise decision to remove an item of the game? I dont think so.

• Deadman316
    Deadman316 Member Posts: 578

There would be no toolbox nerf if they didn't nerf Hex Ruin.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

Remember when killer mains were whining because they thought new toolboxes were a buff? lmao

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

My opinion on it is that they should just give some of the add ons an entirely new meaning.

Toolboxes no longer feel impactful to gameplay and while I understand 4 of them made a huge difference in gen speed, I would have rather them been changed to do something entirely different.

Perhaps apply a “status” to a specific gen where if more than 2 people are working on it for longer than “15 seconds” of the gen is kicked the regression is slower for “15 seconds”. Just something more interesting. The new change has left them very underwhelming feeling.

• OtakuFreak
    OtakuFreak Member Posts: 206

I think they're perfect the way they are. They can aid the speed on a generator by a much more limited amount now and allows for more time spent in the trial.

Let's be honest with ourselves, they were too strong and needed nerfing.

• Slamadam
    Slamadam Member Posts: 53

dont quite understand why they pretty much turned every toolbox into a bnp instead of just removing repairing with em all together.

• Danu
    Danu Member Posts: 281

Definitely a nerf even with the added speed boost, I never bring toolboxes for any other reason than potential sabo now but will still always choose medkit over toolbox